Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Does the ending ruin the entire series?
Nov 23, 2022 11:33 PM
Jun 2022
Note: I did not write any spoilers on this forum.

I recently re-read volumes 33 and 34 of Attack on Titan, and my thoughts on the ending haven't changed since the first time I read it. It's a 7/10 ending in my opinion, and it really could've been executed better. Despite that however, Attack on Titan still stands as my 2nd favorite manga, second only to Berserk (I haven't read much manga so don't judge me.)

Whenever I think about Attack on Titan, I don't frequently think about the ending and how it could've been better. Instead, I think about the amazing journey that this story took me on. The engaging storytelling, brilliantly crafted lore, and the connections I made with the characters all mean so much to me that the ending couldn't possibly ruin them for me. The gorgeous animation and iconic soundtrack that the anime blessed us with just makes it even more impossible for the ending to ruin the series for me.

I can totally understand why some people were disappointed by the ending, even to the point that they disregard the entire series completely, but for me personally, Attack on Titan still stands as one of the greatest works of fiction ever made. I would really like to know if anyone agrees with my statements. It's one of the best examples of the journey being more important than the destination in my opinion.
Jun_ReiNov 25, 2022 2:51 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 23, 2022 11:46 PM
Dec 2021
Doesn’t ruin, but is a pretty bad ending tbh
Nov 23, 2022 11:48 PM
Jan 2017
An ending has to be god awful for it to ruin an entire show. AoT's is fsr from it. It's about the journey, not the destination and AoT's journey is easily on of the best written in recent memory.
Nov 23, 2022 11:49 PM
Mar 2021
No I don’t think so. Also I’m genuinely curious what kind of ending people would have wanted? If someone wants to share.
Nov 23, 2022 11:57 PM
Jan 2021
personally it brought it down for me but it definitely didn't ruin the entire series.
Nov 23, 2022 11:58 PM
Dec 2020
No, and I feel a majority of people blindly call it bad without analyzing it further which is disappointing.
Nov 24, 2022 12:08 AM
Jul 2021
Majority of the people who are still blindly hating on it (despite it being more than a year of that unnecessary nonsensical hate) are just acting all over dramatic & edgy and are probably pissed because the story didn't go ahead in the way in which they wanted it to go or since their fav head cannons didn't come true. I still don't get what type of happy fairy tail ending were the haters expecting.

The ending is not even 'bad/dissappointing' in the first place and is thematically perfect. As for the execution, then I can somewhat agree that it was kinda rough and fast paced due to the rushing of content and hopefully all these minor issues will be sorted out in the anime and we will get some extended scenes for more clarity.

Also, the positive here is that it has been confirmed by Mappa that they are gonna completely adapt the remaining chapters in s4p3 without any exclusions.
dk107_Nov 24, 2022 1:35 AM
Nov 24, 2022 12:12 AM
May 2020
saying something like that is like saying every character failure at the end of the story would ruin the entire series, death note for example
Nov 24, 2022 12:19 AM
Jul 2021
Nole2k said:
No, and I feel a majority of people blindly call it bad without analyzing it further which is disappointing.
Fr man.
Its just all bandwagon in order to fit in.
Nov 24, 2022 12:25 AM
Dec 2010
lol ppl still talking abt this.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Nov 24, 2022 12:36 AM
Apr 2021
I think it’s silly and kinda rash to let a ending effect someone’s enjoyment of a series especially if everything before was great and the person watching it was loving it, unless the ending is straight up horrible and nonsensical then yeah it can ruin it imo.
Nov 24, 2022 12:58 AM
Apr 2021
I think the ending wasn’t as bad as people say it is. Like yeah it could have been way better, and kinda brings my rating down a bit. But it was still a good ending nonetheless. 8/10(ending) 9/10(rest of series)
Nov 24, 2022 1:02 AM
Apr 2021
dark_knight107 said:
Majority of the people who are still blindly hating on it (despite it being more than a year of that unnecessary nonsensical hate) are just acting all over dramatic & edgy and are probably pissed because the story didn't go ahead in the way in which they wanted it to go or since their fav head cannons didn't come true. I still don't get what type of happy fairy tail ending were the haters expecting.

