Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2022 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
After all the bizarre events, drama, etc, I'm just glad this finale felt a bit...idk normal. Even though it's still far from it, this show managed to do an interesting job at capturing the essence of its storytelling.

Seeing Berry with her family one last time together was refreshing. Their world will never be the same after everything.
Sep 18, 2022 7:28 AM

Jul 2017
At first, I'd thought that Berry was the girl being brought back to her world, and by that, I mean the REAL world with her parents well and alive. But the world is without Deco nor Yurei, and this is a semblance of Hack's life portrayal, and one that he was able to break out of thanks to her. And that peacock named Sam, truly is Phantom Zero, which Hack almost got trapped in the Angel Fish Club, and right into the plans of the head of the Customer Center a.k.a Finn's target: Injunction Jo. It all adds up now.

Instead, what Injunction Jo alleviates to this whole Mark Twain, Phantom Zero situation, it's all in a fixed algorithm according to her terms of governing the island with the context of truth seen as fiction to balance inconsistency, even if truths contain lies in and of itself that people like Berry know it isn't definite. But all she wanted was to find a successor, someone that is along the lines of her thinking of naiveté and pure-hearted individuals, and Hack and Berry happen to be her potential candidates, which they greatly oppose her rule.

By putting the entire town in Phantom Zero disturbance thanks to the Yurei Detective Club with Phantom Zero's wolf Deco, Finn gets saved and along with Berry, and all that's left is on Hack to take her place as the new Phantom Zero and construct their world. And with the disbandment of the Yurei Detective Club, all is back to normal and there is nothing left to hide. What you see then and now is the truth, and it was a plentiful ride for this unique original show that Masaaki Yuasa doesn't have the influence for.

The choice of integrating real-life segments with animation in the opening segment, it seriously looks cool. Only Science SARU can pull this off.

Otherwise, this is a decent show, it's fairly good in spots.
KANLen09Sep 18, 2022 8:55 AM
Sep 18, 2022 7:30 AM

Apr 2020
what a messy ending
at least the theming was alright

>deboonkers and jannies doing it for free

Sep 18, 2022 7:31 AM

Nov 2007
Collaboration song for this ep. is the main team's song!
https://twitter.com/YUREIDECO/status/1571507333942767617
tsubasaloverSep 18, 2022 9:56 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 18, 2022 7:56 AM

May 2021
??? episode!
The...3d world?!!
We got to see a girl and her pet peacock Sam and it seems this is a world without Yurei or Decos.
Berry enters the girls' room and calls out to Hack who is in girl form.
'I love Ai!'
Seems Hack finally is back from the 3d world.
Phantom zero is an old woman and she says she will tell Berry and Hack everything.
Her me is Injunction Jo and she says she will pass her role onto Berry and Hack and give them the ability to have eyes everywhere...
She tells them there is no free will and every action is a response from a backup of information in the system.
She wants a successor and thinks she has picked right.
Hack has become Phantom Zero?
Seems Berry is finally reunited with her parents and the role of content moderator has changed.
Hack is still salvaging for his shop.
Watson owns a ramen shop.
Madam and Smiley seem happy. And Doron and Smiley go fly together regularly now.
Finn went to his old home and those there can now get love by cleaning trash also.
Jo went on a trip in a homemade airship.
And lastly, Hack hasn't made any contact with Berry since. But they meet eventually.

Didn't really like this show that much personally and was confused quite a bit. I felt as if it was trying to be weird and random for the sake of it.
Rem4lifexDSep 18, 2022 8:02 AM
AISHITERU...REM!
Sep 18, 2022 8:24 AM

Feb 2022
I like the music of this anime.
Sep 18, 2022 8:53 AM

Feb 2018
Not really sure what to think of this series overall. It didn't really turn out to be anything that interesting.
Sep 18, 2022 8:55 AM
Sep 2020
Rem4lifexD said:
??? episode!

Oh... oh wow.
If Rem4LifexD doesn't think your episode is a "Great episode!", you know you've screwed up...
Sep 18, 2022 10:04 AM

Nov 2014
What a lame ending. This show honestly got worse and worse as time went on and never managed to recover itself. I guess that's what I get for watching one of these pretentious Science SARU projects.
Quality Queen.
Sep 18, 2022 10:12 AM
Sep 2015
I just notice MAL doesn't put some label information in this anime yet, so I suggest genre "Sci-fi", demographic "Kids" and, source "Novel".
Sep 18, 2022 10:40 AM

Feb 2019
I really dunno how to feel about the show. I’m not gonna sit here and pretend it was enjoyable. Most episodes I was insanely bored and constantly checking my phone to see when it was ending.

