Forum Settings
Forums

Now that MAL badges is dead, we need a new alternative

New
Should MAL make their own badging system like this?
Nov 26, 2022 6:56 AM

Nov 2018
BIG EDIT: MAL-Badges is back up, please check out the MAL-Badges club for link to website and new updates for the new features and updates we'll be adding soon: https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74510

EDIT: Google spreadsheet of how points and badges can be earned. Please go through this document once you've read this post: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KIT0KaceKrY6AgR0m8rC2O_4ObqT4UDq3lP5Y4ZXGmY/edit?usp=sharing

(Please check back once in a while as I will be adding more suggestions at the bottom as I come up with more ideas)

MAL badges was a cool way to see how people were ranked against others in terms of their progression with their lists. I've been using the site since the start of 2019, I believe several thousands of people used it as well.

But now some dickhead has taken over the site and has permanently closed it whilst plugging his own DB website (an alternative to MAL apparently).

http://www.mal-badges.net/

We need an alternative, and since the site has shut down, I think MAL has a good reason to capitalize on this gap in the market and make their own badging system that is different to the badges we get from events. Something that works in tandem with our anime and manga lists. I believe this can be a successful and well-received feature if done right. And this doesn't have to be a third-party feature.

MAL can take advantage of this by taking what was originally there and implementing new features.
For example:
- Automated yearly badges by scanning the DB for titles that start in each year. This can expand the range of badges outside of the original 1980-20XX range and can determine how many entries are needed for each year badge (badge levels increase with no. of entries in increments of 50/100 after a certain limit, maybe scan the DB once a month perhaps in order to update? (check excel sheet for more detail)

- New genre and theme badges. (Each level badge could be a different image of different main characters or things related to the series. For example: There are over 1200 mecha anime, so we can have many different faces used for the dozen or so mecha badges, or with shounen, you can use different character faces perhaps) (check excel sheet for examples)

- New individual badges for obscure and meme'd anime (we need an Ex-Arm badge) / aka challenge badges (which can also run alongside interest stack challenge badges) (a good idea is to make a club for MAL badges and allow users to submit ideas and challenges and host competitions for new badge releases) (check excel sheet for examples)

- New studio badges (pretty self-explanatory, something that MAL badges couldn't do)

- Increase the number of badge levels beyond lvl 30 (check excel sheet for examples and how each badge can be capped)

- New badge designs (Host a public contest to submit designs, if we do 100 levels, it should be 10x10 badges for each increment of 10 levels (like how MAL badges did increments of 5)) (see note below)

- Badges based on completing entire franchises (Gundam/Pokemon/OP/AoT/Monogatari etc. badges denoted with series-related images - Monogatari badge is just an image of a toothbrush or Gundam badge is an image of the head of the RX-78-2 for example) (see note below)

- Hovering over badges can give a small description of what they're about. Can be good for memes/meta jokes. Maybe selecting a badge can open a small window in the tab to enlarge the image and have text underneath?

To go beyond what was originally there, we can get MAL badges for our manga stats as well and have the points merge together so our rank and points are determined by both anime and manga (which incentivizes people to read more manga). The manga portion of the badges would be bigger than the anime portion due to the number of entries in the DB, and we can set a lot more challenges with obscure and meme series (among us badge?) (check excel sheet for examples)

This should be an opt-in system, and to prevent too much stress on the site, maybe limit manual badge updates to once per day?

(note for badge design: a main badge to denote our badge/profile level & points, and in a table below (sub-badges) for each year/challenge/genre & theme badge earned/not earned yet (missing badges are a translucent/grey image of the lvl 1 badge). The year/challenge/genre & theme badges are fully custom images, the sub-badges can be split into two for anime & manga, or merged as one continuous table with anime on top and manga down below, with the option to sort the table by type, badge lvl, total points earned per badge, show anime or manga only, etc. An option to collapse and expand badge levels based to show the highest level badge earned? Maybe leave the default option to view other people's badges in expanded mode and have the option to collapse just in case)

EDIT (occasional updates):

I would like to add a few things to my suggestion:

1) MAL Badges should be it’s own separate page. Maybe something that you can access from the search bar up top (maybe a badge icon for easy access next to where Help is). This brings you to a new page where you have access to all your badges.