The ending is not even 'bad/dissappointing' in the first place and is thematically perfect. As for the execution, then I can somewhat agree that it was kinda rough and fast paced due to the rushing of content and hopefully all these minor issues will be sorted out in the anime and we will get some extended scenes for more clarity.

Also, the positive here is that it has been confirmed by Mappa that they are gonna completely adapt the entire manga in s4p3 without any exclusions.

so we are are gonna witness this cringe in HD I can't wait

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
-DxP-Nov 27, 2022 6:41 AM
Tokyo ghoul is a great manga with a trash anime adaptation

Nov 24, 2022 1:19 AM
Apr 2021
the ending is kind of cringe but it doesn't ruin the entire series . My biggest pet peeve with the ending is the fact that Eren stayed the same even tho we thought he developed. The ending also feels empty
Tokyo ghoul is a great manga with a trash anime adaptation

Nov 24, 2022 1:21 AM
Jul 2021
nonofyourbeeswax said:

so we are are gonna witness this cringe in HD I can't wait
Yup I am also hella hyped to see this scene get animated as it added another layer to my favourite MC of all time.

And use the spoiler tag if you want to insert a spoiler.
Nov 24, 2022 2:15 AM
Jul 2021
Brekkis said:
No I don’t think so. Also I’m genuinely curious what kind of ending people would have wanted? If someone wants to share.
I believe this is what the AoE and AnR supporters wanted:
Nov 24, 2022 2:56 AM
Jul 2021
Firstly, it's Isayama and not ishiyama ffs. And, that's a 2013 interview and he definitely must have had new ideas to end the series over the years, once he realised that it became more popular than he had expected.
You can check out this tweet, the guy here has explained it pretty well.
Link: https://twitter.com/freejeager/status/1594656296086646784?t=T6RFZfplbEZtHBT0qlFaaA&s=19
Nov 24, 2022 3:14 AM

Sep 2022

EH ship is jus a fan theory, just like how they made EM ship theories when the manga was airing.

dark_knight107 said:
Eren goes for 100℅ and comes back to Paradis as the new eldian king and settles down alongside Historia as his queen.Nobody cares about the rest of the cast and the themes.This would be the most perfect and happy fairy tail ending

How eren completing the rumbling 100℅ is a happy fairy tail ending? 🤣

Have you watched The Mist movie?????
Ayanokiyo768Nov 24, 2022 3:21 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2022 3:27 AM
Jul 2021
Ayanokiyo768 said:
EH ship is jus a fan theory, just like how they made EM ship theories when the manga was airing.
Firstly, EM ship is literally canon.This tweet solely isn't about calling out the fake EH shippers but it is also talking about Yams's vision for his series over the years and how many have a habit of twisting his words. I only shared this with you becoz the guy has explained all the doubts about the changed ending allegations really well, which is the answer to your question.
Ayanokiyo768 said:
I never said that in actual sense, nor do I believe in that. I only said what most of the ending haters wanted, based on my interactions with them.

No, I haven't seen the mist movie.
Nov 24, 2022 5:06 AM

Apr 2021
the only good take on this subject in the entirety of Mal
Nov 24, 2022 5:07 AM

Feb 2020
I'd say everything up to the time skip, is unaffected, but the part equivalent to S4 was severely impacted, which is a true shame because, when I read it, that was my favorite part.

And while SnK will always have a special place for me, I can't in good faith call it a favorite anymore and will probably never reread or rewatch it.

