Forum Settings
Forums

Does spiritual symbolism and/or references automatically grants a story or title as well-written?

New
Sep 26, 2022 11:22 PM

Jul 2021
Kinda bored so here's something to lose some brain cells.

Quite a long time ago, I had a very civil discussion with a huge Madoka fan and at one point, this happened;

Me:- "Madoka is certainly a dark show and is might also be a good subversion on general magical girl tropes (I haven't watched any magical girl Anime btw, just talking about how genre is generally viewed). But the ending kinda felt like an asspull.

Madoka fan:- "I understand where you are coming from but there's actually a Buddhist philosophy incorporated in the ending... (Proceeds to back up their point talking about symbolism and how it retells a certain Buddhist story of Nirvana).
Me, after reading all that:- "Woah! That's pretty cool. But I'm still not very convinced or, should I say it still looks like an asspull".

Now thinking back, I'm kinda wondering how this similar points are also made in discussions about other acclaimed titles like "NGE & Death Note having heavy Christian symbolism" and few others times where people back up a show's writing quality with the amount of religious references/symbolisms it uses and I always think;
does it really matter? Or is it not possible to grasp the underlying theme without any of that knowledge?

My question is simple;
Does an Anime/Manga that retells or uses a certain religious/spiritual story makes it a well written?
R_2_RSep 26, 2022 11:28 PM
Sep 27, 2022 2:18 AM

Oct 2010
simply having those elements doesn't mean that the story is well written, that has to come from the skill of the creator in expressing those ideas

in regards to your madoka talk, the fan simply didn't know how to explain and chose to regurgitate something that didn't even matter in that specific talk. If I had to respond to your question I think that it's true that her wish came outta nowhere but what could have been done to fix the problems? we have some forshadowing seeing how madoka is a girl willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good and that wish was good enough, keep in mind that it didn't fix the universe dying, in the end there are wraiths and the magical girls still have to hunt them but at least they don't transform into witches.
It can't be an asspull because the story was about magical girls and magic is almost infinite, a wish like that was good writing imo, like I said, the story has the MAGIC element so of course it'll look that big of an even, it's not like it was a realistic anime and some dude jumps 10 meters when in-universe he couldn't do it, just an example.

I won't bother to talk about eva, it's probably the same thing, you just encountered some fans that are very simple minded
CatalanoSep 27, 2022 2:27 AM
Sep 27, 2022 3:19 AM

Mar 2018
If it's interwoven, it can enhance a story, but if it's in knots, and bunches, it can be glaring. No story is well-written from symbolism.

I agree with you on the Madoka ending, because it didn't foreshadow the right things. 'She's powerful, wow, she has lots of qi, or whatever, she's got some wacky powers' doesn't come close to 'she will literally become a god.' Would've been better (in my overwhelmingly, massively, greatly humble opinion) if a magical girl wished to end world hunger, or stop wars, or something in the same ball-park, and it failed. Kyubert may've mentioned it's not possible for something that world-changing, I haven't watched the show in 4 years, but it failing seems like more solid foreshadowing, if that was the case. Idk, maybe I was low IQ, high EQ, low T, high E, and failed to miss some obvious 'she will become a god' foreshadowing at 12:53 in episode 7.

Obviously, religious symbolism can add a touch of grandness to a story, but if it's out of nowhere (like Madoka), or idrk (like Evangan), then it doesn't enhance anything. If Lillith was called 'Massive Woman With Vagina Forehead Eye' in Spanish, and the Third Impact was called the Third 'People Will Die' Event in Afrikaans, I wouldn't really care.
Sep 27, 2022 3:51 AM

Jul 2019
It won't grant a well-written story though. Just because "that" anime uses weird foreign word like from ancient roman or something, it doesn't guarantee a well-written story.

This's my profile
This's my anime list
This's my reviews
🌸Would you be my friend?. I'd love to have an online friend.🌸
Sep 27, 2022 4:29 AM

Jul 2021
Not really. It's easy to use symbolism or make random references, to problem is fitting them naturally into a story.

Another point is that the author may not even be aware of the deep meaning of the symbols they're using. I mean, it's possible to have a much deeper reading of a text than the author intended.

