Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 7, 2022 3:11 AM
Feb 2020
fate is often meme'd for its memorable quotes but i think this "controversial title" easily goes to berserk for obvious reasons....
Aug 7, 2022 3:14 AM

Jul 2021
A couple of my favourite animes are controversial, but I wouldn't consider the rest of them and my characters to be.
Aug 7, 2022 3:16 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
"Chinese cartoons aren't anime!!1!"

If you could call that controversy lol

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Aug 7, 2022 3:31 AM

Oct 2010
nothing controversial in my list, come on, all is safe and wholesome
Aug 7, 2022 3:52 AM
May 2018
My top one, Your Lie in April, is either very loved or very hated, but other than that it's not very massively talked about.

K-on was where moeblob started, so i'd think there'd be mixed opinions about it as well.

I don't think I need to say how controversial Attack on Titan is lMAo

Other than that, my favs are pretty tame (One Punch Man S1, Assassination Classroom) or pretty unknown (Death Parade, Kokoro Conne-ah hell, i just found out kokoro connect had a massive controversy about harrasing a VA, nvm

Oh and also, Ghost Stories Dub isn't controversial at all
Kyubi_RutoAug 7, 2022 4:00 AM
Aug 7, 2022 5:43 AM

Dec 2018
They’re all decently popular and for the most part well liked so I don’t think they’re very controversial.
Aug 7, 2022 5:49 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Yea the most controversial one would probably be Monogatari but aside from that they're all just "normal" ones.

smoochie smoochie

Aug 7, 2022 6:45 AM

Mar 2016
I only think my "controversial" favourite anime is Owarimonogatari and maybe fate zero (idk).

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Aug 7, 2022 8:24 AM

Jul 2021
Nirinbo said:
Kuzu no Honkai is quite controversial for various reasons. Given the score progression, most people disliked the ending.

scum's wish was brilliant. sad that many people don't recognise that lmao.

Ionliosite2 said:
-
- Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road was apparently called misandric and across the whole time it was airing people complained they killed a guy in the first 10 minutes. Not something big, but I had to heard it for 3 months and even if you currently mention it you can still see someone that was bothered by it.

god. i've seen the comment section every week where I've watched it and on the the forum discussions for it. it's filled with misogynistic twats acting as if it's the most offensive shit they've ever seen. the actual audacity of them calling it misandrist LMAO. pffft lmao I'm never going to be able let this go :))

"you can still see someone that was bothered by it" yes. here I am. but not on the opposing side.
---

anyway, with my favourites.

lol madoka and its movie have already been mentioned here. the series itself isn't controversial, it just gets shit talked unfairly. the movie on the other hand, I will fight anyone that acts as if it ruined the series. (not actually fight, I'm non confrontational pls uwu)

I used to have code geass, rev girl utena, and cross ange listed but removed them cause I prefer a less messy look to my page.

we all know what mal thinks of code geass. shout out to the haters xx

revolutionary girl utena isn't controversial. it just gets chucked into THiS anImE iS ElItiSt AnIME.

cross ange? HAHAHAHAHAH. the few times it gets brought up, nothing but love for it. I literally once witnessed a normal thread get turned into a cross ange appreciation thread. I unironically love it.
Aug 7, 2022 4:21 PM

Jan 2020
Not really that controversial. Monogatari is the most controversial out of the lot

Aug 7, 2022 4:55 PM

Nov 2020
Space Dandy has a score below 8, people find Girls’ Last Tour too boring, and TTGL fans can be annoying.
Aug 7, 2022 5:07 PM

Sep 2008
no clue, go check it if you care. I don't. I doubt anyone has heard of them by now anyway, no matter how big they used to be
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Aug 7, 2022 5:22 PM

Oct 2016
I only have Serial Experiments Lain and Evangelion as somewhat divisive titles, the rest are either respected or forgotten.
Aug 7, 2022 5:46 PM

Dec 2020
Higurashi gets some shit from the hardcore visual novel fans and Clannad is of course the number 1 target when it comes to "crybait" anime but still those are people in the minority

School Days on the other hand though.......
Aug 7, 2022 6:15 PM
Jul 2022
He just got 6 million people killed that’s all…
Aug 7, 2022 6:48 PM

Jun 2016
The fact that FMAB is akways criticized on MAL because it's no. 1.