2) Limited event badges. New badges that are up for grabs for a limited time only. Badge would be automatically given to those who would have completed the challenge beforehand.

3) A ranking page to list the top 10 or top 50 users, and then 10 users around where you currently lie.

4) A percentage statistic of each badge and their level when you open the separate window. This can plot the percentage of users who have achieved what level.

5) A badge for the number of dropped anime. This’ll mess with the completionists. I might add this to the excel sheet if this idea is well-received.

6) A few badges based on the number of entries completed within a range of episodes. So badges for no. of 1, 2-12, 13-25, 26-50, and 100+ episode entries.

7) A badge for the time spent on this site. I’m sure it’s been suggested before to have badges released to people who have been on MAL for a long time, we can finally get this with these badges. So increments of 6 months, 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 years.

Sorry if this post is messy, I have a lot of ideas and suggestions for this that's hard to simplify without going too crazy into detail.

What are your thoughts on this?
_cjessop19_Dec 13, 2022 7:37 AM

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 26, 2022 8:14 AM
Community Mod
💧Focalors💧

Mar 2022
Thread has been moved to the correct board.
Nov 26, 2022 8:25 AM
• Mafumafu Fan •

Apr 2018
MAL badges will be missed :salute:.

No but I think this is a great suggestion. I would love to see some sort of graph/genre themed stats like MAL-Badges, but intergrated into MAL for easier use.

AMQ: StephWeeb
Discord: drsteph
Join me on AnimeMusicQuiz!
Nov 26, 2022 8:29 AM

Jan 2009
lol give MAL 10 more years for them to implement this

MAL updates are following MVP development https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_product but MAL takes further development so slow like what happened to that promise countdown or timer feature for the seasonal anime page? still nothing right? so ye
Nov 26, 2022 6:27 PM

Nov 2018
@Kineta If I made an google docs excel sheet of a draft of a new MAL Badges system outlining what badges are available and how points would be distributed, would that help with this consideration?

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Nov 27, 2022 2:16 AM

Oct 2018
Has anyone tried this kaize alternative and can you show the badges on your profile like it worked with the Mal badges?

Nov 27, 2022 2:33 AM

Nov 2018
Mila91 said:
Has anyone tried this kaize alternative and can you show the badges on your profile like it worked with the Mal badges?

You'll have to move your profile to that site to get their badges

Nov 27, 2022 2:41 AM

Nov 2018
StephWeeb said:
MAL badges will be missed :salute:.

No but I think this is a great suggestion. I would love to see some sort of graph/genre themed stats like MAL-Badges, but intergrated into MAL for easier use.

Check the excel sheet I've just linked

Nov 27, 2022 2:42 AM

Oct 2018
That's bad news, I hope MAL makes their own badge system so we can show it on our profiles.

Nov 27, 2022 7:13 AM

May 2021
Yesssh great idea
You've got my support.

Pls don't write animeS or mangaS >.< // + <50 man(g/hw/hu)a not in MAL. // Join my >manga club< here!

Nov 27, 2022 8:10 AM

May 2020
tbh i will miss waiting for it to refresh so i can see how much XP i have
Nov 27, 2022 4:03 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
RIP

I guess I can just delete the MAL badges from my profile since its useless now.
Nov 27, 2022 5:13 PM

Nov 2018
N1coYazawa said:
tbh i will miss waiting for it to refresh so i can see how much XP i have

That feeling when you jump from 110,500 points to 110,650 points after completing a lvl 1 badge

Nov 28, 2022 1:06 PM

Dec 2019
This is seriously such a cool idea, I like how in-depth you went into it, too! I'm all for it, you've got my vote.
Nov 28, 2022 4:18 PM

Nov 2018
I would like to add a few things to my suggestion:

1) MAL Badges should be it’s own separate page. Maybe something that you can access from the search bar up top (maybe a badge icon for easy access next to where Help is). This brings you to a new page where you have access to all your badges.

