Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 19, 2022 2:02 PM

May 2020
I cant really see why else Steins;Gate would be so popular on this forum yet so unpopular in the normal world. Most people you talk to arent going to say Steins;Gate is one of their favs, yet on this site its in the top 5. Im starting to think its more about people wanting to make their taste in anime look better by saying they liked the complex time travel anime.

Its animation and character design are subpar, its first half is extremely poorly paced, and the show uses extremely generic character tropes.

A complex anime =/= automatic masterpiece.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 19, 2022 2:13 PM

Nov 2019
Steins gate is good but it is definitely very overrated.

It has been top 5~ on mal for a while now, there are MANY other animes which deserve top 5 way more than this.

I can see why people like it so much, but statements like "this is a masterpiece and nothing compares to it" are all delusional.
Aug 19, 2022 2:15 PM

Jan 2021
Anyone with some basic knowledge of the concepts of time travel and timelines can figure out what goes on in the show. It is not very hard to get.
That basically goes against your entire argument.
Aug 19, 2022 2:16 PM

May 2020
certifiedbinger said:
Anyone with some basic knowledge of the concepts of time travel and timelines can figure out what goes on in the show. It is not very hard to get.

except that there is no such thing as "basic knowledge " of the concept of time travel. as time travel is made up lol
Aug 19, 2022 2:19 PM

Jan 2021
CickNipolla said:
certifiedbinger said:

except that there is no such thing as "basic knowledge " of the concept of time travel. as time travel is made up lol

And did I say it was 'non fictional' or anything of the sort? Assuming that any 'concept' in its existence HAS to be non fictional is just dumb lmao.
Fictional concepts exist. Look up the word if you're having trouble.
Aug 19, 2022 2:20 PM
Jun 2020
CickNipolla said:
I cant really see why else Steins;Gate would be so popular on this forum yet so unpopular in the normal world. Most people you talk to arent going to say Steins;Gate is one of their favs, yet on this site its in the top 5. Im starting to think its more about people wanting to make their taste in anime look better by saying they liked the complex time travel anime.

Its animation and character design are subpar, its first half is extremely poorly paced, and the show uses extremely generic character tropes.

No way the person with Bunnygirl Senpai and Akame Ga Kill! Favorited is talking about Steins;Gate
Aug 19, 2022 2:25 PM
Feb 2021
Xokanashimi said:
CickNipolla said:

No way the person with Bunnygirl Senpai and Akame Ga Kill! Favorited is talking about Steins;Gate

Damn!!!!๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€
Aug 19, 2022 2:28 PM

Jul 2015
Its pacing and the characters are the main reason it's among my favourites in the first place. I don't think you know what qualifies as good pacing or you just want instant gratification. I can say with full confidence that the time travel working is not the primary reason most people like it. It's just a plot device.

It isn't the type of anime that is carried by animation or physical character design. It's about character conflicts. Tropes or not, their conflicts feel natural.

You clearly view shows through a different lens which is ok.

To answer your question, it's just a type of genre that isn't popular among general audiences. MAL users are anime fans.

Aug 19, 2022 2:28 PM
Oct 2020
maybe because it's really good not for look smart
Aug 19, 2022 2:37 PM

Mar 2019
in the real world no one gives 2 fucks about fruits basket, but here we are.

there is a huge disconnection between general anime fans and the ones who use mal ratings.

and if someone wants to look smart, they'd say they like eva or sel etc.

steins;gate would be considered too casual for them
#justise for koalas

Nov 2021
Why it sounds like you created this thread in response to this one? Anyway, how liking steins gate is connected to "look smart"? Because your comment doesn't explains it. The only thing you mentioned is "complex", while SG isn't even that much complex.
Have you ever heard about "Finnegans Wake by Joyce", or "Petersburg by Bely"?? Does liking these make someone look smart or cool?
itsrj20Aug 19, 2022 2:42 PM

(Desktop mode) โฌ‡๏ธ

Watching this season

My Anime list

Comment

Aug 2018
"subpar animation and character design"

Animation quality is well above average and the character design is iconic, especially Kurisu.

