Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 12, 2022 1:46 PM

May 2020
This is coming from someone who despite loving the original series, thought the first two movies were really good. However, the next 2 movies will leave an extreme bitter taste in your mouth.

The next two movies are nothing like Evangelion before. Its pretty much a different story with Evangelion pasted as the title. Characters do things that they would never do normally, The plot is convoluted, and the ending is a catastrophe.

If you are a fan of the original characters, stop here. The next two movies ruin them.
Oct 12, 2022 1:54 PM
Dec 2018
Completely agree, have a nice day! <3
Oct 12, 2022 1:57 PM
Aug 2014
As someone who hates the original series and thinks it’s overrated garbage, the last 2 movies were way better, more interesting, and engaging than End of Evangelion. So if you weren’t sold on the original, check out the conclusion to the much better rebuild films
Oct 12, 2022 1:57 PM
Jun 2021
CickNipolla said:
This is coming from someone who despite loving the original series, thought the first two movies were really good. However, the next 2 movies will leave an extreme bitter taste in your mouth.

The next two movies are nothing like Evangelion before. Its pretty much a different story with Evangelion pasted as the title. Characters do things that they would never do normally, The plot is convoluted, and the ending is a catastrophe.

If you are a fan of the original characters, stop here. The next two movies ruin them.

I will agree with the fact the ending is a catastrophe, but (hot take incoming) I thought the 3rd movie was the best out of the reboots. I just like the piano scene.
Oct 12, 2022 1:58 PM

Feb 2019
No, that's just your opinion and I disagree.
I actually liked the 3rd and 4th movie more than the first 2 and it is very satisfying to finish.

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Oct 12, 2022 1:59 PM
Jul 2020
completely disagree, have a nice day!
Oct 12, 2022 2:03 PM

May 2020
Domitian said:
As someone who hates the original series and thinks it’s overrated garbage, the last 2 movies were way better, more interesting, and engaging than End of Evangelion. So if you weren’t sold on the original, check out the conclusion to the much better rebuild films

yea im pretty much saying

if you like the original series, dont watch the rebuilds
if you didnt like the original series, you will probably like the rebuilds better
Oct 12, 2022 2:07 PM
Aug 2014
CickNipolla said:
Domitian said:

if you didnt like the original series, you will probably like the rebuilds better

Ok then don’t say skip the last 2 if you liked the first 2 because you were disappointed. Clearly a lot of people like the first 2 and the last 2 better than the original series. Others like both for their own reasons. And others are like you who dislike the rebuilds. Don’t make a blanket statement to skip the last 2.
Oct 12, 2022 2:08 PM

May 2020
Domitian said:
CickNipolla said:

Ok then don’t say skip the last 2 if you liked the first 2 because you were disappointed. Clearly a lot of people like the first 2 and the last 2 better than the original series. Others like both for their own reasons. And others are like you who dislike the rebuilds. Don’t make a blanket statement to skip the last 2.

if you go around on this website, there is clearly a divide. most people agree either 2.0 is the best or 4.0 is the best. most people do not like the 3rd movie... why do u think that is?
Oct 12, 2022 2:10 PM

Sep 2020
I agree. Even the title says it all: You Cannot Advance
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
Oct 12, 2022 2:12 PM
Jan 2021
All rebuilds are good, it’s not going to deter people.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Oct 12, 2022 2:18 PM
Dec 2021
nah the last movie was amazing, idk what you're talking about
Oct 12, 2022 2:28 PM
Aug 2013
Disagree, only cause all of the Rebuilds should be avoided, not just the last two.
Oct 12, 2022 2:37 PM
Mar 2021
Domitian said:

Bruh what. End of Eva is a masterpiece
Oct 12, 2022 3:17 PM
Struggler

Dec 2020
"The next two movies are nothing like Evangelion before."

Coincidentally, in many ways this is an extremely good thing.

Oct 12, 2022 3:52 PM
Feb 2020
CickNipolla said:
Domitian said:

not necessarily, i like the original and the rebuild
Oct 12, 2022 4:01 PM
Dec 2020
Evangelion without 3.0+1.0 is just a (really good) story about depression.