Do we really know that the Madoka's creator was inspired by that particular point of Buddhism? Maybe the aesthetic was cool and the viewer is projecting stuff (like the crosses in Eva that mean nothing but fans over analyzed). Or maybe he was so involved with that religion, or it's just too common knowledge that it came out naturally without much thought - ideology - (similar to how we see characters coming back from apparent dead as an awesome power move, not considering any resemblance to Jesus or without having a Christian subtext).

About Madoka's ending. I don't know about that Buddhism thing that fan told you. It's a interesting take, but IMO it seems pretty reasonable to become a God when you ask someone with endless power to have you defeat every enemy of the world in the past, present and future, no matter how strong they were/are/will be. Plus the magical context of their powers. And given all that Madoka went through with her friends and her selfless personality, her asking for something so wacky as this without thinking about the implications also seems in character.
Sep 28, 2022 6:46 AM

Jul 2017
Not really. It's all about the execution of those elements and how their presence alongside other ones manage to result in an engaging and interesting experience throughout. Just having the ingredients for something that could be really interesting and good, doesn't mean that the final product turns out that way when put together.
Sep 28, 2022 6:52 AM

Apr 2012
Well, unless you're one of the Sakuga resource writers who for some reason value the show more for the expensive animation than for the story or character development. Building blocks don't make your show a good one. What makes it good is how strong and beautiful a house you build from them.
Sep 28, 2022 7:01 AM

Aug 2013
The only thing that can grant make a show well written is if it has good writing. No more no less. Symbolism is only good as long as the way it is used is good.

Madoka's ending being based on buddhism or whatever doesn't change the fact that eternal return is among the laziest endings possible for a story.
Sep 28, 2022 7:48 AM
Dec 2017
nope not necessarily so the way its performed could either enhance or ruin a story best series that handles it is smt imo.

Sep 28, 2022 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
It does not, the foundation of the story is the best part.
Sep 28, 2022 8:10 AM

Sep 2018
Does [X] automatically grants a story or title as well-written? No.
Sep 28, 2022 9:06 AM

Mar 2016
Symbolism and references are meant to be supplementary to a narrative that's already fundamentally sound and well-written by itself, regardless of how simple or complex it is at the core. They're NOT meant to be something that is the main or sole dictation of a series being good or not. Unfortunately, a good number of shows, anime and non-anime, tend to fall victim to that. Symbolism, references, and deep idealism/philosophy will mean nothing, at least in my eyes, if the story fails fundamentally.
Sep 28, 2022 9:16 AM

Aug 2016
No, symbolism is just an add-on to the already existing story.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 28, 2022 10:04 AM
Dec 2019
The depth of a story is in its ability to SHOW its ideas through what happens in the story and the character psychology. Obviously, then, if you simply make a reference to something, the most that thing can do is serve as a filter to analyze what happens in the story itself, but if nothing much is happening then there's nothing to analyze. Less obviously, even if you go a bit further and say that the events of the story are paralleling some idea, like Nirvana or hermetic gnosticism, all you have is still the bare backbone of the idea that you referenced, whereas the idea itself might take a whole nonfiction book to flesh out. If the story wants to have claim to all the depth of the idea, then most of the nuance and detailing of the reference has to be in the story itself.

On a related note, I once saw a post that excused Sayaka's poorly written character by saying that her disproportionate reaction to her status can be excused by the fact that she embodies the idea of a knight templar. And knight templars are dogmatic in their ideals. Check this out:

https://thepageofhopes.tumblr.com/post/39628854610/let-me-tell-you-about-sayaka-miki

So OK, you're basically ADMITTING this character is nothing more than an archetype and not written as an actual person, and then you're using the fact that she's an archetype to excuse poor character writing? What backwards logic. If the character isn't an actual character, and doesn't behave in a human way, then the story loses its credibility and integrity and loses all claim to thematic significance. Then it's just an elaborate thought exercise rather than something that I can buy into. In-story, it makes no sense that a teenage girl in modern times would adopt an unreasonable mindset based on a stereotype from medieval times for no explained reason. It's just another example of Urobuchi positing some idea, and the character arbitrarily follows that idea, and then fans explain undercooked character writing by saying that it makes sense because the character follows that idea.

