Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 9, 2022 6:04 AM

Apr 2012
What anime do you prefer, especially if you're having trouble getting a good selection of shoujo or josei? How tolerant are you of content that is overly male-targeted? And why do you think so many young girls are attracted to various waifu bait franchises despite the obvious adult otaku pandering?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 9, 2022 6:07 AM

Jul 2019
what study is this being used for lol
Aug 9, 2022 6:11 AM

Apr 2012
NextUniverse said:
what study is this being used for lol

For scientific purposes. But seriously, I'm just interested in seeing the dynamics of people in the community, especially when it's completely different from the original intentions of the Japanese market for a particular brand.
Aug 9, 2022 6:18 AM

Sep 2010
Because anime is anime. You wouldn't like anime if you didn't already like big anime tiddies and cringe tropes. It's like saying as a girl you like football or programming, do you think the majority of girls like different football teams or programming languages as guys? No the majority just ends up liking or using the same stuff that guys do.
Aug 9, 2022 6:22 AM

Apr 2012
ateks said:
Because anime is anime. You wouldn't like anime if you didn't already like big anime tiddies and cringe tropes. It's like saying as a girl you like football or programming, do you think the majority of girls like different football teams or programming languages as guys? No the majority just ends up liking or using the same stuff that guys do.

I'm not sure if shows like Wotakoi or Hamefura are watched primarily for boobs and cute girls. Although I'm not sure about the twitter part.
Aug 9, 2022 6:29 AM
Nov 2021
RobertBobert said:
What anime do you prefer?

psychological, thriller, some absurd slice of life, shit that just looks cool and weird

RobertBobert said:
How tolerant are you of content that is overly male-targeted?

not my thing at all lol

RobertBobert said:
And why do you think so many young girls are attracted to various waifu bait franchises despite the obvious adult otaku pandering?

A lot of girls like cute things, and 'waifu bait' usually follows a typical 'cutesy' formula that grabs the attention of adults and young girls that just like cute things
Aug 9, 2022 6:32 AM

Apr 2012
gactoma said:
RobertBobert said:
What anime do you prefer?

psychological, thriller, some absurd slice of life, shit that just looks cool and weird

RobertBobert said:

not my thing at all lol

RobertBobert said:
And why do you think so many young girls are attracted to various waifu bait franchises despite the obvious adult otaku pandering?

A lot of girls like cute things, and 'waifu bait' usually follows a typical 'cutesy' formula that grabs the attention of adults and young girls that just like cute things

So you think they get into it because of the common "girly" tropes? However, as if the censored version of K-ON! did not air on Disney Japan...
Aug 9, 2022 6:32 AM

Sep 2010
RobertBobert said:
ateks said:

I'm not sure if shows like Wotakoi or Hamefura are watched primarily for boobs and cute girls. Although I'm not sure about the twitter part.

I meant the majority, probably far over 90% of shonen anime, can be watched perfectly fine by girls, while most shoujo anime aren't that interesting for guys. I was always wondering why they even call it shonen, they should just call most of it gender-neutral. If you think about it there are probably more anime that girls would like than anime that guys would like, but of course that also depends on the individual person.
Aug 9, 2022 6:33 AM

May 2018
I guess girls now are more interested in shounen than in shoujo. Obviously, for yaoi shipping.
There are even whole shounen shows which are actually oriented on girls. Black Butler, Nanbaka, and other blatant fujo bait shows veiled under a "shounen" tag.
Nemo_NiemandAug 9, 2022 6:37 AM

Aug 9, 2022 6:34 AM
Nov 2021
RobertBobert said:

So you think they get into it because of the common "girly" tropes? However, as if the censored version of K-ON! did not air on Disney Japan...

mmm not really, im speaking more from character design perspective
ateks also put it really well that girls are interested in a wider variety of genres than guys are typically
Aug 9, 2022 6:35 AM

Apr 2012
ateks said:
RobertBobert said:

I meant the majority, probably far over 90% of shonen anime can be watched perfectly fine by girls while most shoujo anime aren't that interesting for guys. I was always wondering why they even call it shonen, they should just call most of it gender-neutral. If you think about it there are probably more anime that girls would like than anime that guys would like, but of course that always also depends on the individual person.