2) Limited event badges. New badges that are up for grabs for a limited time only. Badge would be automatically given to those who would have completed the challenge beforehand.

3) A ranking page to list the top 10 or top 50 users, and then 10 users around where you currently lie.

4) A percentage statistic of each badge and their level when you open the separate window. This can plot the percentage of users who have achieved what level.

5) A badge for the number of dropped anime. This’ll mess with the completionists. I might add this to the excel sheet if this idea is well-received.

Nov 28, 2022 6:26 PM

Sep 2010
Yeah I never even looked at these badges because so many people just added a million anime to their list so they are at the top and can feel good about it or something. What would be much better than useless badges would be actual statistics on the profile page like Anilist has.
Nov 28, 2022 6:55 PM
Raw Gamer

Apr 2016
I love this suggestion because I really liked mal-badges but the creator of it/Kaize literally said he would keep mal-badges up while running Kaize. He never said it would shut down soon, so I'm kind of angry. I have a Kaize account but if I want to see my badges on there I would have to update both my MAL and Kaize lists at the same time. He didn't even include the graphics or levels for the badges on Kaize. The least he could do is make it so you can copy a bbcode from Kaize that's basically identical to the one that was on mal-badges. I wouldn't mind updating that list if I could display the badge on my MAL profile, but at the same time I understand that he wants the traffic coming to his site.
Nov 28, 2022 7:02 PM

Oct 2014
That is unfortunate. I didn't actually use it all that often, though. I pay more attention to the MALGraph achievements. I thought witcheffect was a cooler website but that also got canned.
Nov 28, 2022 10:09 PM

Nov 2018
TunesVEVO said:
I love this suggestion because I really liked mal-badges but the creator of it/Kaize literally said he would keep mal-badges up while running Kaize. He never said it would shut down soon, so I'm kind of angry. I have a Kaize account but if I want to see my badges on there I would have to update both my MAL and Kaize lists at the same time. He didn't even include the graphics or levels for the badges on Kaize. The least he could do is make it so you can copy a bbcode from Kaize that's basically identical to the one that was on mal-badges. I wouldn't mind updating that list if I could display the badge on my MAL profile, but at the same time I understand that he wants the traffic coming to his site.

And what he’s done is added the badges to his site and have lowered the levels/requirements to achieve them. Plus he’s added badges for those who stay on the site for a long period of time, and points earned from developing the site & managing it. So trying to copy the badge from there is meaningless since it’s no longer the same as what it was before

Nov 28, 2022 10:36 PM
Raw Gamer

Apr 2016
_cjessop19_ said:
And what he’s done is added the badges to his site and have lowered the levels/requirements to achieve them. Plus he’s added badges for those who stay on the site for a long period of time, and points earned from developing the site & managing it. So trying to copy the badge from there is meaningless since it’s no longer the same as what it was before

Yeah thats true. Well for now i've kind of made my own micro version of mal badges just for personal use i guess, but since it would take forever trying to count out all the stuff for regular mal-badges i just consolidated the xp you would get into just the anime/manga i've seen, episodes/chapters, volumes, and days watched/read. Im just gonna be using that until some alternative comes around or it gets officially added on the site. I do think, however, that this would be a good opportunity to potentially start a club focused around the creation of a mal-badges alternative. Maybe people could create a quick algorithm or something that pulls your profile stats and spits out how much xp you have. People could make badge icons and challenges that would give a set amount of xp like a video game achievement or something.
Nov 28, 2022 11:44 PM

Jan 2020
Others have already said what I think about this. Hoping it would get enough traction for MAL to actually consider it.
Nov 29, 2022 2:59 AM

Nov 2018
TunesVEVO said:
Maybe people could create a quick algorithm or something that pulls your profile stats and spits out how much xp you have.

Though if we get MAL to do it, then we don’t have to worry about handing over the site/system to other people. We don’t want a repeat of what happened with MAL badges where some bozo took it for himself and screwed us all over
_cjessop19_Nov 29, 2022 3:09 AM

Nov 29, 2022 5:56 PM

Nov 2018
ateks said:
Yeah I never even looked at these badges because so many people just added a million anime to their list so they are at the top and can feel good about it or something. What would be much better than useless badges would be actual statistics on the profile page like Anilist has.

