Forum Settings
Forums

How has anime changed in the last 10 years?

Nov 21, 9:16 AM
Jul 2016
I was rewatching some clips of Kill La Kill (one of the first anime I ever watched) and for some reason it felt "different" to modern anime despite being less than a decade old. I even remember people saying it was derivative of other shounen shows. I've only started watching anime since 2013/14 (even then not THAT many). So how has anime changed in the last decade or so?

- Advent of Crunchyroll and other streaming platforms, making it more accessible to the average English-speaking person

- Greater/ more technical use of CGI technology (you even got a couple of series that are fully CGI - Beastars, Dorohedoro, Land of the Lustrous, et cetera)

- the advent of the Isekai genre, starting with Sword Art Online. Fantasy has always been an established genre, but I guess the transportation of normal people is new (unless you count Digimon I guess???)

Is there anything else?
Nov 21, 9:27 AM
Apr 2022
there are lots of stuff like more annoying anime fans. better animation in my opinion. less unique ideas when coming up with shows
Nov 21, 9:28 AM

Jun 2016
Everything looks brighter. Sometimes too bright in my opinion.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 21, 9:30 AM

Dec 2020
Streaming platforms is a pretty good one to start with, though amongst every anime fan i know irl and online literally none of them use them because they are still complete garbage and require a VPN to view most of the content. CGI has gotten a lot better aswell i can't give you any examples rn but i feel like CGI is coming to a pretty good point. Some people will still just say it's bad outright cause of shows like Ex-Arm and Berserk but it's whatever a lot of other shows look a lot worse imo. As for seasonals i feel personally have gone down a little bit in quality but that's primarily cause i'd say about 10-40% is usually filled with random bullshit which either is some copy and paste story we've seen a million times. Not saying 2000-2010 didn't have this but i'd say on average it was pretty good.

Can't really think of something myself rn off the top of my head. I "guess" discussion around anime is more widespread nowadays due to social media platforms, and allowing it to reach a wider audience that way whom might have never discovered it without. Though i don't really know if that counts. Might come back to this in a few days or so if i remember anything else.
I truly love you al
Nov 21, 9:33 AM

Sep 2008
big studios fell apart in ways. a lot of small understaffed ones were made.
while anime relies on freelancers, there aren't many animators in general, but way more projects nowadays.
in the end we get a lot of poorly made anime.
creator driven projects became rare, studios are commissioned to adapt already existing materials.

as far as I know sao isn't a real isekai, there were many isekai before that as well including dunbine and Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Nov 21, 11:04 AM
Nov 2019
It has definitely become stale in terms of the creativity and even worse, as soon as you have a somewhat unique anime being even just mildly successful, it won't take long for copycats to pop up everywhere.

One example would be the "Teasing" anime craze:

Then there is the whole "protagonist kicked from group for being to weak but he's OP as fuck" which has started recently:

Or the recent "pharmacy" trend:

Sports anime also feel like they have exploded ever since Kuroko no Basket's success in 2012, and there were a lot of them before Kuroko already so nowadays I stay mostly away from them with some exceptions here and there.

And other shows like Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man or Attack on titan and 86 which copy many elements of each other.
Yveltal1612Nov 21, 11:07 AM
Nov 21, 11:04 AM

Mar 2021
erikkamirs said:
How has anime changed in the last 10 years?

As someone who has been a physical copy consumer of Anime, it's become a lot harder to find good deals on used and new Anime series. 10 year ago it was so easy to find almost any complete Anime series from the obscure to mainstream franchises at very reasonable prices from used to even unopened. This is probably due to the fact that Westerners are no longer buying as many DVDs and Blu-ray copies of Anime anymore. Todays Anime fandom is just likely satisfied in either not owning their favorite franchises anymore or they are just simply out right pirating them now. This has become a real problem for a person like me when dealing with Anime produced before even the short lived HD DVD died out. Watching a series that has been converted just for streaming on even official sites, I can personally tell a difference in quality. The older an Anime is the more noticeable it becomes when attempting to watch it streaming over a professionally produced physical copy. It's just not often obscure Anime from over 20 years ago that I want gets remastered that I don't already own.
ColourWheelNov 21, 11:09 AM
Nov 21, 11:13 AM

Sep 2010
Everything is just a remake of something else. Yes I know it's getting harder and harder to make original stuff but they are honestly not even trying anymore because they know their low effort trash will make good money anyway.

Also there are rarely any characters with depth anymore, everyone is just some boring shiny archetype character or waifu bait these days.
Nov 21, 11:21 AM

Dec 2015
More stuff to watch like what am I supposed to say else?