Evangelion with 3.0+1.0 is the journey of a person with depression, including how they overcome it. It reflexts Hideaki Ano's life (Evangelion creator), how he was depressed when he created NGE and how his mental health improved before the Rebuilds. To get the full picture of what Evangelion psychologically means it's necessary to watch everyone of the Rebuilds.

Also, the only movie in which the characters are trully out of character is without a doubt 2.0
Oct 12, 2022 4:51 PM

May 2020
Paharo05 said:

Evangelion with 3.0+1.0 is the journey of a person with depression, including how they overcome it. It reflexts Hideaki Ano's life (Evangelion creator), how he was depressed when he created NGE and how his mental health improved before the Rebuilds. To get the full picture of what Evangelion psychologically means it's necessary to watch everyone of the Rebuilds.

Also, the only movie in which the characters are trully out of character is without a doubt 2.0

he didnt overcome anything lol. within minutes he somehow went from a broken guy to a gigachad with maximum confidence. it wasnt earned
Oct 12, 2022 5:09 PM
Apr 2018
Agreed, but to each there own. I see some people who love 3.0 and 3.0+1.0 and while I disagree with them they can love it even if I don't.
Oct 12, 2022 5:44 PM
Sep 2020
3.0 and 4.0 are better than 1 and 2
Oct 12, 2022 8:17 PM

Feb 2021
You are just missing the point that Rebuilds are reboots of the entire story. It's a different path from the original. If you did watch until the end of last movie, you'd have realised that Rebuilds are not telling the same story, they are sort of a continuation. Things being different and characters doing different things shouldn't come as that much of a surprise. That was clearly the intent. That's how reboots work.

Coming to your other point. I loved the original series. But I loved the Rebuild movies as well, all 4 of them, maybe the 3rd one a bit less.
Oct 12, 2022 8:21 PM
Feb 2021
Well for me 3.0+1.0 was a much better ending instead of Original NGE . but original NGE is a masterpiece and that's a fact..
Oct 13, 2022 12:42 AM
Jun 2019
i would disagree, i love the original. But i didn’t want Evangelion again with the rebuild, I love the changes abd from the 3 endings 3.0+1.0 is the most satisfying and it feels for the first time that the author believes in the message he's trying to convey
Oct 13, 2022 1:10 AM

Feb 2019
CickNipolla said:
Paharo05 said:

he didnt overcome anything lol. within minutes he somehow went from a broken guy to a gigachad with maximum confidence. it wasnt earned
It wasn't really Shinji that overcame it, it was Anno overcoming it and he portrayed it within his characters, well that's just how I saw it.

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Oct 13, 2022 4:36 AM
Jun 2021
Huh i feel like 3.0+1.0 thrice upon a time was very good and interesting to see their lives after the events and was a good ending for evangelion. 3.0 tho was not good i think it took me 3 watch session to finish it and i only wanted to finish it so i could watch the last movie. I don't regret anything tho.
Oct 13, 2022 10:19 AM
Feb 2021
SparCy said:
CickNipolla said:

I will agree with the fact the ending is a catastrophe, but (hot take incoming) I thought the 3rd movie was the best out of the reboots. I just like the piano scene.

same man

15 charssss
Oct 13, 2022 6:45 PM
Aug 2017
People come to MAL forums to have bad opinions
Oct 13, 2022 6:46 PM

May 2020
SobaBlue said:

exactly. this is why we need threads like this one
Oct 13, 2022 6:50 PM
Aug 2017
CickNipolla said:
SobaBlue said:

Can't tell if this is ironic but either way hate-posting <
Oct 13, 2022 6:52 PM

May 2020
SobaBlue said:
CickNipolla said:

a forum is meant to be used to criticize when an anime does something wrong. and that wrong is aot s4 p2
Oct 13, 2022 6:54 PM
Aug 2017
CickNipolla said:
SobaBlue said:

a forum is meant to be used to criticize when an anime does something wrong. and that wrong is aot s4 p2

Lmao it gets worse the cope is real^
Oct 13, 2022 7:03 PM

May 2020
SobaBlue said:
CickNipolla said:

yyes... thats the whole point of the thread.. s4 gradually gets worse
Oct 13, 2022 7:07 PM
Aug 2017
I really want to stop replying because I truly believe what I said before and these forms are a wasteland lacking in any kind of mental stability but, I do want to point out that this was a post about Evangelion.

