Legend of the galactic heroes
Nov 30, 2022 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
Joechungus69 said:
Best one will probably be High school DxD

best answer, sure
Nov 30, 2022 1:38 PM
Oct 2021
my choice in this genre is always Psycho-pass. Maybe could you like Ergo proxy.
Nov 30, 2022 1:49 PM
Jun 2021
orphicleen said:
Moriarty the Patriot

Moriarty is Sooo underrated
Nov 30, 2022 2:05 PM
Jun 2021
WVM said:
Can anybody recommend me an series which MAY BE

1. SERIOUS
2. THRILLER
3. PUT ME IN DEPRESSION
4. WILL MAKE ME GIVE UP ON MY LIFE

P.S. : pls forgive me if ENGLISH is bad....it ain't my language so pls IGNORE my ERRORS

Nana
Welcome to the NHK
Nov 30, 2022 2:27 PM
Aug 2021
larsenl said:
I didn't see B - The Beginning, a somewhat depressing show that might meet your criteria, in your PTW list.

B is really not great
Nov 30, 2022 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
inim said:
greengolem said:
I thinks Texhnolyze fulfills all your criteria

+1 to Texnolyze. Also consider that show's little sister "Gunslinger Girl" and it's uglier (yet even more depressing) cousin "Gilgamesh". If anime movies qualify, Korea shines. Start with "The King of the Pigs" and just watch everything that director made. "The Fake" is also glorious.

Gunslinger Girl has to be one of the most solemn anime I've seen. It's almost bizarre how professional the writing is considering the potential for fetishization and really the inherent premise.
Nov 30, 2022 2:53 PM
Mar 2022
eman146 said:
Re:Zero has some light hearted moments, but when it gets dark, it gets DARK

yea definitely
a really good pick
Nov 30, 2022 3:04 PM
Aug 2022
Evangelion definitely made me feel empty after finishing it
Nov 30, 2022 3:21 PM
Jun 2022
monster is a good one for serious, psychological, thriller and dark with an amazing antagonist
Nov 30, 2022 3:21 PM
Jun 2022
rational_psycho said:
Monster. Must watch if you haven’t seen it

happy to see good taste here 👏👏👏
Nov 30, 2022 3:25 PM
May 2021
For serious: Grimgar: Fantasy of Fire and Ash or smth like that.

To get messed up emotionally: Rascal does not dream of Bunny-girl Senpai

Oh and Evangelion is both except you'll also be confused mentally
Nov 30, 2022 4:07 PM

Dec 2019
Stand Alone Complex series, dub is very good as well if the series is too difficult on subs.

I see a lot of Texhnolyze which I kinda second - after finishing an episode, look through "episode discussion" (MaL, Reddit) cause it explains a lot otherwise it'll be a very complex and boring experience
Nov 30, 2022 4:30 PM
Sep 2014
WVM said:

1. SERIOUS
2. THRILLER
3. PUT ME IN DEPRESSION

P.S. : pls forgive me if ENGLISH is bad....it ain't my language so pls IGNORE my ERRORS

Ergo Proxy
Monster
Nov 30, 2022 4:46 PM
Aug 2014
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne anyone?
Nov 30, 2022 4:50 PM
Jun 2022
Monster. It's literally Perfect.
Nov 30, 2022 5:15 PM
Oct 2020
I would agree with 86 being mentioned. That and probably grave of the fireflies if you wanna get depressed lol
Nov 30, 2022 5:20 PM
Jan 2022
WVM said:

1. SERIOUS
2. THRILLER
3. PUT ME IN DEPRESSION

Evangelion and monster
Nov 30, 2022 5:26 PM

Jan 2021
WVM said:

1. SERIOUS
2. THRILLER
3. PUT ME IN DEPRESSION

Serial Experiments Lain:

‘98 short series that predicted how the internet and social media would take over people’s lives and become more real than reality itself.

Will make you rethink your life.
Nov 30, 2022 5:57 PM

Feb 2020
Monster
Berserk
Anything by Gen Urobuchi (Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass, etc.)
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Nov 30, 2022 5:58 PM
Mar 2022
serial experiments lain
azumanga daioh
Nov 30, 2022 6:27 PM
Nov 2017
japan sinks:2020 and to your eternity
Nov 30, 2022 8:08 PM
Jun 2015
aoi bungaku series. really good anime. short as well.
Nov 30, 2022 9:16 PM
Nov 2022
Boku no pico
Highly recommended
Nov 30, 2022 9:34 PM

Feb 2021
greengolem said:
I thinks Texhnolyze fulfills all your criteria

darkest anime of all time, and it's not even close.
Dec 1, 2022 12:46 AM
Mar 2022
WVM said:

1. SERIOUS
2. THRILLER
3. PUT ME IN DEPRESSION

Neon genesis
Berserk (1997)
Monster
Devilman crybaby
Elfen lied
Psycho pass
Aoi bungaku series
Dec 1, 2022 1:01 AM

Jul 2013
You could definitely take Golgo 13 very seriously. Especially when you are fed up with other anime being made up of like 90% comedy.

