Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 11, 2008 2:08 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another fox. :D

I liked the episode, I'm sure we'll get to see lots of interesting episodes.

I like Kuugen's attitude towards things, that's the most interesting thing about this anime right now.

cyruzApr 11, 2008 2:11 PM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 11, 2008 2:19 PM

Feb 2008
has this been subbed then? or were you watching the raws?
Apr 11, 2008 2:23 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
It's been subbed, joint project by Kiss-Sub and Ayako.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 11, 2008 3:14 PM

Jan 2007
What a fun show. Kuugen is an awesome character. Reminds me of Horo. And that last bit with Kou was hilarious.
Apr 11, 2008 3:23 PM

Dec 2007
It was a lot better than I expected. The writing got a bit worse, or rather, became plain bad, at the end (right before the train scene, anyway), but overall it was pretty good. I liked the soundtrack a lot too. It'll be worth following.
世界は美しくなんかない。 そしてそれ故に、美しい
Apr 11, 2008 4:04 PM

Jun 2007
I liked it a lot. ^^
Kuugen is an interesting character and the whole gender thing seems fun to expect.
I have the feeling that it will just get better and better...
Apr 11, 2008 4:10 PM

Nov 2007
Looks like a good show. I'm expecting some nice stuff from this.
Also it was a good opening episode
Apr 11, 2008 5:12 PM

Jun 2007
Some pretty good things but still pretty average in my opinion this far.
Only the last scene in the train looked quite funny and promising for this show.
Apr 11, 2008 5:38 PM
Jun 2007
It was better than I expected ~ ! 5/5 on the spot.
Apr 11, 2008 6:15 PM

Dec 2007
Wow cyruz, you managed to take the exact pic that I was going to =p

Yeah, I agree with you and Faust, she is similar to Horo in that she seems to have an attitude that defines her ^^ I can't say we got to see a lot about the characters, but then again, this IS the first episode, so I'm sure there'll be time for us to get to know them better. Even though, I liked Kuu-chan a lot already, so this is a promising anime. Looking forward to episode two.

Also, kemonomimi miko = 110% win =D She looks great in a cap too, from what the preview showed.

Kemonomimi Shoujo, a site dedicated to beautiful nekomimis, inumimis, kitsunemimis, usagimimis and more! Check out the club, too!
Apr 11, 2008 6:21 PM

Nov 2007
Sakinho said:
Also, kemonomimi miko = 110% win =D

That's all that need be said, really.

Tenko-sama does seem to be a great character. I can't wait to see the male side. =p
Apr 11, 2008 6:30 PM

Nov 2006
Wow, I loved this. Can't believe it's rated so low on MAL after only one episode. :/

[20:27] <windy> i wonder if it becomes kuu-kun when it decides to be a male

I know -chan is unisex, but it would be cute.
Looking forward to the next ep for sure!
Apr 11, 2008 6:52 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
average start, but at least not that bad.

Has the potential to fail though.

bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 11, 2008 7:13 PM

Oct 2007
First Kanokon and now this series? Too many foxes. Which isn't exactly a bad thing. ;3

In any case a good opening episode.
Apr 11, 2008 7:36 PM

Aug 2007
A good opening episode. Shows potential. :3 Need more foxes with this and Kanokon?

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Apr 11, 2008 7:54 PM

Oct 2007
It was good, but I wasn't overly fond of it.

Still, good start I suppose.

Apr 11, 2008 8:25 PM

Jan 2008
I thought that it was a good episode and I look forward to the next.
Apr 11, 2008 8:55 PM

Oct 2007
WinterNightsFall said:
A good opening episode. Shows potential. :3 Need more foxes with this and Kanokon?

Yes please. Though I've seen common ones. Like the obvious Naruto. DX
Apr 11, 2008 10:17 PM

Sep 2007
I don't like the brothers especially the little brother, the big brother grates my nerve too.

I like the whole gender-neutral idea although I would prefer Kuugen to be female most of the time. >.>
Apr 11, 2008 10:53 PM

Apr 2007
Average ep, but i liked it overall. I sure hope it gets better than this, i don't want it to be another one i'll end up putting on hold to be finished god knows when.

I was expecting female Kuugen to be really cutesy, so her personality was a bit of a surprise, but it isn't exactly bad... But not entirely unique enough.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2008 12:03 AM

Jun 2007
The story sounds a bit....overused but the concept of a fox that can change between sexes is pretty interesting. Its enough to keep me watching that's for sure. I expect to see some comedy happen because of the whole sex change ability later on.
Apr 12, 2008 12:16 AM

Mar 2008
another fox. This one is going alrite, have to watch a few more to be sure

Apr 12, 2008 12:39 AM

Nov 2007
windy said:
Wow, I loved this. Can't believe it's rated so low on MAL after only one episode. :/

i cant believe it got rated after one episode. that is like sniffing a new food and deciding it will taste bad before you even try it.

