Forum Settings
Forums

[Update Nov 7] Anime List Notes: Easily share thoughts with friends

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 28, 8:25 PM
Offline
Oct 2019
497
Very niiiiiiiiiiice MAL staff 👌I like writing my thoughts like this so I just finished adding some to my completed lol <3
Sep 29, 12:07 AM

Offline
Jun 2009
5342
Can I turn this crap off somehow? Just adds pointless bloat to my list.
Sep 29, 12:08 AM
平沢唯

Offline
Dec 2016
1770
Love these new updates! Taking the best of AniList and implementing it to MAL.
Sep 29, 12:27 AM

Offline
May 2015
53
I do think it's great reviewers that used tags don't have to use them anymore, but I have a complaint about this.

While you can disable the notes showing up as-is on your list, disabling the option doesn't stop your friends from getting your note updates. The only alternative to avoid this right now is to go private, but that isn't ideal.

It'd be great if the updates could be disabled by the note writer, not only by the friends getting the notif.
SegacoSep 29, 12:50 AM
Sep 29, 11:17 AM

Offline
Jan 2012
956
SheyCroix said:
Kwanthemaster said:
I was taking about the feature with some friends, and we noticed a privacy concern with this update. It seems that when you deselect the note toggle, this only changes the immediate visibility on your list (they still show up under "more"), but more importantly, they still show up in the recent friend updates section. Essentially this means that for people who wanted to keep these notes private (or at least not publicized to everyone on their list), is not able to unless they make their list entirely private.

I suggest the following updates:
1) Allow users the option to toggle if their own notes will show up in their friends updates.
2) Allow notes to be completely hidden from a user's list. If there are two toggles that allow you to either keep notes hidden under "more" or the option for them to be completely invisible, that would be ideal.

On another topic, are there any plays for our own anime/manga history pages to to receive a visual update to match the friends one?


Essentially, this.

I don't use notes as often, but usually I add there links to official sites and/or random blab. It would be very useful to completely hide the notes without having to make our entire list private.

+1 to visual update to the rest of the history pages


This.
I have always used the notes section to hold my private thoughts and comments about a series, and I hate that I now have to put my whole list on private just to avoid sharing those thoughts and comments with the world. An option to keep those thoughts/"notes" private without having to put my whole list in "private mode" would greatly be appreciated! The fact that there is not currently an option for this is pretty concerning for me. It makes me sad that I have to now keep my list as "private", so I hope I will not have to do this for too long.



Sep 29, 12:24 PM

Offline
May 2009
8122
Please give option to remove it. I like the list simple and not bloated.
Sep 29, 12:33 PM

Offline
Apr 2020
175
Kineta said:
To make it easier to share your thoughts on anime and manga with your friends, we've added some new functionality to this lost feature:[list][*]A new "Notes" column in the List Settings.


WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT NOTES ARE PUBLIC?????
I don't know how signatures work

Sep 29, 2:28 PM

Offline
Jan 2008
4627
How does this website keep getting worse with literally every update? Just...how?

Not only does this update make lists look cluttered, but notes were supposed to be private, not for the world to see. Just had to go through my lists and delete them all.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 29, 4:57 PM

Offline
Feb 2008
257
Any way to disable this comment under "Recent Friend Updates"? It's a bit unnecessary imo. And when I click on "See more", it slows my whole browser until I close out the tab...
Sep 29, 5:49 PM

Offline
Nov 2012
1862
Neat! No more using tags for this I suppose.
Sep 29, 11:45 PM

Offline
Mar 2022
4346
I've no idea what is going on with the hide/mute option ... But hopefully I can figure it out
Apparently, I've discovered that I can take these yawn filled days & turn them into movies..
Starry skies at night are beautiful but I wish it would rain and cleanse this shitty world...
Sep 30, 5:20 AM

Offline
Oct 2018
10959
WoW, Good Upd.



I really wanna know about his "I Love You" - Violet Evergarden
A girl who finally knows love
Sep 30, 12:45 PM

Offline
Sep 2016
175
Nice update, thanks!
;

This Life. This Night. Your Story. Your Pain. Your Hope. It matters. All of it matters.

;

Oct 3, 11:25 AM

Offline
Dec 2015
2977
https://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=listpreferences
Removing the checkmark for "notes" there will remove the additional line with the "add notes" thing. Just for the people that need it and who don't use the settings too often. So they can find it quickly.

Personally I still use the pretty old classic list style. The basic one without any modification. Always liked it cause it was neat and clean. And the additional line did not fit in there.

Edit: Though the opening post seems to mention this as well. :D But seems some others still did not find it ant complain about the list being bloated. (Personally I first tried to look for the settings before reading the thread. Luckily the new settign was easy to find and understand.)
Oct 8, 7:46 AM
Oct 15, 9:53 AM

Offline
Apr 2009
8
Luthandorius said:
https://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=listpreferences
Removing the checkmark for "notes" there will remove the additional line with the "add notes" thing. Just for the people that need it and who don't use the settings too often. So they can find it quickly.

