Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2022 12:11 PM

Mar 2018
are there any animals that you think the idea of having as a pet is cool, but the practicality of it is basically none? i always thought that having a huge centipede as a pet would be pretty rad, but in reality i know im too scared to touch a centipede and also i would probably be kinda creeped out by it... but it would be cool to watch from a distance i guess. and also it doesnt really offer much in terms of companionship.

i dont think i would mind a bird, but ive had friends with birds and man birds are so loud so maybe i couldnt do a bird...

i think i can do cats, dogs, fish... my dad used to be a beekeeper actually but i wouldnt consider bees as pets but i think having bees is pretty cool. but i hate giant swarms of insects so i would make a poor beekeeper lol. ive always wanted a ferret or a rabbit tbh but im always told they are stinky so i dunno!
Aug 16, 2022 12:15 PM

Jul 2021
Anything that is not a dog or a cat...
Aug 16, 2022 12:17 PM

Feb 2020
I always wanted stick insects, but I heard that Females constantly lay eggs, and I didn't like the idea of throwing the eggs out or feeding them to fish (which I don't have anyway)
Aug 16, 2022 12:37 PM
Jan 2022
Fishes. I have always wanted an aquarium, but it is a pain in the ass to take care of the fish & the tank.
Aug 16, 2022 12:43 PM

Mar 2018
JaniSIr said:
Anything that is not a dog or a cat...

Hmmm... yeah i suppose so. im sure there are plenty of simple pets out there but those really are the canonical ones huh.

LeeviAJ said:
Fishes. I have always wanted an aquarium, but it is a pain in the ass to take care of the fish & the tank.

for real!! plus i think fish are super prone to getting sick and stuff. maybe i can do a crab or some sort of crustacean but id have to look into it.
Aug 16, 2022 1:19 PM

Jan 2020
I believe I am incapable of taking care of an animal... maybe if I'd get a boyfriend in the future who wouldn't mind helping me out with the pet occasionally I could, but otherwise I don't see it happening. I'm really scared of the animal getting sick... and maybe even dying because of it.
Aug 16, 2022 1:25 PM

May 2013
LeeviAJ said:

Fresh water fish are actually relatively easy to maintain with little effort. Like having a Dwarf Pleco to help keep the algae to a minimum and just make sure the fish are somewhat compatible.

I particularly liked taking care of Gourami. Not only do they come in a wide variety of vibrant colors, in my experience, they seem relatively chill and non violent.

Angel fish look great but they are notoriously mean and you don't want that for 2 primary reasons. Fish are very susceptible to stress which is why you need to acclimate the, to your aquarium's temperature as well as make sure the water you use is treated so it is free of chlorine and other chemicals. And well, you don't want your fish attacking the others.

Another fish I would recommend but it pretty much requires a giant tank and isolation would be the Oscar. They are super intelligent but grow very big but are incredible fish. A good friend of mine had one and it was awesome.

but enough tirades about fish. They do require some research to maintain but once the ecosystem is established they are pretty easy to care for since you don't need to train or entertain them like dogs or cats.

@TheBlockernator I am making this edit because I am going on my fish aspergery it seems. I do want to clarify: Fish die easily when they are not properly taken care of.

My father used to say that fish don't need a reason to die but that is untrue. There only is a slight barrier of entry to learning about fish but if you properly take care of them they just won't die suddenly.

The petting thing you are correct on. But the fish I mentioned the Oscar can be trained and there have been people who have been able to pet theirs. I still wouldn't recommend that due to potential contaminants you can have on your skin but it is possible.
_Nette_Aug 16, 2022 1:34 PM

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Aug 16, 2022 1:27 PM

Jun 2017
Fish, to me, are not worth it. They die so quickly and so easily and you can't pet them at all.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Aug 16, 2022 1:34 PM
Jan 2022
_Nette_ said:
LeeviAJ said:

Fresh water fish are actually relatively easy to maintain with little effort. Like having a Dwarf Pleco to help keep the algae to a minimum and just make sure the fish are somewhat compatible.

I particularly liked taking care of Gourami. Not only do they come in a wide variety of vibrant colors, in my experience, they seem relatively chill and non violent.

Angel fish look great but they are notoriously mean and you don't want that for 2 primary reasons. Fish are very susceptible to stress which is why you need to acclimate the, to your aquarium's temperature as well as make sure the water you use is treated so it is free of chlorine and other chemicals. And well, you don't want your fish attacking the others.

Another fish I would recommend but it pretty much requires a giant tank and isolation would be the Oscar. They are super intelligent but grow very big but are incredible fish. A good friend of mine had one and it was awesome.

but enough tirades about fish. They do require some research to maintain but once the ecosystem is established they are pretty easy to care for since you don't need to train or entertain them like dogs or cats.