I'm sure we can figure out a bullshit detector for the badges. Or we can all name and shame users who purposefully lie about their lists, since it would be obvious.

Nov 29, 2022 9:14 PM

Jul 2015
Here is my dark secret: when I saw MAL Badges was closed down, I was like "there goes my motivation to watch anime instead of regular TV". It's shameful, I know, but I'm kind of a casual fan like that. I don't really prefer anime TV shows over regular TV shows. It's kind of just all TV to me, except I was getting achievements for watching anime and I'm a typical human who gets an endorphin rush from seeing numbers go up. I need badges/achievements/trophies to trick my little brain into feeling like watching anime is accomplishing something. I understand if you hate me for not being an otaku, but I think there is a place for people like me here at MAL.

About cjessop19's proposal: Brilliant work, doctor. My only input is that I never liked the Dropped anime badges, because some people will mark an anime as Dropped even though they never watched any of it, just so they know that they've already considered watching it and decided against doing so. I do like that the Dropped badge makes it so you can't just mark every anime as Complete just to get to the top of the list and troll everyone. Personally, I think MAL should have a separate label for Not Interested.
mabor0shiNov 29, 2022 9:18 PM
Dec 2, 2022 3:11 AM

Apr 2020
I think MAL having their own badges is a great thing since the mal badges site is down now
Dec 2, 2022 3:16 PM
The Cutest♡

May 2011
*salute* mal-badges gone but not forgotten.
Absolutely think that MAL should bake the system into their profiles.
Dec 2, 2022 3:20 PM

Oct 2013
Yea why not, i don't really care tho.
Dec 2, 2022 6:37 PM
Aug 2016
I would love this to be a feature. Please, someone make it happen. I feel like someone has tried to coerce me into joining a competitor for MAL. Feels like a minor coup d'etat - they've attempted to steal a chunk of MAL users it feels like. I considered it for 0.02 seconds. But, in the end, I love MAL. I wish there could be a cool badge feature on MAL. It would be so cool
Dec 3, 2022 2:27 AM

Mar 2016
Hi,

Just found this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MyAnimeList/comments/zac7pg/mal_badges_is_dead_please_show_your_support_for/

And want to clarify since this topic is linked on the reddit post, so I decide to copy/paste my anwer :

Hi,

I'm the developer of mal-badges... and also the developer of the alternative the author talk in this post. Mal-badges was yes shut down but was not make by the author of this post... He is just trying to steal credit for it.

In fact I'm just making a bigger project which is not connect to MyAnimeList, I agree some people are sad/angry because mal-badges is closed. Just to let you know the main reason was to much server costing and no user support.

Like I already said on my Discord, I agree to give mal-badges codes if somenone want to put it online again.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
I'm the creator of mal-badges, go chek the club!

Dec 3, 2022 2:39 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
You have my full support, whatever that's worth. Sad MAL badges went down (despite the owner saying it wouldn't until some years later). My dream of getting to level 30 is over just like that. There's this Kaize website now or whatever it's called, but I just can't be bothered to manage my list on yet another site.
Oh well, at least it motivated me to really get into older anime.
BatoKusanagiDec 3, 2022 2:42 AM
Dec 3, 2022 2:43 AM

Nov 2018
Jikan_ said:
Hi,

Just found this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MyAnimeList/comments/zac7pg/mal_badges_is_dead_please_show_your_support_for/

And want to clarify since this topic is linked on the reddit post, so I decide to copy/paste my anwer :

Hi,

I'm the developer of mal-badges... and also the developer of the alternative the author talk in this post. Mal-badges was yes shut down but was not make by the author of this post... He is just trying to steal credit for it.

In fact I'm just making a bigger project which is not connect to MyAnimeList, I agree some people are sad/angry because mal-badges is closed. Just to let you know the main reason was to much server costing and no user support.

