Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 6, 2022 2:13 PM

May 2021
Hello, thinking about starting Fate series, and saw that Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works is an alternate version of Fate/stay night 2006

Any tips on which to watch first and what the differences are between the two seasons?
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Aug 6, 2022 2:23 PM
Jun 2021
fate stay night, fate unlimited blade works, and fate heavens feel are all 3 different endings to the 4th holy grail war (or maybe it’s 5th idk i forgot lol). and fate stay night is generally disregarded bc it’s a bad adaptation. just watch the ones made by ufotable like:

fate zero>fate ubw>fate hf
or
fate ubw>fate hf>fate zero
^^^doesnt really matter which of these 2 orders u choose
Aug 6, 2022 2:24 PM

Nov 2021
DigiCat said:
Hello, thinking about starting Fate series, and saw that Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works is an alternate version of Fate/stay night 2006

Any tips on which to watch first and what the differences are between the two seasons?

Watch it in this way ⬇️
2006 - UBW - HF - ZERO

~ 2006 is saber's route.
~ UBW is regarding shirou and archer, and it's like rin's route.
~ HF is sakura's
~ Zero is prequel, which you have to watch after completing all the other 3 routes.
itsrj20Aug 6, 2022 2:29 PM

(Desktop mode) ⬇️

Watching this season

My Anime list

Comment
Aug 6, 2022 2:24 PM

Jul 2015
Airing order is always proper order.

Aug 6, 2022 2:30 PM
Apr 2021
Piromysl said:

It's not in this case, Zero spoils an important plot point of Heaven's feel, so Zero has to be watched at least after heaven's feel
Aug 6, 2022 2:33 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
People like to say to skip 2006 because it looks ugly, but the plot is still good even with the changes and it gives a lot more context to the events in UBW.
Aug 6, 2022 2:34 PM

Jul 2015
Ioesisto said:
Piromysl said:

It's not in this case, Zero spoils an important plot point of Heaven's feel, so Zero has to be watched at least after heaven's feel

Assuming any order will spoil some parts for other routes.
If you watch Zero last, you will actually have spoiled basically everything.

Aug 6, 2022 2:37 PM
Apr 2021
Piromysl said:
Ioesisto said:

Zero is placed before Stay Night, but like every "season" prequel to the original it's meant to be watched after, not for knowing what will happen but in what way it will, like a part of Made in Abyss season 2 or No Game No Life Zero
Aug 6, 2022 2:38 PM

May 2021
Thanks everyone :3

itsrj20 said:
DigiCat said:

Watch it in this way ⬇️
2006 - UBW - HF - ZERO

~ 2006 is saber's route.
~ UBW is regarding shirou and archer, and it's like rin's route.
~ HF is sakura's
~ Zero is prequel, which you have to watch after completing all the other 3 routes.

Yeah this order seem like the one which makes most sense
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Aug 6, 2022 2:39 PM
May 2021
I loved the events and the end of the 2014 edition much more
Aug 6, 2022 3:13 PM

Jan 2021
Piromysl said:
Ioesisto said:

thats because zero was built from the info gained from stay night and mostly works to answer questions
Read the visual novel nerd
Aug 6, 2022 3:20 PM

Jan 2021
INSANELYWP said:
fate stay night, fate unlimited blade works, and fate heavens feel are all 3 different endings to the 4th holy grail war (or maybe it’s 5th idk i forgot lol). and fate stay night is generally disregarded bc it’s a bad adaptation. just watch the ones made by ufotable like:

fate zero>fate ubw>fate hf
or
fate ubw>fate hf>fate zero
^^^doesnt really matter which of these 2 orders u choose

all of them are bad adaptations lol
except for zero
Read the visual novel nerd
Aug 6, 2022 3:40 PM
Jul 2021
Don’t’ watch the 2006 version, it’s really bad, go for UBW of HF
Aug 6, 2022 3:51 PM

Dec 2008
I quite like the 2006 version.
It also covers Saber's route, which the 2014 does not, so you are missing out somewhat if you don't watch it. Saber is also the best character in the series.
Yes, the animation is shit compared to ufotable's stuff, but it's still perfectly watchable in my opinion.