The first episode started with a lot of potential and being SARU I had high expectations that this would be another eizouken masterclass. But it never reached that point and only devolved into more and more weirdness. Looks like some people enjoyed it which is great for them , couldn’t get into it tho. Ending felt rushed and awkward. 4/10.
Sep 18, 2022 11:06 AM

Apr 2011
Boy, what a crummy ending! I really thought this show was going to be a lot more cynical or critical about technology, and in the end they seem to think it's basically all fine. We just need a cool person to control literally all information that exists and it'll be chill!

And Finn's neighborhood gets a "happy ending" where they're still forced into a system that uses Love as a currency, and they have to clean up the pollution that was foisted on them by the wealthy. What? Ugh.

The animation and the voice acting are excellent, but the writing here completely lost itself. A real shame. I don't think they knew what they wanted to say or how to say it.
Sep 18, 2022 11:33 AM
Mar 2019
yeah, the ending was pretty weak.

why was phantom zero making things go to 0 love cost? how did that bring humanity? how did that help her find a successor? it just seemed to be messing around with the government.

hack took over and immediately abandoned the job? what was he even supposed to do?

what was injunction joe's job? the content managers decided what was real or not. all she did as phantom zero was make things cost 0 love or make someone's love go down to 0. the customer center controlled what people got to see or not. was she somehow in control of the customer center?

and finally, instead of the government deciding what to censor or not, now it's up to mob rule to decide what to censor or not? what does the content moderator even do at work now?

like, this dystopian future where twitter took over the world just ended up just as dystopian, but probably worse. I rather have twitter decide what to censor than the users. of course, I wouldn't expect anything japanese to espouse freedom of speech. the nail that sticks up gets hammered down after all. but geez, they really probably made the world worse overall besides helping out their friend's life problems for the time being.
Sep 18, 2022 12:11 PM

Jul 2014
I've loved this show, but this was a really poor finale. In the grand scheme of things, what was the point of any of this? As far as I can see, functionally nothing about their world or society change, so it's just as dystopian as it was before, if not more so even. And if Hack was gonna come back from taking over Injunction Jo's role so soon, what was the point? Also, I still feel like I don't really understand why Phantom Zero existed and what it actually accomplished.

A real shame it ended up this way, but I still enjoyed the show as a whole. 7/10
Sep 18, 2022 12:13 PM

Apr 2012
hmmmm... it is really rare case when because of last ep i give an anime lower rating than expected from the start, but okay, here it is. 7/10 sadly((.
To err is human. To purr is feline (c)
Sep 18, 2022 12:35 PM
Jan 2022
I thought it was an interesting show and it did explore certain themes in a meaningful way
Sep 18, 2022 3:46 PM

Sep 2018
This garbage is finally over, Science Saru fails to impress once again.

Stinker Checklist:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken? Check.
Devilman Crybaby? Check.
Yurei Deco? Check.

Haven't seen Heike Monogatari or Nihon Chinbotsu 2020, but I'm sure those are going to be stinkers as well once I get around to them. Hell will seemingly freeze over before they make something substantial to go along with their style.

Sep 18, 2022 5:55 PM
May 2022
I'm quite mixed on the finale. Didn't we all forget about Kearney is murdered by Lady Injunction Jo formerly known as Phantom Zero? They let her off scott-free at the end there.🤔

Her giving them a choice to take over Mark Twain and finding a worthy heir gives me CATCF and Persona vibes. (Both my favorite book and video game series molded into one.)

Hack's past still remains ambiguous, with only revealing her parents being part of the Angel Fish Club and is used to live in a manor with them. We don't know what happened to them. (Young Hack with her golden long hair reminds of Rei from Persona Q.)

Then one year later at the epilogue, everything felt so unreal yet bizarre to be honest like...am I in a delusion or something? But it turns out Hack took the challenge on taking over Mark Twain to change the world for the better.

It may seem like they will never see each other again until Berry finds Hack up at the building and dang...please stop...they were children but I have to ship them.😅

Was expecting something grand, but I'll take what I get. At the very least, I enjoy Yurei Deco from start to finish and it was an underrated gem of Summer 2022, despite it will be forgotten afterwards.
StarryFruittySep 18, 2022 6:01 PM
Sep 18, 2022 5:56 PM
May 2020
Even though the ending was rushed this is still the best original show of the season,
This world is more horrifying then the world of Cyberpunk: Edgerunners because it hides all the evil.