Like I already said on my Discord, I agree to give mal-badges codes if somenone want to put it online again.

Hi, thanks for clarifying.

The reasons you explained are why I made this post, so that MAL are the ones who handle the badge system with their servers already in place. Plus I think MAL could vastly expand what you originally had before (like what I suggested), since a lot of things have been added to the site since you handed over MAL badges to someone else (new themes, genres, etc.). Plus if they're the ones running the system, we can get a lot of community input and cooperation and regular new features and updates, even newer and more stylized graphics.

What are your thoughts on my suggestion? Do you like the additional badges and features that I've recommended to also include?

Maybe it would be a good idea to hand over the code to the site devs if MAL decides to start making this feature into reality? @Kineta?

Dec 3, 2022 2:54 AM

Mar 2016
_cjessop19_ said:
Jikan_ said:
Hi,

Hi,

The reasons you explained are why I made this post, so that MAL are the ones who handle the badge system with their servers already in place. Plus I think MAL could vastly expand what you originally had before (like what I suggested), since a lot of things have been added to the site since you handed over MAL badges to someone else (new themes, genres, etc.). Plus if they're the ones running the system, we can get a lot of community input and cooperation and regular new features and updates, even newer and more stylized graphics.

What are your thoughts on my suggestion? Do you like the additional badges and features that I've recommended to also include?

Maybe it would be a good idea to hand over the code to the site devs if MAL decides to start making this feature into reality? @Kineta?

Hi,

Yes I understand that you still want mal-abdges on MyAnimeList and you can contact me on Discord with private message (can be found on the bottom of the mal-badges alternative) if you want mal-badges code. Just to let you know:
- Mal-badges was a student school project to learn a PHP framework so the code is really ugly
- It was done with Laravel and need to be update to the next version if not, you will have problem with PHP version (in the next years on my opinion)
- I will give the actual code so you will need to remove the "closing" redirection and things like that (I just commented old code and it's not too much)
- I will give you the database but not the mal-badges datas, since users can not agree that I offer their datas to others people (and it's illegal in my country to share users datas like that xD)
- You can still call it mal-badges if you want but I will keep the domain name mal-badges.net (at least for the moment) because I don't want to see some random site where old mal-badges users can be tricked since I don't know the people I give code. (Don't know maybe you just want to make it a paid system and people will come to me unhappy even if It's not me xD)

Dec 3, 2022 2:57 AM

Nov 2018
Jikan_ said:
_cjessop19_ said:

Hi,

Yes I understand that you still want mal-abdges on MyAnimeList and you can contact me on Discord with private message (can be found on the bottom of the mal-badges alternative) if you want mal-badges code. Just to let you know:
- Mal-badges was a student school project to learn a PHP framework so the code is really ugly
- It was done with Laravel and need to be update to the next version if not, you will have problem with PHP version (in the next years on my opinion)
- I will give the actual code so you will need to remove the "closing" redirection and things like that (I just commented old code and it's not too much)
- I will give you the database but not the mal-badges datas, since users can not agree that I offer their datas to others people (and it's illegal in my country to share users datas like that xD)
- You can still call it mal-badges if you want but I will keep the domain name mal-badges.net (at least for the moment) because I don't want to see some random site where old mal-badges users can be tricked since I don't know the people I give code. (Don't know maybe you just want to make it a paid system and people will come to me unhappy even if It's not me xD)

I am completely horrendous with coding and programming, so let's hold off from handing over the code until one of the site devs gets into contact regarding implementing a new MAL Badges system. As long as they know to message you since you made the feature.