I would say watch 2006 > UBW (2014 version) > and then Heavens Feel movies.
Aug 6, 2022 4:54 PM

Jan 2021
The 2006 version isn't the right place to start Staynight. Staynight has three routes- Fate, UBW and Heaven's Feel- meant to be played in that exact order because of plot twists and thematic storytelling.
However, the first route wasn't very accurately adapted by Studio Deen in 2006. They took scenes from the other two routes and threw them in, which will essentially fuck up your experience when you actually watch those scenes in their respective routes.

That said, the 2006 version probably has the best OST out of them all imo. I had a friend watching with me, and they made me skip scenes that didn't belong in the Fate route. But it was quite the hassle, so I just recommend these orders-
UBW - Heaven's Feel - Zero
or
Zero - UBW - Heaven's Feel

If you're more into the battle shounen and prefer mildly light-hearted shows, I'd recommend following the first order (UBW has its fair share of dark scenes though)
If you're into darker shows, follow the 2nd order. I rarely come across shows as cynical as Fate/Zero, and it was amazing.
Aug 6, 2022 5:23 PM
Jul 2019
2006 supremacy. if you want a show with an actual vibe and banging ost watch the old fate.
Aug 6, 2022 5:24 PM

Aug 2020
Either start with 2006 anime, or give the visual novel's first route a read
It's about 30 hours more or less, and gives great insight into the rest of the war as the route takes on the role of explaining the setting the furthest as the first one you need to play through
Aug 6, 2022 5:25 PM
Dec 2020
DigiCat said:

Go fate zero, fate stay night unlimited blade works then heavens feel in order or regular fate stay night, personally I couldn’t find regular one anywhere so went down that order
Being human is making mistakes.
Aug 6, 2022 5:54 PM

Aug 2020
Ikarus101 said:
DigiCat said:

Go fate zero, fate stay night unlimited blade works then heavens feel in order or regular fate stay night, personally I couldn’t find regular one anywhere so went down that order

Don't give this order to people
Zero is a spinoff the main story is composed only of 2006 UBW and HF just as the visual novel was
Watching zero first spoils you many twists in FSN and gives you the wrong impression of several characters
Aug 6, 2022 6:36 PM
Dec 2020
offcrack said:
Ikarus101 said:

Zero is a spinoff the main story is composed only of 2006 UBW and HF just as the visual novel was
Watching zero first spoils you many twists in FSN and gives you the wrong impression of several characters
zero introduces emiya’s father figure that gets half a second of screen time in stay night ubw and influences emiyas thinking by a lot still kinda important
Being human is making mistakes.
Aug 6, 2022 8:22 PM

Aug 2020
Ikarus101 said:
offcrack said:

zero introduces emiya’s father figure that gets half a second of screen time in stay night ubw and influences emiyas thinking by a lot still kinda important

Not like there's a better alternative if you want to see how the 4th war happened anyway
Visual novel gives a much better portrayal of kiritsugu though despite having him be the focus of a single digit number of scenes
Aug 6, 2022 11:45 PM

Mar 2020
DigiCat said:

If you want to avoid a "what is the watch order, where do I go from here?" scenario, play the visual novel. If you can't or just don't want to read it though go 2006, UBW, Heavens Feel, Zero

Aug 7, 2022 6:41 AM
Oct 2021
You you want to watch it for the order, then it’s

Fate stay night (2006 -> unlimited blade works -> heavens feel -> fate zero

Although the 2006 original version of fate stay/night is so bad. Ngl I was falling asleep to it multiple times, when I wanted to watch it. I only finished it for the watch order, which I wouldn’t even recommend, cuz it didn’t do much for me in that aspect. Just watch ubw -> hf -> fate/zero

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

1042 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2014

856 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 13, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

2751 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2014

903 by keynutil »»
Jan 29, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

1630 by SanessyAdversary »»
Jan 19, 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.