Forum Settings
Forums

Noitamina Editor To Shave His Head As a Penalty For the Poor Rating

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 2, 2010 12:52 PM

Dec 2007
Soulstrider said:
Dunno why Sariya Goyou is so unpopular is probably one of my favorite shows of this season

I guess it's because the animation is a turn-off.
well, atleast that's why I won't watch it..
May 2, 2010 1:08 PM

Dec 2007
And that Shiki one announced for Noitamina is a shounen, right? Yeah, this is weird.
May 2, 2010 1:59 PM
Apr 2008
In the end this only shows the resounding appetite for moe anime and other shows that are less than pedagogical. I guess catering to depraved, lonely and lecherous teenagers is on the rage.
May 2, 2010 4:07 PM

Jan 2008
lolita_mistrix said:
And just because the majority doesn't like it, doesn't mean there aren't a lot of fans.

Uhm...yes it does. If the majority doesn't like it, it means it does not have many fans. Case in point: the ratings a low because people are not watching it-->because there are very few fans.
May 3, 2010 2:01 AM

Nov 2008
Claymoreaddicted said:
In the end this only shows the resounding appetite for moe anime and other shows that are less than pedagogical. I guess catering to depraved, lonely and lecherous teenagers is on the rage.
Um... Not really. noitaminA is unique among programming blocks, as it relies on more mainstream audiences a lot more than other anime programming blocks do. As a result, TV viewership is generally high amongst noitaminA anime, but DVD sales tend to be low. (see here)

The noitaminA audience generally prefer fairly realistic depictions of college life and romance mixed with wacky humour. They also enjoy the occasional horror anime. They are also generally young and female, so something like House of Five Leaves could be a bit off putting with the character designs, subject matter and pacing (I like House of Five Leaves, btw).

Yojouhan, which has more appealing character designs and a college setting, probably failed because it is dialogue-heavy and could turn out to be very confusing. It is probably also one of those anime where you must not miss an episode of if you want to have any idea about what is going on, so a poor rating for the first episode might be a massive thing for overall success for this anime.

Contrast that with Lucky Star or K-ON, where you could pick up any random episode and understand what's happening, so missing the first episode isn't such a big deal.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
May 3, 2010 3:25 AM

Dec 2009
I feel bad for him. I'm watch i--

No, wait, is that what they want? What evil masterminds.

May 3, 2010 3:36 AM

May 2009
Tamako said:
Soulstrider said:
Dunno why Sariya Goyou is so unpopular is probably one of my favorite shows of this season

I guess it's because the animation is a turn-off.
well, atleast that's why I won't watch it..

I think you're confusing character design with animation. The animation isn't bad, and the backgrounds are very good, it just has a weird art for the characters.

And on the edge of sanity I stumble and fall.
May 3, 2010 3:54 AM

Jan 2008
Well, when they used that art, they should have expected it would be a big turn off for many viewers. They have nobody to blame but themselves.
May 3, 2010 4:00 AM

Aug 2009
I watched the first episode of Yojo-han, and I thought it was brilliant; heavy dialogue actually made it better for me. I can understand why this editor guy got so disappointed about the rating.
May 3, 2010 5:10 AM

Nov 2008
stick to ur belief son
May 3, 2010 11:20 AM

Jul 2009
Eh...I really like both shows.

Though I can see why they weren't doing well. They were initially a turn off for me. I only checked them out because I was bored.
May 3, 2010 1:04 PM
Jun 2008
Yojouhan Sihwa Taikei - masterpiece, yeah I'm saying it after 2 eps
Sariya Goyou - amazingly good anime

The only two watchable animes this season (putting Rainbow aside) that are actually exceptionally good and they don't get views. Yep, the fat Japanese otaku that watch every other shitty anime this season are destroying whats good in the industry.

In time no one will ever animate something other than fanservice crap, because nothing else will bring them money...
May 7, 2010 1:42 PM

Apr 2009
fucking awesome shows..
must see
May 7, 2010 4:46 PM

Apr 2008
I dropped rainbow after ep4 the whole "oh we're in such a dreadful detention centre" atmosphere pissed me off as did the episodic plots and stupid references to morals and brotherhood between the main characters.

WindFalcon said:

RIGHT ON!!!! two of the best shows this season I'm honestly surprised at how a show like this could have bad ratings *shrugs*.

Forgot to mention arakwa and Working!

I'm watching K-on!! B gata H Kei and Angel Beats too, (and I'm about to drop senko no night raid since the first ep was rubbish and if the second one is similar, which it most probably will be I'm just getting rid of it).
May 7, 2010 9:43 PM
Jul 2009
WindFalcon said:

The only two watchable animes this season (putting Rainbow aside) that are actually exceptionally good and they don't get views. Yep, the fat Japanese otaku that watch every other shitty anime this season are destroying whats good in the industry.

In time no one will ever animate something other than fanservice crap, because nothing else will bring them money...

noitaminA is aimed at a completely different audience, so male otaku don't applied. This is the audience (women between 20 and 30 years of age) that likes watching anime like Hataraki Man, Moyashimon, Honey & Clover, or Nodame Cantabile.

They're the ones who've rejected these shows.