I hate mindless comedy shows also.

By the way, Golgo 13 could easily kill Naraku which is technically still human and is no match against modern weaponry. You won't see that incomplete demon take a bullet hole in his chest like it's nothing and will feel pain at the last second.

Doesn't take a thermonuclear bomb or a Barret to take that cowardly bastard out.

Want more absence of comedy, then watch Madlax.

Watch Solty Rei if you want to see tragic deaths.
Dec 1, 2022 1:35 AM
Mar 2022
Psycho-Pass is also a really good option
Dec 1, 2022 3:04 AM

Feb 2022
Kaiji, season 1 and 2

Dec 1, 2022 3:09 AM
Jul 2021
First season of To Your Eternity broke me. I mean like balling in a room alone needing time to cool down between episodes broke me lmao
Dec 1, 2022 6:23 AM
Feb 2022
- Neon Genesis evangelion, especially the End of Evangelion movie, a really nihilistic and pessimistic film.

- Phantom : Requiem for the phantom

- Black Lagoon, not depressing but definitely a serious and somewhat realistic show, watch all the episodes including the five ova as they too are part of the main story.

- Death Note, I think you might have already seen that.

- Tokyo Ghoul, just season 1 and just the first episode of season 2 for the rest read the manga, somewhat depressing but a serious seinen anime show.

And One more thing, Do Not Give Up on Your Life Buddy.
Jatin587Dec 4, 2022 3:56 AM
Dec 1, 2022 8:29 AM

Oct 2022
WVM said:

1. SERIOUS
2. THRILLER
3. PUT ME IN DEPRESSION

Parasyte and Death Parade please watch these if you have not, they are incredible and life changing

also Attack on Titan
REGULAR SHOW TROUNCES ANY ANIME. PEAK FICTION

We protect other species because humans themselves are lonely creatures. We protect the environment because humans themselves don’t want to go extinct. What drives us is simply self-gratification. But I think that’s fine, and that it’s really all there is to it. There’s no point in despising humans by human standards. That’s right. So in the end, it’s hypocritical for us to love Earth without loving ourselves.
Dec 1, 2022 1:10 PM

Jun 2022
Monster, you should whatch Monster.
Dec 1, 2022 1:33 PM
Feb 2021
Monster, made in abyss, dororo
Dec 1, 2022 2:15 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I was going to mention Texhnolyze but it looks like the first guy to respond already beat me to it.

This isn't post-anime-depression that makes you sad when the story ends and you end up missing the characters so much it makes you cry. This is like, ACTUAL depression, the anime itself is depressing; just to clarify, since I'm not completely sure to what degree of depression you mean for #3. #4, however, without spoilers, yeah it kind of does make you want to give up on life ngl. For #1 and #2, it is serious, and can be called PSYCHOLOGICAL thriller, but it's certainly quite slow, so it's not like a THRILLER thriller if you know what I mean.

I see you've already added it to your PTW list so I guess I don't even have to say anything anymore. However if this anime is not your type (it's kind of old), then... well I don't know exactly what to recommend since I don't know what you prefer as you haven't scored any of your completed entries lol. All good though. Maybe you just value every single anime you've seen so much that you can't quite put a number on it; priceless, in a sense.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 1, 2022 2:19 PM

Nov 2012
Serial Experiments Lain
Grave of the Fireflies
+1 for Psycho Pass, Perfect Blue, and Akira
Dec 1, 2022 5:07 PM

Aug 2017
Devil man Cry baby and Wolf’s Rain fulfill all of these criteria’s.
You will be depressed and emotionally scarred by the end of it.

Dec 1, 2022 5:49 PM
Apr 2021
Parasyte

(Character limit)
Dec 1, 2022 9:48 PM
Feb 2018
Mnemosyne
Now and then, here and there
Dec 1, 2022 11:17 PM
Sep 2022
eman146 said:
Re:Zero has some light hearted moments, but when it gets dark, it gets DARK

i agree with this one ;)
Dec 2, 2022 1:05 AM
May 2021
WVM said:

1. SERIOUS
2. THRILLER
3. PUT ME IN DEPRESSION

It's not the series, but it's really SERIOUS. I mean books "Crime and Punishment" and "War and Peace". I think that this both is really one of the greatest work of fiction.
About anime I can recommend you "Kaze no nawa Amnesia", "Tenshi no Tamago", "Legend of the Galactic Heroes", "Texhnolyze"; about manga - "Berserk", "Vagabond", "Monster", "The Horizon" and "Oyasumi, Punpun". That's all.
Dec 2, 2022 3:30 AM
Nov 2022
WVM said:

1. SERIOUS
2. THRILLER
3. PUT ME IN DEPRESSION

In that case, I suggest real life
Dec 2, 2022 5:11 AM

Dec 2018
People on here straight up lying to you. Cowboy Bebop, Cyberpunk, Black Lagoon, Re:Zero, Code Geass, School Days, Death Parade, etc. whatever these people on but these aren't SERIOUS serious anime. The first 3 are especially campy, so I have no clue how tf you can call that serious. The rest of what's listed are garbage but try them out if you want. They're not what you're looking for though.