Well, speaking of shonen, the MHA shows that girls' interests in these franchises are somewhat different from what the average teenage boy is looking for. It's like Sailor Moon, which for the girls was just a adventures of female team, while the boys basically took it as a hot all-female show.
Aug 9, 2022 6:41 AM

Apr 2012
gactoma said:
RobertBobert said:

mmm not really, im speaking more from character design perspective
ateks also put it really well that girls are interested in a wider variety of genres than guys are typically

As one of the reasons, it's quite possible, but in relation to not too "adult" gatcha games, I noticed that many such franchises are often perceived as gender-neutral, childish or even downright female in the west. For example, many people literally don't believe me when I say Bang Dream! mostly geared towards young adulet men, or that Revue Starlight isn't shoujo franchise. At the same time, even despite the anime, many are still not aware that Pokemon is a children's franchise.

I think it's more of a "problem" that men's media is considered the default media, while women's is still a local market. Mainly because, as producer Bandori said, you can easily sell male content to girls, but not vice versa. So, if you are not a bisexual tomboy, you will have to be able to find the right shows.
Aug 9, 2022 6:52 AM

Nov 2013
Girls don't exist on the internet, you silly.
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 9, 2022 7:06 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
RobertBobert said:
What anime do you prefer, especially if you're having trouble getting a good selection of shoujo or josei? How tolerant are you of content that is overly male-targeted? And why do you think so many young girls are attracted to various waifu bait franchises despite the obvious adult otaku pandering?

Various things, like Fantasy, action, shounen etc whichever is interesting I am not quite bound to genre most of the times.

RobertBobert said:

If its things like usual ecchi fanservices of anime girls then I just simply ignore it, or just skip some ecchi scenes which I think are annoying like in Shokugeki no Souma because the fanservices makes the show unnecessarily stupid.

RobertBobert said:

Because the story is interesting enough to see until the end, me and my fellow girl friends/cousins usually just watch whichever is exciting or enjoyable regardless of the target audiences, not to mention sometimes I find nice husbando material charas anyway in a waifu bait anime :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 9, 2022 8:02 AM

Mar 2012
What anime do you prefer, especially if you're having trouble getting a good selection of shoujo or josei?
Horror, mystery, SoL, comedy

Not a fan of battle shounen and I entirely avoid the ecchi stuff, if it's a little fan-service I can tolerate/ignore it.

No idea about others, my likes usually don't align well with other girl (or guys!) so I can only speak for myself. I just try various kinds of anime and end up enjoying certain this. If Nisekoi is waifu bait then I enjoyed watching Onodera for example, she's cute.
Aug 9, 2022 8:09 AM

Sep 2020
I'm a guy but I watch a LOT of shoujos and joseis. Its not really tied to any gender.
Lost my old account in the hacking accountpocalypse
Aug 9, 2022 8:25 AM

Mar 2016
I just like cute girls it makes me feel soft and heart pound that's for the last question. As for the josei I wish there was more josei manga/anime that tackles about how women are expected to balance a work-life balance between work and family/raising children. Most josei I've encountered is mainly not my type.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Aug 9, 2022 8:47 AM

May 2019
RobertBobert said:
What anime do you prefer, especially if you're having trouble getting a good selection of shoujo or josei?

If I feel like seeing some shoujo/josei I read it instead of watching, since there's no adaptation for most of the 'girly' stuff I like
RobertBobert said:

I just avoid waifu-baits and ecchi, in other cases I don't mind checking it out
RobertBobert said:

Well, everybody can just ignore the waifu part and focus on the plot if it looks interesting
Aug 9, 2022 9:04 AM
No.1 Rias Lover

Feb 2021
abystoma2 said:
Girls don't exist on the internet, you silly.
This statement is completely true and I agree with it .

But wait what are girls to begin with 🤓?
Aug 9, 2022 9:05 AM

Oct 2010
@kyline
what's your opinion on that?
Aug 9, 2022 9:13 AM

Jun 2022
RobertBobert said:

The target is really none of my concern, nor is whether something is “waifu bait” or not. If I enjoy the content, I’m gonna watch it and enjoy it.
Aug 9, 2022 9:15 AM

Mar 2021
i'm a degenerate so i'm mostly into seinen stuff lol. i have some shoujo stuff that i like due to nostalgia but josei just doesn't do it for me idk
Aug 9, 2022 9:21 AM

Mar 2015
>What anime do you prefer, especially if you're having trouble getting a good selection of shoujo or josei?

