Forums

Company Page Edits Released; People Comments Closed

New
Oct 7, 2022 6:08 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Company Page Additions and Edits
Members can now submit edit requests to existing Company pages, along with new addition requests to the Company database. New picture submissions to existing Company pages will be released soon. You can find the Add Company and Edit buttons in the same location as on Character and People entries (top right on Desktop).

People Comments Closed
We have also closed the comments section on People pages. The main reason for closing this section was the high number of rule-breaking comments which went unreported and unmoderated until weeks or months after they had been posted. This has been a problem for many years. In August 2018, we added Section IV: People Database Comment Guidelines to the Site & Forum Guidelines and attempted to increase moderation of this section. Unfortunately, the last four years have shown little improvement, likely due to the sheer size of the people database vs how often members and mods are looking at an individual person entry. As a result, we have decided it's best to close the comments section for now and focus moderation efforts on the forum.

For the members who enjoyed using this section while following the guidelines, we are aware that a good alternative to the comments section isn't currently available on MAL. To better facilitate the positive comments which were lost, we are considering linking clubs to People entries (much like Anime, Manga, and Characters are now) and better visualizing which clubs are available to join on the Person's top page. With this, fan clubs for seiyuu, mangaka or anime staff would become more visible and the positive exchanges between members could move there. The benefit to using clubs over the closed comment section would be increased visibility (club members see when new comments are added) and moderation power (each club can moderate itself).

If you have any other ideas, please let us know.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2022 6:17 PM

Nov 2012
Finally addressing the comments section ban, for dumb ppl we lost something good.

My Candies:

Oct 7, 2022 6:46 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Losing the comments section for people is a bit of a shame. I find it was better to interact there than having to join a thousand clubs that might not even last a week

Looking forward to the updates

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Oct 7, 2022 6:50 PM

Feb 2020
RIP Kano copypastas.

but actually, the comments being closed is quite unfortunate
Oct 7, 2022 6:51 PM

Feb 2021
Sad that comments for people have been closed, but I hope it comes back some day.

Now the company page edits I really appreciate, cause there has been a bunch of companies that I added to the DB but they don't have a picture.
Oct 7, 2022 7:07 PM

Oct 2021
It's a shame that I can't insult someone anymore.
Oct 7, 2022 7:53 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Frostwork said:
Kineta said:
People Comments Closed

This logic you present here can be applied to all comment sections in all pages, users included. So either close all of them or none. Frankly, I've never seen a really bad/insulting comment on an industry person's entry, but it's not like I visit them often either.

People can self moderate their own comments or close their own comments, not really the same thing.
Oct 7, 2022 8:05 PM

Jan 2022
Well, I'm not surprised one of the reasons is the hate comments, whether it's a troll comment or their genuine opinion, it's still rude nonetheless

you can say your negative opinion about them and whatnot, but not on their profile, that's just rude

But seeing surprise positive comments like "no way they voiced these two characters! What a talented seiyuu" or "no way they make these two openings! Banger singer/band" especially the people I like makes me happy for some reason. I'm going to miss those comments

RIP people comments
Blueberry-vomitOct 7, 2022 8:10 PM

こんにちは はじめまして
さようなら またあした
@suenagaharuto
Oct 7, 2022 10:16 PM
Mar 2019
Damn now I’m sad
Oct 7, 2022 10:18 PM

Sep 2010
Good, people comments were full of spam and racism anyway. Next remove Casual Discussion please.
Oct 7, 2022 10:40 PM

Jun 2020
RIP "This man is my lord and savior!" chain. It's been an honor.
Oct 7, 2022 10:46 PM

Oct 2008
so Kineta how will i praise the Voice Actor/Actress? don't tell me i should go for the trouble creating a friggin' twitter account just to praise them????!?!?

Oct 7, 2022 11:09 PM

Nov 2021
Rip People Comments.
Oct 7, 2022 11:46 PM

Feb 2019
Not a fan of closing people comments at all, unless comments were illegal they should be allowed to stay. Not hurting anyone.
Oct 7, 2022 11:53 PM

Dec 2015
You could consider replacing the comment section with reactions then. This way users could express positivity towards their favorite people in the industry, given you limit options to those, without having to search for certain clubs. I would prefer the comments, but anything is better than nothing.
Oct 8, 2022 12:14 AM

Jan 2020
: (

Not the biggest fan of the comment closing. But it did 100% have it's bad parts so it is understandable

Oct 8, 2022 12:33 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Kineta said:
People Comments Closed

I'm not really satisfied with this update. As there're many toxic and trolling comments, there're also many useful ones either.
Why don't you try making it to be like user's comment section, not only can it solve the spamming issue but also allow us to trace the old comments.
Oct 8, 2022 12:41 AM

