Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

To the people who really like Your Lie in April (Gave it an 8 or higher), what makes you like it so much?

Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 18, 2022 2:13 PM
Jan 2021
I personally really hated YLIA but I want to see what makes it have such a high status in terms of rating, as it is currently ranked the 63rd best anime here with an average rating of 8.66. I've heard people claim that it's really emotional and I want to hear from the people that agree with that statement because I found it to be more frustrating than emotionally engaging. If there's any specific parts like story events or characters point those out, as I'm thinking of making a video sometime trying to critique YLIA from a perspective more empathetic to people who have found it to be very profound/enjoyable.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 18, 2022 2:31 PM
Mar 2021
i wouldn’t even say that it’s was a amazing show overall maybe like a 8/10. it just had a very personal effect of me and i related to a lot of the themes.
Oct 18, 2022 2:34 PM
Mar 2021
i didn't like that the mc was such a wimp, also didn't feel very emotional when watching, overall though well executed show, strong story part to thrive forward, strong chars, actual thought been put behind this
Oct 18, 2022 2:35 PM
Aug 2020
The only thing I didn’t like much in this anime was the shonen-type comedy. Other than that, I loved it. I thought it was a very heart-touching story and the ending solidified it being an 8/10 for me
Oct 2015
Imo its 90% very decent like 7-8ish but the Last two eps hit me like truck-kun, which was such a astonishing feeling, that i ranked it as a 10. the music, character and story r all in harmony and when im in a specific mood no anime is able to let me feel like ylia even After the 20th rewatch
May 2022
10/10 because the story was so easy to immerse in, because you can related to the characters so easily through feelings of pity, understanding, and compassion, the music was amazing and it contributed to the story in an even more amazing way, I like sad stories, and it was my first anime.
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Oct 18, 2022 2:36 PM
May 2022
ciiviic said:
i didn't like that the mc was such a wimp, also didn't feel very emotional when watching, overall though well executed show, strong story part to thrive forward, strong chars, actual thought been put behind this

Depression and PTSD = wimpiness? Bruh
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Oct 18, 2022 2:43 PM
Sep 2017
It really shows the beauty of classic music. It is an emotional roller-coaster with amazing musical scenes.
Oct 18, 2022 2:44 PM
Aug 2020
It was really easy to relate to. I played instruments all of my life and it really captured the feeling of pure bliss or dread of standing on stage. The feeling of playing the notes but not being able to hear the music is a very real feeling that was cool to see visualized. I personally went through depression and i related so much to the struggle of trying to play my instrument through it. That's why I personally rated it an 8.
Oct 18, 2022 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
LargeDarv said:
I personally really hated YLIA but I want to see what makes it have such a high status in terms of rating, as it is currently ranked the 63rd best anime here with an average rating of 8.66. I've heard people claim that it's really emotional and I want to hear from the people that agree with that statement because I found it to be more frustrating than emotionally engaging. If there's any specific parts like story events or characters point those out, as I'm thinking of making a video sometime trying to critique YLIA from a perspective more empathetic to people who have found it to be very profound/enjoyable.

As someone that had musical education in the past, the way this show provokes emotion through music is really beautiful and touching.
Oct 18, 2022 2:55 PM
Aug 2021
well i like pianos
Oct 18, 2022 2:57 PM
Feb 2021
can't say I really loved it, I give everything above average 8. it's just was nice cool music and uh some emotions
Nir#9404 on discord feel free to DM me
Oct 18, 2022 3:10 PM
Aug 2021
LargeDarv said:

The mc backstory.
Oct 18, 2022 3:21 PM

Mar 2021
I liked the music a lot and just had a fun time watching
Oct 18, 2022 3:34 PM
Jan 2021
I rated it a 10/10. I really feel for the people who haven’t watched the dub, which gave it way more life than the sub. At the time I watched it it really resonated with me. I like the dialogue a lot, I really liked the poetic aspect to it. I really like classical music and it actually pushed me to take piano lessons. I find it really beautiful. But honestly it really just was the right show at the right time, I never related to something so much at that time.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Oct 18, 2022 3:45 PM
Nov 2020
To be perfectly transparent, a good portion of it is nostalgia. But the other portion is from the fact that I am a sucker for romance stories and I like Kosei and Kaori's characters respectively. Many, including me, really like Kosei's character arc (even though I still think he was a bit too wimpy for the majority of the series) and I like Kaori on the latter half of the series, actually my favorite episodes are from the latter half of the series actually. The arc starting from ep 16 was my favorite of the series as it actually presented a glimpse of what Kaori truly is as a person and tried to give Kosei some level of maturity. Plus I like overdramatic musical sequences. If it isn't your thing, that's ok too. I think the series is overrated as fuck but I do think it's overhated too sometimes. Objectively, Anohana is better in my opinion a tinsy bit but I like this show more as a whole. I don't like the ending of the show as much as I used to as I feel it's a kinda forced and speed up and the whole idea of Kosei being this obsessed with her is getting on my nerves but often and not the show still captivates me. 8/10

Tl;DR Eh... Personal preferences.
Jay_Burson-510Oct 18, 2022 3:49 PM
Oct 18, 2022 4:02 PM

Feb 2021
-Nir- said:
can't say I really loved it, I give everything above average 8. it's just was nice cool music and uh some emotions

8 is by definition “very good” . Why would you rate shows that are just above average an 8/10… why then the need for the rest of the scale…
Oct 18, 2022 4:05 PM
Feb 2021
elderonn said:
-Nir- said:

8 is by definition “very good” . Why would you rate shows that are just above average an 8/10… why then the need for the rest of the scale…

I mean average is 7 for me so above is 8. something like that
Oct 18, 2022 4:05 PM

Feb 2021
I gave it a 7/10 for the amazing music. I didn’t like the ending and it’s execution . Another aspect that I liked is how the whole mother situation was handled.
Oct 18, 2022 4:08 PM

Feb 2021
-Nir- said:
elderonn said:

Average should be 5… why would you forcefully reject half of the scale that you are given…

I am not attacking you or anything I am just genuinely curious.
Oct 18, 2022 4:12 PM
Feb 2021
elderonn said:
-Nir- said:

Average should be 5… why would you forcefully reject half of the scale that you are given…

at general I think every anime should be respected at their way since people worked hard to make it happen. so 6 is about fine minus, 7 is good 8 is good plus etc.. I don't give many shows below 5. only if I genuinely want to drop any minute (which I don't do for the same reason) while watching
Oct 18, 2022 4:14 PM

Feb 2021
-Nir- said:
elderonn said:

at general I think every anime should be respected at their way since people worked hard to make it happen. so 6 is about fine minus, 7 is good 8 is good plus etc.. I don't give many shows below 5. only if I genuinely want to drop any minute (which I don't do for the same reason) while watching

Hmmmm ok… I guess you just really love anime then… I respect that.
Oct 18, 2022 4:17 PM
Feb 2021
elderonn said:
-Nir- said:

I mean I do but it's more like I feel it's disrespectful to downvote or shit at some anime or just generally give it really low score. I know it sounds stupid but that's just how I am lol
Oct 18, 2022 4:21 PM

Feb 2021
-Nir- said:
elderonn said:

I mean I do but it's more like I feel it's disrespectful to downvote or shit at some anime or just generally give it really low score. I know it sounds stupid but that's just how I am lol

Hmm I have the approach that I have to love a show to give it a high score. Who am I disrespecting? Hard work does not mean it can’t be criticized. If I genuinely do not like a show I will not score it high.
Oct 18, 2022 4:24 PM
Jan 2021
Art and aesthetic, characterization. Unique musical concept which was well executed. Ending was cheesy but it is what it is.
Oct 18, 2022 4:25 PM
Feb 2021
elderonn said:
-Nir- said:

Hmm I have the approach that I have to love a show to give it a high score. Who am I disrespecting? Hard work does not mean it can’t be criticized. If I genuinely do not like a show I will not score it high.

