Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 21, 2022 12:37 AM
Feb 2020
I dropped the first season after like, 5 episodes since it was hella boring and bland. Saw like 2 minutes of the 3rd ep of season 2 and it actually looked interesting. Is the second season worth me picking the series back up? Or is it still sh*t to casual viewers who don't follow the series like me?
Oct 21, 2022 12:59 AM
Jan 2019
I'd wait to see how the season pans out in the end before making a recommendation. It is much better but chances are that if you hated the first season, you won't particularly like the second one either.
Oct 21, 2022 4:03 AM

Oct 2014
S1 has more action scenes after ep 7 if you want to watch it for that, and there's a chance you'd find the story more interesting from that point, same goes for S2 since it's covering the better parts of the VN.

You'll probably still find potions of it boring and possibly confusing though, because you're missing half of the story and you're not given much reason to care about the characters.

People recommend reading the VNs instead, but you've probably heard that before and you're not interested.
Oct 31, 2022 4:43 PM

Oct 2010
not at all, this garbage is trash
Nov 1, 2022 4:05 AM
Apr 2019
I was wondering as well as the mechs look so cool as well. I saw a bandai model and got curious but I'm the type who doesn't buy unless I've watched it.
Nov 1, 2022 9:35 AM

Jan 2008
rainbowloli3 said:
I was wondering as well as the mechs look so cool as well. I saw a bandai model and got curious but I'm the type who doesn't buy unless I've watched it.

Yeah, just come for the amazing mecha fight.
Nov 2, 2022 11:34 PM
Jun 2012
There is no real reason to watch unless you have read the novel. All of the emotional monents are lost in a very condensed adaption. It's a decent recap of events and the mechs do look great.
Nov 5, 2022 9:25 PM
Feb 2015
Well IMO it's better to consider the anime separate from the VN.
Still need to see how they plan to make the "changes".
Nov 6, 2022 7:28 PM

Feb 2014
ixarising said:

You can't consider it separate when more than half of the plot is only known to those who have read it. It's very clearly made for those who have read it and it's still a shit ass adaptation.
Nov 7, 2022 2:10 AM
Feb 2015
theMario3721 said:
ixarising said:

You can't consider it separate when more than half of the plot is only known to those who have read it. It's very clearly made for those who have read it and it's still a shit ass adaptation.

It doesn't change the situation that the anime made their own major changes already.
Having 1 extra character can change a lot of things depending on how they're used.
Nov 7, 2022 3:46 AM

Feb 2014
ixarising said:
theMario3721 said:

It doesn't change the situation that the anime made their own major changes already.
Having 1 extra character can change a lot of things depending on how they're used.

"Major changes". Adding a new character that has barely appeared isn't a major change, the biggest changes they've made are the character design and axing most of the plot and character development. Still, something could be done, but at this point in time, it's just a terrible version of the VN that has nothing to add and should not exist. Even if they do something, I doubt it would fix even 1% of the problems of this anime.
I'd bet the new character was added because she's going to be a major character in the sequel (after all, we alredy know how this is going to end) or something. âge has gone radio silent about the sequel and I wouldn't be surprised if at the last episode there was some kind of cliffhanger or teaser for what's about to come (just hope they won't retcon anything).
Nov 11, 2022 5:30 AM

Nov 2007
A lot of doomposting going on about the anime due to some strange decisions made by the current IP holder.

To me there's two ways to look at this show in general:
1. It was made for fans of the VN and they remove anything that isnt absolutely required and dump all their money on the one aspect where the games ran into limitations of its medium meaning the battle sequences.

2. As a first step into the muv-luv franchise. Like the tip of the iceberg kind of deal. If you like what you see and you just want more of it you always have the manga (only alternative) or the games available. They are way more fleshed out (in some parts bloated) and give a LOT more nuance and context and leave a lot of time to let emotional impact settle in while the anime speedruns mayor points of it.

The anime, to me, somewhat achieves point 1 but I feel like it struggles at point 2 as I would assume that the hook isn't going hard enough to warrant 100+ hours of VN playtime. The games, if you have the time, are absolutely worth it. I've played them recently for the first time and can't shut up about them.
Nov 11, 2022 5:25 PM
potato

Aug 2018
No, read the VN instead
Nov 11, 2022 7:02 PM
Aug 2020
Not worth watching but worth reading. Last year I watched the first episode of the anime and it picked my interest. I watch 2 episodes more and shit was terrible. Decided to read the VN instead (it is the highest rated VN of all time) and I don't regret it at all, it was an amazing read. Since the anime got to the best part of the VN I decided to give it another chance again. Bad decision, this seasons is terrible and butchers the source material.
Nov 12, 2022 9:51 PM

Nov 2014
No I don't think so, so far I every episode I think I will just drop it but am hopeful for at least some actual mecha action.
Nov 19, 2022 7:13 PM
Oct 2020
Choostopher said:
No I don't think so, so far I every episode I think I will just drop it but am hopeful for at least some actual mecha action.