As for whether or not people pretend to like it to seem smart, well...that would be pretty dumb. Go for something like NGE or SEL if you want to do that.
Nov 2020
No ๐Ÿ˜… I’m dumb as hell and love stines hate
Aug 19, 2022 2:42 PM
Jan 2021
Xokanashimi said:
CickNipolla said:

Ong, this guy has to have the worst takes I’ve ever seen ๐Ÿ’€
Aug 19, 2022 2:42 PM

Oct 2013
I join what Argonant says. Steins;Gate's characters, especially the main 4 + Suzuha, the pacing and the chain of events and its handling makes it a great show. Not a single thing in Steins;Gate is done randomly, everything has a reason and a meaning. Over the course of the story, all those small details you might have thought inconsequential at first come together and carry the climactic moments into great heights. It's not a case of "look how smart I am", nor is the story pretentious. None of those details are really hidden from you; all that happens is that those who paid more attention and remembered the many bits of the 1st half will feel more rewarded by connecting all the dots once the last quarter of the show is in motion. The type of satisfaction of "that's what this thing meant in the grand scheme of things" or "what that character said back then actually had meaning throughout the journey".
Beyond that, Okabe's journey, the character interactions, the escalating stakes that all remain believable, the realization that everything is connected, the atmosphere of the show. All of these make up for a great experience that is so far removed from what you seem to consider smartness-bait.
Aug 19, 2022 2:44 PM
Jun 2021
While watching steins gate AND steins gate 0 i was often confused and had to pause and re-watch or google something. Even if its among my favourite animes, since i watched it only once i wouldnt be able to retell and explain everything about time travel in steins gate.
So even as a person who doesnt remember and know everything 100% correctly about this anime, i can tell it one of my favs. And its because how it made me feel. About the characters and their realistic and believeable dynamics. Development. Especially steins gate 0 where i really felt every emotion Okabe went thru. Its about friendship, love, and things we’re willing to do and sacrifice for our loved ones. Well i dont need to go on about how Steins gate made me feel but yeah, in conclusion, its much less about time travel and more about characters and their story for me. And time travels adds just what it needs to be gripping and exciting (plotwise). *chefs kiss*
Aug 19, 2022 2:47 PM
Jun 2021
CickNipolla said:

Look I'm really not a fan of the Time Travel genre. The concept itself doesn't really interest me that much as well. Steins Gate is solid 8 imo, since the second half was well paced and it had a good ending. I honestly struggled to stay awake in some episodes of the first half. So yes I don't believe it's a masterpiece and I somewhat agree with you.
Aug 19, 2022 2:48 PM
Sep 2019
No, you don’t have to smart you just have to pay attention to the first several episodes since it sets so much up there.
Aug 19, 2022 2:51 PM

Mar 2021
No, that's dumb, even 12 year olds can understand sg if they use their mind. If anything steins gate probably gets the most genuine praise out of most shows here. Because it's normie, no tryhard would ever add it to his favs to look cool.

Try for a better bait next time.
Aug 19, 2022 2:52 PM
Nov 2020
Speaking as a non-Steins; Gate simp, I think it's for a lot of reasons. First, because at the time it was released it was revolutionary as you could say the anime well was slowing down. Second, the story is actually built solid and by that I mean it prevents any question of plot holes or plot confusions to the story whilst still managing to subvert people's expectations. Third, taste is very much subjective for this anime as it does a lot of objectively good things but in turn the characters don't need to stray more to their archetypes. It's based on your taste on whether or not you could forgive that in comparison to goodness of the plot. That's the same to thing with the pacing. I'm personally satisfied with both of these factors as I am okay with them not being complex characters as long as they still manage to make me care for them and I really don't see the pacing to be that big of a deal in the first episodes (probably because I watch too much anime with slow starts to begin with). My main issue is when you know "plot twist" about a certain character having to be 'you know', yeah I was underwhelmed about that. I feel like more insane shit could have happened instead of just that. Then after that some characters have forced development it's irritating. The only reason I gave this show a 9 instead of an 8 is because the show gave us a very satisfying and conclusive happy ending, something I don't with a lot of show with this genre.

Now do people pick Steins; Gate because it's quirky, eh I think a handful of them are but I think most of them are just a mix of a loyal fanbase, new fans, and just great storytelling and intricately woven narrative. There's a reason why people sometimes used Steins; Gate to their analysis videos, often about how to create a first episode. Also if you want to rant about anime with very pretentious fanbases, there are way better anime to make fun of like NGE for example (not that I'm saying this show is garbage just saying you know that this anime is the target for pretentious people.

This one is a side tangent but what the fuck are you talking about with saying Steins; Gate is only popular in MAL. Steins; Gate is literally the poster child for how to write stories to some people of the anime community. You can see these people in Youtube, Twitter, etc.
Aug 19, 2022 2:54 PM

May 2020
BigMac7 said:
No, that's dumb, even 12 year olds can understand sg if they use their mind. If anything steins gate probably gets the most genuine praise out of most shows here. Because it's normie, no tryhard would ever add it to his favs to look cool.

a 12 year old cant solve multiplication but they damn sure can understand the plot of world lines guys
Aug 19, 2022 2:56 PM

May 2020
HonKingFly409 said:
in the real world no one gives 2 fucks about fruits basket, but here we are.

