Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 1, 2015 2:09 AM

Jul 2013
I can't help but to feel utterly sad for Doc. Abandoned, used and betrayed. She was a great character.
Also Ichise admitting that Toyama is his best friend was unexpected from him. Wonder if Toyama killed his father in the end like he said he would.
Mar 3, 2015 11:22 AM
Jul 2014
I like this show and is certainly under-rated her on MAL! As well as some others too...
Jun 10, 2015 3:17 PM
Nov 2014
That part when Ichise apologized to his father was powerful ;_; and it looks like the doc suicided...

Really liking the direction this show is heading.
Aug 2, 2015 5:24 PM

Jan 2014
ownosourus said:
Many things are becoming clear now. 2 episodes to go.
Aug 13, 2015 4:48 PM
Jul 2015
wow, when they said this was depressing, they weren't lying
although the only depressing thing about it is that i sat through 20 episodes of this shit

2/5
Nov 1, 2015 6:56 PM

Apr 2014
During the last episode I was wondering why there was something familiar in the color and aspect of the surface world.. something that reminded me of some paintings.

And then I saw this :

Very nice reference to Hooper's famous painting "Morning sun" :

Hooper's paintings usualy reflect the idea of a "dead world" , where humans look like ghosts in empty space and theaters. It fit perfectly for this anime.

I suspect there is other painting reference in those two episodes but I couldn't see them.
Nov 2, 2015 11:06 AM

Feb 2013
Dullboy said:
During the last episode I was wondering why there was something familiar in the color and aspect of the surface world.. something that reminded me of some paintings.

And then I saw this :

Hooper's paintings usualy reflect the idea of a "dead world" , where humans look like ghosts in empty space and theaters. It fit perfectly for this anime.

I suspect there is other painting reference in those two episodes but I couldn't see them.

Check this out
Nov 7, 2015 9:21 PM

Jul 2013
RIP Doc, she was hoping Texhnolyzation could save the people aboveground but it ended in vain. What a painful episode
Dec 17, 2015 5:07 PM

Jan 2013
grayrebornnhy said:

The greatest scene in this episode would undoubtedly be Eriko's hinted suicide at the start. Her goal in life, to create a Texhnolyze masterpiece, only for it to be wrongly utilised by Kano, and to be ignored as unnecessary by the surface people. Plus, her very own masterpiece, with her own living cells in it, rejects her and never ever has a thought for her. What else can she do?

5/5

Damn ... wording it like that (even after just watching this episode) is depressing as hell ... :/
I do feel for the Doc though, she tried so hard ...
Aug 31, 2016 12:23 PM

May 2010
Ah the doc committed suicide... that was sad. Ichise left her, and she had all her hopes on him.
Sep 11, 2016 3:10 AM

Oct 2015
The surface world is even more bleak and depressing the the City. Definitely one of the best atmospheres I've experienced. Even if it were just for two episodes, I could so much fron it.
Feb 26, 2017 12:10 AM

Aug 2007
I was afraid for Doc. I had a feeling she would end up committing suicide, or in the very least staying behind in such a ghostly world. She shares a lot of similarities to Cher from Wolf's Rain.

Aug 6, 2017 12:57 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Man, It hit me hard in the kokoro when Doc killed herself and listening to her throught the radio.. :/
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 14, 2018 4:42 PM

Mar 2012
Wtf, didn't expect Doc to kill herself. She had grown on me :(
Jan 25, 2019 9:18 PM

May 2013
Tien said:

Ichise may be her greatest creation, but it doesn't mean anything if no one acknowledges it. That, along with the fact that her creation pretty much abandoned her, led to her demise since she had nothing left to live for.