This relates back to the OP's question, because it goes to show how you can't just insert external ideas that have already been developed and discussed into your story and use it as a writing shortcut to prop up the rest of your story. Something doesn't make sense? Refer to the outside text. You want to claim this story is deep? Refer to the other numerous books written about the topic. Since the topic is deep, then this story must be deep as well.

And lastly, yes, the ending of Madoka Magica WAS an asspull, just like every other major event in the show. It's the equivalent of the genie giving your three wishes, and then you wish for more wishes.

"Here's the power to do anything, as long as it's not against these set of arbitrary rules."
"OK, I'll simply use this power to do anything to negate those set of rules."

Ok, then, what was the point of the entire series?
Sep 28, 2022 10:27 AM

Feb 2020
R_2_R said:

Quite a long time ago, I had a very civil discussion with a huge Madoka fan and at one point, this happened;

Me:- "Madoka is certainly a dark show and is might also be a good subversion on general magical girl tropes (I haven't watched any magical girl Anime btw, just talking about how genre is generally viewed). But the ending kinda felt like an asspull.

Madoka fan:- "I understand where you are coming from but there's actually a Buddhist philosophy incorporated in the ending... (Proceeds to back up their point talking about symbolism and how it retells a certain Buddhist story of Nirvana).
Me, after reading all that:- "Woah! That's pretty cool. But I'm still not very convinced or, should I say it still looks like an asspull".

Now thinking back, I'm kinda wondering how this similar points are also made in discussions about other acclaimed titles like "NGE & Death Note having heavy Christian symbolism" and few others times where people back up a show's writing quality with the amount of religious references/symbolisms it uses and I always think;
does it really matter? Or is it not possible to grasp the underlying theme without any of that knowledge?

My question is simple;
Does an Anime/Manga that retells or uses a certain religious/spiritual story makes it a well written?
I say yes (in most cases), but only because a story ambitious enough to include these references in an actually noticeable and recognizable way are typically rigorous and actually goo in other ways. So maybe not directly, but there's definitely a confounded facto that makes this often the case.
Please sign up for MangAlert! It's a little project I made that I'd really like to see the light of day and some users.

MangAlert! (please sign up!)
GitHub Repo (please star!)
Sep 29, 2022 12:33 AM

Apr 2022
It's kind of funny reading your original post being about Madoka Magica's religious symbolism and then saying that Christian symbolism applies to specifically other anime. Madoka Magica is deeply immersed in Christian symbology and themes, and it significantly informs the plot.

To your specific question. No, not really. Such symbolism has no real value in and of itself, but only insofar as it bolsters and helps elucidate the themes of the work to those who recognize the symbols. It's also important that the story be accessible to everybody, regardless of that symbolic content. So, the story shouldn't get 'much worse' for people who don't 'get' the references.

Edited to put all the images in a spoiler tag.
ScionOfCyanSep 29, 2022 12:56 AM
Sep 29, 2022 12:42 AM

Apr 2022
In fact, given what I have heard about the "Christian symbolism" in NGE (which I have not watched), it's all kind of just thrown in there at random, and doesn't inform the work at large.

Which would mean that Madoka Magica is miles more 'Christian' than NGE is or ever will be.

But I might be wrong about NGE, I haven't watched it after all. After I watch it I might have a different opinion.
Sep 29, 2022 12:50 AM

May 2021
>Does spiritual symbolism and/or references automatically grants a story or title as well-written?
No, if it's meaningless or solely for the purpose of aesthetic looking then it doesn't grant one to be well-written.

Sep 29, 2022 1:06 AM

Oct 2013
Just because one piece have nika from greek mythology doesn't mean it's good, simple as that.
Sep 29, 2022 1:11 PM

Apr 2022
JustOscar said:

My take on this aspect of Sayaka is a little odd and very involved so it will definitely take a full essay to build up the structure that underpins all my thoughts.

ScionOfCyan said:

JustOscar said:

Edited to put all the images in a spoiler tag.

ScionOfCyanSep 29, 2022 1:28 PM
Sep 29, 2022 1:22 PM

Apr 2019
depends on how literate the viewer is. the average viewer now just don't know how to read book and interpret details. this comes from both sides, the author and the audience.

so no, symbolism and references are good if they are used in such a way to propel the story, not the try to add meat to a plot.
on the other hand, don't expect the average person to appreciate a museum. art can be misunderstood.