You won’t have to wait too long for mecha stuff. The episode on the 23rd will have plenty. And it may be the entire rest of the season if they don’t rush it. however, People are mistaken about the idea that muv luv is mecha. It’s not, the mecha fights take up less than 10 percent of the muv luv trilogy
Nov 20, 2022 12:36 AM

Nov 2014
EmmyMoomin said:
Choostopher said:

You won’t have to wait too long for mecha stuff. The episode on the 23rd will have plenty. And it may be the entire rest of the season if they don’t rush it. however, People are mistaken about the idea that muv luv is mecha. It’s not, the mecha fights take up less than 10 percent of the muv luv trilogy

🤞🏼 it gets…. Less frustrating, more action but maybe it just isn’t a show for me.
Nov 20, 2022 12:37 AM
Oct 2020
Choostopher said:
EmmyMoomin said:

🤞🏼 it gets…. Less frustrating, more action but maybe it just isn’t a show for me.

It’s a pretty shit adaptation. I’d say go read the VN but at this point the anime is nearly in the endgame.
Dec 23, 2022 7:37 AM

Jul 2014
There's a MLA anime?
Dec 23, 2022 9:41 AM

Apr 2015
I did enjoy the second season more than the first one, but nope, sorry. I really can't recommend this. It has some decent parts otherwise it's still just trash. If it actually caught your attention I would recommend to just read the VN, from Extra, but if you don't have the patience it's probably better to skip this whole story instead of digging into this adaptation.
Dec 24, 2022 2:31 AM
Apr 2021
I still have the same complaints I did with part 1. They cut out pretty much all the character development leaving only an empty shell. The voice actor of Takeru is awful, I really thought they'd change him but nope. Poor casting choice for sure. That guy by the way is only a recent graduate and as far as I know has done almost nothing prior to this. While I'm all for newcomers to get work, surely a project of Muv Luv's scale deserved someone better. But yeah my main complaint is the absence of character development. People who never played the VN will just see them as empty characters with little to no background like who are these people!?
Dec 24, 2022 6:20 AM

Feb 2013
Not truly but it is a massive improvement on s1
Dec 26, 2022 4:39 PM

Mar 2021
as someone who has sat through almost all the mecha shows, this is definitely better than most, but then again it is definitely carried by the source material. The mech action and sound mixing is suprisingly very good, and I definitely recommend it even for casual mecha fans.

I have not played through the VNs, but I did watch Total Eclipse and that Schwarz anime for background, so I obviously I cannot speak for everyone.
Jan 24, 2023 9:24 PM

Oct 2008
I hated s1 as well, but s2 is far superior. In ep 3/4 it really gets going, so I recommend it.
Unfortunately "Muv-Luv Alternative" is the weakest, compared to "Alternative Total Eclipse" and "Schwarzesmarken", in my opinion.
Feb 28, 2023 1:50 AM
Feb 2015
SofiaBulga said:
I hated s1 as well, but s2 is far superior. In ep 3/4 it really gets going, so I recommend it.
Unfortunately "Muv-Luv Alternative" is the weakest, compared to "Alternative Total Eclipse" and "Schwarzesmarken", in my opinion.

Schwarzesmarken aside cuz it's a losing story, Germany gets overrun by the BETA less than a year after the events there. TE & Alternative are quite opposite. TE had a stronger first portion but a slightly weaker 2nd portion. Alternative has a weaker first portion but a stronger 2nd portion. That being said they cut the anime before it hits the most action so it's quite unfortunate.
Mar 18, 2023 10:31 PM

Oct 2021
Read the visual novel, anyone saying this is a fine adaption obviously hasn't read it. It even butchers some of the most iconic scenes and all the music is horribly out of touch compared to how the original visual novel was presented.
Jun 2, 2023 7:46 AM
Apr 2021
I wonder if they'll even make a third series given how horribly the first two went. Just burning cash...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dailybread - Oct 12, 2022

83 by Oneirophrenic »»
Jan 28, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion

dailybread - Oct 5, 2022

39 by Otakuwhip »»
Jan 27, 7:15 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2022

31 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 11:50 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2022

40 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 6:11 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2022

18 by Playcool »»
Jan 29, 2023 3:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.