And I would rather watch this than cute kids doing cute things in another world for sure.
Sep 18, 2022 6:35 PM

Oct 2014
i was afraid the ending would be rushed, and my fears seem to be confirmed. honestly, it didn't take away from the series, but i think if their was less filler i think this ending would have stuck more perfectly. but other than that it is a pretty good show. i would definitely recommend similar anime to this as this is much more of a light-hearted approach of a typical cyberpunk dystopia, but it still has some great social commentary about social media and the post truth world we've found ourselves in recently.
Sep 18, 2022 6:39 PM
May 2022
alpo42ab said:
Even though the ending was rushed this is still the best original show of the season,
This world is more horrifying then the world of Cyberpunk: Edgerunners because it hides all the evil.

And I would rather watch this than cute kids doing cute things in another world for sure.

You meant moeblobs? Yeah, wouldn't mention another saccharine anime with robotic, underage-like girls.😑
Sep 18, 2022 7:35 PM

Nov 2008
Unsatisfying ending to an unsatisfying series.
Sep 18, 2022 8:49 PM

Oct 2016
Honestly was an ok show. I thought the concept was cool, but it had lackluster execution all throughout. This ending didn't really do much as well, like I don't think anything was resolved, except I guess information is not censored anymore, but it just felt underwhelming. Though I don't really know what the goal was to begin with. The only substantial thing here I noticed is that Hack is actually a girl lmao. Aye, soundtrack was great though. 6/10
Sep 18, 2022 10:14 PM

Nov 2015
Well, that turned out to be more interesting than I thought. It touched on some pretty deep questions--do we have free will? (How would one even define that, and does it really matter if not?) Is what we experience actually reality? (How would one even define that, and does it really matter if not?) Is the virtual world we increasingly live in the same kind of "real" as a bird in a tree outside, and why or why not?

Of course, those questions aren't going to get resolved in a 12-episode anime series. People have been grappling with them for a very long time. But it was an interesting way to at least raise them.
Risk something, take back what's yours
Say something they know they might attack you for.
--Linkin Park, "Hands Held High"
Sep 18, 2022 10:41 PM

Jul 2016
So... that was it, huh? Phantom Zero was revealed to be an old lady who likes to mess with moderators for some reason, we got a long-ass speech about human nature being dictated by algorithms that probably neither Hack nor Berry understood and a conclusion with Hack BRIEFLY becoming Big Brother because "why not?" and Berry getting a feminist haircut to seal her supposed character development. Huh... what was the point of this show again? Yes, they got rid of censorship but everything else remained exactly the same.

3/10 - Honestly, no idea what Science SARU was trying to accomplish with this project.
Sep 19, 2022 1:29 AM

Nov 2012
Such a waste of potential, but well, it is what it is.

My Candies:

Sep 19, 2022 1:40 AM

Feb 2011
Just glad this heap of trash is over. I started it because MC was cute to be honest and the story was okay.
Designs were way over done.
Token black guy was hilariously designed
Ending was hot garbage

I should've dropped it and forgotten about it. but whatever. i disliked so much about this show i could easily write a pissass review of it but i'd rather let unsuspecting future viewers waste their time. This was quite literally a trojan horse, i expected goodness, but in the end it was monkeypox
3/10 overall.