I've never seen people outside complain this much.
Aug 7, 2022 7:05 PM

Dec 2020
Mine is different cause there's some anime there that more "experienced" watchers would choose as some favorites (San-Gatsu no Lion, Vinland Saga, Silent Voice) and at the same time I have some favorites that are more for "normies" (One Punch Man, No Game No Life)
I think I have my own personal thought-out reasons for each and everyone of my favorites, whether it be seen as normie or not, and there's something to discuss so I'll say mine is alright and not too bad/controversial.

Aug 7, 2022 7:08 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I don't know and I don't really care. I like the shows I like because I like them, and I couldn't really care if people dislike them.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Aug 7, 2022 7:25 PM
"Oasis"

May 2022
I have a few? controversial ones in my favorites, mainly Citrus and Isekai Smartphone. I can't remember what the controversy surrounding Isekai Smartphone is though. Kandagawa Jet Girls is my lowest rated, so maybe that has some controversy behind it? I have no idea about my Manga, Characters, People, and Companies though.
Aug 8, 2022 5:33 AM
Jul 2018
Nothing's controversial in my favorites. Not even The Ping-Pong Club.
Aug 8, 2022 3:13 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Not much... my favourites are not popular in the west but very popular in Japan and there's a lack of japanese members on mal..
I wish there were more japanese on mal

Aug 8, 2022 3:16 PM

May 2021
I don't think many of mine could be controversial outside of possibly eva and utena, I think despite some of them not being that popular they mostly all have some kind of broad appeal and it'd be hard for people to find huge stuff to make controversies over
Sounds gay, I'm in.
Aug 8, 2022 4:26 PM

Apr 2015
Uh, hmm. It's not inherently controversial but having Fullmetal Alchemist In my favorites when I've already watched Brotherhood could be considered "controversial"?

I guess Ergo Proxy still gets some flack, but hardly anyone watches it nowadays anyway so I'm quite controversy clean.
Aug 8, 2022 9:48 PM

Dec 2019
Many people consider Texhnolyze a really boring series (in my case, it was the opposite).

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood fans are really toxic, imagine feeling superior because your favorite anime is #1 in the ranking.
Aug 8, 2022 10:05 PM
Aug 2017
Let's see:

Speed Grapher isn't as remembered, but it's a pretty dark anime involving an Underground Fetish Club, Child Abuse, Sadistic Superpowered Elites, and a Lust Driven Cop.

Texhnolyze is a slow burner with a Dreary Setting with a Not so Happy Ending.

Project ARMS is a forgotten scifi battle shonen with a very flawed anime adaptation (with a funny Canadian Dub) that involves Nanomachines, Biological Experiments and Conspiracies mixed with Over the Top Hammy Villains and Fun Action scenes.

And Rave Master is also a forgotten Adventure Shonen with an incomplete Anime that could be seen as pretty tropey by today's standards and some of that Hiro Mishima writing people often complain about. And remains to be overshadowed by Fairy Tail and Eden Zero.
Aug 8, 2022 10:07 PM

Mar 2022
not much, but most are widely liked as well as widely hated, like one piece, monster, evangelion, given, re zero.(i excluded the ones which aren't hated much)
but there is one which is never even talked about on my #13 spot, villains are destined to die, many people dislike it too because the main character "doesn't treat the other characters like human beings and just game characters" but imo she doesn't do that, it might feel like that but she is just doing what's logical (people also hate her because she has a slave, but reasons).
oh and given, apparently people don't even want to watch it because "its gay" and quite after an ep just to rate it low lol. but its truly a masterpiece to me and i have some personal reasons too for liking it.
Blueberry173Aug 8, 2022 10:10 PM
Aug 8, 2022 10:15 PM

Jul 2021
Well I have Mushoku Tensei and AoT in my fav animes and there are many people who have problems with both those animes whether it be calling Mushoku Tensei's MC a pedophile or AoT an overrated crap.

