Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 8, 2022 4:55 AM
Jul 2018
Why do you think Shinji choked Asuka at the end ? And yeah I have heard about confirming if she is real or not but that doesn't feel like it's the case if I watch it or even think about the scene.
Aug 8, 2022 5:17 AM
Mar 2021
I think you should watch 3.0+1.0 for most appropriate answers πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜„
Aug 8, 2022 5:31 AM
Jul 2018
ParagMittal said:
so aren't the rebuild movies trash ?
Aug 8, 2022 6:10 AM

Feb 2021
Shinya_Kogami04 said:
ParagMittal said:

the ratings clearly say otherwise
Aug 8, 2022 6:19 AM

Sep 2021
Shinya_Kogami04 said:
ParagMittal said:

honestly i enjoyed the rebuilds way more than the show lmao
Aug 8, 2022 6:23 AM

Apr 2022
Shinya_Kogami04 said:
ParagMittal said:

the fitst is okay, the second and third are trash but the last one is pretty good.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Aug 8, 2022 7:08 AM
Sep 2021
Shinya_Kogami04 said:
Why do you think Shinji choked Asuka at the end ? And yeah I have heard about confirming if she is real or not but that doesn't feel like it's the case if I watch it or even think about the scene.

There are several possible interpretations. My favorite is that, in EoE, when Shinji asks himself the show’s big questions, he doesn’t answer them. Instead there is a silence and a cry of pain. To me, everything before is an overlap between the two endings, and the alternate ending starts there. In NGE, Shinji learns how to accept himself so that he can love himself. In EoE, he doesn’t, but decides to give life a chance because he may be happy one day. When he wakes up, he’s still begging Asuka for emotional support, for her to love him so he doesn’t have to love himself. And because one who hates himself can never love others or make meaningful bonds, he ends up strangling her.

Alternatively, I’ve heard that a major theme of the movie were the first other (A Freudian theory). The mother is the first other, and the lover is to take her place in our heart. Shinji’s mother was caring, and Asuka’s tried to strangle her. Then there’s smth about the scene with the coffee but i forgot what. And when he strangles her in the end, and she touches his cheek gently, they become each other’s first other.
Aug 8, 2022 7:09 AM

May 2022
actually there are too many theories, so i combined my interpretation of this. its a bit TOO much, but bear with me, lol

with all the shit happening in the last episodes of the series and all the misunderstanding in relationships with others he gets, shinji strives for any kind of affection, and he finds it in kaworu, who was the first to actually appreciate shinji saying that he deserves to be treated better. the next day kaworu dies by his hands and shinji finally falls in despair.

he feels lost, betrayed, tormented by guilt, he is tired of being alone and of no one caring about him. not being able to deal with it by himself, he begs for others to help him, but yet again finds no answer. rei is not the rei he knew, but the empty shell of a clone, misato is cooped up in her own depression and she never really could understand shinji, and the only one that could help him is lying in coma.

shinji yet again comes to undertanding that he is alone and now his despair converts into anger, as he chokes asuka in 25-26 episode, when he is going through his head, trying to deal with all this. he was yet again betrayed by one he was trying to seek help from.

in the end of evangelion, shinji rebuilds the world from scratch, as he comes to terms with self-loathing and finally begins to understand his value and learns that he needs others by his side to exist. even though relationships in the past brought him only pain, suffering and betrayal, he decides that he prefers real individual feelings over everyone becoming the one organism.

as he finds himself on the beach, he doubts the reality around him, and with all his thoughts still messed up he finds asuka lying there. the last time he saw her, he was feeling betrayed, all the more he yet again feels disgusted in himself for what he did, and as emotions start to overflow, they turn into anger, as shinji tries to remove the source of yet another suffering from this world. but asuka, unlike in shinji's 'dream' in 25-26 episode finally answers him with warmth, showing that now she is there for him. shinji, understanding that, snaps out of it, realizing that everything happening there is real.

also, about asuka being real or not, i guess she is real, and she is pretty much alive. when shinji rebuilt the world, everyone alive at the moment was given a choice: either die and become one with all the others, or be reborn. asuka, just like shinji did, found herself in 25-26 episode so she couldnt leave this world, even if it brought her pain, she decided to try to change one more time.
Aug 8, 2022 7:23 AM

May 2022
PikaboyTK said:
Shinya_Kogami04 said:

well, its alright for them to have better score, since rebuilds are way easier to understand and intepret in your own way, the ending is way 'happier' then EoE's and there is nothing to think through. in EoE and all the more in NGE endinds are very very open, and i believe the majority of people doesn't like the incompleteness much.