Personally I still use the pretty old classic list style. The basic one without any modification. Always liked it cause it was neat and clean. And the additional line did not fit in there.

Edit: Though the opening post seems to mention this as well. :D But seems some others still did not find it ant complain about the list being bloated. (Personally I first tried to look for the settings before reading the thread. Luckily the new settign was easy to find and understand.)

Thx for the tip.
Kolejny do Kostnicy
Oct 24, 11:42 AM

Offline
Aug 2017
2591
Looks like they added the option to not send the note into the friends' feed, so it's fine now. The privacy issue was more or less addressed, but I wish the default option was to NOT show notes in the friends' feeds, rather than the opposite.
St0rmbladeOct 24, 12:24 PM
Oct 25, 12:40 PM

Offline
Jun 2021
441
St0rmblade said:
Looks like they added the option to not send the note into the friends' feed, so it's fine now. The privacy issue was more or less addressed, but I wish the default option was to NOT show notes in the friends' feeds, rather than the opposite.


I wonder why that's not the default. It's kinda a hassle that we always have to tick off/uncheck the box "Send note to Recent Friend Updates." when saving notes.
Oct 25, 12:50 PM

Offline
Aug 2017
2591
IridescentJaune said:
St0rmblade said:
Looks like they added the option to not send the note into the friends' feed, so it's fine now. The privacy issue was more or less addressed, but I wish the default option was to NOT show notes in the friends' feeds, rather than the opposite.


I wonder why that's not the default. It's kinda a hassle that we always have to tick off/uncheck the box "Send note to Recent Friend Updates." when saving notes.

It seems like the choice is also "saved" for a given entry. So if you tick it once for some anime and update notes multiple times, your choice will be saved (either notify friends or not)
Oct 25, 1:03 PM

Online
Aug 2014
2736
St0rmblade said:
IridescentJaune said:


I wonder why that's not the default. It's kinda a hassle that we always have to tick off/uncheck the box "Send note to Recent Friend Updates." when saving notes.

It seems like the choice is also "saved" for a given entry. So if you tick it once for some anime and update notes multiple times, your choice will be saved (either notify friends or not)

Good to see at least this was added, but I do not see any options for:
a) a setting for all notes to not be sent to your feed
b) the option for notes to be completely invisible (and your list still public)
I think it is good for there to be options for notes to be directly visible on your list or hidden under the "More" tab, but we are missing the third option.
birdbrain boogaloo
Oct 25, 1:04 PM

Offline
Jun 2021
441
St0rmblade said:
IridescentJaune said:


I wonder why that's not the default. It's kinda a hassle that we always have to tick off/uncheck the box "Send note to Recent Friend Updates." when saving notes.

It seems like the choice is also "saved" for a given entry. So if you tick it once for some anime and update notes multiple times, your choice will be saved (either notify friends or not)


Oh, yeah. I just noticed that after saving a couple of notes for different shows. It would've been better if the "Send note to Recent Friend Updates." option is just included in the List Settings like the 'Notes' one so we don't have to tick it for every anime/manga.
Oct 25, 1:56 PM

Offline
Aug 2017
2591
IridescentJaune said:
St0rmblade said:

It seems like the choice is also "saved" for a given entry. So if you tick it once for some anime and update notes multiple times, your choice will be saved (either notify friends or not)


Oh, yeah. I just noticed that after saving a couple of notes for different shows. It would've been better if the "Send note to Recent Friend Updates." option is just included in the List Settings like the 'Notes' one so we don't have to tick it for every anime/manga.

Fully agreed, this should be a list-wide option, possibly with an ability to override list-wide options for a specific chosen entry.
Oct 25, 8:10 PM

Offline
Oct 2020
2
Here's my hipster moment: I've been using the Notes feature since I signed up on MAL to write my personal long form thoughts on everything I've seen. I don't mind if people read them, but I tend to ramble and self-reference a lot since they are, after all, written by me for me. I also am a serial anime watcher and lately I feel like I've just been spamming the good people on my friends list with my constant notes updates.

I don't think I saw that "Send note to Recent Friend Updates" checkmark earlier today, so it must have happened in the last few hours. Thanks to whoever updated and added this feature so quickly.
Oct 26, 8:13 PM

Offline
May 2015
53
I'm just happy it happened, thank you
Oct 28, 9:10 PM

Offline
Apr 2016
263
I often write my personal thoughts on Notes. It is a place meant to me, where I can type the shit I want and remember why I liked or disliked something.

Never wanted to let other people know what kind of stuff I write there, so this update is a pain in ass to my overall privacy. No need to say that "send note to recent friend updates" should be disabled by standard and only the ones who want to share their thoughts should enable it. Even worse, it should be a global "disable" button, not an one by one.

StewedBeefHaunch said:
don't think I saw that "Send note to Recent Friend Updates" checkmark earlier today, so it must have happened in the last few hours. Thanks to whoever updated and added this feature so quickly.


I tested with myself, even if you disable the "send note to recent friend updates" people still will see them if they click on "Comment", surely a pain in ass.