Also AoT is the most well written anime of the last X years but that's neither here nor there.
Oct 13, 2022 7:08 PM
Aug 2017
CickNipolla said:
SobaBlue said:

yyes... thats the whole point of the thread.. s4 gradually gets worse

Forgot to quote the last post but perhaps that's for the best
Oct 13, 2022 8:01 PM

May 2020
SobaBlue said:
I really want to stop replying because I truly believe what I said before and these forms are a wasteland lacking in any kind of mental stability but, I do want to point out that this was a post about Evangelion.

Also AoT is the most well written anime of the last X years but that's neither here nor there.

true. its the highest rated anime on this website right now. oh wait no its not even 20
Oct 18, 2022 7:06 AM
Jul 2021
agreed 100%
DON'T WATCH IT
Oct 18, 2022 7:22 AM

Apr 2016
Why should i listen to someone, who don't even know that we put a "." at the end of a sentence, or that we start sentence with a capital letter ?
May 7, 2023 5:24 PM
Jun 2017
nah i like both. but i prefer the rebuilds a lot better
Fire Emblem anime when
Jun 12, 2023 3:57 PM
Oct 2022
CickNipolla said:

I agree, but even more I hated the last film. I am so sick and tired of how much Asuka was sh* on as a character, I only ever watched it for her anyway (and Rei). Shinji is one of the most boring anime characters to ever have existed. 
I'll happily rate them all a 1/10 simply because my hopes grew with each film and I never got any closure from the story. I loved the OG series except the ending, maybe someone will remake it but I doubt it

Sep 4, 2023 12:34 PM
Jan 2018
I stand on the original Eva and the first couple OVA's being overrated. Eva literally exists to spit in your face if you are a fan of mecha anime. The fact mecha anime fans look past that is incredible to me. Anno is an incredible director and Eva is solid for most of its run. But that ending right there is something else. To the point where he spent the lions share of the rest of his life trying to create an end to Eva that other people besides himself can be happy with.

2.0 is hands down the best movie out the rebuild movies. It combines all the stuff worth watching about Eva's OG run with something brand new. It's truly incredible, to the point where I, a proud Eva hater had to reconsider what I thought about Eva as a whole. Thankfully, 3.0 reminded me why I'm not alone in having issues with the way Anno tells stories.

While 3.0 +1.0 is flawed in many, many ways and Asuka somehow ends up worse off than in End of Eva, it is a movie that says a lot, does a lot, and means a lot. And if we are going to get imperfect, ambitious stories the Anno way, the last movie is the way I want that kind of story to be told. I think a lot of people were able to put Eva behind them with the end of the rebuild movies, Anno most of all. I respect that the latter two movies have more flaws than the first two, but if you are willing to put up with the OG story, you might as well see what this other story has to offer. And if you don't like it, well there are plenty of other flawed excellent anime by Anno you can give a shot. Might I recommend Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water? Just make sure you skip those island episodes the internet tells you to skip.
Apr 2, 4:44 PM
Nov 2022
Completely agree with you

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Jun 27, 2009

563 by Ten »»
Apr 7, 4:15 PM

» Mari being an insert for Hideaki’s wife

hanekawastiddi - Sep 3, 2023

6 by certainmiracle »»
Sep 4, 2023 12:00 PM

» Why They've shown Rei Nippels but didn't show Asuka Nippels?

LoliSenpai0x - Aug 6, 2020

9 by Jun_Rei »»
Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

» Shinji is gigachad

samthestan - Nov 26, 2021

6 by JohnLivelyMan »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:56 PM

» End of Evangelion or rebuild movie?

Requiemofthewind - Nov 7, 2021

8 by animeforlife808 »»
Nov 9, 2021 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.