Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Post New Reply
Aug 29, 6:43 PM

crazy after a month of non stop backlash they have still not reverted it
NUMBER OF BANS: 0

Aug 30, 4:37 AM

CickNipolla said:

They are basically just waiting for people to stop complaining. MAL doesn't give a shit what the users want.
Modified by Narmy, Aug 30, 3:18 PM

Aug 30, 9:17 AM

SaeLiuS said:
It is late but people still are talking about this, so I'm going to add that I think this review system is an improvement, so people can finally stop "hate reviewing" or trying to grab attention with reviews. Now the number of actual reviews will grow. Were are still missing a downvote option though.
And what "actual reviews", exactly? Those poor quality subjective ones?

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi

Aug 30, 2:35 PM

kitsune0 said:
SaeLiuS said:
It is late but people still are talking about this, so I'm going to add that I think this review system is an improvement, so people can finally stop "hate reviewing" or trying to grab attention with reviews. Now the number of actual reviews will grow. Were are still missing a downvote option though.
...and you clearly didn't either read any of the replies here or checked how the already written reviews are holding. If anything, people will continue to do so-called "hate reviews" (hint: a negative review is also a legit review) with multiplied efforts. Because now other people use "Confusing" and "Funny" as negative reactions, but it will elevate reviews anyway. So, yeah, the number of reviews absolutely will grow, but hate (intended) to break it to you, it won't be the reviews you consider as so-called "actual" (hint: there is no potential reviews, every review is actual). So yes, we need a negative option, or reviews will turn into a clown show.

Yeah, I didn't read anything. Honestly, I don't care that much to be wasting my time on that. I was a bit imprecise though, with "hate review" I meant people that don't like a very specific point, for example, then proceed to rate the anime with a 1 and write a book about how bad it was, even though the series is one of the top 10 best rated. I mean, you can dislike it, obviously, not everyone likes everything the same, but no one is going to believe that 1. The previous review system is just a window to rant about something and get attention.

The old review system, if properly used, is better than the actual one that's for sure. But only if properly used, in that regard the new one is better to take the motivation away from ranters, as you can write a book about not liking a certain anime, but your rating is just "not recommended" hahaha.

Well like I said, I don't care that much, and probably won't come back to read or write another reply about this topic, y already wasted enough time. Good luck, bye bye

Aug 30, 2:39 PM

Natsuki_SanJuan said:
SaeLiuS said:
And what "actual reviews", exactly? Those poor quality subjective ones?

Refer to my other reply, the one above this actually. Bye.

Aug 31, 6:16 AM
I hate MAL reviews but jesus is this somehow infinitely worse.

Aug 31, 7:39 PM

Pray a mod or admin sees this.

It would be amazing if we could get not helpful option because gasp, people have differing opinions. I know that many people would like to show their disapproval in a different way then just a confused emoji. Maybe similar to AniList where you have rating freedom and can implement any type of rating on helpfulness. Anyone in charge that reads this, thank you for your time. 🙏

side note: holy crap, anilist has a thumbs down option in their reviews.

Sep 1, 7:37 AM

Why even rehaul the entire system when we all know that the only reviewer in this site is @Stark700 and all the other reviews are just his alt to make his main acc reviews look better?

Sep 1, 9:23 AM
Anymore stupid changes?
The hell is this?! Are you trying to please kids under 8 years?
Are you taking lessons from Facebook on how to make things worse and improve things (which you think is improving) which don't need that at all?
It's all so stupid, but I doubt you're gonna listen anyway.
Facebook did it, Instagram did it, YouTube did it and now it's you. I don't know if you're completely ignorant or you just don't care for the users. Millions of users, yet you think that your decision is only the right one cuz you're the developers.
How about another good suggestion - Why not remove the Recommend or Not Recommended option as well and ratings below 6? Would help creators to earn some extra money so you also get payed by them for your help and contribution in promoting the material?!

Sep 1, 9:29 AM
CickNipolla said:

Like they actually care. These big organizations, communities are the same and becoming the same. Once they become very popular (here, Covid helped many of them and MAL is one of them), they start thinking that now no one can affect them in any way so why would they care for users anymore?!

They are in the hopes that soon it will be forgotten anyway. The stupid Facebook, Instagram, YouTube etc. all did it. MAL beat the recent YouTube stupidity!!

Sep 1, 9:33 AM
People crying that "How will we able to express disagreement over a review!"

You just ignore it weirdos. Now I am sure if a review doesn't sit well with your taste, you're obviously gonna try something funny. Great. Power to the "HATE"

Sep 3, 12:15 PM
I genuinely thought this site was pretty cool for still having a very 'classic' internet feel in an era where everything is trying to imitate fb, insta, twitter and the like.
Shame to see you go in this direction, especially as, from experience with other sites "updating" their UI against all pushback they get from their userbase, you likely aren't going to roll these changes back out of simple pride and because it would be too awkward to admit you made a mistake, even knowing that the criticisms in this thread are, for the most part, in good faith and more than valid.

I'd be happy if you were to prove me wrong.

Sep 4, 3:41 PM

Nah, this new "upgrade" only made reviews worse - not being able to see the given score until you hit "Read more" just makes them super inconvenient.
Adding "reactions" are not helpful as well.

But the worst part is annoying pop-ups asking me to rate an anime every time I add watched episode...
Most of the time I only rate series once I complete (or drop) them, so would be great having an option to turn this "feature" off by default, not individually for each anime.

Overall, I'd say these changes more look like a downgrade imho.

Sep 6, 5:15 PM

MAL I'm seriously tired of this new worded system for reviews. I want to at the very least see the number score without having to expand the review. This really sucks.