I don't watch much shoujo and josei to begin with, but action & fantasy.

>How tolerant are you of content that is overly male-targeted?

I mean not sure what exactly you mean by that. Shounen and seinen are for male demographics but imo most of them don't really come off as 'male targeted'. As for fanservice, it differs on a case to case basis. I guess in general if it's ecchi or comedy I don't mind but if it's a serious scene and there's a random panty shot...yeah could to without that.

>And why do you think so many young girls are attracted to various waifu bait franchises despite the obvious adult otaku pandering?

Again not sure what shows you mean by that. I don't think shit like To Love Ru or Highschool DxD (which I would considering "male otaku oandering") has a lot of young girls as fans, and if you mean stuff like Demon Slayer or JJK which is shounen as I said I don't think they have any extreme male pandering going on. But regardless, probably for the same reasons the dudes are into it.
Aug 9, 2022 9:38 AM

Apr 2012
Mirai said:
>What anime do you prefer, especially if you're having trouble getting a good selection of shoujo or josei?

I don't watch much shoujo and josei to begin with, but action & fantasy.

>How tolerant are you of content that is overly male-targeted?

I mean not sure what exactly you mean by that. Shounen and seinen are for male demographics but imo most of them don't really come off as 'male targeted'. As for fanservice, it differs on a case to case basis. I guess in general if it's ecchi or comedy I don't mind but if it's a serious scene and there's a random panty shot...yeah could to without that.

>And why do you think so many young girls are attracted to various waifu bait franchises despite the obvious adult otaku pandering?

Again not sure what shows you mean by that. I don't think shit like To Love Ru or Highschool DxD (which I would considering "male otaku oandering") has a lot of young girls as fans, and if you mean stuff like Demon Slayer or JJK which is shounen as I said I don't think they have any extreme male pandering going on. But regardless, probably for the same reasons the dudes are into it.

Male demographics = male-targeted.

By waifu bait, I mean franchises like Love Live or Bandori.
Aug 9, 2022 10:07 AM

Jan 2008
I actually like battle shounen most. Or just action or serious anime.

Not actually a fan of shoujo. Or romance.
Aug 9, 2022 10:10 AM

Apr 2012
UberBat said:

But what about a female targeted action or serious show like Yona?
Aug 9, 2022 11:26 AM

Jan 2008
RobertBobert said:
UberBat said:

Watched the first episode of Yona. Wasn't a big fan of her personality and didnt like the incest vibes.

On the other hand Balsa is my sort of woman protagonist
UberBatAug 9, 2022 1:58 PM
Aug 9, 2022 11:47 AM

Aug 2011
I really like iyashikei and shounen anime, there's not a lot of josei titles I want to watch thru so these 2 genres(?) are my fave
desu desu binches
Aug 9, 2022 12:09 PM

Aug 2021
I don't care much for shoujo/josei in the first place, I've never been super interested in feminine stuff, so nearly everything I watch is shounen/seinen. Genre-wise I like action, mystery, thriller, psychological, stuff like that. Slice of life/romance tends to bore me. I don't care that I'm not the target demographic, it doesn't affect my viewing experience. As for the last question, girls like cute waifus. Take Dress-Up Darling for example, I love Marin Kitagawa, although I'm not attracted to her or anything, I think she's really cute and I think Dress-Up Darling is a solid show even though it's clearly targeted towards men.

Hope this helps!
Aug 9, 2022 12:10 PM

Feb 2019
I think a lot of younger girls don't realise it's pandering, when I was younger for example I thought that shows with a big female cast were made for young girls like me.

Anyway though, a lot of my favorites are seinen apparently? I really don't care as much about genre or demographic, it's more about the premise to me or the cast nowadays even. And I can generally tell what is an obvious waifu-bait show by the character designs, people may not think it because it's a lot more subtle lately but a lot of these anime girl designs are clearly made to be enticing. But I like adventure, comedy, and romance, I'm the type who wants romance in everything ngl. But I don't really care about or like action so that's a bit of a difference from what's popular.