Maybe I'll watch anime onlies react to it and enjoy their suffering.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Nov 24, 2022 5:32 AM
Jan 2021
Nah it’s doesn’t
Nov 24, 2022 6:32 AM
Sep 2022
Ayanokiyo768 said:

dark_knight107 said:
Eren goes for 100℅ and comes back to Paradis as the new eldian king and settles down alongside Historia as his queen.Nobody cares about the rest of the cast and the themes.This would be the most perfect and happy fairy tail ending

EM is literally canon and it was obvious from the first season.
And
when did he say Eren completing rumbling is fairly tail?🤷‍♂️
Learn to read first 🤦
Nov 24, 2022 6:38 AM
Sep 2022
Ayanokiyo768 said:
Nehal_kun said:

EM is literally canon and it was obvious from the first season.
And
when did he say Eren completing rumbling is fairly tail?🤷‍♂️
Learn to read first 🤦

STFU, he edited his post.
you first learn to see the modified time of the post.

That doesn't make any sense.
why would anyone describe Eren completing the rumbling as fairly tail?
He was using the 'fairy tail' thing for a different purpose
i have read this whole forum before you btw🤷‍♂️
Nov 24, 2022 6:42 AM

Sep 2022
Nehal_kun said:

dumbass learn to read 👇

dark_knight107 said:
Brekkis said:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2022 6:59 AM
Sep 2022
Ayanokiyo768 said:
Nehal_kun said:

dumbass learn to read 👇

dark_knight107 said:

he was literally mocking the haters by that fairy tail thing💀
is it that hard to understand?
Nov 24, 2022 7:05 AM

Sep 2022
Nehal_kun said:

He literally said eren completing the rumbling 100℅ is fairy tail ending

He uses those same words on every aot forums
Who says aot ending is bad or when someone asks a question "why do people think aot ending is bad"
Ayanokiyo768Nov 24, 2022 7:08 AM
Nov 24, 2022 7:10 AM
Sep 2022
Ayanokiyo768 said:
Nehal_kun said:

Who says aot ending is bad or when someone asks a question "why do people think aot ending is bad"

No
not really
i would recommend you to read that again
Eren finishing the rumbling and BECOMING THE KING
MAKING HISTORIA THE QUEEN AND THE BABY BEING EREN'S SON.
THEN AGAIN, LIVING HAPPILY EVER AFTER WITHOUT CARING ABOUT OTHER STUFFS
that's why he mentioned that fairy tail thing to mock the haters at the end
AND
i don't really want to prolong this aurguement further
so, bye
Nov 24, 2022 7:15 AM

Sep 2022
Nehal_kun said:
Ayanokiyo768 said:

No
not really
AND
so, bye

Wtf are you even saying?
He is indirectly saying eren completing the rumbling 100% was a bad ending.

He literally copy paste this same thing on every forums who says AOE or the end was bad.
Nov 24, 2022 7:17 AM
Sep 2022
Ayanokiyo768 said:
Nehal_kun said:

No
not really
AND
so, bye

Wtf are you even saying?

He literally copy paste this same thing on every forums who says AOE or the end was bad.

Looks like you still don't understand.
but i am not gonna elaborate this simple thing anymore🤦
Nehal_kunNov 24, 2022 7:22 AM
Nov 24, 2022 7:22 AM

Sep 2022
Nehal_kun said:
Ayanokiyo768 said:

Wtf are you even saying?

Looks like you still don't understand.
but i am not gonna elaborate this simple anymore🤦

Have you even read/seen anything about AoE or AnR theories??
🤓
Ayanokiyo768Nov 24, 2022 7:35 AM
Nov 24, 2022 8:35 AM
Mar 2021
No the fans are just a bunch of cry babies who never had something NOT go their way
Nov 24, 2022 8:54 AM
Jul 2021
Nehal_kun said:
Looks like you still don't understand. but i am not gonna elaborate this simple thing anymore🤦
Thanks @Nehal_kun for your support. Much appreciated.
And leave it man, just ignore him. This ayanokoji pfp is an idiotic troll who only wants attention. I even explained it to him that I had just called out the ending haters through that statement and he can't even get such a simple thing.
He also has a history of creating troll threads in Mal.
Nov 24, 2022 8:59 AM
Aug 2021
Doesn’t ruin it, but it does suck 🤕
Nov 24, 2022 9:01 AM