10 years ago I've stopped rewatching Bleach and gave other titles a chance and started watching other stuff.
Now I do watch again Bleach but 2nd season and most likely will rewatch it multiple times as it is:
Peak Fiction Goat Raw Fire.
This is me untill the end of september -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WByYBgHjclY
That short video describe me perfectly -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48w1a2u0vOI
Nov 21, 11:27 PM
Jul 2016
Theo1899 said:
Everything looks brighter. Sometimes too bright in my opinion.

This is probably the most interesting. You can definitely see a difference when you compare the same series lmao.

Computers and digital coloring are amazing! But you definitely lose that cel-shaded softness sometimes.
Nov 22, 1:07 AM

May 2019
We've seen lots of upcoming talented young manga artists get their industry debut in the last ten years and some of them went on to achieve wild success like Koyoharu Gotouge and Tatsuki Fujimoto.

Nov 22, 6:28 PM

Feb 2021
Finding legal/illegal streaming sites to watch anime on has become significantly easier. 10 years ago I had to go on youtube and find "kiss x sis episode 04 part 1/13 (ENG sub)", where some parts were taken down due to copyright. Nowadays, if you live in Asia (or use a VPN if you don't), you can legally watch anime on the Ani-one channel for free. They have quite the catalogues, but if you can't find a show, try the Muse youtube channel (again, use VPN if you aren't in Asia). This change is something I'm more than happy to have.
"People will realize how evil of a being you are with ease. Those wings, your looks, all will fade and wither away." -Melusine-

Nov 22, 6:54 PM

Aug 2012
There are significantly less shoujo and more isekai.
Nov 23, 4:29 PM

Jun 2021
It went from shit to dogshit. I'm here just for the sake of it.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010 #Kirisuna
Nov 23, 7:39 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I'd say that the 12 episode seasonal has become the most prevalent format for anime is the most obvious change. As a consequence, we got the "part 2" phenomenon.
Nov 23, 7:51 PM
Oct 2013
We still have one piece till now, so no improvement whatsoever.
Nov 23, 8:00 PM

Mar 2019
I suppose, the anime industry as a job has come even closer to imploding, every anime needing to be a tent-pole, and the current trends in animation are harder to chase. Fundamental aspects of anime like properly doing layouts, have becoming increasingly more difficult, and the industry still relies on old practices, which have ceased to work.

Original anime has also begun to decline, due to emphasis on big proven IP's, aka popular manga, which is significantly cheaper to produce and adapt.
KumiveneellaNov 23, 8:04 PM
Nov 23, 8:28 PM

Nov 2011
erikkamirs said:
I was rewatching some clips of Kill La Kill (one of the first anime I ever watched) and for some reason it felt "different" to modern anime despite being less than a decade old. I even remember people saying it was derivative of other shounen shows. I've only started watching anime since 2013/14 (even then not THAT many). So how has anime changed in the last decade or so?

You know that picking Kill La Kill as example to how average anime looked like is a bad idea right?

To be honest I don't see much differences between anime now and 10 years ago. The differences are more evident if it is compared to anime in early 2000s and before.
I don't know if I am also biased because I really watched anime regularly outside of TV, knowing internet and all, also in middle of 2000s.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 24, 3:43 AM

Oct 2008
The only thing I've noticed is Japan is getting bolder with the sort of anime they're choosing to adapt. I honestly like the change, but the controversial content gives rise to unwanted criticism.
Nov 24, 6:06 AM

Dec 2014
Hmm....these past 10 years eh? nothing I could think of....

2010s and 2020s seem to belong to same anime era imo.

(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 24, 12:44 PM
Jun 2021
erikkamirs said:

- Advent of Crunchyroll and other streaming platforms, making it more accessible to the average English-speaking person

- Greater/ more technical use of CGI technology (you even got a couple of series that are fully CGI - Beastars, Dorohedoro, Land of the Lustrous, et cetera)

- the advent of the Isekai genre, starting with Sword Art Online. Fantasy has always been an established genre, but I guess the transportation of normal people is new (unless you count Digimon I guess???)

Is there anything else?

More or less on point, though you missed the massive resurgence romcoms have had in the latter half of the 2010s thanks to shows like Kaguya, Nagatoro, Gotoubun no Hanayome...
Hot Blood saves lives.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2022 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign Up (FINAL DAY) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

2154 by ItsFriktion »»
32 seconds ago

» Should Anime writers start stating the ages & birthdays of characters?

CreamyCervix - 6 hours ago

16 by TheBlockernator »»
3 minutes ago

» What's with Crunchyroll? ( 1 2 )

literally_boba - Yesterday

75 by Curdiss »»
6 minutes ago

» What do you consider when reviewing an anime?

HM0710 - 5 hours ago

5 by Scavendgarr »»
12 minutes ago

» Is there an age limit to stop liking anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Henrique-Senpai - Nov 27

109 by BrickHARDmeat220 »»
15 minutes ago