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Sep 29, 2022 2:06 PM

May 2021
why does this question seem like someone who got butthurt over an argument instead of honest curiosity? well, probably because it is. Of course random symbolism doesn't make a story better

also, happy ending? wtf what anime did you watch lmao

Sep 29, 2022 2:21 PM
Jun 2021
Ah yes, the defense of the average Evat**d. Or Megucakek.
No, visual elements mean absolutely nothing when they send no message to the viewer. And that's the case for both Evangelion and Madoka - neither work has proper symbols, just background elements that merely appear to be symbols at first surface glance. IMO it's the indication that somebody either speedwatched or didn't follow the plot very well - because both works have messages stemming from plots.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Sep 30, 2022 8:51 AM

Apr 2022
JustOscar said:
ScionOfCyan said:

Sep 30, 2022 9:03 AM

Apr 2022
@JustOscar the key word in the context of Madoka Magica and too good to be true is ‘redemption’

Stories are representational and what Madoka Magica’s ending primarily represents is the religious person’s optimism in the possibility of and successful mechanisms for redemption. That’s why the oboe solo is played 2 times. Once at the end, and once in foreshadowing when Madoka tells mom she knows Sayaka is doing the wrong thing but wants to find out how to save her anyhow.

The most prominent ‘anti-Christian pseudo-religions’ nowadays have no such mechanism: violate the creed, and that’s it, you’re done, no forgiveness will be granted to you for the rest of your life (consider being ‘cancelled’).
ScionOfCyanSep 30, 2022 9:07 AM
Sep 30, 2022 8:34 PM
Dec 2019
JustOscar said:

Well let me put it this way: maybe the people supposedly without faith would never believe in the "too bad to be true" scenario that Madoka Magica sets up in the first place. You can say that the entire premise is kind of like a reverse miracle, or a negative miracle to begin with. So negating that setup with another all-encompassing, abrupt solution just doesn't do it for me.

At the risk of starting a religious debate... it's kind of like how you'd first have to buy in that God condemns everyone to death (at best, or Hell depending on your denomination) as a default state.
Sep 30, 2022 8:48 PM

Apr 2022
R_2_R said:

I'm already here. There are no more brain cells to lose.
I may make you feel but I can't make you think.

Sep 30, 2022 9:09 PM

Oct 2013
R_2_R said:
My question is simple;

Not always, and I dare to say: in most of cases it doesn't make it either well written or deeper than usual anime story. In many cases it's used as a convenient device to give simple and naive story sort of "elitistic element", so something that pseudointellectual anime fans might use to show how "superior" they are towards "common anime watchers". Same goes with few other themes, like military theme in example.

Don't get me wrong: well written religious, spiritual, militaristic, philosophical etc. etc. story might be great and visibly better than regular anime or manga. However it doesn't mean that such well written stories dominate in the world of anime and manga.
Sep 30, 2022 9:59 PM

Mar 2019
No why would it. Imagery, references and symbolism are devoid of meaning unless they are given that within context.
KumiveneellaSep 30, 2022 10:10 PM
Oct 1, 2022 12:16 AM

Apr 2022
Recynon said:
JustOscar said:

Well let me put it this way: maybe the people supposedly without faith would never believe in the "too bad to be true" scenario that Madoka Magica sets up in the first place. You can say that the entire premise is kind of like a reverse miracle, or a negative miracle to begin with. So negating that setup with another all-encompassing, abrupt solution just doesn't do it for me.

At the risk of starting a religious debate... it's kind of like how you'd first have to buy in that God condemns everyone to death (at best, or Hell depending on your denomination) as a default state.
This is an interesting way of putting it and I think potentially has a lot of truth to it.

Personally I’m very receptive to and often very much enjoy stories that plunge characters in dark places. It rather goes hand in hand with caring deeply about the possibility of redemption that one would also be particularly critical or focused on one’s own ‘sins’ (see the Biblical notion of original sin). Whereas more ‘secular’ views are often more optimistic about fundamental human nature (Locke & Hobbes).