All I can do is just hope for an update to fix this, just a button like "disable my notes to others" or something. Oof






Nov 3, 3:07 AM

Offline
Jun 2009
5342
grandy_UiD said:
Can I turn this crap off somehow? Just adds pointless bloat to my list.

Actually yes. Nice.
grandy_UiDNov 3, 3:11 AM
Nov 12, 12:11 PM

Offline
Sep 2019
11
Ohmena: I often write my personal thoughts on Notes. It is a place meant to me, where I can type the shit I want and remember why I liked or disliked something
Kwanthemaster: [Make an] option for notes to be completely invisible (and your list still public)
Beatnik: Notes were supposed to be private, not for the world to see. Just had to go through my lists and delete them all
EstebanOD: WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT NOTES ARE PUBLIC?????
IheartAnime77: I have always used the notes section to hold my private thoughts and comments about a series,
          I hate that I now have to put my whole list on private just to avoid sharing those thoughts and comments with the world
cheerio38010: Please make an option to make your own notes private
Volkslied: I would really appreciate a feature to make notes completely private
SheyCroix: It would be very useful to completely hide the notes without having to make our entire list private
St0rmblade: I never write comments/notes for others [...]
El-Melloi: I can see how you would think this is a good idea, but all of the comments/notes I wrote so far were reminders for myself

I have also always considered notes (previously known as comments) to be for myself only, and I didn't actually know up until a month ago that they were fully public instead...

So if it would be possible to make notes private, that'd be great. And as you can see this topic does not shy away from requests for notes to be PRIVATE; so can this happen already @Devs, pretty please? :)

You already hide empty notes when viewing other users' lists (at least on standard designs, it looks like), so you already have the code and the stylesheet to do it... so why don't you allow us to actually hide our user notes from our public lists? I've created a Poll, if you'd like to vote and leave your feedback on allowing user notes to be an actual reserved area.
S_h_a_r_k_93Nov 12, 7:11 PM
Do you know how Notes work? How do you personally use them?
Cast your vote and add a reply to this suggestion to let devs know:
Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)
Nov 12, 7:07 PM

Offline
Aug 2011
602
S_h_a_r_k_93 said:
I have also always considered notes (previously known as comments) to be for myself only, and I didn't actually know up until a month ago that they were fully public instead...

So if it would be possible to make notes private, that'd be great. And as you can see this topic does not shy away from requests for notes to be PRIVATE; so can this happen already @Devs, pretty please? :)

You already hide empty notes when viewing other users' lists, so you already have the code and the stylesheet to do it... so why don't you allow us to actually hide our user notes from our public lists? I've created a Poll, if you'd like to vote and leave your feedback on allowing user notes to be an actual reserved area.


A few weeks ago I noticed they actually added an option to not share your notes publicly for a show when you update it, right under the notes box in the advanced section of editing a show. So for me, things are fine again :) I don't think most people go out of their way to stalk your private notes in your list, and I mainly use that feature on my own list.
Nov 12, 11:14 PM

Offline
Aug 2017
2591
cheerio38010 said:
S_h_a_r_k_93 said:
I have also always considered notes (previously known as comments) to be for myself only, and I didn't actually know up until a month ago that they were fully public instead...

So if it would be possible to make notes private, that'd be great. And as you can see this topic does not shy away from requests for notes to be PRIVATE; so can this happen already @Devs, pretty please? :)

You already hide empty notes when viewing other users' lists, so you already have the code and the stylesheet to do it... so why don't you allow us to actually hide our user notes from our public lists? I've created a Poll, if you'd like to vote and leave your feedback on allowing user notes to be an actual reserved area.


A few weeks ago I noticed they actually added an option to not share your notes publicly for a show when you update it, right under the notes box in the advanced section of editing a show. So for me, things are fine again :) I don't think most people go out of their way to stalk your private notes in your list, and I mainly use that feature on my own list.

This option is good but it doesn't make the notes "private", it's just the status-quo before the update (they're public but are not sent to your friends). A welcome addition to be sure, but I'd like it to be the default option, without the necessity to click on it for every entry. And more privacy would be nice as an option.
Nov 24, 1:21 AM

Offline
Jan 2017
29
Kineta said:
For members who have been using tags as notes, we will be adding a one-way conversion button to transfer your notes from the tags area. This is still being developed, so please give us a bit more time with this.

@mods do you know if we're getting this function before the year ends?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» MAL Secret Santa 2022 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Nov 17

141 by SteamedPlague »»
5 hours ago

» Company Page Edits Released; People Comments Closed ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Oct 7

134 by MysticStrider »»
Nov 21, 11:57 PM

» Manga DB Expands: More webtoons & digital-only manga to be added ( 1 2 )

Kineta - Jul 24

85 by Yoshane »»
Nov 21, 5:26 AM

» Anime NYC 2022: MixBox meets MyAnimeList

Kineta - Nov 16

6 by Memore »»
Nov 21, 1:05 AM

» Summer 2022 Challenges & Badges are here! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Jun 29

457 by Vincentevil »»
Nov 17, 2:50 AM