there is a huge disconnection between general anime fans and the ones who use mal ratings.

and if someone wants to look smart, they'd say they like eva or sel etc.

steins;gate would be considered too casual for them

evangelion is for sure a deep anime that has been able to transcend the anime community and branch out into non anime fans. steins;gate is pretty niche and i think it is because the story compromises plot quality to try and be more complex
Aug 19, 2022 2:57 PM
Nov 2020
CickNipolla said:
BigMac7 said:

a 12 year old cant solve multiplication but they damn sure can understand the plot of world lines guys

Pretty sure you're underestimating 12 year olds here. Either that or I'm overestimating the capabilities of tweens. Regardless, the commenter was using 12 years old as an exaggeration to his point.
Aug 19, 2022 2:59 PM

Mar 2021
I can say the the same thing about you: "Do people only hate psychological/mystery shows to look stupid?"
Aug 19, 2022 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
FLAME-FURY said:
Steins gate is good but it is definitely very overrated.

It has been top 5~ on mal for a while now, there are MANY other animes which deserve top 5 way more than this.

I can see why people like it so much, but statements like "this is a masterpiece and nothing compares to it" are all delusional.

steins gate is a masterpiece and not overrated, your fav anime is shit
Aug 19, 2022 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
steins gate is a masterpiece cry losers :)
Aug 19, 2022 3:03 PM
Oct 2021
lol no, i like ateins gate so much, not just to look smart, its just so goodd
May 2021
CickNipolla said:

Another shit take from DickCapolla. This guy is a plague to MAL

Apr 2022
CickNipolla said:
BigMac7 said:

I don’t think we live in the same world
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Aug 19, 2022 3:05 PM
Apr 2021
nah i'm fricking stupid but i gave Steins;Gate a 10. Because even if i can't understand completely the time travel in the show, i understand the characters, the relationship between them, thier development and everything else.
It's like Evangelion, i wouldn't know what to tell you if you asked me wtf is happened in The End Of Evangelion, but i liked it, because it made me feel emotional, because I felt like I was watching something more than something made without a logic and without any sense.
I don't know anything about the lore of Evangelion, but i like it and will always like it for what I've experienced
Aug 19, 2022 3:05 PM
Nov 2020
CickNipolla said:
Jay_Burson-510 said:

Pretty sure you're underestimating 12 year olds here. Either that or I'm overestimating the capabilities of tweens. Regardless, the commenter was using 12 years old as an exaggeration to his point.

you;d think they would try harder to make sense if they are going to try and disprove something, instead they look silly

Yeah but I didn't try disprove anything here. In hindsight I contradicted myself here but it doesn't really matter since this isn't the comment I used to answer the actual question. Though it made me look a bit stupid ngl.
Aug 19, 2022 3:08 PM

Mar 2021
CickNipolla said:
Jay_Burson-510 said:

you;d think they would try harder to make sense if they are going to try and disprove something, instead they look silly

Don't need to put too much effort in a thread like this. If the OP really intends to find for an answer, serious or silly toned answers don't matter as long as the point gets through.
BigMac7Aug 19, 2022 4:18 PM
Aug 19, 2022 3:12 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Animation and design are subpar, generic character troupes
> Said from the one who have Toradora on their fav list.
Aug 19, 2022 3:13 PM

Dec 2021
yes, I say I like Steins:Gate to look smart. is that a problem?

hell! no-one literally no-one among my friends have watched or care about it so to whom should I brag about? to my Physics professor?

if a person thinks that watching/liking a certain types of TV shows can make them smart then they are either delusional or still a kid who fantasies about being an mc.
Aug 19, 2022 3:19 PM

Sep 2020
Is the show even complex? I was expecting a super hard to understand time travel show, but it’s just a close and personal story between a handful of characters. Not in my top 10 but it’s really touching.
Aug 19, 2022 3:20 PM

May 2020
didnt expect to get so many friend requests from this haha based take i guess
Aug 19, 2022 3:53 PM

May 2021
You might wanna post this in the NGE forums. Steins;Gate is really not hard to understand, on top of your technical criticisms being incorrect.

CickNipolla said:

You're speaking from experience, huh?

CickNipolla said:
didnt expect to get so many friend requests from this haha based take i guess

Ah, so that's what you wanted.

Aug 19, 2022 3:54 PM
Jan 2021
Like I said in the last post about it being overrated (which it’s not), it’s the emotional connection. It’s not insanely complex, that’s why fans are confused when people say it is. Okabe feels real and I relate to many of his experiences and emotions (not the time travel part of course).

Btw, anybody that flaunts their “IQ” over enjoying an anime is the loser part of every fandom, Steins;Gate isn’t the only one.