yeah that's what most of people do probably, it's just I feel like the whole production by itself is something who needs to get more respect than disrespect. for example do u see the endless hate through csm lately, I'm trying not getting into it but it's just sad to see
Oct 18, 2022 4:28 PM

Feb 2021
-Nir- said:
elderonn said:

yeah that's what most of people do probably, it's just I feel like the whole production by itself is something who needs to get more respect than disrespect. for example do u see the endless hate through csm lately, I'm trying not getting into it but it's just sad to see

Yeah but it is because of mappa hate fanatics (I don’t like mappa much myself but that is not the point), because of trolls and because it is a highly praised and popular show which is bound to have a lot of haters. Of course there are also people who genuinely don’t like the show .
Oct 18, 2022 4:29 PM
Feb 2021
elderonn said:
-Nir- said:

Yeah but it is because of mappa hate fanatics (I don’t like mappa much myself but that is not the point), because of trolls and because it is a highly praised and popular show which is bound to have a lot of haters. Of course there are also people who genuinely don’t like the show .

yeah I just wish people will learn to express their opinions more respectfully, like you're doing.
Oct 18, 2022 4:31 PM

Feb 2021
-Nir- said:
elderonn said:

yeah I just wish people will learn to express their opinions more respectfully, like you're doing.

It is the internet of course people will be as radical as they can be. That is the nature of men. You need law and order which the internet is sadly lacking.
Oct 18, 2022 4:32 PM
Feb 2021
elderonn said:
-Nir- said:

It is the internet of course people will be as radical as they can be. That is the nature of men. You need law and order which the internet is sadly lacking.

yeah it's sad but what can we do about that
Oct 18, 2022 4:44 PM
Jan 2022
Think I gave it a 7/10 but honestly quite liked it, it just didn’t stand out for me. Honestly was just there for the music cause it was fun to listen too and probably watched more as a sport anime(sport being music sorry if this is controversial for you) than a sad anime. I really didn’t like how they portrayed kouri’s death, but liked the story anyway
Oct 18, 2022 5:06 PM
Apr 2021
the subtlety with which they show the emotions and intentions of the characters. the warm atmosphere of Japan in the two thousand. the brutal music of the series. and above all the closeness that it achieves between the spectator and the characters.
Oct 18, 2022 5:07 PM
Oct 2020
It nailed me in every way. Pushed all my buttons. The fact that the first episode aired a couple weeks after my best friend died -- she was an accomplished musician who also downplayed her illness -- figures in, too. I figure that YLiA is something you either get or you don't. I think, too, that it appeals more to a non-traditional anime audience. Though I know big, grown-up men with families who sobbed through the last couple of episodes and who even now have to excuse themselves if they hear Hikaru Nara or you say "Kaori's letter" to them. For a certain set of people who have lived through things or can imagine doing so, YLiA is and will be as powerful as it gets.
Oct 18, 2022 5:44 PM
Aug 2021
well i didn't really connect with all the emotional aspect in the story but yeah watching all the things unfold was definitely a good experience and leaving the mc out, almost everything about this anime was good a 7.5 on 10 for me ( just round it off to 8 lol)
Oct 18, 2022 5:51 PM
Nov 2020
I turn off the light, watch it ar night. Force myself to cry like a bitch and still feel this is one of the shittiest TV show I have ever watched. A pure garbage, it’s boring, emotional control for edgy teenager to cry. This is I want to wat your pancreas Amazon version
Oct 18, 2022 6:18 PM
Oct 2021
It's the music part. As a musician (I cringe with the term but it's true sometimes) who has been coping with practicing and performing from a very young age it really ticks my boxes. I can see myself a lot of times in the anime and reflect with a lot of themes and struggles.

The music used is simply perfect. It matches each emotion the anime want to convey. As per the romance, even though I'm not really a romance person, the way it is communicated through music,dialogues,screen and feeling is really amazing. The thing is romance doesn't even feel like its main theme, all the psychosynthesis of the characters do (meaning the pallet of their feelings, thoughts and moods).

