Forum Settings
Forums

Now that MAL badges is dead, we need a new alternative

New
Should MAL make their own badging system like this?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 4, 2022 9:57 AM

Nov 2019

I see, alrighty then.

Dec 5, 2022 1:07 PM
Raw Gamer

Apr 2016
Koito91 said:

To avoid any misunderstandings, I went to Jikan_ as a user and not as MAL as we Mods are not involved in dev-things and if they ever consider it, it will take a while and I'm already happy that we're getting more updates lately which is shown in Announcements.
I just want to host it separately (without ads or memberships, free etc...) just as it was and bring some updates in it that you mentioned here as I'm a coder myself.

I am very happy about this. I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Dec 5, 2022 8:42 PM
Aug 2018
Koito91 said:
Just in case, I'm currently in talk with Jikan_ to host it.
Maybe we can also implement some ideas _cjessop19_ had in here.

Please make it open source.
Dec 8, 2022 10:38 PM

Jul 2015
-Ryoto- said:

But honestly, considering there are threads asking for Dark Mode as far back as 2013 and we have nothing of sort, it kind of makes me wonder if this will ever happen.

I remember reading somewhere that Dark Mode would require some fundamental changes to the code or changes to every individual page or something that made it a massive undertaking. So it's not that it takes the devs several years to get something done, it more depends on the size of the job. In fact, I think the deciding factors in if/when this idea (or anything else, I guess) gets implemented are:
1a. How much do users want it?
Evidently, a lot. mal-badges.net was apparently getting 50,000-60,000 views a month (https://www.similarweb.com/website/mal-badges.net/#overview)

1b. How much do the devs care what users say they want?
Was anyone clamoring for Interest Stacks? I doubt it, but the devs thought it was a good idea. A lot of people are making Interest Stacks and using them, so I guess it was a good idea. My point being, there are other factors involved in decision making than just what users say they want.

2. How hard is it going to be to add on?
My guess is the difficulty wouldn't be in creating the system (considering it has already been done before, by one student who had to do it all externally) but in integrating it into the existing framework of the site.

3. How much do the devs already have planned that they need to get to first?
They have been adding a lot of features all of a sudden recently, so there may be more features lined up waiting.

Basically, I have no idea how anything works and I'm just thinking out loud. Sorry if this isn't the least bit helpful.

I think the idea for the Achievements (can't call it Badges because they just implemented a Badges system a few months ago) feature is as fleshed out as it needs to be at this point and we have all agreed that we want this feature. What is the next step? Is there some way that we can submit a proposal to MAL devs? I think the most useful thing at this point would be feedback from them on what their concerns or objections are. What would make this feature more do-able or more appealing to them? Are they even interested at all or are we wasting our time? That sort of thing.
Dec 12, 2022 9:23 AM

Nov 2017
I liked Mal-badges very much. It was actually the main reason why I have been watching so many different anime genres, and not only some popular shounen/seinen series what I earlier liked to see.

Let's hope that same old badge system can continue in some way.
Dec 13, 2022 8:37 AM

Nov 2018
Guys, please check out the MAL Badges club for new info. The site is finally back up as well under a new url.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Dec 13, 2022 9:32 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
_cjessop19_ said:
Guys, please check out the MAL Badges club for new info. The site is finally back up as well under a new url.

Nice, now that MAL Badges is back I'm level 25 with 72 badges and 35300xp.

Thanks for resurrecting MAL Badges.
Dec 13, 2022 1:47 PM

Jun 2021
I tried accessing the site and couldn't until I realized that it's no longer http://www.mal-badges.net. So it's https://www.mal-badges.com now. Thanks for reviving and improving the badge system. And there's even dark mode!
Dec 13, 2022 11:33 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
_cjessop19_ said:

Really appreciate the efforts to preserve and revamp the site! MAL-badges has been an important part of the community for a long time, and I hope the new site sees a lot of adoption
Dec 14, 2022 1:04 AM

Nov 2018
Kwanthemaster said:
_cjessop19_ said:

Really appreciate the efforts to preserve and revamp the site! MAL-badges has been an important part of the community for a long time, and I hope the new site sees a lot of adoption

I’ll make sure we get rewarded for all the shorts and MVs we watch. I’ll definitely make a few badges to have people watch some weird shit

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Dec 14, 2022 11:49 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
_cjessop19_ said:
Kwanthemaster said:

I’ll make sure we get rewarded for all the shorts and MVs we watch. I’ll definitely make a few badges to have people watch some weird shit

Heh, appreciate it! Getting people to watch some of the bizarre things in the database like Nami (RIP) was one of the best things about the site. Things certainly seem to be moving in the right direction with the planned update, so I look forward to what's to come!
Dec 16, 2022 12:54 AM

Jul 2015
Congratulations and thanks, Koito and Professor cjessop19! I love that there's a badge for Watamote, which is so underrated. Inarguably, MAL Badges is back and better than ever!
Dec 17, 2022 4:14 PM

Jul 2015
kuroava said:
well, it is pretty much ruined, it was fine as it was, goodbye mal badges, rip

They're still working on it. There are some issues, but I'm sure it will be working properly soon. Don't judge too hastily.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Today, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.