Anyway, Fuji's mistake was believing that they had such a loyal following that they could dictate what the audience wanted to see and not the other way around (and as the producer admits, even the production studios warned him many times). They diluted the content and ended up turning off the masses with "strange" shows they weren't interested in trying.
May 8, 2010 7:11 AM

May 2009
WindFalcon said:

I agree both of them are very good.But i can see why Yojouhan Sihwa Taikei has a low rating. Not everyone can read fast so they don't know what's going on in the anime.
May 8, 2010 7:51 AM
Feb 2010
BALD!
May 14, 2010 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
-Voltekka- said:

I agree both of them are very good.But i can see why Yojouhan Sihwa Taikei has a low rating. Not everyone can read fast so they don't know what's going on in the anime.

Yeah, except the people that the ratings are based understand the language and don't have subtitles...
May 14, 2010 2:46 PM

Jan 2008
DrIdiot said:

Yeah, except the people that the ratings are based understand the language and don't have subtitles...

From what I read, it seems that the Japanese are also having trouble keeping up with that show. They talk to fast for them to understand everything, so yes, the Japanese could use some closed captions for that particular anime.
May 24, 2010 7:58 AM

Jan 2008
TJR said:
WindFalcon said:

noitaminA is aimed at a completely different audience, so male otaku don't applied. This is the audience (women between 20 and 30 years of age) that likes watching anime like Hataraki Man, Moyashimon, Honey & Clover, or Nodame Cantabile.

Jesus. I know House of Five Leaves is an excellent anime and it's definitely my favourite of the season thus far [overtakes Angel Beats], but that's clearly bad decision-making. HoFL, thus far, is not aimed purely at the female audience and absolutely failed there. Surely it needed a different timeslot and a different audience to work with.

I remember a 2ch topic [by SanCom] and HoFL is one of the lowest rated anime. Not surprising that K-ON! took the lead [Jesus, I hate that anime with a passion, I want it to die]
Jun 1, 2010 1:56 PM

Aug 2008
All ongoings are 2 types for me: interesting and fun. In 'fun' all the popular titles go (K-On, for example). In 'interesting'... there was nothing in there for some seasons and then i saw Saraiya Goyou. I really do enjoy watching Saraiya Goyou and added Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei to ptw (dont like to watch many things at once). They must do more shows like that... you know, interesting. =)
Jun 9, 2010 3:49 AM
Feb 2010
TJR said:

They're the ones who've rejected these shows.

Anyway, Fuji's mistake was believing that they had such a loyal following that they could dictate what the audience wanted to see and not the other way around (and as the producer admits, even the production studios warned him many times). They diluted the content and ended up turning off the masses with "strange" shows they weren't interested in trying.

Well take note: The point is that the production studios have warned him many times... and lol, failed at their target audience... that's really the worst.

Btw guys, what is more important is what happens in Japan, whether their culture can take the shows, more than our own individual preferences. This, as a clear indication from the dwindling anime industry.

But IMO, both of these aren't really that interesting... I put them on hold after a few eps and now am struggling to put them back on watching list. Esp. HoFL, I do not enjoy watching a guy with dead fish eyes being a main character and leeching off a band of a kidnappers, while behaving as if nothing is wrong. Finished 2, and is on hold.
Jun 12, 2010 1:44 PM

Dec 2009
The things one does for attention are endless..
Jun 12, 2010 8:02 PM

May 2008
DmonHiro said:
DrIdiot said:

From what I read, it seems that the Japanese are also having trouble keeping up with that show. They talk to fast for them to understand everything, so yes, the Japanese could use some closed captions for that particular anime.

I don't know what you read, but that's an absolutely silly thought. The dialog is fast for anime, but at most slightly faster and at worst slower and more clear than plenty of real-life conversation that is perfectly easy to understand.

I think you could find plenty of flaws with the show depending upon preference, but fast audio is not one of them if you understand the language.
Jun 15, 2010 2:12 AM

Oct 2009
Two of the best shows of the season. I guess they're just a bit too unique and different for the masses to enjoy.
Jun 25, 2010 1:11 PM

Nov 2007
This might actually be pretty sad glimpse to the future of anime, since these two titles are in the group of four innovative/story-driven shows this season.

I am totally aware that these shows aren't aimed for the core otaku audience, but there once was a time when fanservice was mostly much more subtle and directors couldn't even imagine a show without a plot, point or action. And I'm talking about "otaku shows" made in somewhere around first years of 21st centry and before.
Now all of a sudden it's nearly impossible to make a decent show with good plot and make it sell without mutilating it into character-driven pantsuflashing harem shitfest.

Yes, I'm sure this topic has been talked to death for several times already but goddamn, I just have to vent my rage over this occasionally. Honestly, I've seen better hentai plots than the stuff over half of this years series have.
Jun 27, 2010 12:28 AM

Jan 2008
So, DID he ever shave his head?
Jul 5, 2010 2:41 PM
Jun 2009
but that show is great, so far one my favorites of this year, I wonder what show is beating saraiya goyou in terms of raiting?
Jul 6, 2010 7:25 AM

Jan 2008
DogPaw said:
but that show is great, so far one my favorites of this year, I wonder what show is beating saraiya goyou in terms of raiting?

Almost every show, actually.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
7 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 12 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
9 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
10 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.