I'm pretty tolerant I think, because I just avoid it if I don't like it and I don't have a problem doing that, other than the feeling ostracized but whatever. I am mad about it though, because even though anime has always been male-focused it has become extremely so nowadays. Hardly any popular anime I can think of nowadays don't have fanservice, worst of all this "respectable" fanservice where it acts like it's not doing exactly that. I prefer when fanservice was blatant af with even the promotional images being swimsuit stuff, at least then I can laugh at it for how ridiculous of a concept it is. Still though, I didn't mean to sound so negative, I think there are still a lot of really good and unique modern anime.
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Aug 9, 2022 12:27 PM

Feb 2020
RobertBobert said:

I would say I'm not that picky with shows. I like slice of life quite a bit but I also enjoy action, psychological, comedy, etc. Most female anime fans tend to like a lot of the same shows that the men do. I'm personally super picky when it comes to shoujo/josei, but that's more so because of the repetitive romance. Otherwise, I really like stuff that is targeted more towards women/girls. I don't mind content that is very male-targeted, but that's probably because most of that stuff comes in the form of anime girl fanservice; I'm bisexual, so I don't mind that stuff usually. Although I'm not a huge fan of overly obvious objectification. But generally, I would say a lot of what I like is generally 'male targeted'. I truly don't care about the target audience of something, most of the time.

When it comes to young girls liking waifu bait franchises...I guess it depends on what these franchises specifically are. We obviously all know that regardless of the target audience, there will be people of every demographic who will enjoy it, just in varying numbers, I guess. A lot of the time people just truly don't care about the indented audience if they themselves enjoy it. When it comes to specifically young girls liking 'waifu bait franchises', I guess you could say it's because a lot of girls like media with, well, a lot of girls. Just perhaps not for the same reasons as the men like media with lots of girls.
Aug 9, 2022 12:36 PM

Apr 2012
Teirayo said:
I think a lot of younger girls don't realise it's pandering, when I was younger for example I thought that shows with a big female cast were made for young girls like me.

Anyway though, a lot of my favorites are seinen apparently? I really don't care as much about genre or demographic, it's more about the premise to me or the cast nowadays even. And I can generally tell what is an obvious waifu-bait show by the character designs, people may not think it because it's a lot more subtle lately but a lot of these anime girl designs are clearly made to be enticing. But I like adventure, comedy, and romance, I'm the type who wants romance in everything ngl. But I don't really care about or like action so that's a bit of a difference from what's popular.

I'm pretty tolerant I think, because I just avoid it if I don't like it and I don't have a problem doing that, other than the feeling ostracized but whatever. I am mad about it though, because even though anime has always been male-focused it has become extremely so nowadays. Hardly any popular anime I can think of nowadays don't have fanservice, worst of all this "respectable" fanservice where it acts like it's not doing exactly that. I prefer when fanservice was blatant af with even the promotional images being swimsuit stuff, at least then I can laugh at it for how ridiculous of a concept it is. Still though, I didn't mean to sound so negative, I think there are still a lot of really good and unique modern anime.

That's exactly what I was talking about. I remember making a slightly lewd joke about Bang Dream and some people accused me of trying to sexualize a kids show. They really thought that if it was a CGDCT musical anime without much fan service, then it was probably an innocent kids show. At the same time, though, I've seen real-life girls sexualize children's anime for girls like PreCure or Aikatsu, looking for sexual-romantic overtones in any character interaction.
Aug 9, 2022 12:37 PM
Apr 2020
RobertBobert said:

I don't have trouble getting a good selection of shoujo/josei shows, because I don't watch them. Nearly all the shows and films I've watched have been targeted towards a male audience, but it's not as obvious with modern shows, I find. What does seem to be a trend is how female characters are written in shounen shows. A lot of them are reduced to fawning over our male MC, are useless or are a combination of the two. My favourite is the female character who is useless when in the same scene as the male MC, realises she's useless, is determined to become stronger, does become stronger and is useful in scenes that don't involve the male MC but becomes useless again when in the same scene. That does get old.

I loathe slice of life, ecchi and romance shows. They are not my cup of tea. I do enjoy action, comedy, mystery, horror, thriller, supernatural.

My tolerance is low for things such as fan service.

I had no idea so many young girls are attracted to various waifu bait franchises. I mean, are they? And what constitutes as young? Perhaps they don't realise it or don't know better.
Aug 9, 2022 12:38 PM
Apr 2020
RobertBobert said:
UberBat said:

Most of the action in Yona was performed by the male characters if I recall, so I don't think that counts. Also, I disliked that show and thought it was boring AF.
Aug 9, 2022 12:38 PM

Jul 2007
Shoujo and josei series aren't thrilling enough. I enjoy complex narratives. Most shoujo are for kids, and I have never seen a josei that I liked yet.