Btw, I feel the same way when people think LiW and FMAB are the best anime ever made. While they fight for #1 there are better anime out there.

Aside from your technical ideals of the show, I can understand your points. I feel the exact way about Perfect Blue, the most overrated animated movie to ever exist.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Aug 19, 2022 4:01 PM
Jul 2022
Jontayy said:
No ๐Ÿ˜… I’m dumb as hell and love stines hate

I'm with u there brother
Aug 19, 2022 4:02 PM
May 2022
Well, first off steins Gate is my favorite anime however I wouldn't say it's unpopular in the normal world. It's just like not mentioned a lot cause it didn't really release a lot of stuff. It is overrated yes and I see that how it's ranked #4 but everyone needs to keep in mind that the mal rankings are based on the ratings of all anime of all time. not recent or sum. it's just a big success overall.

Some people don't like Steins Gate cause of slow beginning which is understandable but some people don't like it cause of how complex it is which tells you they didn't understand it which makes them hate it.

But that's just my pov.
Aug 19, 2022 4:08 PM

Jul 2021
Rather unusually, Steins;Gate is actually a pretty good popular show.
It's kind of cringe though.
And while calling someone smart for liking it is certainly a stretch, at least it actually has a plot that needs paying attention to.
Aug 19, 2022 4:09 PM
Jul 2019
No, they would hate it if they wanted to look smart like any average elitist.

Aug 19, 2022 4:10 PM
May 2021
This show is fucking awesome. You don’t need to be smart to understand
Aug 19, 2022 4:11 PM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
Imagine not thinking that they like Steins Gate simply because they enjoy it.

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Aug 19, 2022 4:19 PM

May 2022
i am amazed how steins gate manages to stay on the top and still hold to its silent ground. dont wanna sound elitist (yet i will), but i believe this community is more mature of some sort and less toxic, not to brag about them liking the show. we just silently enjoy the genius of the creator, get in some small groups to pass out the knowledge and discuss it.
steins gate really is not popular on the internet, which is very strange, combining it with having that high score (take fmab for an instance, everyone, fucking everyone knows about it and its toxic community). tbf i am kinda prous of that.
about people wanting to look smarter, having more complex tastes - bullshit. well, not my case definitely. steins gate really is not that complex, when you get to the bottom of things and it is getting more of a romcom shounen vibe, but kinda mature and scientific one, which makes it way more interesting for a sci-fi lover.
Aug 19, 2022 4:23 PM

May 2022
XalekMe said:
i am amazed how steins gate manages to stay on the top and still hold to its silent ground. dont wanna sound elitist (yet i will), but i believe this community is more mature of some sort and less toxic, not to brag about them liking the show. we just silently enjoy the genius of the creator, get in some small groups to pass out the knowledge and discuss it.
steins gate really is not popular on the internet, which is very strange, combining it with having that high score (take fmab for an instance, everyone, fucking everyone knows about it and its toxic community). tbf i am kinda prous of that.
about people wanting to look smarter, having more complex tastes - bullshit. well, not my case definitely. steins gate really is not that complex, when you get to the bottom of things and it is getting more of a romcom shounen vibe, but kinda mature and scientific one, which makes it way more interesting for a sci-fi lover.

not even gonna lie, the only good characters out there are two mcs, no more, no less, you are correct. and the first half of the show is truly poor-paced, but it has its charm. it kinda makes you feel like you are watching some stupid chinnubyo cringe comedy with generic characters, but you feel the build up, and at the right time it does clear 180.
im not even talking about graphics quality, bruh, if you are mentioning that, go rewatch ds or something else, ita just stupid to bring that up.
but it is true that steins gate is only plot-based psychological drama anime, not character-based. but the plot carries for its misgivings
XalekMeAug 19, 2022 4:27 PM
Aug 19, 2022 4:25 PM

Oct 2015
Dear OP, people like Steins;Gate because they enjoyed the anime~

By the way, Steins;Gate has the most toxic anime fanbase. Good luck with their personal attacks~
Aug 19, 2022 4:37 PM
Apr 2022
I would have placed Steins gate as my #2 of all time before I even knew this site existed, but everybody is entitled to their opinion. I really love the emotional journey. First anime that made me cry.
Aug 19, 2022 4:39 PM
Feb 2021
It’s not hard to understand. People like it for the drama and emotion it puts out. If you didn’t get the same thing from it that others did, oh well
Aug 19, 2022 4:42 PM
Jun 2021
Xokanashimi said:
CickNipolla said:

ngl i think this proves HIS point exactly ๐Ÿ’€
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

804 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Apr 18, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

309 by DmtTrean »»
Apr 9, 12:33 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.