It's a strong show which will move you in some way, I'm sure of it. I love it
Oct 18, 2022 6:22 PM
Dec 2021
As a musician I was really impatient with how accurate the animation was and how the the judges talked like actually musical judges who would judge high school music composition. Also the soundtrack is phenomenal. I’m also just a sucker for rom-cons so ya. There a bit more but those are the main reason.
Oct 18, 2022 6:55 PM
Jun 2021
i gave it 8/10 really liked the mc journey throughout the anime that’s about it. nothing else stood out more just him overcoming his past was powerful i guess
Oct 18, 2022 6:59 PM
Mar 2018
The progress of story was just amazing the romantic scenes were heartwarming so basically it connected a lot to me
Oct 18, 2022 7:09 PM
Nov 2021
LargeDarv said:

The art style music and char are and those traumatic experience he goes through are just so emotional and satisfying,this man speaks quotes like breathing
Oct 18, 2022 7:25 PM
Apr 2022
LargeDarv said:

if it's wasn't for that last 3eps it was 7/10 but with it is 8/10

NOTHING SPECIAL IN THIS SERIES........but still it's heart warming......that's where it hits
Oct 18, 2022 7:34 PM
Dec 2021
The musical performance.

I really liked the etude op. 25 no. 11 scene.
Oct 18, 2022 7:44 PM

Feb 2021
It's a well executed story, as simple as that. Almost every character has an arc, they all go through a journey and they all have a conclusion. The visuals and music are some of the best there is. The coming of age narrative works for the target audience, as most could easily relate to the fear and anxiety that Kousei goes through. The pressure of having to live up to your parent's legacy is one of the most relatable things in the story. Something else I really liked was the dynamic between the characters. Apart from the nonsensical comedy, the rest of it was really good and heartwarming.

So yeah, 9/10. The only thing that I didn't like, which I'm sure no one did, was the slapstick comedy. It's fine in a normal shounen story. But a serious coming of age story like this one doesn't need that silliness.
Oct 18, 2022 7:52 PM
Aug 2021
It made me cry my eyes out which is rare so that's why for me.
Oct 18, 2022 8:41 PM
Feb 2021
LargeDarv said:

Personally watching it as a music student myself there were things in the story that I really like but there were some frustrating moments that I don’t really hear people talk about

Which is why I’m interested in the video your making about it
Oct 18, 2022 8:43 PM
Feb 2021
elderonn said:
I gave it a 7/10 for the amazing music. I didn’t like the ending and it’s execution . Another aspect that I liked is how the whole mother situation was handled.

Ngl it’s the opposite for me

I didn’t like how the whole mother situation was handled at all😅😅
Oct 18, 2022 9:51 PM
Sep 2022
Omnisaur said:
There are two mindsets you can use when going into an anime: the emotional one and the intellectual one. You use the intellectual one for when you’re reading 1984 or The Odyssey. You use the emotional one when you’re watching things like this. If you do manage to get yourself in this mindset, it will be so much more enjoyable and fulfilling as you’ll generally focus on what makes it great and attach yourself to it better. But I suppose if you’re really going into there with the intellectual mindset then you’ll end up finding an enormous amount of nitpicks and looking past the many positives that it has.

yeah i agree with you.we have see anime from its genre so we enjoy as good as possible.
Oct 18, 2022 9:52 PM
Sep 2022
-Nir- said:
elderonn said:

And also I gave it 10/10.
Oct 18, 2022 9:54 PM
May 2019
Oh God another one of these useless threads, even if people wrote long essays as to why they love this anime, it's not like you are going to change your mind about it, if you want to know why people gave it higher rating then reviews exist
Oct 18, 2022 10:30 PM
Apr 2022
i dont know why people are complaining about MC being a wimp, bad ending or not worth it

i gave it 10/10, because it teached me that how much important and life changing is SOMEONE'S presence in your life. Therefore enjoy every moment of your life♥️
Hello
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Is this worth watching even if you got spoiled on the ending ? ( 1 2 )

Mister_WD - Apr 23, 2022

70 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 15, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Who do you like with Kousei Arima more ?

randomlock - Mar 24, 2016

20 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 15, 11:47 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2014

286 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 14, 9:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.