I think she's probably also despairing because she's seen what the end of Texhnolyzation leads to - "evolved" humans are dead humans. Ichise was her perfect creation, but he was still human, and her end goal seemed to be the next evolution. But it's already been done and it was a diaster.

gedata said:
Dullboy said:

And then I saw this :

Check this out

Thank you both for the info!! Very interesting insights!
落下のように、いつも落ちる。いつか救われることができるのかな? または落ち続けるでしょうか?永遠に
May 27, 2019 10:11 AM

Jul 2016
Oh man... my heart broke so hard for Ichise, poor guy. Epic fight, great explanation from Doc and a heartbreaking scene between Ichise and that ghost. 5/5 episode.
Jun 10, 2019 7:53 PM
Jul 2018
Texhnolyze is really something. A lot to comb over. I'm shifting between an 8 or 9 for the series.
Aug 17, 2019 8:50 AM

May 2016
That was seriously intense, everything started to make meaning.
Apr 20, 2021 9:25 AM

Mar 2010
I need to see more Ran, Hope she is okay ._.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 27, 2021 1:14 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The scene with Toyama was great, RIP, also RIP to Doc who seems to have drowned herself to death in the bathroom (as we can see with the water under the door)...
The moment between Ichise and his ghost father for the final reconciliation was also great, we're getting more and more info for the world-building.
May 11, 2021 6:12 PM

Dec 2020
"I feel very fortunate that we can sincerely try to kill each other like this"

I never thought that i would find such words so moving. The society on the surface has withered into apathy to the point that the deadly battle between Ichise and Toyama felt refreshing in comparison, they were killing each other by at least they were alive people while doing it.

It's unclear what kind of phenomenon the "ghosts" really are, they seem to be able to physically interact with the world in some extent but at the same time they can be ethereal too.
Oct 7, 2021 8:44 PM

Jun 2010
The last 2 episodes have been really interesting with its themes!
Oct 8, 2021 9:12 PM
Jul 2018
Anybody else felt "cold" when watching 19 and 20? Like one of those days in the fall or spring when its sunny, somewhat windy, with a clear blue sky, but when you go outside its freezing, and don't see much people because of how cold it is.
Dec 22, 2021 2:44 PM

Mar 2016
Feel bad for Doc, seeing the technology she worked so hard on used for not the best purposes took her to a sad path, and there's the result. Still have to sort some pieces of the puzzle, I'm slow and kind of an idiot on series like this but I think I'm getting at least a half of the big picture
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Dec 30, 2021 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
Convent said:
This and there's still 2 more episodes left. This is looking to be something masterful

You ever have one of those days in the spring, March or April or so, a clear blue sky, some clouds, and the sun shining brightly. It looks like a really good day, except theres barely any people out and barely any cars coming and going on the road, and you wonder why. So you go outside expecting to enjoy the day, except the minute you go outside, it is so cold, probably below 5 degrees and close to 0.

Staying indoors and looking at the gorgeous day but noticing something really off was episode 19 - Heavenward
Going outside and actually experiencing how cold it is, is episode 20 - Hades.

Thats the best way I can describe what Episode 19 and 20 were like

Its how I felt when I first saw the 2 episodes.
Feb 2, 2022 11:26 PM

Dec 2018
the doctor might have been the only likeable character in the series oh well
May 15, 2022 2:19 AM

Dec 2021
one of the best episodes in the show. so haunting and also crazy just how devoid of life the world is. hits harder when you can translate that to a life of someone who works a boring office job. truly incredible
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Nov 1, 2022 6:19 PM

Dec 2019
The parallels to Edward Hoppers works are so damn great. It really encapsulates the surface and Doc's character, as it is a dead place, a dead world. It matches with Hopper's works, since they're are all about human existentialism, loneliness and isolation. And this is exactly the feeling I get from the surface. A false sense of happiness and hope, which is truthfully lonely and full of despair, hidden behind the color palletes of a warm sundown.
Jan 16, 2023 12:35 AM

Dec 2010
I didn't expect the Doc to kill herself, but I guess that she hasn't the strength to look for a new purpose. It's really sad, but the author isn't pulling any punches. I'm not sure why Ichise could see his father as a Ghost though, or how ghosts manage to be material at times.
Jun 11, 2023 6:54 PM