Texhnolyze has been mentioned a couple of times and yea I guess it would sort of fit your description, but it's a bit stupid at times. I guess Monster is pretty serious but I also found it kinda stupid. Generally I just don't really like overly serious anime because I think they can never reach the proper 'seriousness' of a normal live-action movie. More specifically I don't feel like they're engineered to be that way.

Here are my recommendations:
'Serious' but playful and self-aware: Paranoia Agent.
'Serious' but imaginative enough to more than warrant its purpose to be animated: Angel's Egg, Lain (none of which are thrillers though).

Still, I'm usually very picky with serious anime because, again, most of them are pretty dumb.
. . .
Dec 2, 2022 7:04 AM
May 2021
Preachee said:
People on here straight up lying to you. Cowboy Bebop, Cyberpunk, Black Lagoon, Re:Zero, Code Geass, School Days, Death Parade, etc. whatever these people on but these aren't SERIOUS serious anime. The first 3 are especially campy, so I have no clue how tf you can call that serious. The rest of what's listed are garbage but try them out if you want. They're not what you're looking for though.

Texhnolyze has been mentioned a couple of times and yea I guess it would sort of fit your description, but it's a bit stupid at times. I guess Monster is pretty serious but I also found it kinda stupid. Generally I just don't really like overly serious anime because I think they can never reach the proper 'seriousness' of a normal live-action movie. More specifically I don't feel like they're engineered to be that way.

'Serious' but imaginative enough to more than warrant its purpose to be animated: Angel's Egg, Lain (none of which are thrillers though).

Still, I'm usually very picky with serious anime because, again, most of them are pretty dumb.

Most of original movies also can't reach a "seriousness" of classic literature.
NechtoDec 2, 2022 7:11 AM
Dec 2, 2022 7:15 AM

Dec 2018
Nechto said:
Preachee said:

Most of movies also can't reach a "seriousness" of classic literature.

Nope not necessarily. Reason for my belief is that animation itself should not be bounded by that kind of 'seriousness' and, collaterally, realism to begin with. And in fact for the most part it really isn't.

Also what do you mean by "classic" anyway?
. . .
Dec 2, 2022 7:35 AM
May 2021
Preachee said:
Nechto said:

Most of movies also can't reach a "seriousness" of classic literature.

Nope not necessarily. Reason for my belief is that animation itself should not be bounded by that kind of 'seriousness' and, collaterally, realism to begin with. And in fact for the most part it really isn't.

Also what do you mean by "classic" anyway?

Yeah, not neccesiary, but a lot of "good films" which known as "serious" - not so serious as The greatest books(excluding film which maded by books).

I mean "Classic" - is the most known in the world works of fiction which recognizing like "one of the best works of art".
"War and Peace", "Anna Karenina", "Mobey Dick", "The Catcher in the Rye" etc.
Dec 2, 2022 7:46 AM

Dec 2018
Nechto said:
Yeah, not neccesiary, but a lot of "good films" which known as "serious" - not so serious as The greatest books(excluding film which maded by books).

Well then I'm having a hard time understanding why you initiated this discussion. I appreciate the comparison but I don't know why you'd tell me, but sure I'll give you some of my thoughts.

Nechto said:
I mean "Classic" - is the most known in the world works of fiction which recognizing like "one of the best works of art".
"War and Peace", "Anna Karenina", "Mobey Dick", "The Catcher in the Rye" etc.

Ehhh, seriously? Tell me whatever films you're referring to. Half of my favorites are quite serious works (excluding the very apparent sardonic tone, if you will), which also happen to be original materials. So I totally don't buy that. I guess it's more of an experience thing anyway.

And honestly, The Catcher in the Rye? Interesting because I've always thought that novel was far from serious. And not the biggest fans of all these other works (especially War and Peace) but I do suppose they are very serious works, so I at least acknowledge that.

Just to clarify, I don't make "seriousness"/realism a go-to or THE criteria. Quite far from it actually.

Edit: also I'll have to ask you about the "seriousness" we're talking about and hopefully we're both referring to the same concept. And what constitutes the 'seriousness' anyway? What makes you think the books hold more 'seriousness' than movies, because in principle, I just simply don't think that's the case.
PreacheeDec 2, 2022 7:56 AM
. . .
Dec 2, 2022 8:00 AM

Nov 2022
cyberpunk edgerunner :O

Dec 2, 2022 9:51 AM
Sep 2020
WVM said:

1. SERIOUS
2. THRILLER
3. PUT ME IN DEPRESSION

Anime: 3-Gatsu no Lion
Manga: Oyasumi Punpun
Game: Omori
Dec 2, 2022 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
So I'm biased because they're in my favorites list, but I recommend Elfen Lied and Jigoku Shoujo. Every episode is painful and sad to watch.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - 43 minutes ago

0 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
43 minutes ago

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

2 by ST63LTH »»
2 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - 11 hours ago

3 by Toha »»
3 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

67 by Natedog22 »»
5 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.