Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 26, 2022 3:58 PM
Apr 2020
I really like made in abyss and I think the story wouldnt be as immersive if it had a older cast. But Im just wondering, is there a reason why this anime is about children. (Dont worry Im not hating the thing, I like that it tries something new) just curious.
Aug 26, 2022 4:03 PM
Jun 2021
MisakiTari said:
I really like made in abyss and I think the story wouldnt be as immersive if it had a older cast. But Im just wondering, is there a reason why this anime is about children. (Dont worry Im not hating the thing, I like that it tries something new) just curious.

The author has some very disturbing fetiches. That’s why. And he is surprisingly open about them, which is even more weird.
Aug 26, 2022 4:08 PM

Sep 2017
It was mostly a result of the author's creative decision.

There are certain things he could portray and certain routes he can take by using children as the main cast. For example: The dread and consequences of the abyss can be more horrifyingly portrayed when we see children being on the receiving end of them.
RayRaivernAug 26, 2022 4:11 PM
Aug 26, 2022 4:08 PM

May 2021
cuz old people do Not exist.
Peter Pan banned Them Out of The universe
Aug 26, 2022 4:18 PM
Mar 2021
the author is certainly a… weird person to say the least.
Aug 26, 2022 4:30 PM
Nov 2021
If Riko was older yo would expect her to have more life experience and she would have to act very different or her actions would feel weird.

If Reg looked/seemed older he and Riko(young) wouldn't work together in the same way as it is now: the weird scenes(the nude ones) wouldn't be there or would be worse. I think an age difference can work but I don't see it there.

Nanachi is estimated to be around 22

Prushka and the other of Bondrewds orphans have too be young enough to not be rebelling teenagers(cartridges?/blessing!)
The rest of the bunch of children is just to connect to the party better

I also see it just being Tsukushis preference for this manga, but I don't see the story working just as good/it is with an older cast

I just wanted to see if I could come up with a reason
Aug 26, 2022 4:39 PM

Jul 2016
Given the dark nature of the story, having children on the receiving end of things might cause more impact in the readers/viewers + author is a weirdo who is into kids.
Aug 26, 2022 5:21 PM
Feb 2021
Children are vulnerable, so seeing them in danger can make it more disturbing I guess. This anime is often misinterpreted to be a cutesy anime and has caught plenty people off guard, so I think that has bound to be one of the reasons.
Aug 26, 2022 6:03 PM

Jul 2015
Children are associated with innocence and story is very dark.
This innocence being stripped away by the cruelty of that world is what makes this story so damn effective and makes us sympathise with characters even more.

Aug 26, 2022 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
SparCy said:
MisakiTari said:

The author has some very disturbing fetiches. That’s why. And he is surprisingly open about them, which is even more weird.

nah I think it's just you
Aug 26, 2022 11:45 PM
Mar 2021
It wouldn’t be the same story whatsoever really
Aug 27, 2022 1:08 AM
Jun 2021
Anilegos said:
SparCy said:

I’m not saying the show is bad. It’s better because they are children, but the author is a known pedo and has posted some very questionable things on his twitter.
Aug 27, 2022 5:33 AM
Apr 2021
MisakiTari said:

I can't help but feel this means something but
he wants to have kids be the main cast
Aug 27, 2022 10:26 AM
Jul 2022
I think the characters are children to make the story seem even more tragic.
Aug 27, 2022 10:44 AM

May 2021
Children are generally more curious about stuff as compared to adults plus they have a larger learning capacity meaning they can learn languages faster.

Aug 27, 2022 11:42 AM
Sep 2021
SparCy said:
Anilegos said:

I’m not saying the show is bad. It’s better because they are children, but the author is a known pedo and has posted some very questionable things on his twitter.

This is what I've heard as well...about the author. So it's true huh.
Aug 27, 2022 12:34 PM
Jun 2021
FuyuBara said:
SparCy said:

This is what I've heard as well...about the author. So it's true huh.
yup. With most cases like this you can separate the aithor from the work like with rurouni kenshin or act age, but with made in abyss it is clear his own twisted fantasies have influenced his work immensely, so it is hard to separate them. But oh well it’s still a good show regardless, and it’s not like he has acted in any of his fantasies and done any thing illegal that we know about, yet.
Aug 27, 2022 12:50 PM
Apr 2020
For shock value and obvious fetishes. The unreasonable punishments these kids get are enough of an explanation. The author is a creep
Aug 28, 2022 5:30 PM
Apr 2019
SparCy said:
MisakiTari said:

Japanese people ☕️
Aug 29, 2022 5:56 AM
May 2020
MisakiTari said:

the story itself is about terror and hope, children, in their pure innocent are the best representation of hope. It doesn't matter how hard or dangerous the adventure may be, Riko always keep her head up and hopeful. If it was an older cast it the theme wouldn't be as strong, we can even see that in the older characters, they are usually limited by the abyss or themselves, and can't go on. Bondrewd is limited by his desire for evolution, and passes on his desire to see the deep of the abyss to Nanachi, Ozen can't go on, because the abyss took literally all her life, there's nothing there for her anymore. In the manga, in the village of the 6th layer, no one can go on because of the sins they committed towards Faputa's mom. But the children, they are always free from those mistakes, they are "pure" in a sense, and because of that, they can go on to the deep of the abyss. That's why an older cast wouldn't really be good.
Sep 6, 2022 12:30 PM

Oct 2019
because:

1. its more heart breaking and disturbing to see bad stuff happen to kids

2. a huge theme in made in abyss is about the sense of adventure and wonder, which is a lot more present in kids

3. only kids would be dumb enough to go though without a bigger reason

4. the author prefers drawing kids since if I'm not mistaken he is a lolicon/shotacon
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 21, 2023 11:09 AM
May 2023
Well because, the author didn't thought of it earlier. For example as per the age of Riko and sometimes how stupidly she act, she would have been dead right now, but plot armor saving her. Also many if their actions doesn't make sense as they are just kids. I know with children author can make it more dark but come on, one shouldn't forget logic too. Many of their actions would have made more sense if Riko was like 16 or 18.
Nov 23, 2023 1:49 AM

Jun 2016
I don't think any adult would be sane enough to go deep into the abyss, like If I existed in that world I would stay the hell away from abyss as far as possible. Only kids are stupid enough to do something like that. Plus there is shock value in kids getting mauled to death or turn into meat blob, like we humans don't give a fuck when people die in movies but when there are kids or animals dying it make us very sad.

About the author, I am not gonna be twitter police here as people do questionable stuff all the time so I won't be questioning his decision until and unless he goes to jail and there are damning things involving real children, just because someone likes serial killer shows doesn't mean they are serial killers. There are weird things in MIA and I agree to that but not enough for me to call someone Pedo as it trivialise the word and that's kinda insulting to real victims in a way.
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Nov 23, 2023 1:58 AM

May 2018
Clearly children suffering is more enjoyable ---- Akihito Tsukushi
Still a goated show nonetheless
sup dumbo

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2017

180 by eWEQRW123123 »»
Apr 19, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

768 by asbest0sdust »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

234 by p1f1 »»
Apr 16, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Are the movies cannon…?

Skylar-whoo - Apr 15

21 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 15, 7:43 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2017

190 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 24, 7:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.