-------------------
i have nothing against rebuilds, they may be good, but they deviate from canon, sooooo a big NO for me.
Aug 8, 2022 7:41 AM

Feb 2021
XalekMe said:
PikaboyTK said:

well, its alright for them to have better score, since rebuilds are way easier to understand and intepret in your own way, the ending is way 'happier' then EoE's and there is nothing to think through. in EoE and all the more in NGE endinds are very very open, and i believe the majority of people doesn't like the incompleteness much.

-------------------
i have nothing against rebuilds, they may be good, but they deviate from canon, sooooo a big NO for me.

Well the movies have a good score because the movies are good. I don't think it's just because they lead up to a happy ending. I prefer the EoE too, not just for the ending, but as a whole experience. But, the rebuilds are still an exciting watch, that's why I love those movies.

Well, even if they're not "canon", I still enjoyed them. Copying an entire story from a source material doesn't make it good or bad imo. It just makes it predictable.
Aug 8, 2022 8:17 AM
Dec 2019
Shinya_Kogami04 said:
ParagMittal said:

it's not trash. But it has some issues.
1st rebuild is a frame by frame remaster of ep 1-7... so nothing special.
2nd rebuild chages somethings about Asuka that I am not a fan of but the ending is such a great cliffhanger and the first major deviations from the series.
3rd one is actually really confusing and need to watch it 2-3 times for it to make half sense.
4th one is actually really good, a nice conclusion to the entire series as a whole.
Aug 8, 2022 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
Thanks for all the replies and interpretations guys. It is my first forum and thanks for your interpretations about rebuilds too. I may watch them now
Aug 8, 2022 1:38 PM
Feb 2021
ParagMittal said:

the rebuilds aren’t good
Aug 8, 2022 2:02 PM
Jul 2018
MichellBollinger said:
ParagMittal said:

the rebuilds aren’t good

I watched a review ( spoiler free ). I am convinced. too late imma watch them
Aug 8, 2022 2:04 PM
Feb 2021
Shinya_Kogami04 said:
MichellBollinger said:

the rebuilds aren’t good

I watched a review ( spoiler free ). I am convinced. too late imma watch them
personally they take away what makes Eva, Eva
Aug 8, 2022 2:07 PM

Jul 2021
My take is that Shinji didn't learn anything.
He rejected instrumentality like in the series, but, unlike eps 23-24 where he took a step towards self-love and not relying on others to define himself, here he rejects it by fear and when he wakes up he unleashes his angry or lack of self control at Asuka again, like he did in the kitchen scene when Asuka confronted him.
Aug 8, 2022 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
PizzaHusbando said:
My take is that Shinji didn't learn anything.
He rejected instrumentality like in the series, but, unlike eps 23-24 where he took a step towards self-love and not relying on others to define himself, here he rejects it by fear and when he wakes up he unleashes his angry or lack of self control at Asuka again, like he did in the kitchen scene when Asuka confronted him.

yup I think that is plausible too
Aug 8, 2022 9:03 PM

Dec 2019
Shinya_Kogami04 said:
ParagMittal said:

people have different opinions, personally i think they're vastly inferior to the og series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2022 12:32 AM
Feb 2021
Shinya_Kogami04 said:
ParagMittal said:

Not trash, still enjoyable, just not as good as the originals
Aug 9, 2022 12:37 AM
Feb 2021
Usapz said:
Shinya_Kogami04 said:

the fitst is okay, the second and third are trash but the last one is pretty good.

And having said that I still liked the 3.0 + 1.0 ending. It made be happy to see idiot shinji finally start to grow as a person
Aug 9, 2022 2:07 AM
Mar 2021
Shinya_Kogami04 said:
ParagMittal said:

Nope not at all don’t know where you heard that
Aug 9, 2022 2:29 AM
Jan 2021
MichellBollinger said:
ParagMittal said:

the rebuilds aren’t good

No offense but this guy gave code geass a 6 so like
Aug 9, 2022 2:47 AM
Feb 2021
SadBoiRy said:
MichellBollinger said:

the rebuilds aren’t good

No offense but this guy gave code geass a 6 so like
because I don’t think it’s particularly good lol, the second season is a complete blowout except for the last like 3 episodes

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Yesterday

13 by deg »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Zerachroma - Jun 13, 2008

533 by rengoku09_ »»
Apr 1, 5:57 AM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.