Feb 2016
apparently episodes 19 and 20 didn't air at the time and presumably were done after. they do feel to me like something that stand alone. not that it doesn't fit with the rest, quite on the contrary, but the upper world is it's own thing.

this is one of the most fascinatings parts of the show to me and simultaneously the hardest one to pin down. here's the thing: the above world is the place of the incomprehensible. humanity has evolved in a way that it's impossible for we, and the people who came from Lukuss, to grasp how they live, how they think or even what they are. there's no key to this mystery. Texhnolyze plays a fine game with these two episodes of giving us enough to make this world credible, but not so much as to unveil it's secrets - and that's what makes it, no matter how many times you watch it, so incredible to go through. it's a unnerving setting where humanity has reached the impossible, a perfect state of balance, a 'zero' of desire and conflict, and decided to sit around and wait for death. what we have in this city are ambiguous ghost figures that works as projections and run around, aimlessly going through their rotine. the city also seems to have a double meaning as a place of the dead, as people who are alive waiting for death are there, but also ghosts of the dead also dwells in this heaven (in Texhnolyze nothing really seems to be only work in a literal sense, both Lukuss and the upper world)

the appearance of Saginuma (the old man with the creepy ghost, not Sakimura) reminds me of two things: I) Yoshii once said something about people from Lukuss not being able to 'heal', while Saginuma affirms that the Theonormal (above ground people) can't suffer bodily harm. I wonder to what extent this is true: is it that they live longer? or that they just recover from wounds? it can't be that they're immortal, Yoshii was killed by a bullet shot, after all; II) that technology on Saginuma's legs brings us back to Yoshii's own body, remember that he said that his technological apparatus isn't Texhnolyze, with Saginuma also saying that they have no reason for Texhnolyze themselves, so his are also something else. perhaps it has to do with these ghosts they're able to project around... we wouldn't know, anyway

there's an insistence with the imagery of flowers on both episodes. it's very recurrent and seems to be connected with the ideas of life and evolution in this innert world. it always brings to my mind the scene in which Ichises touches a flower and kills it.  
llorandoJun 11, 2023 6:58 PM
Aug 16, 2023 7:31 PM
Jun 2023
im surprised that toyama wanted to die with a fight. everything about this character is disturbing. 
Sep 15, 2023 7:05 PM
Aug 2023
i really dislike the Theonormals. i hate pessimism, its revolting.
Oct 2, 2023 1:12 PM
Oct 2020
Wow...

I'm embarrassed I didn't catch on to the Edward Hopper inspiration for the Aboveground city until this episode. The emulation of Hopper's style really amplifies the feeling of emptiness, isolation, and desolation that is felt in the Aboveground despite it outwardly appearing to be an idyllic place.

I also adore the way that this show is exploring the stunted growth of humanity. The people Aboveground face no apparent danger, no apparent strife, and so it would seem their only purpose is to wait for death. Meanwhile, in Lux, constant violence, greed, and desperation drives the forces of progress. It's also shocking how Ichise struggled so much to survive in Lux, whereas Aboveground people don't struggle at all. I love that Ichise chooses to forsake the one place he could die a peaceful death in favour of Lux. Man, this show is just on another level entirely. I love it so much.
Jan 11, 6:04 PM
Aug 2021
This might be the best episode. When the old man & lady discuss ghosts and life with Ichise... "If sitting here day after day only reminiscing about the past can be called living".
Doc's suicide after realizing her perseverance in evolving Texnolyze has fallen to deaf ears , after it was her only copium for not being able to have kids...
DEVASTATING. The one single word that describes it.
5/5
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tounoyaboys - Jul 1, 2008

323 by AMfromtheWORLD »»
Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - May 6, 2009

174 by chow141 »»
Apr 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 14, 2009

66 by Sanak_ »»
Apr 4, 4:08 AM

» If you connected with any of these characters, why?

sheaswee - Feb 7

14 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 31, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Texhnolyze Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zepwich - Dec 9, 2009

63 by I_is_lost »»
Jan 11, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.