Sep 19, 2022 3:14 AM
Jul 2020
These last couple of episodes were a sparse conclusion and they didn't show how exactly these changes were received by the general population of this world or how it will change the world in the long term but the series altogether was pretty good in spite of this. Some general thoughts on Yurei Deco as a whole:
-The world was the focus more so than the characters so I wish they went into more detail on how and why this kind of society came about.
-It kind of felt like Yurei Deco was two different shows: episodes 4-8 being a really good episodic show and the other episodes a decent plot focused show. It probably should have focused more on being one or the other.
-While Yurei Deco didn't go super in depth with it the subject matter is very fresh and very topical. I think we'll be seeing more an more media dealing specifically with censorship and what people should see on social media in the future.
-I'm impressed by how they were able to maintain the vibe of the show and keep it family friendly while dealing with some serious topics.
-The amount of censorship in Yurei Deco's world may border on absurd especially with how they don't even acknowledge the existence of their lowest class of people the Yurei but is it really so different than what a country like North Korea does?
-While less extreme than the censorship in Yurei Deco in the real world disturbing material like war footage or atrocities committed by totalitarian regimes are sometimes removed or at least aren't pushed by the algorithms of social media websites. Obviously most people don't want to see things like beheadings, the effects of chemical warfare, people working in sweatshops, ect when browsing something they use for entertainment like Twitter or Facebook but when it's also the main way those same people interact with the world and consume news having social media be so sterile creates a real risk of creating the illusion that everything is fine in the world like in Yurei Deco.
-They also show how information spreads indiscriminately. Whether it's true, false, or unsubstantiated rumor social media will speed the spread of info and create more confusion than clarity. That controlling information isn't just about censoring inconvenient truths but also about stopping the spread of misinformation is often overlooked in media about the subject so good on Yurei Deco for that.
JimgusSep 19, 2022 3:18 AM
Sep 19, 2022 5:56 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I liked seeing Hack's kind of real 3D world and how Hack succeeded to Jo after getting that happy ending but I expected more for this side, though that was still a fine adventure thanks to how weird and original was this show for both the strange story but especially the visuals xD
Sep 19, 2022 10:48 AM

Jan 2020
Last episode.

I thought that blonde girl was about to be Hack's real backstory. Turned out to be an illusion, but it would've been an interesting idea, and would've explained some of Hack's standoffishness a bit more.

Otherwise, I was okay with the ending. I didn't particularly have any expectations for Phantom Zero, and whatever came out of the plot was whatever. I sort of had the same reaction as Hack, in that I was hardly paying much attention. She talked so much I almost fell asleep. The show wasn't really even about Phantom Zero. It was the starting point, but it was clear that it was more about Berry and her friend's adventures. With that in mind, it should be noted that Berry was offered a Phantom Zero position as well but declined. If the focus of the series was meant to be Phantom Zero then that should've been integrated into every episode, but it clearly wasn't.

All that mattered to me was seeing where the characters ended up. Berry went through a lot of growth through the series, especially in the last few episodes. That in and of itself is what made the series enjoyable for me. Couple that with some unique scenery and an original story idea, and this was certainly one of the better shows this season.

I've been watching a lot of things this season, some of which have been a real disappointment. This, however, has not been. It was a treat from start to finish and I'm going to miss this weekly reprieve.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Sep 19, 2022 12:08 PM

Jun 2017
I didn't understand the ending, is Hack a girl? What happened to her parents? So... no fighting the evil lady just... chilling with her?
"Gradually Watermelon"
Sep 19, 2022 12:09 PM
Mar 2015
Hack the new Phantom Zero a really cute little girl
Sep 21, 2022 7:25 AM
Apr 2022
Had an interesting premise, but fall short. The whole mystery thing was just another willy wanka rip off. Wanting to find her predecessor, just so that she can leave her miserable life and go on a vacation. and the protagonist made her parents think that she was dead, while having a fun time with those forgettable side charcters. the conclusion was messy and unsatisfactory. 5/10
Sep 25, 2022 1:52 AM

Feb 2021
Well, the last episode was quite disappointing that they didn't explain what was happening up there. But I love the graphic style that they use in this anime.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 26, 2022 5:34 PM
Apr 2020
Awww, that was a fun finish to an enjoyable show~
Sep 27, 2022 8:33 AM

Dec 2016
The way it started with that 3D view, I thought I was watching something else.

Was Hack just trapped in that little girl's body or was it Hack's past?

That Injunction Jo went on explaining everything for so long but I barely understood anything about that algorithm thing.

I thought Phantom Zero would be an evil person they would have to defeat or something but the ending turned out to be quite simple and kinda anticlimactic. It wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be.

It was a simple happy ending. Good to see Berry living with her parents like usual and Fin getting accepted by everyone in his hometown.

Overall 7/10

It was a little disappointing compared to Science Saru's previous anime Heike Monogatari.
Sep 27, 2022 7:14 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Hm... so I'm guessing because Hack is in charge of that they were able to just get rid of info on Phantom Zero and such? But at the same time... kinda not the ending I was expecting or hyped for. We got some Talk no Jutsu. I guess it's okay, but hm... Also the idea that they don't erase things that are undesirable but instead mark what's considered bad is still pretty bad and some rather childlike thinking. Some things are good for some and bad for others. "Bad" is subjective. Some things are pretty neutral. Like, how do you really police that? I feel like that can be just as terrifying, yet they approached it as if that was some end all solution. It's just an odd choice when finding "truth" was such a huge theme of this. Understanding your own truth is something that really could have been noted as well.