Nov 2008
Kineta said:
People Comments Closed

Cowards
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Oct 8, 2022 1:02 AM

Oct 2010
so because you mods slack off on deleting spams I get this shit, makes sense, delete all forums then
Oct 8, 2022 1:06 AM

Nov 2018
As someone who looked at the comments on People pages very often, I hate this. Aside from just being a convenient way to see what people are saying about a person, I've also found actually useful information and commentary on anime staff members pages. Even one of my MAL friends discovered me through a comment I left on a persons page. The supposed large number of rule breaking comments simply isn't a justifiable reason for removing what was to me at least, an important part of this site. I hate how the modern internet feels the need to be so over-censored.
First the horrible change made to the review system and now this. These misguided changes are slowly ruining this site.
"Otaku search for patterns within data presented and draw conclusions. Anime fans only see clones and copies."
-artificialnightsky
Oct 8, 2022 1:09 AM

Jan 2009
sure go ahead link clubs related to the peoples section but give more moderating powers to the club admins and staff then
Oct 8, 2022 1:40 AM
Jul 2018
>If you have any other ideas, please let us know.

I have one. It will be a unique idea and I assume it will be extremely hard for you people to pull it off, but how about bringing the comment sections back? When a group of people get in an argument, the solution is definitely not to cut the tongues of everyone involved. Hell, it's online, if you don't like something that you see just close your eyes. With each update pushed, MAL gets crippled more and more. This update is definitely more in line with the aggressive censorship going on in the West. Only a small minority of people would prefer censorship to free expression in any context, and that extremely vocal nagging minority isn't the group of people you should be trying to appeal to. I mean, why the need? Anilist already does the same exact thing.

In fact, while you're at it, turn on the comment section for characters too, it'd be better IMO.
Oct 8, 2022 2:09 AM

Apr 2020
I feel kinda guilty for joking about that NTR seiyuu

Oct 8, 2022 2:13 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
The easter event will be a lot more difficult without the hints left behind there.
Oct 8, 2022 2:42 AM

May 2021
damn. the people comments were kind of informative and I also can't comment on goated profiles anymore. massive L. next step is to close all discussions ig.
Oct 8, 2022 3:08 AM

Mar 2015
Rip can't wish happy birthday to my favorite people anymore (don't tell me to message them directly on twitter i am too socially awkward to do that!!!!)
Oct 8, 2022 3:20 AM

Mar 2018
Rip, the comments on People were kinda funny and informative, too bad
Oct 8, 2022 3:23 AM

Jan 2009
next update Casual Discussion and Anime Discussion are closed
Oct 8, 2022 3:26 AM

Nov 2009
This sucks beyond because people used these comment sections to log, to remember and let other people know what and when they had added a manga or other new info etc. to an author in the database (just waiting for mod approval or rejection). Removing that option for writing comments below mangaka etc is infuriating and shit for people wasting time on adding stuff to the database. Now people wont be able to tell if theyre doing doublework over someone else anymore or how long something has been waiting for mod approval.
"It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"

- HP1 forever fave quote

//This was quoted in the year of 2009
Oct 8, 2022 3:36 AM

Aug 2017
Alternatively you could've closed the comments *without* deleting the previous ones, leaving them for archival purposes. Just no addition of new ones.
Oct 8, 2022 3:46 AM

Feb 2020
Hmmm....clubs, i can think of interesting ways to use that to serve my purpose tbh. (But i have never made any club yet...So let's see.) Atleast it's better than nothing, hopefully that function gets added fast (and not forgotten)
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 8, 2022 6:07 AM

Nov 2015
No. I'm so disappointed
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Oct 8, 2022 6:08 AM

Mar 2016
Going to miss "based" comments on people's profiles.
Oct 8, 2022 6:13 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Tch, right when I was thinking it would be nice to have comments for characters so I can simp, leave "offerings", and such (because it's just a little less creepy doing that when it's a fictional character).
Ugh so they messed it up for the rest of us.

SkyfallStar said:
You could consider replacing the comment section with reactions then. This way users could express positivity towards their favorite people in the industry, given you limit options to those, without having to search for certain clubs. I would prefer the comments, but anything is better than nothing.

I'm okay with SkyfallStar's suggestion. Maybe something kinda like Find a Grave (grim site, I know), where you can just add from a selection of like stickers (flowers, hearts, ribbons, and such) to someone's online memorial. That system allows comments and custom image uploads too, but the comment and custom part doesn't have to be a part of this hypothetical MAL reaction system.
It's still not as nice as being able to just comment, but it's something.

