Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 6, 2022 5:10 PM

Apr 2012
To be honest, I have vague feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm always open to remakes of good classics, but on the other hand, I worry about how much it will be changed and how it will be received.
Sep 6, 2022 6:10 PM

Jul 2020
oooh im soo excited--- i hope it turns out good, or else im gonna be oh so disappointed-

i feel like the series didnt need a remake, i rewatched the 70's anime earlier this year and it holds up imo, but if the movie'll make it into my country's cinemas (i feel like there's still an audience out there, lets hope the nostalgia hype makes its job) im super going to watch it anyways-

i just wonder what they're going to do with the plot of the film, is this going to be a series? will it speedrun the whole story and make me want to die? will it adapt part of it? We'll see!!
I need more info, but for now the expectations are quite high! (especially in regards of the animation, since it's a movie, obviously :D)
Sep 7, 2022 2:21 AM
Mar 2011
Now I wonder whether to continue with the series or just wait for the movie. It’s quite slow compared to other more engaging stories.
Sep 7, 2022 2:38 AM
Dec 2012
I'm expecting it to be a fairly rushed, compressed retelling but I'll take that if it means I can get classic bits redone in a really pretty way.
Sep 7, 2022 3:16 AM

Feb 2017
Don't have any particular expectations. I am just wondering how and what they will adapt in this movie. So far the teaser, key visual and Ikeda's illustration have only featured Oscar and Marie so maybe they adapt just the first part of the story? Idk, we practically have no info yet. Hopefully it turns out decent.

Sep 7, 2022 4:08 AM

Apr 2010
Well, it doesn't matter which series, I don't feel like wayching a rushed version of it, weather it's an episode or a whole movie. It is still much shorter.

krysalysm said:
Now I wonder whether to continue with the series or just wait for the movie. It’s quite slow compared to other more engaging stories.

It's been awhite, but I enjoyed watching it. It is quite old, so everything was much slower than. Someone can fix me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the action movies of that time looked anything like those of today, full of high speed. It has its own charm. Compressing 40 episodes into even a 2 hours movie... well, we can see a lot is missing.

Sep 7, 2022 4:51 AM
Sep 7, 2022 4:52 AM
Dec 2010
It can't improve on the original, and it also can't be a continuation for obvious reasons. So it's pointless
Sep 7, 2022 6:15 AM

May 2015
im extremely excited to see this. i swear everythings getting a modern remake now
My Candies:
Sep 7, 2022 6:31 AM

Oct 2010
The original is one of my all time favorite anime, so at the very least I'm excited to check it out at least once. A movie adaptation will obviously shorten the story, but I hope the overall feel of it stays intact.
Sep 7, 2022 7:33 AM

Feb 2008
krysalysm said:

u should continue. If almost a real life story full of emotions, history, normal evolution of events is not good for you, plss drop and watch sf actions anime, mecha, CGI stories etc.
Sep 7, 2022 7:48 AM

Jan 2022
krysalysm said:

It's not filled with action, but I would not call it slow or boring, it's superbly paced, and kept me basically glued to my seat the entire time, though I love history and period pieces. If your not into the series I wouldn't expect the movie to change your mind, I'd say push forward with the series, it takes 10 or so episodes for the central conflict to really kick off, and once it does things get really interesting.
Sep 7, 2022 7:50 AM
Aug 2014
I'm so excited!! And I hope it will be closer to the manga (since the 70s anime changed some storylines)
And judging by Oscar's blue uniform, it might be set in the second half of the story. All in all, I believe they can make a decent adaptation: Takarazuka was able to adapt RoV into 2-3 hour long productions (though, I admit, some feel very rushed).
At least some RoV fandom will get fresh blood.
(Please read the manga)
Sep 7, 2022 8:48 AM

Nov 2014
I'll wait for the reviews and scores. If it's good, I'll just watch this instead of the series since I've always been interested in the originals but the episode count and the fact that it's an old series turned me off.
Sep 7, 2022 10:21 AM

Jul 2016
whether it is bad or good, i will still watch it. i will be psyched if they release this for a limited time in theatres here, this would take precedent over any other movie for me. but by that short trailer, i have barely seen anything of it... can't even tell if they are actually going to "stuff" as much information as they can in here, covering what was covered in the anime/manga. or is it just more of a smaller collection of vignettes carrying the essence essentially overall of bara no versailles? the animation looks very polished. i guess i'll see which i prefer between the tv adaptation and the movie.
Sep 7, 2022 10:32 AM

May 2009
A predictable announcement. Japan in general has always preferred the manga over the anime adaptation (which took years to be better perceived there) and the teaser definitely capitalizes on that.
Sep 7, 2022 12:39 PM

Aug 2012
Saeedlfc said:
Why is there so much old stuff coming back recently

Cuz people noticed that its what sells I guess?
You see it in a lot of different mediums too.
I feel like it's all cinema and games do at this point.