As someone who ended up with a degree in Communications, I appreciate yet also don't appreciate the message. I do appreciate the attempt to address it, but the conclusion was a little weak. Actually I feel like there were a couple of things going on. Like, the idea of value through love... they kept it in the end, but at least hinted that doing good deeds that are actually helpful to society increases your value/love. Still, the idea of quantifying someone's value is already a bit of a weird idea in the first place. Like, people started actually cleaning up because they suddenly felt they gained value from doing that-- they didn't lift a finger before and would have rather remained in unhealthy conditions. I do like that it implies there's value in actually doing stuff for your community especially when people in that area were often shown to have very little value/love to society (or else they would have been given more love), but at the same time, suddenly those who are sick in bed or something and can't quite contribute like others can suddenly be seen as worthless. Like dang, just get rid of this system. A world dictated by media/technology which constitutes what has value and what is good or bad... like in general, it's just cruddy though it's already how our world is now. It's just that it's a lot more apparent here. That being said, I like the idea of making a lot of the setting shiny, cute, and colorful. It helped give the idea that the world had become superficial and shallow.

I have mixed feelings about the idea of privacy presented here. Like, they kinda make a big deal about invading someone's privacy, but at the same time everything is being watched. We kinda got a little bit of that again when Smiley and Madam said that everyone has their secrets. It became a bit of a running theme as well. So I was a little disappointed that even after Berry was told not to dig into Hack's life and reminded that everyone has things they'd rather hide, she still suggested that they look up Hack's parents. BUT at least when Berry received a tiny peek into Hack's life before (made possible through Jo's manipulation and likely from when Jo took a piece of Hack's data some episodes ago), Berry didn't exactly pry. She just did as much talking to Hack as was needed to bring her back. So that's was a plus.

Also, I did like the character designs and kinda liked the characters themselves. Yet at the same time, I wish more was given to them. Like, they could have worked with them more.
Overall, I did enjoy myself with Yurei Deco. I don't know if I'd say it deserves more attention because I feel like those coming in might be disappointed in the conclusions we were given (if any) about the themes we've been working with. Like the conclusions we got didn't exactly satisfy, but at the same time, it gives a little something to think about. However, I guess I've been having to think about all of these subjects on a much deeper level than this because of the Communications degree, so maybe for me this is like pre-intro to Communications and the ideas that come along with them... but I think this is pre-intro for even non-Communication majors, so I guess that's where the problem lies. So I dunno. I do hope people give it a try, but I just can't really recommend it because it doesn't hit those satisfying marks that it could have. Still, I did enjoy myself.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Dec 11, 2022 2:44 AM

Mar 2008
This ending felt not as satisfactory as I would like because it felt vague on what the end state of the society became. Does the Love function same as before or has it become to mean something else entirely focused instead on social aspects of society instead of consumerism? So basically doing good deeds and being a kind person? And what about all this surveillance? It seems it was kept in place and only thing that changed was less censorship but still having propaganda on what is “Bad” but that’s such a vague concept or does it mean they only kept the surveilence purely for solving crimes privately or is it worse than before and it means no one has a secret so everyone is in this social hellscape where the masses can ostracize people? I assume it’s not the last one because no one would think that’s a good idea for an ending.

I got the impression the blonde girl with a pet peacock was Junction Jo as a kid rather than Hack which makes more sense to me.

Still I loved the vibe of the show. It could have been better if they weren’t so vague in showing what the political philosophy is behind it.
Dec 15, 2022 5:11 AM

May 2009
So Hack was aryan blonde chick just like her seiyuu's previous role Ushio

More topics from this board

» This screams hidden gem of the season ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jun 6, 2022

68 by Marinate1016 »»
Sep 27, 2023 12:17 PM

» Pilot film question

Myani2016 - Dec 25, 2022

0 by Myani2016 »»
Dec 25, 2022 7:42 PM

» Song Information Regarding to Teaser video

Ancerise - Dec 10, 2022

0 by Ancerise »»
Dec 10, 2022 9:29 PM

Poll: » Yurei Deco Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2022

26 by Swiggy »»
Sep 26, 2022 3:35 PM

Poll: » Yurei Deco Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2022

86 by Swiggy »»
Sep 25, 2022 4:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.