I would much rather watch stuff like Nanoha which is a mahou shoujo made for otaku men.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 9, 2022 12:41 PM

May 2021
RobertBobert said:

Save for a few exeptions, i don't like shoujos and i like joseis even less...
I'm a total battle shounen chick
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Aug 9, 2022 12:46 PM

Apr 2012
EndlessMaria said:
Shoujo and josei series aren't thrilling enough. I enjoy complex narratives. Most shoujo are for kids, and I have never seen a josei that I liked yet.

I would much rather watch stuff like Nanoha which is a mahou shoujo made for otaku men.

Shoujo for teen girls. It's just that for some reason western resources keep labeling girls' kid shows like shoujo instead of the proper "kodomo" tag.
Aug 9, 2022 12:49 PM

Sep 2021
RobertBobert said:

- I'm actually not into shoujo or josei at all... I'd like to watch some eventually, since I've never watched them before, but I like iyashikei, shounen, and romance/romantic comedy, generally. To be honest, I try not to think too much about demographics or genres and just... watch what I like and what interests me. Lately I really like emotional or emotionally charged anime, so if the premise looks like it has that potential, I'll watch it, regardless. I do also think there's something to be said for the prevailing assumption that: because girl = automatically loves shoujo or josei. That's just not true and there are a lot of us who watch things from other 'unintended' demographics (mainly because we just don't care lol).

- I'm sure a lot of the content I watch is male-targeted, but again, I don't really think about it too much, and if it makes me uncomfortable or I'm just not vibing with it, then I can choose to not watch it and avoid it. It's pretty simple to me. Blatant, stupid fanservice does make me roll my eyes, though. Like when a show just goes out of its way for it, and the show was initially advertised as something completely different. Random panty shots in 'emotional' scenes are just...ugh.

- Mmm... because, again- girls can just like things regardless of the target demographic? And some of us are not straight (like me), so we enjoy looking at cute/hot anime girls. But even still, a lot of us who love those kinds of shows can also just appreciate them for the cute character designs, or because we can relate to one of the characters (when said character is actually well-developed and well-written). Also sometimes the story is captivating enough to watch it, regardless.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Aug 9, 2022 12:52 PM

Apr 2012
smoltulip said:
RobertBobert said:

- I'm actually not into shoujo or josei at all... I'd like to watch some eventually, since I've never watched them before, but I like iyashikei, shounen, and romance/romantic comedy, generally. To be honest, I try not to think too much about demographics or genres and just... watch what I like and what interests me. Lately I really like emotional or emotionally charged anime, so if the premise looks like it has that potential, I'll watch it, regardless. I do also think there's something to be said for the prevailing assumption that: because girl = automatically loves shoujo or josei. That's just not true and there are a lot of us who watch things from other 'unintended' demographics (mainly because we just don't care lol).

- I'm sure a lot of the content I watch is male-targeted, but again, I don't really think about it too much, and if it makes me uncomfortable or I'm just not vibing with it, then I can choose to not watch it and avoid it. It's pretty simple to me. Blatant, stupid fanservice does make me roll my eyes, though. Like when a show just goes out of its way for it, and the show was initially advertised as something completely different. Random panty shots in 'emotional' scenes are just...ugh.

- Mmm... because, again- girls can just like things regardless of the target demographic? And some of us are not straight (like me), so we enjoy looking at cute/hot anime girls. But even still, a lot of us who love those kinds of shows can also just appreciate them for the cute character designs, or because we can relate to one of the characters (when said character is actually well-developed and well-written). Also sometimes the story is captivating enough to watch it, regardless.

Here, I was also particularly interested in not straight girl's opinion on male-focused fanservice. I met a lot of gay girls who complained about ecchi anyway, and those who were obsessed with explicit near-porn yuri anime. Is it purely a matter of personal taste or something dominates?
Aug 9, 2022 1:05 PM
Bhaal babe

Jul 2015
I really love shoujo series, but I'm also a big fan of battle shounen and other male-targeted shows. I think most girls are, actually, I don't know any girl who only watches what would be considered girly lol. I honestly think that for the most part people don't care that much about demographics anymore. When it comes to ecchi/harem/romance-shounen the things change a bit for me though.