Apr 12, 2008 12:47 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
crazy_eights said:
windy said:

i cant believe it got rated after one episode. that is like sniffing a new food and deciding it will taste bad before you even try it.

Why not? You can adjust your rating later if you feel like it. Your sentence would only make sense if someone gave it a bad rating and wouldn't watch any other episodes.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 12, 2008 1:00 AM

Nov 2007
cyruz said:
Why not? You can adjust your rating later if you feel like it. Your sentence would only make sense if someone gave it a bad rating and wouldn't watch any other episodes.

Which a strange amount of people do, actually. I can't fathom how people can judge a series purely by the first episode, so many series start poorly. General rule of thumb is at least 3 episodes before making any solid judgements. Though I personally don't rate until a series is over. (save for blog with tentative/ongoing scores.)
Apr 12, 2008 1:46 AM

Feb 2008
pritty decent first ep, not that good, but not bad either. since its the first ep you cant really tell where its going so i guess ill watch a few more eps, prefer kanoken atm though :)
Apr 12, 2008 3:07 AM
Dec 2007
Good first episode with a promising set of characters. I'll watch some more episodes for sure, even if it isn't too original !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 12, 2008 4:12 AM

Oct 2007
Aside from Yukana's excellent voice acting everything about the first episode was just average. I'm still watching though since the source material is award winning and maybe the novels start off slow and it gets a lot better later on. Considering this won the same Gold Prize as Baccano! and Spice and Wolf only got a Silver Prize I have some high expectations for this.
Apr 12, 2008 4:15 AM

Dec 2007
cyruz said:
crazy_eights said:
windy said:

I was discussing this with Asandari and windy. Yeah, I don't think anything is wrong with rating a single episode (it's what we do in these discussion topics all the time, right?) The problem is that the anime score is supposed to be an overall, not an episodic score. If someone is unaware that the score was based only on one or two episodes, which is a almost too small of a sample in even an anime with 13 episodes, then they might mistake the score as being meaningful when it actually has a good chance of being temporarily under or overrated. Asako is correct when she suggests at least three episodes before judging a series, and scoring should only be made at the very least when a more considerable fraction of the anime has been seen, around some 10 episodes maybe (what I do generally, although the score can certainly change), unless some other factors are taken into consideration.

Kemonomimi Shoujo, a site dedicated to beautiful nekomimis, inumimis, kitsunemimis, usagimimis and more! Check out the club, too!
Apr 12, 2008 4:21 AM

Nov 2007
Sakinho said:
Asako is correct when she suggests at least three episodes before judging a series, and scoring should only be made at the very least when a more considerable fraction of the anime has been seen, around some 10 episodes maybe (what I do generally, although the score can certainly change), unless some other factors are taken into consideration.

You simply shouldn't be able to rate a series until you've seen 25% of it (or X amount for huge ongoing stuff ala OP, Bleach, Naruto) at the very least. Because there are people who actually judge by the 'score' and 'rank' etc on these sites, and there are unfortunately a lot of people who see a single episode and dislike it and rate it really low, which impacts the series' overall 'image' for people who care what others think.
Apr 12, 2008 4:29 AM

Nov 2007
AniDB has "temporary ratings" (for those who still haven't finished the series) and "final ratings" (for those who have finished the show). I think it would be a good idea to do the same here.

Anyway, as for the episode, I thought it was pretty average. The soundtrack is great, but the animation is way too unequal : it's like the animators thought : "Okay, let's just finish this boring blahblah part and concentrate on Kuugen". Yes, the fight scene, though blend and uninspired, at least looked beautiful. But the first part of the episode looked like it was animated in half a day...

As for the characters, for now, I like Kuugen, especially because of Yukana's magnificent voice acting. I also like how she acts, it's like watching at Haruhi among silent Yuki too busy being mysterious to show interest, Kyon too busy being bored and cynical to show interest and Mikuru too busy squealing like a pig to show interest. Because, yes, aside from Kuugen, I hated all the other characters . I especially HATE these two siblings. They look plain, they talk plain, they feel plain, they are plain. Weren't they on screen, worse, were their designs replaced by empty boxes, I wouldn't have noticed.

For now, the only think that'll make me watch the second episode is Kuugen herself. I seriously doubt that it will be enough to make up for the siblings, but still, I'll watch at least the second and probably third episode. If I feel that I'm too bored, even at Kuugen's presence, I'll drop this show.
They are neither plants nor animals.
They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as Mushi. Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them.
Apr 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lol, I don't think something like a temporary rating is needed. If you care enough, you'll see that the show is still airing and therefore you should know that not the complete show is judged. Sounds illogical to me.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 12, 2008 5:38 AM

Apr 2007
:O . Stacic-subs were doing this?