I won't complain though, most anime remakes I've seen I've preferred over their originals.
Sep 7, 2022 1:34 PM
Jun 2008
I think the 2007 teaser looks 10 times better than this.
Sep 7, 2022 4:40 PM

Feb 2016
what the fuck they'll do a berubara film

Shidoteki said:

I won't complain though, most anime remakes I've seen I've preferred over their originals.

they aint doing better than Dezaki, i can assure you
Sep 7, 2022 8:46 PM

Dec 2012
i can't figure out what they're going to cut out to make the film work. if this follows the entirety of oscar's life, i think they'd include the general stuff at the start with marie, they *have* to include the stuff with oscar's fief starving (or make an alternate explanation for why oscar now is willing to against the crown), then go into the regiment that oscar leads, then the revolution. that leaves no space for andre, and i think it'll end up being quite rushed. they could maybe cut out the regiment...but then like, oscar taking part in the revolution will become quite strange. oscar's realization of the struggle of the third estate in france is a slow and rough transition for her because of her conflict as a noble and a protector of the queen and king. i don't see how they can fit that into 2 hours if you include the other main aspect to oscar's character--oscar's intrinsically includes a struggle of gender and gender expression, and removing the subplot where she "overcomes her gender" by proving to the regiment she's worthy of leading them only to later accept being a woman as a larger part of herself (with andre) imo kind of reduces oscar's character to...nothing much? her struggle here is dealing with the expectations her family set upon her against her will, struggling to accept herself as the "man" they want her to be, then later coming to terms with that she can be herself as a commander *and* accept herself as the woman she's always wanted to be. also oscar's struggle with her mortality and andre's sickness??? so i just don't see how they're gonna capture all that in a 2 hour movie but whatever lmao

there's also the option that they abandon how the old anime did things and adapt parts in the manga more closely. but to be honest, the manga is all over the place and includes even more garbage. like they cut out *so much* of the manga in the anime already (which was a good move imo) so i can't imagine like...how can you cut out all the important parts for this film to work. maybe it will only adapt the first part of marie's life or something and not go thru to the french revolution. which is...idk man. the manga's story is fairly well adapted by the anime imo for the important bits (it skips over a lot of the trouble near the beginning of the story, and skips over a lot of extraneous stuff). the anime imo did kinda mess stuff up by never introducing oscar's sisters even in passing, and also that it censors the scene between her and andre which was meant to be a very climactic moment in oscar's development. but beyond that it was much better presented than the manga. so i hope they don't adapt the manga too closely here bc i really do think the manga is a bit of a mess while the anime's story is a lot more streamlined.
MonEspritLibreSep 7, 2022 8:51 PM
Sep 7, 2022 8:48 PM

Dec 2012
also there's like legit a 0% chance my favorite episode with the 11 year old daughter character and the older marriage partner is adapted, and rosalie's role (if it even exists) will be really small

AND unless they completely change the plot, i don't see how they'll have time for the entire subplot with marie and the old king's mistress so idk what marie's character will even be lmao
Sep 7, 2022 11:16 PM

Oct 2016
Do you think it may be a series of films chronicling the series? Or maybe some stuff from volume five of the manga?
Sep 8, 2022 1:06 AM

May 2020
I'm hyped, but I am not fond of anime movies in general, as they simply lack the runtime to build their characters up and make the ending happen with much emotional impact. I think Oscar is in her 30s by the end of the series, so to cover over 30 years in one movie seems impossible. A detail I really liked about the Dezaki anime was that the characters' appearances aged so gradually that I didn't notice until the end of the series and looked back at it, this is simply impossible for the movie to achieve. Don't mistake this as criticism of this adaptation in particular, it's just my thoughts on movie adaptations really.
Sep 8, 2022 8:57 AM

Apr 2010
They are going to skip lot of stuff I bet but STILL i wanna watch this
Sep 8, 2022 2:49 PM
Master of Cursed

Aug 2011
I assume this will just be the whole series compressed into 1 movie and honestly I don't mind. If people want the full story they can watch the 1979 show or read it. This will get more people to even give it a chance nowadays, and I look forward to the (hopefully) pretty art and animation. I just want to see everyone look pretty.

Sep 9, 2022 11:24 PM

Jul 2016
omg i remember when the trailer for this dropped 15 years ago and it never happened,,, but it's happening now so I'm excited
Sep 15, 2022 1:42 PM

Mar 2020
This will either only be a partial adaptation or one so compressed it will be atrocious - I'm hoping for ther former personally - although they might find some new way to streamline the story or even turn the first half into a short prologue and largely adapt the second or something

Sep 19, 2022 7:39 AM
Apr 2008
krysalysm said:

You should definitely continue with the series. There is just functionally no way that this story can be properly adapted into ~2 hour movie and do it any kind of justice. (Also, it's a Dezaki classic. I'm not sure there's a director you could attach to this project that could outdo him, even if they had as many episodes to work with as they wanted.)

If you find the pacing too slow, I would switch to the manga rather than the movie.
Sep 27, 2022 8:22 PM

Nov 2012
Good news.

Rose of Versailles never had a remake prior, so why not? and because, this movie will probably be a faithful adaptation to the original source material, the Manga, as opposed to the Anime TV series which did its own thing. so in a way, it's gonna be a new experience for me, as i'm only familiar with the TV series.

I'm looking forward to it.
Jan 25, 2023 10:17 PM

Apr 2014
keeping my expectations low but will watch regardless lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» Studio MAPPA

KatoWorks - Feb 17, 2023

4 by KatoWorks »»
Aug 14, 2023 8:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.