Holy, thank you for this, you know your fishes! You definitely need to do a lot of research which doesn't make them the easiest pets in the world, but very cool ones indeed!
Aug 16, 2022 1:38 PM

May 2013
LeeviAJ said:
_Nette_ said:

Holy, thank you for this, you know your fishes! You definitely need to do a lot of research which doesn't make them the easiest pets in the world, but very cool ones indeed!

Fish are incredible pets to have so I am glad I have been able to atleast show how cool they can be. I know alot of people want Salt Water fish because their colors are more vibrant but they are significantly more difficult to take care of.

But the basics for fish are researching temperaments to make your aquarium has a safe ecosystem free of stress. Temperature acclimation, making sure the water itself is safe because most countries but alot of chemicals in the water that are harmful to fish etc etc. Also frequent water changes.

I could go on forever but if you are ever interested in fish in the future I recommend either forums dedicated to it or some youtube channels since they are more knowledgeable than I.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Aug 16, 2022 2:13 PM

Oct 2016
Ferrets. They smell and steal your stuff
Aug 16, 2022 4:28 PM
Aug 2022
Hamsters, they'll stay under your fridge for weeks.
Aug 16, 2022 4:32 PM

Jun 2011
Snakes are cool but you have to feed them dead mice which sounds gross.
Aug 16, 2022 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
Huskys sound and look cool but I’d never want to own one.
Aug 17, 2022 7:52 PM
Jul 2018
I'd say either a snake, a tiger or a fish.
Aug 18, 2022 1:06 AM

Mar 2021
I'd bet that having a rodent would be hard if you have other pets in the house. If it falls out of its home, then you can kiss little Hammy goodbye.

Aug 18, 2022 2:01 AM

Apr 2015
envermain said:
LeeviAJ said:

for real!! plus i think fish are super prone to getting sick and stuff. maybe i can do a crab or some sort of crustacean but id have to look into it.
Another user already talked about aquariums and taking care of fish, so I won't go on about it as deeply. But yeah if your fish get sick or are dying the reason is lies in the owner and there is some mistake in weekly care. But my pro tip is to double check everything and especially what pet shop workers say.

If anyone here is interested in aquariums you can hmu. I have 7 aquariums and years of experience with this, plus sources to help with the hobby. It's fun and rewarding!
Aug 18, 2022 3:44 AM

Feb 2020
MeanMrMusician said:
I'd bet that having a rodent would be hard if you have other pets in the house. If it falls out of its home, then you can kiss little Hammy goodbye.

Ahem...yes can confirm. At one time I had 3 Gerbils in a big wire cage and they used to dangle their long tails outside of it, and at the time we also had a Cat, so you can probably guess what happened 😅 I think one died from shock, but the other two were ok, they just had much smaller tails than before. They also chewed their way out of two cages and escaped, although my cat didn't get them, which surprised me. I was a young & dumb kid at the time.
Aug 18, 2022 4:08 AM

Dec 2018
Idk. Maybe a dinosaur. I reckon they’d be pretty hard to own.
Aug 18, 2022 4:12 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
An alligator or an ostrich..may be a panda or a penguin too

Aug 18, 2022 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
Ravens and corvids in general.
They are highly intelligent and very social. They don't deserve any of the bad reputation they got, but ofc I will never own some.
Although, if I ever will become a multi millionaire, you know I will build a huge aviary on my property to take in injured corvids.

Ravens be like:

removed-userAug 18, 2022 6:30 PM
Aug 18, 2022 6:29 PM

Jun 2022
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
They are highly intelligent and very social. They don't deserve any of the bad reputation they got, but ofc I will never own some.
Although, if I ever will become a mmulti illionaire, you know I will build a huge aviary on my property to take in injured corvids.
thats like the closest ive had to a pet was when i went 2 feed the crows every couple days for a bit. thast the thign with them unlike pets u dont have to "own" them u can just go feed them if u want.
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
Aug 18, 2022 6:33 PM
Jul 2018
rian9x said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Although, if I ever will become a mmulti illionaire, you know I will build a huge aviary on my property to take in injured corvids.
thats like the closest ive had to a pet was when i went 2 feed the crows every couple days for a bit. thast the thign with them unlike pets u dont have to "own" them u can just go feed them if u want.

I know. I also befriended three in a park, but having a nice aviary and making them tame is completely different.
Same for foxes... tho I never would own foxes either, if I hadn't big enclosures for them. Even if I were allowed to.

So I stick with my cats, which is completely fine too.
Aug 18, 2022 9:21 PM

Sep 2019
Pretty much any exotic animal, I'd love to be like Mike Tyson and sleep with tigers, but I'm broke and wouldn't want to be around it when it's hungry.
Aug 19, 2022 1:47 AM

Feb 2020
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Although, if I ever will become a multi millionaire, you know I will build a huge aviary on my property to take in injured corvids.