Hell yeah.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2008 5:57 AM

Oct 2007
I personally go by after I see a dvds worth of episodes (3-5) i start to rate stuff tentatively and update that score as I go along. Unless the quality is really apparent like the first to episodes of Frontier.
Apr 12, 2008 6:03 AM

Aug 2007
Eh it was alright. I personally didn't like Kuugen at all.
Apr 12, 2008 9:58 AM

Oct 2007
Plain episode. Nothing special and rather boring in the 1st half. But it was better in the 2nd half. Good anticipation on this series and I hope it would go better. Don't really like the OP but ED was awesome. I love the song. Somehow Kuu-chan reminds me of Horo... best fox series in this season, Kanakon is lame as ass... -.-
Apr 12, 2008 10:03 AM

Sep 2007
Yeah I thought it was a bit boring in the first half but the second half got better. I kind of like Kuugen's personality and I also can't wait until she switches to being male - I'd love to see how that goes =P ED was pretty nice. Doesn't sound like a 17-year-old sang it but then again, I don't know what 17-year-olds are 'supposed' to sound like x]

I'm also hoping to find out what the show's title means - or really just what it translates to.
Apr 12, 2008 10:20 AM

Oct 2007
h0riz0nLine said:
Don't really like the OP but ED was awesome.

We didn't get an OP this episode.
Apr 12, 2008 1:31 PM

Sep 2007
Yay :D that was pretty nice, one of the better series this season

Looking forward to more!

Apr 12, 2008 2:23 PM

Mar 2008
Pretty cool episode.

I liked it. Nothing superb but pretty intersting. Looking forward to more.

But seriously, is it the fox/wolf year? ^^

W&S, Kanokon, this ...

Well, I don't really mind.

Next comment please.
Apr 12, 2008 6:18 PM

Feb 2007
Of the two animes with foxes, this one is much much superior.

it was interesting. *nods*
Apr 12, 2008 9:30 PM

Jan 2008
I like the fact that we got some wafu spiritualism in the mix. This season needed some gods, demon spirits, shrine maidens, tatami mats and thatched roofs to balance it out.
Apr 13, 2008 12:27 AM
Jan 2008
More impressive than expected. I think it'll beat Okami to Koshinryo. Liked Kuugen, and Kou was so moe ^^
5/5
seasawApr 13, 2008 3:30 AM
Apr 13, 2008 3:08 AM

Aug 2007
It was boring,yeah two new anime with fox girls.

Apr 13, 2008 11:43 AM

Aug 2007
Interesting... Yay for more foxes! Cant wait to see the male side =P
Love Psychological? Join
Pyschological Love =D

Apr 13, 2008 7:23 PM

Apr 2007
Well this is waaay better than the other fox show and Kuugen's a cool character.
Apr 14, 2008 4:41 PM

Dec 2007
Wasn't really impressed by the first episode. The generic fight scene was what really killed it for me. Going to check out a few more episodes before I decide to drop it or not.
Apr 15, 2008 12:27 PM

Dec 2007
Asako said:
cyruz said:

Which a strange amount of people do, actually. I can't fathom how people can judge a series purely by the first episode, so many series start poorly. General rule of thumb is at least 3 episodes before making any solid judgements. Though I personally don't rate until a series is over. (save for blog with tentative/ongoing scores.)

I rate about five episodes in, and then raise or lower it after completing it, usually.

Anyway, this episode was a very good start. First series I've watched (not counting CG, since I knew I was going to watch that) of the Spring Season I'm eager to see the second episode of. I like that Kuu-chan didn't turn out to be the typical cutesy-type character. I wonder what the male version will be like?

Loving the wolf/fox thing they got going lately, too. Seriously...the more of this the better. ^^
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Apr 16, 2008 3:50 AM

Oct 2007
This was a decent episode, reminds me of Inuyasha a bit. I'm gonna continue the series! BTW, I actually like Kanokon better, though they shouldn';t be compared just because of the whole fox-human thingy!
Apr 18, 2008 6:24 PM

Jul 2007
I wasn't thrilled with this episode. The setting is neat, I like Kuugen, and Kou has lovely hair; everything else is merely acceptable. I'll give this at least a few more episodes, though.

And the whole element-beating-another-element thing made me think of Pokemon...

oh, these little earthquakes
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wagaya no Oinari-sama. Episode 18 Discussion

cyruz - Sep 11, 2008

16 by Sugram22 »»
Feb 2, 2021 11:15 AM

Poll: » Wagaya no Oinari-sama. Episode 24 Discussion

Asako - Oct 19, 2008

32 by Rayl1ght »»
Sep 7, 2019 12:36 AM

Poll: » Wagaya no Oinari-sama. Episode 23 Discussion

Faust721 - Sep 30, 2008

22 by Rayl1ght »»
Sep 6, 2019 11:14 PM

Poll: » Wagaya no Oinari-sama. Episode 22 Discussion

Faust721 - Sep 29, 2008

18 by Rayl1ght »»
Sep 6, 2019 6:41 AM

Poll: » Wagaya no Oinari-sama. Episode 21 Discussion

kisami - Sep 27, 2008

16 by Rayl1ght »»
Sep 5, 2019 8:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.