Sep 2022
dark_knight107 said:
Thanks @Nehal_kun for your support. Much appreciated.
And leave it man, just ignore him. This ayanokoji pfp is an idiotic troll who only wants attention. I even explained it to him that I had just called out the ending haters through that statement and he can't even get such a simple thing.
He also has a history of creating troll threads in Mal.

So you never said people who were rooting for eren to finish the rumbling are ignorant.They didn't pay attention to the story, in other forums?

Calls literally everyone who hates/dislikes aot ending a "troll"," attention seekers"
If someone says something bad/what they dislike bout they are a "troll"
Ayanokiyo768Nov 24, 2022 9:27 AM
Nov 24, 2022 9:02 AM

Sep 2016
I have a similar opinion as you. I also thought the ending was just "okay" but everything leading up to it was so damn great that AoT as a whole is still one of my absolute favourite manga and anime ever. It just dropped down from a perfect 10 to a still amazing 9 for me and that's totally okay with me.
Nov 24, 2022 9:34 AM

Sep 2022
dark_knight107 said:
And everyone is allowed to express their opinions on Mal as long as they make sense and are respectful.This app literally exists for this reason i.e. meaningful discussions. So your point doesn't even make any sense. You are making it sound as if you quote me everytime out of obligation or as a need, cause you can't stand my opinions everytime I say anything positive related to the series.

Bullshit, you literally respond to my every aot threads and try to defend that shit.

Your said I'm creating troll threads so
Why are responding to my this so called Aot Troll threads and trying to defend it??????

Cause I almost spit facts on those troll threads and you can't stand it That's why you r responding to my every Aot Threads

You literally reported me today coz I posted some facts about Eren yeager in Eren1990 troll thread.
Lmao, you proved that you can't stand aot ending dislikers/haters
Ayanokiyo768Nov 24, 2022 9:39 AM
Nov 24, 2022 9:47 AM
Sep 2022
I think it does ngl the ending is not what we expected
Nov 24, 2022 9:53 AM

Sep 2022
dark_knight107 said:
Plus troll/bait threads that don't encourage meaningful discussions are against Mal rules so your threads will be locked/deleted by a mod anyways, even if I don't report them.

Almost every Aot thread of mine is still standing
This proves my aot threads are not troll threads but Facts

dark_knight107 said:
Lmao you don't even present any facts in the first place, so the question of not standing your opinion doesn't even arise.
dark_knight107 said:
When the hell did I defend anything?

Do I need to take screenshots of your posts and post it here to prove your hypocrisy? that you are defending Aot in this so called troll threads I created???

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2057276#post29

You literally said my aot threads are troll threads so why are even responding to it????
Nov 24, 2022 10:13 AM
Apr 2022
The experience we've been through when watching Attack On Titan will never change regardless of whatever ending Isayama has created, we all need to respect that fact that Mangakas are under pressure and considering Attack on Titan is so huge, Isayama was only doing his best to try and please majority of audiences. Even if we got a different ending, there will always be people who aren't satisfied.
isayama has done an incredible job, he's inspired lots of people (including myself for definate). And I hope studio Mappa don't get too overwhelmed even when they have other projects ahead of them.
Nov 24, 2022 11:04 AM

Sep 2022
dark_knight107 said:
When the hell did I defend anything?

dark_knight107 said:
Sure go ahead. There is no hypocrisy nor there is any defending. Just because someone is saying a different opinion, it doesn't mean they are coping or defending, nor is there any need for it.

dark_knight107 said:
Just because someone is saying a different opinion, it doesn't mean they are coping or defending, nor is there any need for it

Jus because someone dislike something doesn't mean they are troll, attention seekers.....
dark_knight107 said:
I only expressed my opinion.

