Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 15, 2022 8:56 PM

Mar 2018

How are more people not upset about this? How is this not the thing the show is most known for? I’m shocked this isn’t as well known of a spoiler as “Darth Vader is Luke’s father” or something like that. I went from “Everyone needs to watch this show” to “I don’t think this is something I would recommend to most people” in an instant. I want to know if more people share my feelings.
Nov 16, 2022 5:24 PM

Mar 2018
If you think it's a dues ex machina, it's not. Everything is actually earned, the supernatural element is present throughout the entire show and does not come out of nowhere. The ending makes sense and everything throughout the show built up towards it and the message is powerful.
Nov 16, 2022 5:24 PM

Aug 2018
I dont really understand how the ending can somehow invalidate the life changes the previous episodes supposedly inspired in you
Nov 16, 2022 5:28 PM
Jan 2020
While I don't think the ending was good. It made sense and every episode prior was spectacular to make me dislike it imo
As Long as the Sun, the moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be alright.
Nov 16, 2022 5:43 PM

Feb 2016
I was not offended by the ending, but I wasn't satisfied either. It is one reason I prefer season 1, which has a satisfying ending.
I recommend Kanon to fans of Clannad season 1, as they're basically the same show.
I recommend Air to fans of After Story. It is not as good overall, but it's shorter and has a better ending.
Never watch Little Busters Refrain. After Story is a masterpiece in comparison.

epidemia78 said:
I dont really understand how the ending can somehow invalidate the life changes the previous episodes supposedly inspired in you

This.
その目だれの目?
Nov 16, 2022 6:00 PM
Mar 2022
because only an idiot would call the ending disappointing. it is NOT a deus ex machina and IT IS NOT an ass pull. it was foreshadowed from the first episodes.

https://youtu.be/aLjC1e3cA38
Nov 16, 2022 6:11 PM

Sep 2020
Bruh I genuinely got offended by that ending so much so that I didn't even watch the final episode. Tbf the first 10 episodes were dog water so it was never even close to being a masterpiece for me. Just crap really. My problem is people calling this a masterpiece after those first two shit arcs. The Sunohara one and that other girl involving the yakuza or something. I cringe just thinking about how bad those arcs were.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Nov 16, 2022 7:35 PM
Jan 2021
the whole thing is just a disaster in terms of storytelling. good or bad ending didn't change anything for me. tbf it's way better than the first season which I think is one of the worst animes of all time.
Nov 16, 2022 9:30 PM

Jul 2015
No.
Ending is satisfactory, everything is explained and makes sense if you just pay attention.

Nov 16, 2022 9:42 PM
Sep 2020
there's literally a video essay famous for explaining how it wasn't a deus ex machina. go watch it
Nov 16, 2022 11:05 PM

Feb 2021
Perfect ending. Not an ass pull. Captures the anime perfectly.
Nov 17, 2022 12:42 AM
Dec 2021
ALL THESE MFS NEVERR TRY TO TIE THE SUPERNATURAL ELEMENTS I'M TIRED OF YOU MFS COMING UP WITH THE SAME SHIT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THAT THE SUPERNATURAL ELEMENTS WOULD ALWAYS HAVE A PURPOSE?
Nov 17, 2022 2:19 AM
Apr 2021
Honestly i was so thankful it ended like that. I was about to be absolutely heart broken and depressed for a while but when i saw what happened next I stopped caring and instead of being sad i just threw it out of my mind like a piece of junk. After this i watched the alternate endings which i enjoyed much more
Nov 17, 2022 2:40 AM
Oct 2021
What do you mean none of it mattered? Tomoya got the more character development in that part than the rest of the series combined. It was FAR from just an useless alternative timeline..
Nov 17, 2022 8:05 AM

May 2015
Easily my favourite anime ending but recognise supernatural shows ain't for everyone.
Nov 17, 2022 8:54 AM

Jul 2016
People will call everything that makes them cry "a masterpiece".
Clannad: After Story was one of the biggest disappointments I had while watching anime. First 8 episodes were trash (really hated those three arc, honestly) and the fantastic elements were so poorly explained that the "reset" plot twist felt like a total ass-pull.
Life is about facing challenges and learning how to overcome them and the show was doing such a fantastic job with Tomoya's character progression in that regard but the "reset" thing ended up ruining all the progressed he had made, making it all pointless. Episode 24 kinda tried to save the situation by stating that Tomoya remembers his "bad-end" so he can still do the things that need to be done (like talking to his father, for example) but come on, that's still bullshit. Man I felt so betrayed lol.
Nov 17, 2022 11:38 AM
Mar 2022
SouthRzVa said:
People will call everything that makes them cry "a masterpiece".
Clannad: After Story was one of the biggest disappointments I had while watching anime. First 8 episodes were trash (really hated those three arc, honestly) and the fantastic elements were so poorly explained that the "reset" plot twist felt like a total ass-pull.
Life is about facing challenges and learning how to overcome them and the show was doing such a fantastic job with Tomoya's character progression in that regard but the "reset" thing ended up ruining all the progressed he had made, making it all pointless. Episode 24 kinda tried to save the situation by stating that Tomoya remembers his "bad-end" so he can still do the things that need to be done (like talking to his father, for example) but come on, that's still bullshit. Man I felt so betrayed lol.

its not an ass pull. you just need to watch it exerting a fraction more engaged viewing rather than sitting back and turning off yr brain
Nov 17, 2022 1:08 PM
Jan 2021
I think its an amazing ending because literally everything you've been watching for the past 50 episodes has been hinting and building up to it. From tomoya and nagisa having memories of the illusion world (since it exists outside of time) to ushio having an affinity for robots.
Nov 17, 2022 2:09 PM
Jan 2022
All his good deeds and helping others gets awarded in the end with a wish to have nagisa be alive. Very much earned
Nov 17, 2022 8:03 PM

Mar 2018
epidemia78 said:

Perhaps life changing was a poor choice of words. Metaphorically life changing, I guess.
Nov 18, 2022 1:42 AM

Mar 2021
Long Explanation (spoilers):

TL;DR: The anime didn't adapt the Orbs of Light concept very well and it caused confusion with the ending.
chalko3Nov 18, 2022 1:47 AM
Nov 18, 2022 1:47 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I don't know either, that forced af happy ending is the only thing which keeping me from scoring this anime 10.