Dec 3, 2022 3:15 AM

Jul 2015
I'm glad to see you two are getting along now. No one is accusing anyone of anything and everyone is very cooperative. This is heartwarming!
I can't help here, because I know nothing about PHP. I also can't afford to run a MAL Badges type of website. I totally understand why Jikan took it down. I assume it was costing Jikan around $100USD a month and Jikan was doing it for no profit and no thanks.
Well, I would like to thank you now, Jikan. Good job. I hope you impressed your teacher with that project. MAL Badges was great. I have been at MAL for 7 years, so I will not be joining Kaize, but I wish you luck with it. You seem like a decent person and not the predatory type some of us took you for.
Dec 4, 2022 1:06 AM

Mar 2016
mabor0shi said:
I'm glad to see you two are getting along now. No one is accusing anyone of anything and everyone is very cooperative. This is heartwarming!
I can't help here, because I know nothing about PHP. I also can't afford to run a MAL Badges type of website. I totally understand why Jikan took it down. I assume it was costing Jikan around $100USD a month and Jikan was doing it for no profit and no thanks.
Well, I would like to thank you now, Jikan. Good job. I hope you impressed your teacher with that project. MAL Badges was great. I have been at MAL for 7 years, so I will not be joining Kaize, but I wish you luck with it. You seem like a decent person and not the predatory type some of us took you for.

Hi,

Was more 600USD per year with removing the ads profit, until 2019 I reiceive some donation from users who help me to paid, but without it, it become a problem for me

Dec 4, 2022 1:19 AM

Nov 2019

I think this a great idea! If MAL can implement this as an easy-to-use feature as the About Me section designs or anime/ manga list designs I think it would be popular (Both of examples are features quite popular amongst users). But honestly, considering there are threads asking for Dark Mode as far back as 2013 and we have nothing of sort, it kind of makes me wonder if this will ever happen.

However, on the off chance, this does happen me and a lot of my friends would be overjoyed!

-Ryoto-Dec 4, 2022 1:32 AM
Dec 4, 2022 5:53 AM

Feb 2022
WHY...
I WANT MAL BADGES BACK NOW! NOW!!!!
Dec 4, 2022 5:54 AM

Sep 2020
Also the tier list thing isn't working anymore....

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 4, 2022 6:03 AM

Nov 2018
samsince04 said:

The MAL Badges tier list?

Dec 4, 2022 6:06 AM

Mar 2018
Just in case, I'm currently in talk with Jikan_ to host it.
Maybe we can also implement some ideas _cjessop19_ had in here.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Dec 4, 2022 6:06 AM

Sep 2020
_cjessop19_ said:
samsince04 said:

No there used to be a website that would sort anime on your list based on what rating you gave it. SS=10 S=9, etc. But it doesn't work anymore.

http://animetierlist.herokuapp.com/mal/samsince04

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 4, 2022 6:18 AM

Nov 2018
Koito91 said:

I'm very happy to help with the implementation of this feature. If you want me to discuss these ideas with the devs about how we can improve the old system, I can give you my discord.

samsince04 said:
_cjessop19_ said:

No there used to be a website that would sort anime on your list based on what rating you gave it. SS=10 S=9, etc. But it doesn't work anymore.

http://animetierlist.herokuapp.com/mal/samsince04

Ah that, that's a shame, looks like anitubers can't milk out that kind of content anymore

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
Koito91Dec 4, 2022 6:24 AM

Dec 4, 2022 6:24 AM

Jan 2009
they should add at least 1-2 ads on MAL Badges im sure the huge traffic it has is enough to pay for server cost at least
Dec 4, 2022 6:24 AM

Mar 2018
_cjessop19_ said:
Koito91 said:

I'm very happy to help with the implementation of this feature. If you want me to discuss these ideas with the devs about how we can improve the old system, I can give you my discord.

To avoid any misunderstandings, I went to Jikan_ as a user and not as MAL as we Mods are not involved in dev-things and if they ever consider it, it will take a while and I'm already happy that we're getting more updates lately which is shown in Announcements.
I just want to host it separately (without ads or memberships, free etc...) just as it was and bring some updates in it that you mentioned here as I'm a coder myself.

☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Dec 4, 2022 6:36 AM

Nov 2018
Koito91 said:
_cjessop19_ said:

To avoid any misunderstandings, I went to Jikan_ as a user and not as MAL as we Mods are not involved in dev-things and if they ever consider it, it will take a while and I'm already happy that we're getting more updates lately which is shown in Announcements.
I just want to host it separately (without ads or memberships, free etc...) just as it was and bring some updates in it that you mentioned here as I'm a coder myself.