Also, I imagine that'd be in addition to being able to see what clubs a person is linked to? That is, just posting a reaction/sticker makes things easier for those who aren't trying to interact with anyone aside from a react. Could even probably have a shop on MAL to sell different stickers that folks can react with if one really wanted to-- kinda like stickers on LINE (buy 'em once and they're yours to react on any page or yadda). Or maybe a point system where forum posts/completed anime or manga (?) gain users points and you can get stickers with those points. All of that's probably going a little too deep though and probably requires too much work.

I do wish comments didn't have to go though.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Oct 8, 2022 7:23 AM

Mar 2021
No more "This man is my Lord and Saviour!" on Araki-sensei's page

Za_PandaOct 8, 2022 7:26 AM
Oct 8, 2022 7:43 AM

Jun 2022
When will u be unable to comment on N..i mean pplz comment sections
Oct 8, 2022 8:00 AM

Apr 2020
SkyfallStar said:
You could consider replacing the comment section with reactions then. This way users could express positivity towards their favorite people in the industry.
You can add them to favorites
Oct 8, 2022 9:15 AM
Nov 2018
not really surprised with the comments being removed. i noticed it a couple days ago and the first thing i thought was people worshipping hitler on his staff page
Oct 8, 2022 1:07 PM

Nov 2007
Kineta said:
For the members who enjoyed using this section while following the guidelines, we are aware that a good alternative to the comments section isn't currently available on MAL. To better facilitate the positive comments which were lost, we are considering linking clubs to People entries (much like Anime, Manga, and Characters are now) and better visualizing which clubs are available to join on the Person's top page. With this, fan clubs for seiyuu, mangaka or anime staff would become more visible and the positive exchanges between members could move there. The benefit to using clubs over the closed comment section would be increased visibility (club members see when new comments are added) and moderation power (each club can moderate itself).
That's not a bad idea, but I don't know if there's club for every people.
SkyfallStar said:
You could consider replacing the comment section with reactions then. This way users could express positivity towards their favorite people in the industry, given you limit options to those, without having to search for certain clubs.
I like this idea, too.

This is my (not sure if it's a good) suggestion that I listed in spoiler of this post (w. edition).

I would be happy either way when there's a place where I can share any information and news especially on Seiyuus through posting.

CaptainGiri said:
You can add them to favorites
The numbers of adding people to favorites are limited for regular users, though.
tsubasaloverOct 8, 2022 1:17 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 8, 2022 1:34 PM

Dec 2013
Lmfao. First they remove Nami from anime database and now close the people comments. This site is changing for worse.
Oct 8, 2022 2:30 PM

Jun 2020
This actually sucks lmao. The good that was in the comments was far, far more than any bad, especially when it came to the less popular or lesser known people, and there were a lot of genuinely useful and positive sides to it like so many people have already mentioned (additional info, requesting updates, letting people know what manga they've submitted for approval so other people don't have to go to the trouble of making duplicate entries, even meeting people with mutual interest in the same person, etc.) And now they've completely taken away all of that; absolute hot piping load of B.S. You've truly outdone yourself, MAL :)

The comments feature was one of the very few things that kept me from totally migrating to AniList, but it looks like it's high-time to pack up and leave for good. Even though the modern interface is so damn ugly, at least there I can guarantee my manga/manhwa/manhua submissions getting approved in the span of a month and not two fucking years lmfao.
Oct 8, 2022 3:17 PM

Jul 2014
deg said:
next update Casual Discussion and Anime Discussion are closed

Next update: forums are now closed.
Oct 8, 2022 3:29 PM

Sep 2018
I can't say I got any interaction on those comments, but it is a shame to see them go away.
Oct 8, 2022 3:34 PM

Jul 2021
Rest in peace to the comment on Kiyohiko Azuma's profile that read "He should go back to drawing sexy high schoolers"
Oct 8, 2022 4:17 PM

Jul 2015
Pouring one out for my favorite comments page on the site

Oct 8, 2022 4:30 PM

Jan 2013
What a load of bullshit. Why not make specific mod positions for People Comments? Ive never seen a problematic section for one, and this looks like the easy way out. Boo
Oct 8, 2022 5:36 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
This is like exploding an entire building just because there are few cockroaches in it.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Oct 8, 2022 5:39 PM

Sep 2020
Dumb change.
dirty thoughts are bad
Oct 8, 2022 6:04 PM

Sep 2014
there's a problem with a feature so our solution is to remove the feature

yeaaah. good job
Oct 8, 2022 6:48 PM

Dec 2020
aw, sad i wont see that person wishing everyone a happy birthday anymore </3
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by mushfik002 »»
2 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

422 by Hayukoo »»
Yesterday, 8:30 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.