That self-flagellating albino Dan Brown creates in his book The Da Vinci Code comes to mind. That’s kind of how I imagine non-Christians think about Christians who take the ideas of fire and brimstone seriously. Everything you said fits perfectly under that model.
Oct 1, 2022 12:28 AM

Apr 2022
Madoka is this story with tons of elements that ‘go down more smoothly’ if you grew up in a traditional religious matrix. One great example is the way Sayaka responds when she learns the truth of the Soul Gems. Somebody upthread (I think it was Recynon actually) mentioned how with their upbringing Sayaka’s response makes no sense to them. And I can see how somebody could think that. But with my more traditional upbringing and the ideas about the nature of souls, their instantiation into the body, and what souls represent in my culture Sayaka’s response makes 100% sense. And when I saw Recynon’s initial comment I thought about trying to explain that and realized I probably couldn’t. It’s like, just this big cultural disconnect in how one sees the world. For both of us it’s ‘obvious.’

So for Recynon Sayaka is an extremely poorly written character, and for me I feel Sayaka is literally the best-written character I have seen in anime. Is there a way to ‘bridge that gap?’ If there is, I don’t know what it would be.
Oct 1, 2022 1:47 AM

Jul 2021
ScionOfCyan said:
JustOscar said:

My take on this aspect of Sayaka is a little odd and very involved so it will definitely take a full essay to build up the structure that underpins all my thoughts.

ScionOfCyan said:

Ig, the sci-fi element was there to engage viewers who're not familiar with all the religious elements, because it wasn't until it kicked in at 9th or so episode, that I actually got interested to proceed any further. Until then, I only thought I'm just watching a dark show with magical girls in it and I haven't caught any of these religious symbols you've been pointing out because I'm not familiar with any of it.

And to people who pointed it about, yeah, it's not really a happy ending. I just blurted it out because I kinda remember coming out of the show with some positive feeling (It's been more than a year I've watched this and the movie, so I kinda forgot many details about the show).
Oct 1, 2022 2:01 AM

Apr 2022
R_2_R said:
ScionOfCyan said:

Ig, the sci-fi element was there to engage viewers who're not familiar with all the religious elements, because it wasn't until it kicked in at 9th or so episode, that I actually got interested to proceed any further. Until then, I only thought I'm just watching a dark show with magical girls in it and I haven't caught any of these religious symbols you've been pointing out because I'm not familiar with any of it.

And to people who pointed it about, yeah, it's not really a happy ending. I just blurted it out because I kinda remember coming out of the show with some positive feeling (It's been more than a year I've watched this and the movie, so I kinda forgot many details about the show).
Yeah that makes sense. It’s really interesting to me how people can ‘see’ two different things when it’s the same thing. Consciousness is crazy
Oct 1, 2022 2:05 AM

Oct 2019
The answer is a no, but it is an addition.

it's the bonus, not the reward. the desert, not the main course.

In madoka's case there are a lot of other reasons why it is well written which would take WAY too long to fully explain, so I will just say this...

the story of madoka hasn't even ended yet. rebellion is a direct sequel and there is a movie coming that takes place after it.

you say yourself that the ending makes sense in theory, so calling it an asspull is objectively wrong, now that said, I do see why it wouldn't be satisfying. but them again, it's not really the ending, it could have been, but it's not.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 1, 2022 2:13 AM

Aug 2020
"Does an Anime/Manga that retells or uses a certain religious/spiritual story makes it a well written?"

Not necessarily. It has to do sth with it like maybe through foreshadowing by showing them those symbols/references HIDING the meaning behind which'll only make sense after figuring out what they are and/or what they mean. If, they show the symbols and has no meaning whatsoever no matter how much you try to make sense then there's nothing well written about it. It just adds to the show's style but not the writing.
Oct 1, 2022 2:42 AM

Jul 2021
Considering everyone gave a pretty similar answer, "It doesn't matter if it has no depth/meaning to it".
How exactly can you tell if a particular symbolism doesn't have a meaning and on what basis (any examples, if you can add)?
Oct 1, 2022 8:14 AM
Dec 2019
ScionOfCyan said:

This is an interesting way of putting it and I think potentially has a lot of truth to it.

Personally I’m very receptive to and often very much enjoy stories that plunge characters in dark places. It rather goes hand in hand with caring deeply about the possibility of redemption that one would also be particularly critical or focused on one’s own ‘sins’ (see the Biblical notion of original sin). Whereas more ‘secular’ views are often more optimistic about fundamental human nature (Locke & Hobbes).

