Forum Settings
Forums

Is it okay to read unofficial transliterations?

New
Nov 21, 2022 2:07 AM
Jul 2018
I've been reading cote ln recently but I noticed that it only has officially translation upto Y2V3.But it's originally released upto Y2V8.I don't wanna to wait for it for it to be translated officially so I've been thinking about reading unofficial transliterations but I never read any unofficial transliterations before so I've been wondering if is it okay to read it.So I wanna know your opinion about unofficial transliterations.
removed-userNov 21, 2022 2:12 AM
Nov 21, 2022 2:44 AM

Oct 2013
It's ok. It's not like everyone here only watch/read legally. Just spare some money to authors if you like their works.
Nov 21, 2022 6:14 AM

May 2021
If you're asking about whether it is legal, that depends by country. Many places only legally pursue the distributor of the fan translations, not the person reading them, but I am not a legal expert by any means and it really varies by country.

I always go for the legal translations unless none exist (like Shadows House for the longest time, and RE:Life still has no official translation in my country years later), but that's just me and I know most people don't mind even if official translations exist and are readily accessible.
Nov 21, 2022 6:15 AM

Sep 2020
Is it okay to watch unofficial anime on third-party websites? If that's okay for you, then your question is answered.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Nov 21, 2022 6:19 AM
💎💎💎💎

Aug 2020
a lot of unoffical translations are out on the internet by groups who encourage buying the original copy of the manga (to support the mangaka) itself. i think it's fine honestly

the day i died was
the day i started to live
Nov 22, 2022 8:15 AM

Mar 2022
My philosophy is that if the unofficial translations aren't being sold, or the money isn't going to the original creator, then it's perfectly fine to do so. Most translators don't claim ownership in any way, so I find no moral issue with it-if anything, it's a good thing that fans are translating manga and allowing many series to reach overseas audiences that might never leave Japan (or another country of origin) otherwise.
The siren of a flightless bird

Quietly destroying its cage

Dance, until tonight, with a raised voice-

For I don't want to lose hope!

-Utsuro wo Aogu, Vivid BAS SQUAD
Nov 22, 2022 8:58 AM

Mar 2015
Yes and fan translators are a gift from God who deserve more credit for the work they are doing.
Nov 22, 2022 11:45 AM

Feb 2008
If we are honest: It's not, I guess.
But sometimes there is no other way, as a lot of manga don't make it beyond the border of japan or at least to some countries. Also... I think it's sometimes better to be able to read manga in any way possible than not being able to because of some financial issues. I would be totally bankrupt if I had bought every manga that I've ever read.
So I am very thankful for the scanlations online. Also a lot of them make me buy manga anyway. I think most series I've bought are those from which I had a chance to read a couple of chapters beforehand.
Nov 26, 2022 12:09 AM

Feb 2018
I think it's fine, honestly, the chance for it to be misinterpreting words is always there but it is not like it will be too much per se
Nov 26, 2022 1:41 AM

Apr 2020
So how does the quality change from official translations and fan translations? Are official translations better?
water
Nov 27, 2022 11:13 AM
Jul 2022
The legality depends as others have already mentioned. If you're concerned about the ethics of the matter, you should pay it no mind. It is a victimless crime to pirate material. The only thing you are really affecting is the profits of the publisher/company.
Nov 28, 2022 2:14 AM
Dec 2019
just read it, and repent later. if you love artists work, please don't forget to support them.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1043 by sondongpyo »»
1 hour ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

18 by Chuckiemuffin »»
7 hours ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - 10 hours ago

0 by codelyok13 »»
10 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Apr 17, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.