When I first started watching anime I didn't have any problem with this type of series and I could like some. Now I usually avoid that type of genres. I'm bisexual and I like a ton of female characters, of course, but you can totally tell when those characters are created for men who have barely had interaction with women. They don't seem atractive for me, they just feel weird and I don't use to like their personality. They are usually objectified and I understand that women in general don't use to like them. But I can totally understand why most men do, even I like your typical trash shoujo reverse harem lol, so I'm no one to judge.

About the waifu bait thing, I don't know tbh. I guess some audiences don't care about that, they just watch it for the show itself and not the waifu thing (?. Whenever I find a sexualized pic of shows like non non biyori or love live etc. it makes me feel so sick. I have to say that now, whenever I watch a similar show, I can't stop imagining adult men watching it for different purposes and it really makes me sad if the actual purpose of the show had anything like that in mind. I prefer to just ignore that fact and enjoy it for what I enjoy, the chill vibes or whatever it has to offer. Oh there are also these types of shows that seems like something sweet and then you find weird camera shots and so... Shows that are more clear in that aspect are a definetely no for me.

Aug 9, 2022 1:13 PM

Sep 2021
RobertBobert said:
smoltulip said:

Here, I was also particularly interested in not straight girl's opinion on male-focused fanservice. I met a lot of gay girls who complained about ecchi anyway, and those who were obsessed with explicit near-porn yuri anime. Is it purely a matter of personal taste or something dominates?

Like I kind of mentioned, the type of fanservice that bothers me is when it happens in the middle of an otherwise serious romance or drama. Or in a show that was really focused on the cute angle before the fanservice episode. It's so jarring and I hate how it takes me out of the moment immediately. For the most part, I actually don't mind ecchi if I know it's ecchi going into it, although sometimes it's so obvious that it's made for males that it makes me laugh. Maybe I have a different stance because it doesn't bother me, per se? Personally I just can't take it seriously whatsoever- and I just know I can stop watching and/or avoid it if it does end up bothering me... so it's not a big deal, even if it is annoying sometimes. I do really hate how a lot of characters from CGDCT anime are super sexualized through fanart and such, however.

On the other hand, I do actually really love yuri, but I mostly read suggestive + (sometimes) explicit yuri manga. There are a good amount that don't feel super male-focused, and I really appreciate them for that. Sex is obviously a part of relationships for a lot of people, and I love when it's depicted in a way that elevates the relationship of the characters involved. So, I mean, I think it's a matter of personal taste? I can tolerate some male-focused stuff, but when it's clearly obvious that it's pandering + uncomfortable (and that goes for yuri as well), I'll find something else to watch/read. I do feel like I'm relatively tolerant to this stuff, though. Like anything else, it really just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

✧✧✧✧✧✧

Aug 9, 2022 1:18 PM

Apr 2012
smoltulip said:
RobertBobert said:

Like I kind of mentioned, the type of fanservice that bothers me is when it happens in the middle of an otherwise serious romance or drama. Or in a show that was really focused on the cute angle before the fanservice episode. It's so jarring and I hate how it takes me out of the moment immediately. For the most part, I actually don't mind ecchi if I know it's ecchi going into it, although sometimes it's so obvious that it's made for males that it makes me laugh. Maybe I have a different stance because it doesn't bother me, per se? Personally I just can't take it seriously whatsoever- and I just know I can stop watching and/or avoid it if it does end up bothering me... so it's not a big deal, even if it is annoying sometimes. I do really hate how a lot of characters from CGDCT anime are super sexualized through fanart and such, however.

On the other hand, I do actually really love yuri, but I mostly read suggestive + (sometimes) explicit yuri manga. There are a good amount that don't feel super male-focused, and I really appreciate them for that. Sex is obviously a part of relationships for a lot of people, and I love when it's depicted in a way that elevates the relationship of the characters involved. So, I mean, I think it's a matter of personal taste? I can tolerate some male-focused stuff, but when it's clearly obvious that it's pandering + uncomfortable (and that goes for yuri as well), I'll find something else to watch/read. I do feel like I'm relatively tolerant to this stuff, though. Like anything else, it really just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

It is somewhat strange that in such conversations, from all-female shows, you only indicate the most pure in any respects Yuru Camp and Non Non Byori, but it doesn’t matter.