Sep 6, 6:10 PM
I haven't been using mal like I had been using because of the rating system. It became so stupid not an improvement, in fact I started considering using another platforms because of this bad rating system. You don't want to listen to people nor even put an option for people to freely choose the old rating system or not. I don't think I will last a lot by those new changes in the upcoming months.
AccountKiller

Sep 6, 7:50 PM

lol I can't even sort by "Most Helpful" anymore, only sort by "votes" (which includes "funny" "confusing" etc.) and sort by newest oldest. They even got rid of the weighted\unweighted sort. But hey, it has emoji now! I've been using this website for more than a decade and this is without a single doubt the absolute most stupid thing I've seen them do. This has made the review system completely unusable in every imaginable way. I want to use the review system to read relevant reviews that most people found helpful. Why else would there be reviews? The only reason to look at the reviews of any anime now is if you're just bored and you want to read some completely random reviews.

Sep 7, 5:59 AM

I might as well add my two cents, I guess. This whole emoji thing -- it's embarrassing. Seriously, using it makes me feel like a child (not in a good way) and it makes me feel like MAL also thinks I'm a child who would want to use this MySpace level tech. I'm legitimately insulted.

Also, PLEASE bring back number scores. This new way is just dumb.
Quality Queen.

Sep 8, 3:04 PM
Can this godawful change be reverted already. The only part of reviews that actually mattered was the score and now we don't even have that.

Sep 15, 2:32 AM
Logged in to my account just to say how utter dogshit this update is. This is on par with the recent YouTube overhauls and you cannot convince me otherwise. However, unlike YouTube, MAL does have competitors. Reviews and stacks were pretty much the only reasons why I visited this site despite taking all of my data to AniList completely. But now that I need 4 extra clicks to skim through the same amount of information, I would rather stick with the dead community on AniList with their functioning dislike buttons on reviews (until they become another meme in a decade when they get too big for their own good just like MAL, that is). Y'all can continue to use this shit excuse of a site with the interface from 2003 while screaming "reeeeeee just ignore the disagreements".

Sep 15, 12:24 PM
Review Moderator
It's nice to be able to see who reacted to your review, some people were a surprise since I did not think they liked my reviews at all lol.

Sep 15, 2:50 PM

Please return the review system to how it used to be.

Sep 16, 6:13 PM
Could you at least make it to where "Confusing" reactions aren't counted when ranking reviews? Right now all feedback is just counted as helpful on mobile. On both mobile and desktop, the review with the most reactions are pushed to the top. But in my opinion, if most of the reactions are "Confusing" that doesn't make the review helpful. A recent example is this https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=457548.

Sep 19, 4:42 PM

Lots of troll reviews became top reviews just because many people don't know that confusing/funny is an upvote 😂

Sep 22, 12:51 AM
Overlord
This update sucks dicks and is easily the worst update ever.

Thanks MAL staff, your ideas suck ass and you should feel bad about them.

Sep 22, 8:44 PM

So, are there any news on the "Suggested" sort? It was reverted because of bugs, but it has been nearly two months, and it's still gone. I was expecting it to come back before the Summer 2022 season ended, but it didn't come back.

Sep 22, 8:46 PM

The current review system is garbage but the old one was even worse. Conclusion: Reviews on MAL continue to suck. Just disable them completely at this point.

Sep 24, 5:39 AM

Now clicking on ‘the latest anime reviews’ redirects you to 'the most helpful reviews' instead of ‘the latest reviews.’ If it is intended, it is a huge mistake. Or am I missing something? Nvm, I am blind.
Modified by Grusomhed, Sep 24, 5:45 AM

Sep 24, 5:55 AM

TheMAM said:
MAL I'm seriously tired of this new worded system for reviews. I want to at the very least see the number score without having to expand the review. This really sucks.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2044881

This might be helpful for you.

Sep 24, 1:01 PM

So far with this update I've seen only two things happening:

1. Positive reviews getting a lot of "positive" reactions, no matter if they are poorly written or just trolling. See Cyberpunk Edgerunners reviews

2. Negative reviews getting mostly "confusing" and "funny" reactions, even if the reviews are actually well-written, and give more exposition to unfounded hate reviews. See Call of the Night reviews

In both cases is hard to separate good and bad reviews, this is just appealing to embrace positivism and ratio-ing any trace of criticism. Reviews section has become a literal circus. I don't really think that was your idea when you said this new system was meant to "allow review readers to give different types of feedback to the review writer beyond 'helpful' "

Sep 25, 10:43 PM
Marinate1016 said:
Mangaman162 said:
wrong be gone troll

The irony of calling someone a troll after writing out a one sentence reply of drivel.

OR responding to a one sentence quote = Troll

Sep 28, 10:35 AM
at least yu can see the rating at the end of the review LOL

Sep 28, 10:23 PM

What makes this review informative https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=453539 and why this review is not https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=454328?

Like, do you need ‘x number of informative votes’ to make your review informative, or something?

Yesterday, 11:43 AM
This is a bad update. For example, using 'Recommended' to reflect a score of 7-10? There's already a large perceived difference between 7 and 8 score wise, let alone 7 and 10. This system make the UX worse by having more clicks to see the actual score where none were needed before and making the scoring system much more vague. Each score already had a word to describe the numerical score, this just make is more vague.

Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» Design Contest Winners! MAL Bunkasai 2022 🎉

Kineta - Yesterday

22 by Roch2001 »»
19 minutes ago

» Anime List Notes: Easily share thoughts with friends ( 1 2 )

Kineta - Sep 26

61 by fausifahrial »»
7 hours ago

» [Update Sept 16] MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Fall 2022

Kineta - Sep 14

35 by Verdandy »»
Yesterday, 9:51 PM

» MAL Bunkasai 2022 is Open! ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Sep 8

107 by shekeypoo »»
Sep 28, 9:38 AM

» Custom About Me Design Themes