That self-flagellating albino Dan Brown creates in his book The Da Vinci Code comes to mind. That’s kind of how I imagine non-Christians think about Christians who take the ideas of fire and brimstone seriously. Everything you said fits perfectly under that model.

You talk as if other types of stories don't plunge characters into dark places and/or that people like me don't like Madoka Magica because it supposedly does so. Madoka Magica's darkness is skin deep because for me the characters don't really take a plunge so much as we're told they fell into despair because the story says so. This has less to do with whether or not one likes showing the ugly psychological side of characters and more to do with executing this properly. I also find the notion that secular views are generally more optimistic to be inexact. Rather I'd say that a secular viewpoint allows for a deeper, more nuanced viewpoint of human nature that potentially allows for an actual investigation into the so-called dark parts of human nature without grouping all those dark-parts under the label of sin and natural human wretchedness.

Furthermore, just like with before, I can also flip it around and say that secular viewpoints are less optimistic than a typical Christian viewpoint because it doesn't necessarily believe in a world where everyone is forgiven and gets eternal life for simply believing in something. If you're a Christian, in most denominations, you probably believe in the possibility that you'll get a life after death, which is pretty optimistic.

Along those lines, you say that the notion of original sin allows for the possibility of a redemption. A lot of Christians find this redemption an appealing concept, but respectfully, I don't see much value or beauty in such a one-dimensional redemption that solves all problems in one fell swoop. In terms of storytelling most people would agree that an instant redemption is not satisfying nor earned. Same thing goes for Madoka Magica; if you're going to make everything unilaterally bad, and then suddenly flip it, that holds little meaning.

"That self-flagellating albino Dan Brown creates in his book The Da Vinci Code comes to mind. That’s kind of how I imagine non-Christians think about Christians who take the ideas of fire and brimstone seriously. Everything you said fits perfectly under that model."

I haven't read that book, and I'm not sure how what I said fits into that example. Respectfully, you also don't need to keep assuming that most people are non-Christians and/or that non-Christians wouldn't have exposure to and knowledge of Christianity and the Bible. I've had weekly Bible studies since I was a kid and I've interacted with different strains of Christianity. A lot of atheists/agnostics are people who grew up in a Christian environment. I don't claim to be an expert on Christianity but I've had a decent amount of exposure to it. The degree to which Christians are focused on their sin and their punishment in Hell varies across the denominations. Some groups, like the Jehovah's Witnesses, don't even teach Hell, but at the same time they focus more on doing good works as the key to salvation, hence their stricter lifestyle codes. Other groups are more lax, and even though they teach Hell, the barrier to salvation is low in that all you need to do to be saved is to simply believe.

But all that still rests upon the fundamental tenet of Christianity that people are pretty much guilty until proven innocent; I don't mean to imply that this necessarily means intense self-punishment but simply that for the purposes of storytelling, this simplified one-size fits all, one-sided narrative doesn't make for a good premise.

ScionOfCyan said:
Madoka is this story with tons of elements that ‘go down more smoothly’ if you grew up in a traditional religious matrix. One great example is the way Sayaka responds when she learns the truth of the Soul Gems. Somebody upthread (I think it was Recynon actually) mentioned how with their upbringing Sayaka’s response makes no sense to them. And I can see how somebody could think that. But with my more traditional upbringing and the ideas about the nature of souls, their instantiation into the body, and what souls represent in my culture Sayaka’s response makes 100% sense. And when I saw Recynon’s initial comment I thought about trying to explain that and realized I probably couldn’t. It’s like, just this big cultural disconnect in how one sees the world. For both of us it’s ‘obvious.’

So for Recynon Sayaka is an extremely poorly written character, and for me I feel Sayaka is literally the best-written character I have seen in anime. Is there a way to ‘bridge that gap?’ If there is, I don’t know what it would be.