Also I have Domekano as my favourite manga, dunno if it's controversial but well many people hate that series. Most of them haven't read the manga so can't blame them, the anime was bad and focused on all the wrong stuff.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 9, 2022 12:04 AM

May 2020
I guess Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S would be and high pick of controversy, mostly on Twitter tho cause the blue bird is scared of lolis and booba. And then pretentious anime like Lain, Ergo Proxy and Texhnolyze can be considered as well

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Aug 9, 2022 12:22 AM
Jan 2022
don't really know but it seems like no one like the shows i do can't speak for everyone though.
Aug 9, 2022 12:41 AM

Feb 2021
AOT is overhated and hella controversial. Promare had some controversial moments (BL stuff and Trigger studio animation), Eva 3.0+1.0 is not liked by many and is somewhat controversial, rest however are fine imo

Aug 9, 2022 1:10 AM

Oct 2019
Hoo boy

one of my most favorite animes is Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid has been pretty controversial in recent years due to a newer character they introduced in season 2, and if im being real, i dont really care for her, yeah shes cute and kinda weird because of the way shes designed, but there have been tons of different character designs that were just as bad, if not worst than hers and people are only really complaining about this specific character because the anime shes from is very popular. but yeah, ill always love this anime despite those things, because in my eyes, as long as im not actively enjoying the questionable aspects, i think its fine to like this show, i just like the cute moe stuff and the slice of life moments.
Aug 9, 2022 1:20 PM
Dec 2021
Probably My Hero Academia. It has amazing animation and music, and a great story, but the general fanbase is toxic and Mineta exists.
Aug 9, 2022 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
In terms of controversy:
Steins;Gate [1/10, almost unanimously loved]
Dorohedoro [2/10, a bit oddball for some]
Ishuzoku Reviewers [8/10, I can understand why]
Hunter x Hunter 2011 [3/10, You either love it or hate it]
Berserk 1997 [4/10, a lot of people dislike the Berserk anime]
Saiki K [2/10, almost universally loved as a comedy show]
Trigun [3/10, on the older side, some people hate it]
Code Geass S2 [2/10, most people like it]
Assassination Classroom S2 [2/10, most people like it]
Re:Zero [4/10, most people like it but there is a sizeable and loud opposition]

In terms of manga and lns, I guess Mushoku Tensei is a bit controversial due to Rudeus' questionable character. Other than that, I guess Naruto is a bit basic?
Aug 9, 2022 6:48 PM
Jul 2014
Favorite animes or favorite characters?
Aug 9, 2022 7:01 PM

Jan 2020
Naruto - Usually people on MAL don't have Naruto in your favorites.

Domestic na Kanojo - Shit ending, yes I know, but all the rest it's so good.

Aug 9, 2022 7:07 PM

Oct 2013
Not very...unless you consider the countless threads about Brotherhood forever staying at #1 as "controversy". Aside from that, I think theres a good amount of people who find Steins;Gate boring, or who think One Punch Man is overrated, or who hate Jojo for just being a meme factory.
Aug 9, 2022 8:04 PM

Feb 2021
it feels misleading to put them out in respective contexts, but there's decadence, exploitation, sexual violence, misogyny and ero guro.
Aug 9, 2022 9:43 PM
Aug 2022
No Anime = More Pussy

Sorry, I don't make the rules
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 hours ago

35 by delirific »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

16 by Horizon06 »»
2 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

15 by W3TFT »»
5 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

29 by LoveYourEyes »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

89 by LostSpectre »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.