Show suddenly turned into Dragon Ball in the end after such tragedy.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 18, 2022 2:56 AM
Jul 2018
It’s based on a VN with several endings and routes so just play the game on the steam and choose a different route if you’re dissatisfied
Dec 1, 2022 9:06 PM

Jan 2022
PeeBeeBoi said:
because only an idiot would call the ending disappointing. it is NOT a deus ex machina and IT IS NOT an ass pull. it was foreshadowed from the first episodes.

Just finished watching it. As an anime-only, it was hard to digest the ending at first watch and I have to process it for some time afterwards. I considered the execution underwhelming, but it may be because I saw Steins;Gate first, and Steins;Gate was able to explain its supernatural/sci-fi mechanics better to help the reader understand its ending.
Dec 1, 2022 9:23 PM
Mar 2022
mo_lave said:
PeeBeeBoi said:

Just finished watching it. As an anime-only, it was hard to digest the ending at first watch and I have to process it for some time afterwards. I considered the execution underwhelming, but it may be because I saw Steins;Gate first, and Steins;Gate was able to explain its supernatural/sci-fi mechanics better to help the reader understand its ending.

im saying this as the worlds greatest steins gate fan. Ive rewatched the series 7 times and mapped out the causal chronology, I GREATLY appreciate how well thought out and thought provoking it is and it remains my favorite anime of all time to this day.

however.

Clannad to me wasnt something I watched with the intent of being blown away by bizarre plot twists and grand philosophies, but instead to enjoy a story that could move me emotionally. It is literally the only piece of fiction that has gotten me to cry visibly, (and not to make this sound too cheesy, but) it actually changed the way I think about and approach life.

even though the foreshadowing wasnt blatantly obvious enough for me to understand right off the bat as the climax was reached, It didnt hurt my enjoyment of the show one bit.

I dont think comparing S;Gs and Clannads storytelling methods is very relevant because what they are trying to provide is so very different.
Dec 1, 2022 9:28 PM

Jan 2022
PeeBeeBoi said:
mo_lave said:

im saying this as the worlds greatest steins gate fan. Ive rewatched the series 7 times and mapped out the causal chronology, I GREATLY appreciate how well thought out and thought provoking it is and it remains my favorite anime of all time to this day.

however.

Clannad to me wasnt something I watched with the intent of being blown away by bizarre plot twists and grand philosophies, but instead to enjoy a story that could move me emotionally. It is literally the only piece of fiction that has gotten me to cry visibly, (and not to make this sound too cheesy, but) it actually changed the way I think about and approach life.

even though the foreshadowing wasnt blatantly obvious enough for me to understand right off the bat as the climax was reached, It didnt hurt my enjoyment of the show one bit.

I dont think comparing S;Gs and Clannads storytelling methods is very relevant because what they are trying to provide is so very different.

That's a fair observation. And you're right about Clannad more oriented on emotionally moving its viewers, and the climax delivered on that.

It may just be me, but I can't help but make some comparisons to Steins;Gate because that also moved me emotionally (especially SG0) and they're both VN adaptations. And that I rate shows by enjoyment and technical execution.

Edit: Or maybe I was in an emotional void after the feels by the time I reached the ending lol.
mo_laveDec 1, 2022 9:35 PM
Dec 1, 2022 9:38 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
chalko3 said:
Long Explanation (spoilers):

TL;DR: The anime didn't adapt the Orbs of Light concept very well and it caused confusion with the ending.

That certainly clears things up a bit. I'm sure most who aren't familiar with the VN's like myself were like "wtf are these orbs??" I understand that if you collect enough you then unlock the good ending, which is what we get in the anime. Sort of like doing good deeds and maintaining "good honor" in red dead redemption 2 allows you to have the good ending, if I'm not mistaken

edit: and yeah to answer the actual question, yes I was personally disappointed as well. After experiencing emotions I've never felt from any piece of fiction ever, it felt kind of sudden when everything was kind of uno-reversed. That's not a bad thing of course, I'm sure most if not all wanted such a happy ending. I just personally wanted more of a bittersweet one at least, to fit in with all the emotions I've been experiencing in the past episodes.

But now knowing how it ends though, I think I would truly appreciate it upon a re-watch.
BetaMaleUltraDec 1, 2022 9:54 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 1, 2022 9:42 PM

Sep 2020
Rinrinka said:
I don't know either, that forced af happy ending is the only thing which keeping me from scoring this anime 10.

Show suddenly turned into Dragon Ball in the end after such tragedy.
I'm sorry the first 10 or so episodes were hot garbage so Idk why just the ending would prevent you from scoring it a 10.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

angel999 - Oct 23, 2008

319 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 14, 10:59 PM

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

0 by Ricdumb »»
Apr 10, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Davison - Oct 16, 2008

260 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kiseki - Oct 2, 2008

347 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 7, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1168 by Chilicon_valley »»
Mar 10, 8:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.