That is, if I understand you correctly, you want to say that the male and female understanding of "hot lewd staff" is different?
Aug 9, 2022 1:36 PM

Aug 2020
I'm more interest in shounen than shojou to be honest, so it doesn't really bother me that anime is mostly male targeted as long as its enjoyable, and since i was young i always thought "waifus" were made for women, even the fanservice, i was kinda shocked when i found out it was targeted towards males cause i always thought they hated "girly stuff" so I didn't think that waifus were made for men at all (I'm also not straight so maybe my sexuality plays a big role in this since i even thought ecchi shows were female-targeted lol)
Aug 9, 2022 1:39 PM

Dec 2020
Ight you mf'ing catfishers, where you all at -_-

Aug 9, 2022 1:48 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Aight, @sunsetocean can you contribute to this thread?

also, mfw there's more males on this thread lol
Top of the Top! Top of the World! I'm the one who you've been waiting for.

5201314 5201314 5201314 5201314 5201314

Aug 9, 2022 1:50 PM

Jul 2021
UberBat said:
Watched the first episode of Yona. Wasn't a big fan of her personality and didnt like the incest vibes.

Good to know I'm not the only one who found Yona unbearable. She is like the most spoiled of all spoiled brats...
Aug 9, 2022 2:01 PM

Jul 2007
RobertBobert said:
EndlessMaria said:

Shoujo for teen girls. It's just that for some reason western resources keep labeling girls' kid shows like shoujo instead of the proper "kodomo" tag.

Are Cardcaptor Sakura and Precure not made for little girls?
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 9, 2022 2:03 PM

Sep 2021
RobertBobert said:
smoltulip said:

It is somewhat strange that in such conversations, from all-female shows, you only indicate the most pure in any respects Yuru Camp and Non Non Byori, but it doesn’t matter.

That is, if I understand you correctly, you want to say that the male and female understanding of "hot lewd staff" is different?

Uhh, I'm not sure why that's strange, or when I specifically mentioned Yuru Camp△ + Non Non Biyori here, or what "indicating the most pure" has to do with this? I mean, your original question was what anime I enjoy, and I do enjoy iyashikei, some shounen, and romance/romantic comedies (and that does include Yuru Camp△ and Non Non Biyori, sure). Like I mentioned, I tend to focus on manga for yuri, and most of what I read there is definitely not "the most pure" lmao.

Anwyayy, I wouldn't simplify it that much, as I think there is lewd stuff written by men for women that is well done, and lewd stuff written by women for men that is also well done. And there's also an overlap of demographics, where some people won't care either way- just like with anime. I just mean that regardless of who's authoring it, it's usually pretty clear as to who it's being written for.

✧✧✧✧✧✧

Aug 9, 2022 2:05 PM

Apr 2012
EndlessMaria said:
RobertBobert said:

Are Cardcaptor Sakura and Precure not made for little girls?

Sakura, like all CLAMP works, is aimed at teenage girls and older. PreCure is a children's show that also has adult male fanservice.
Aug 9, 2022 2:10 PM

Apr 2012
smoltulip said:
RobertBobert said:

Uhh, I'm not sure why that's strange, or when I specifically mentioned Yuru Camp△ + Non Non Biyori here, or what "indicating the most pure" has to do with this? I mean, your original question was what anime I enjoy, and I do enjoy iyashikei, some shounen, and romance/romantic comedies (and that does include Yuru Camp△ and Non Non Biyori, sure). Like I mentioned, I tend to focus on manga for yuri, and most of what I read there is definitely not "the most pure" lmao.

Anwyayy, I wouldn't simplify it that much, as I think there is lewd stuff written by men for women that is well done, and lewd stuff written by women for men that is also well done. And there's also an overlap of demographics, where some people won't care either way- just like with anime. I just mean that regardless of who's authoring it, it's usually pretty clear as to who it's being written for.

I wanted to say that these two shows are one of those CGDCT shows that are devoid of any (erotic) fan service and yuri bait, so I called them pure in the context of our conversation.

Well, here is Akebi-chan Seilorfuku, which is famous for the very memorable sexualization of the lives of teenage girls in the countryside. By the way the fan service is written in the work, can you guess the gender of Hiro, the author? Interestingly, their illustrations for the Super Cub are as innocent as possible, though.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 9 hours ago

15 by Fail_Man_X »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 2 hours ago

10 by PostMahouShoujo »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

76 by Catalano »»
5 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 26 minutes ago

4 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

40 by M_MASTER »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.