....They only expressed their opinion.
Ayanokiyo768Nov 24, 2022 11:19 AM
Nov 24, 2022 11:22 AM
Aug 2021
it definitely didn't ruin the entire series but definitely could have been executed better. also the ending generated a lot of hate towards the anime
Nov 24, 2022 11:35 AM
Apr 2020
nonofyourbeeswax said:
the ending is kind of cringe but it doesn't ruin the entire series . My biggest pet peeve with the ending is the fact that Eren stayed the same even tho we thought he developed. The ending also feels empty

Eren's development isn't to become the edgy MC, actually Eren had many development phases..
The first one was in Bystander, where Isayama's creative writing began to shine, in this episode Eren learns that he's not better than anyone else, but he's still special because he was born into this world (which makes every other human special on his own way), and Eren showed us that he's holding this concept in his mind in the conclusion of S3 part 2, and in the paths in S4 part 2..

And the second one was in Ch 131, where Isayama's writing peaked to perfection, Eren here discovers the reality of the world he always saw through Armin's book, and realises that he was deceived all this time, and he got disappointed to the point of wishing that this new world full of people never existed (hence his own selfish desires started to shape) and as a result of seeing the predetermined fate of him, he accepted the tragic results of these circumstances...

Now as for Ch 139, when I was reading the manga up to 138, I personally always thought that : "it's impossible to end the story and Eren's character that way, without showing his raw thoughts on everything that happened before his death"
And yeah we got the reveal of his true emotions/motives in a bold way that none would have imagined (showing him pathetically complaining will always be the boldest thing Isayama has ever done), and it suits Eren's character well, why ?
Because he deserves that lmfao
No seriously now, it fits his personality because he was always like that, if you fell in love with him when he was at his chaddest versions in Marley knowing that he was acting for the sake of his plan's succussion, then you can't say you know him or you live him (just like that one saying: if you don't love me in my lowest you don't deserve me in my best, or something like that)
Nov 24, 2022 12:29 PM

Aug 2015
Yes, the ending renders all themes, character and story arcs completely moot. With that ending, SnK is just random things happening for no reason. I understand why zoomers whose attention spans have been destroyed by YouTube and tik tok enjoy it but that doesn't make it good.
Controversial opinions
Nov 24, 2022 12:55 PM
Feb 2021
I’m mixed on the ending, because I do think there are some details I’d call good or even great. But I definitely don’t think a bad ending would ruin the entire series.
Nov 24, 2022 1:36 PM
Oct 2022
No, not at all. It was a fitting end and the series is still a masterpiece in my eyes.
Nov 24, 2022 1:37 PM
Dec 2018
dark_knight107 said:

Also, the positive here is that it has been confirmed by Mappa that they are gonna completely adapt the remaining chapters in s4p3 without any exclusions.

If people still hate it after a year, doesn’t that mean it’s probably not great
Nov 24, 2022 1:38 PM
Oct 2022
No, not at all, it is a fitting end, and the series is still a masterpiece.
Nov 24, 2022 2:48 PM
Oct 2014
QuickBinger5108 said:
No, not at all, it is a fitting end, and the series is still a masterpiece.

Agreed, I don't see how else the series could have ended in a way that wrapped up loose ends nicely.
I really think people are more upset the ending chapter was more of a final exposition and epilogue instead of a bombastic climax that met the fans' heightened emotions and expectations. After rereading it again after being disappointed the first time I read it, I realized it did everything it needed to and more, and much like in the story itself it is not something that is enjoyed so much in the present but in the future after the dust has settled
Nov 24, 2022 2:52 PM
Jun 2022
The ending sucks dick but you can do something called “only watching until it stops being good” which for me is season 3.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Today

28 by SSRSyt »»
10 minutes ago

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

1553 by Rayquazatempest »»
Apr 9, 12:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.