Ah, ok

If you do get your hands on the code and add the features in the main post, would that make transitioning this feature to the main site easier for the devs? Since Jikan said the code would have to be updated, maybe it would be possible to prepare it for integration in order to speed up the process? Food for thought.

Plus if you go ahead with the recommendations and new levels, you might need to add a few more badge levels and new graphics, as more badges = more points and easier to reach higher lvls. I got a load of spare time to help discuss with you about this.

Dec 4, 2022 6:45 AM

Mar 2018
_cjessop19_ said:
Koito91 said:

Ah, ok

If you do get your hands on the code and add the features in the main post, would that make transitioning this feature to the main site easier for the devs? Since Jikan said the code would have to be updated, maybe it would be possible to prepare it for integration in order to speed up the process? Food for thought.

Plus if you go ahead with the recommendations and new levels, you might need to add a few more badge levels and new graphics, as more badges = more points and easier to reach higher lvls. I got a load of spare time to help discuss with you about this.

I'm happy that Jikan already mentioned that the code needs to be updated due to PHP versions, so that is definitely in the planning to avoid it from breaking. Have to check the code to see what it currently is so that we can make it as easy as possible in case MAL ever reaches out to implement it etc...

And your bullet points / ideas are valueable, so I shall reach out to you after seeing what we have :)

☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Dec 4, 2022 6:50 AM

Nov 2018
Koito91 said:
_cjessop19_ said:

Ah, ok

I'm happy that Jikan already mentioned that the code needs to be updated due to PHP versions, so that is definitely in the planning to avoid it from breaking. Have to check the code to see what it currently is so that we can make it as easy as possible in case MAL ever reaches out to implement it etc...

And your bullet points / ideas are valueable, so I shall reach out to you after seeing what we have :)

Cool, I look forward to it.

Dec 4, 2022 8:04 AM

Nov 2019

Since the badges feature needs to go through our entries could it also show mismatched chapters/ episodes similar to how AnimePlus has it? That feature is especially useful if you read manhwa or doujins. Even still there have been many times when I've set an entry as completed without adding in all the episodes or chapters.

While we're at it is it possible to add a graph and heatmaps-like features by MAL themselves? Or is that too much to ask for?

Dec 4, 2022 8:26 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Full support for this suggestion from my side. It would be amazing if MAL finally added badges to the website itself because every external website is in danger of getting closed or just not getting maintained anymore at one point. I've been saying for years that badges would be a cool feature to add that many people like and that would also make people more active. I also used the MAL Badges website to get motivated to watch more and also check out stuff that I normally wouldn't watch and the answers in this thread confirm that I'm not alone with this. Seeing Koito's answer it seems like it's still far away from even getting considered which is really sad. Thanks Koito for at least trying to revive the old MAL Badges website, I'm sure many people will appreciate it.
Btw MAL devs can't just take other people's code and add it to the site. If MAL ever gets this feature it would go through some internal process and might not even be similar to what we know from MAL Badges. I do hope it's similar though because I think MAL Badges did a lot of things right. Some things could be adjusted here and there. Rankings will just be abused though as it happened on the old site (people just adding tons of things to their lists to get a high rank) so I don't think that part should be added.
Edit for clarification: Levels are great (for badges and maybe overall). Just no ranking with others because that's just pointless.
LunaDec 4, 2022 8:32 AM
Dec 4, 2022 8:31 AM

Nov 2018
-Ryoto- said:

Since the badges feature needs to go through our entries could it also show mismatched chapters/ episodes similar to how AnimePlus has it? That feature is especially useful if you read manhwa or doujins. Even still there have been many times when I've set an entry as completed without adding in all the episodes or chapters.

While we're at it is it possible to add a graph and heatmaps-like features by MAL themselves? Or is that too much to ask for?

I think what you've asked for is outside the realm of what MAL Badge's main goal is for. Since MAL Badges is only scanning your Completed list and whatnot, it's probably best to just leave those things to animeplus and malheatmaps who have already developed those features.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
6 hours ago

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.