So yeah, given my background, the cultural disconnect is not the issue. Even if I wasn't, the religious fanatic is a common trope. In fact, I myself surmised that a good explanation for Sayaka's behavior is if she was raised in a fundamentalist Christian household. This would've made her character arc well-written, bridging the gap, as you say, if they had actually bothered to show it. This is a problem with basically all of the show's characters: they don't bother explaining stuff and leave the viewer to fill in the holes. You're doing the same thing that the article I linked is doing: using outside knowledge to justify how well-written a character is, based on little clues in their behavior that MIGHT support that interpretation but just as easily could not. You don't know for sure that Sayaka did what she did because of some religious background ingraining ideas of a pure soul in her head. It's a likely explanation, but for all we know concretely, she's just a regular Japanese school girl (and btw, Christianity is not as big in Japan so we have even less reason to believe that that's her background). So unless you believe that Japanese teenagers, through the normal course of their upbringing in Japan, develop ideas about the purity of the soul, no, Sayaka's arc is not well-written and it's rather under-written.

To give you a further example that also shows my familiarity with similar religious doctrines, the Jehovah's Witnesses believe that blood is sacred, and thus will refuse blood transactions even in life-threatening situations. However, if I saw a character that is characterized as just a normal person in regular modern society, with no reference to religion, refuse blood transactions in a movie because they believe it would make them impure, leading to a major character's death, I would call that forced and jarring writing. I'd say that the writer wanted to force the death and couldn't come up with a better way of doing so.

Furthermore, even if you mention in passing that Sayaka was raised in a fundamentalist Christian household, her descent into suicidal despair still would've happened way too fast and not enough attention was devoted to her character, such that her arc would've remained mostly superficial. Once you get past that, all the story would've managed to do was trick a teenage girl into doing something that goes against her religious beliefs. The main theme there would be deception; Sayaka wouldn't have made the same decisions if she knew the full story. This is as opposed to letting her know everything from the start and showing her struggle between wanting to make her wish come true and staying true to her religious beliefs.
RecynonOct 1, 2022 8:28 AM
Oct 1, 2022 8:17 AM

Mar 2008
No, it just depends how it’s done. If it’s done well it’s one way to add extra layers to a story but if poorly done it actually subtracts from it by lacking originality.
Oct 1, 2022 11:21 AM

Apr 2022
@Recynon it doesn’t really matter if one has no exposure or has copious exposure and chooses to reject the worldview. It all redounds to the same thing. One’s worldview and beliefs have a significant impact on how they interpret anything they perceive.

However, I did make assumptions based on the fact that it didn’t sound to me like you understand these ideas well. Since my implicit condescension in that regard led you to such a long response, I apologize for my forwardness. I tend to be blunt on the internet.

I could write essays and essays on minutiae of Sayaka’s character, and probably eventually will, in the future. I can ping you when I finish them, if you like. Unfortunately I don’t feel driven to continue a discussion on the points you’ve raised in this thread at this point in time. I’m sorry if that’s disappointing.
Oct 1, 2022 12:13 PM

Apr 2022
JustOscar said:
ScionOfCyan said:

Yes, this is exactly it. I may have poisoned the well by saying it was necessarily 'religious' or 'Christian' in nature. I think this sense of a 'self' that is somehow independent of the body in some fundamental way tends to be the default way humans process the world across history. And this rationalist or Enlightenment way of thinking which makes people feel confused about Sayaka's behavior is a relatively recent phenomenon. Or perhaps, it has appeared time and again throughout history and cultures which have that way of thinking were outcompeted by cultures that don't.

I checked Urobuchi's age and he's almost 50 now. Certain cultural aspects have changed dramatically in a way that affects how millenials and younger see the world, but Urobuchi appears to (at least in this instance) assume 'the old view' as basically an axiom of how everybody sees the world. And I see the world that way, just as he does.
Oct 1, 2022 12:34 PM

Jul 2021
Evangelion basically just thrown in Christian symbolism solely because they sound cool.
So no.
Oct 1, 2022 12:41 PM

Apr 2022
ScionOfCyan said:
JustOscar said:

Yes, this is exactly it. I may have poisoned the well by saying it was necessarily 'religious' or 'Christian' in nature. I think this sense of a 'self' that is somehow independent of the body in some fundamental way tends to be the default way humans process the world across history. And this rationalist or Enlightenment way of thinking which makes people feel confused about Sayaka's behavior is a relatively recent phenomenon. Or perhaps, it has appeared time and again throughout history and cultures which have that way of thinking were outcompeted by cultures that don't.