Ravens be like:

I swear that there's Ravens living in my town, although I'm not sure how or why? Haven't seen them recently, but I saw a bunch of them flying around one time, and they were much too big to be Carrion Crows, and didn't sound like them either. It's just weird if that's what they are, because I used to birdspot many years ago, and never saw one, and yet here I live among them lol.
Aug 19, 2022 1:49 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
an animal which needs more attention and care..

・you're my religion
Aug 19, 2022 2:12 PM

Sep 2017
My dad used to have this kind :

(demo plug, cuz I'm forever his fan)

Monitor lizards are cool, but my parents chose to have children instead at some point.

Bad idea if you ask me, I was a much worse pain in the ass ;)
Aug 19, 2022 2:23 PM

Sep 2021
Pig. They are big. There are small breeds, but they are still pretty big and it's gonna be a lot to deal with.
Aug 19, 2022 5:47 PM

Feb 2019
You know what pet looks very cool, grants you bragging rights among your friends and coworkers due to ownership, and is intelligent enough to know where to go potty... But training them is so much work that it just isn't worth it? You guessed it: humans.
Sep 30, 2022 6:39 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Cats. I think they are cute to watch, but would never want to own one myself (again).

Also, they spread toxoplasmosis.
Oct 2, 2022 7:38 AM
serendipity

Oct 2015
i used to b obsessed with koala bears bc they r so cute n the thought of having one as a pet but owning one in the uk wouldn't be ideal for either of us

✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
i'll be a
bad girl who's
always good to her
boy
✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
Oct 2, 2022 8:40 AM

Mar 2015
Deep sea isopods are the second best animals on the planet (after corgis) but they would suck to own because they wouldn't be able to survive as pets... :(
Oct 3, 2022 1:59 PM

Aug 2021
lizards and snakes from like financial perspective. i always wanted an iguana or just a gecon but considering how much money and time you have to put into making a terrarium and creating them comfortable living conditions especially if like me you are from a colder region... yeah. but beside that aspect they're pefect and cool af <3

pigeons on the roof
watching a wintry landscape
always seem hungry

Oct 3, 2022 2:12 PM

Mar 2008
Red pandas are cute and total troublemakers.

149597871 said:
Cats. I think they are cute to watch, but would never want to own one myself (again).

Also, they spread toxoplasmosis.

Like I mentioned to you before some time in past there is a way to kill toxoplasma now from some newer studies. I forgot the exact drug used but it’s one already on market for another use. So you dont have to worry about that.
Oct 3, 2022 3:06 PM

Jan 2017
Cats are far easier to take care of than dogs although my cat can literally open doors and with them being crepuscular they tend to get very active in the early morning and right at bed time but if you wake up early morning [like 5am-6am] it's not too bad.

After that all you need to do is feed them a few times a day and clear their litterbox and also clip their nails every two weeks or so and after that they can basically just be left to their own devices lol

Oct 3, 2022 3:55 PM

Aug 2022
Humans are pretty awful pets because they eat a lot, need to be entertained with stuff that costs money, spend most of their life undeveloped, need specially constructed things for waste and cleaning, too smart for their own good so they can leave anytime they want, want these things called "Human Rights" and you actually get put in prison if you "imprison them against their will".
Oct 3, 2022 3:59 PM

Jun 2017
I always thought raccoons were cute but their teeth and claws are razor sharp and they sometimes have rabies so it's a no-go.

Possums are pretty cool animals. They're impervious to snake venom, they eat pests like snails and they do a lot of cool things in general but they're probably horrible pets to own, due to just not being used to people or domesticated.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Oct 4, 2022 11:39 AM
Jul 2021
Foxes, Tigers/Ligers, Tarantulas or any such type of spiders, any type of Snakes and any and all pokemon/digimon.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Oct 4, 2022 12:34 PM

May 2013
Monkeys or gorillas because they will beat me up.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Oct 9, 2022 5:32 PM

Jun 2013
I used to own hamster. They are pretty good to keep and care for, but sadly they die within a few years :(
So I was looking for a new pet. One to engage with a little more and a longer lifespan. My boyfriend was ready to get me my dream pet squirrels or more chipmunks. We decided on dwarf rabbits in the end. They can life up to 10 years and learn tricks like dogs. Can be toilet trained and are overall very cute pets. But a lot of work and maintaining. I don't regret getting our 2 boys. They are little fluffy loafs and I am thankful for them. But yes pets in general are a lot of work, if you want to keep them as healthy as it is possible. We needed to make our flat bunny proof, cause they are free room buns.
Oct 10, 2022 3:40 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Penguin or a panda...
Koala but they eat poop

More topics from this board

Poll: » Important stuff about Iran...

Rinrinka - Apr 14

25 by MalchikRepaid »»
2 minutes ago

» What age range do you find the most physically attractive?

Ejrodiew - Apr 11

28 by Auron_ »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » representation or relatability ?

ame - Apr 14

34 by Scud »»
11 minutes ago

» What does your username mean?

DesuMaiden - 1 hour ago

9 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
17 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

641 by SynthwaveCrusade »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.