I checked Urobuchi's age and he's almost 50 now. Certain cultural aspects have changed dramatically in a way that affects how millenials and younger see the world, but Urobuchi appears to (at least in this instance) assume 'the old view' as basically an axiom of how everybody sees the world. And I see the world that way, just as he does.
ScionOfCyanOct 1, 2022 1:45 PM
Oct 1, 2022 2:52 PM
Dec 2019
@ScionOfCyan

"it doesn’t really matter if one has no exposure or has copious exposure and chooses to reject the worldview. It all redounds to the same thing. One’s worldview and beliefs have a significant impact on how they interpret anything they perceive."

Yeah but you were saying that I only perceive Sayaka to be a poorly written character because I don't have exposure to a certain worldview. And clearly, regardless of whether or not I agree with a particular worldview, I can at least understand where a character is coming from based on my knowledge of that worldview. So let me reiterate, in this case, the viewer's personal beliefs are not the issue and it's the show's fault that there's any confusion.

"However, I did make assumptions based on the fact that it didn’t sound to me like you understand these ideas well. Since my implicit condescension in that regard led you to such a long response, I apologize for my forwardness. I tend to be blunt on the internet.

I could write essays and essays on minutiae of Sayaka’s character, and probably eventually will, in the future. I can ping you when I finish them, if you like. Unfortunately I don’t feel driven to continue a discussion on the points you’ve raised in this thread at this point in time. I’m sorry if that’s disappointing."

Sure, and if you want, you can continue the discussion in my profile comments.

"Yes, this is exactly it. I may have poisoned the well by saying it was necessarily 'religious' or 'Christian' in nature. I think this sense of a 'self' that is somehow independent of the body in some fundamental way tends to be the default way humans process the world across history. And this rationalist or Enlightenment way of thinking which makes people feel confused about Sayaka's behavior is a relatively recent phenomenon. Or perhaps, it has appeared time and again throughout history and cultures which have that way of thinking were outcompeted by cultures that don't.

I checked Urobuchi's age and he's almost 50 now. Certain cultural aspects have changed dramatically in a way that affects how millenials and younger see the world, but Urobuchi appears to (at least in this instance) assume 'the old view' as basically an axiom of how everybody sees the world. And I see the world that way, just as he does."

The time period Urobuchi grew up in has nothing to do with it. Even if he was a 100 years old his view would be outdated by several centuries, not to mention the fact that Christianity is not nearly as big in Japan compared to the west. And from what I know the east is less concerned with precise definitions of the mind, body, and soul. Even if Urobuchi sees the world in an old-fashioned way, he'd surely realize that most of the world doesn't see things that way and since he's writing a story in a modern setting, it is his obligation to set up Sayaka's background to fit with her niche worldview. Also, the other characters, including the main character, were fine with the soul thing, so it's not like he wrote the story in a certain worldview. Furthermore, the evidence from his other works and his interviews strongly suggests that his viewpoint is more precisely about subverting ideals in general, whatever those ideals might be. So he's not limited to talking about medieval Christian ideals or whatever.

Concerning your analysis of Sayaka:

RecynonOct 1, 2022 3:22 PM
Oct 1, 2022 3:29 PM

Apr 2022
Recynon said:
@ScionOfCyan

Sure, and if you want, you can continue the discussion in my profile comments.

Okay, I'll keep you in mind to ping on this in the future. A lot of the analytical thought I have done on aspects of this story but haven't put into words yet will relate to some of these ideas mentioned. I'd prefer to put in the work to make those thoughts well-written and compact. If I stream of consciousness it out right now I won't be satisfied that I presented the picture well.
Oct 1, 2022 3:55 PM

Apr 2018
Absolutely not. In fact, in my opinion, it seems like the person you was trying too hard to read between the lines of Madoka for a symbol that does not meaningfully exist, or at best, shows no signs of having been put there intentionally by the writers to make any sort of point.

I also find it really funny that you bring up the symbolism in NGE because the authors have outright stated that they had put the Christian symbolism there to make it look cool and nothing more. In fact, I think they even went as far as to say that had they known how popular NGE would've gotten, they would've thought twice about including it.
ParataxicalisOct 1, 2022 3:58 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

21 by Ex-Aid »»
3 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 11 hours ago

45 by traed »»
4 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 5 hours ago

5 by Ex-Aid »»
4 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

43 by Jutrio »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 9 hours ago

31 by Jutrio »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.