Forum Settings
Forums

[Update Aug 17] Account Renewal Project: Planned 10hr Maintenance, Wed Aug 17

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 6, 2022 3:54 PM

Mar 2022
Kineta said:
We would like to inform everyone that a 10 hour maintenance window has been scheduled for August 17, 2022 between the hours of 12AM to 10AM PDT. You can also see this in your local time zone using this link.

Please note that the maintenance will affect both the website and our apps.

This maintenance is required for the release of our new account infrastructure, which is the first major release in MyAnimeList's backend renewal project. The only noticeable difference from a member perspective will be a new account settings page, which will open on a different URL from before.

If you currently have TFA enabled, please note that you will need to re-enable TFA again after the maintenance period is over.

? Will this affect any current members (users) or just people signing up?
So if we already are a member(user) and wait the time for MAL to go back to normal nothing will affect us. This will ONLY affect people signing up?
Or is this a thing to remove accounts that are bots?
BellaceAug 6, 2022 3:58 PM
[/url]
Aug 7, 2022 5:41 PM
Aug 2022
I would really like if the app has an dark
Mode. I'm looking forward for the new updates though. :)
Aug 7, 2022 6:34 PM

Oct 2021
i dont understand, do i just need to turn tfa on before aug 17th?

Aug 8, 2022 2:47 AM
Aug 2021
Too good
Aug 9, 2022 6:02 PM

Dec 2014
deg said:
more security is always welcome

will this update the banning system somehow too? like partial banning? for example "youre banned from posting on the forums" but you can still use other features of the website

and maybe add 2 username feature? one username for the login and one for the community username like forums?

Honestly those are very good feature requests that I haven't even considered. I'd love different usernames tbh
Aug 9, 2022 10:56 PM

Aug 2021
Hopefully this new update of myanimelist bans trolls, toxic people and especially elitists on forums forever
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2022 11:45 PM
Jul 2021
Do you lose some progress?
Do you have to put things back again?
Aug 10, 2022 5:47 AM

Nov 2021
deg said:
more security is always welcome

will this update the banning system somehow too? like partial banning? for example "youre banned from posting on the forums" but you can still use other features of the website

and maybe add 2 username feature? one username for the login and one for the community username like forums?
MAL would never do that, coz it requires brain and the devs don't have it

Aug 10, 2022 1:01 PM
Apr 2021
You guys should make an update where we can rank anime within the same number score. It would basically ask you to choose between two anime you gave the same score over and over until it had all your anime ranked. It would give more information on which anime people like.
Aug 10, 2022 1:03 PM
Apr 2021
Kasra092 said:
I hope they change the old score system

most top sites like Netflix and steam use "yes" or "no" and the rating system from 0 to 10 is a disaster in 2022 and make users an endless fight to keep their entry in the top
I VERY much disagree with you. The rating are the entire point of the website. If we could only choose between thumbs up or thumbs down I would leave to go to a different site.
Aug 10, 2022 2:21 PM
Sep 2020
Waiting for fairy Tail 100 years quests ❤️❤️
Aug 11, 2022 12:23 AM

Sep 2010
Kasra092 said:
Ketsura said:

lmao, what

if anything this website should allow ppl rate stuff in more ways than 1 to 10, just like AniList does, not remove the score for something that will lead to a bad change.

Also, Netflix just needs to know if ppl like the show to give new seasons, make spin-offs, etc, this is a user list, putting a yes or no that will lead to disaster, because you cant simplfy everything in yes or no

yes, we can't simply put everything on yes or no but do you have a better idea for voting entries in 2022? I said this system is better compared to others and has been proven by used by many big companies like Netflix and... I didn't say that yes or no is perfect, my point is that's the best choice for myanimelist to use in 2022

it seems like you don't know how the 1 from 10 system is inefficient

last year, fruits basket got to number 4 in top animes by toxic fans (full story in youtube video you can watch with English sub)

How to be a Toxic Anime Fan? + Anyone Can Mess With Myanimelist's Scoring System + English Subs

even this animetuber to show how garbage this system is, requested from his fans to vote 10/10 for an unknown entry and they brought it from 6000 ranked to rank 12! (Unfortunately, the video is not English subbed so read the post down)

Regarding the score

a little community can mess a title in top rank so you can't say "yes or no" system is good... it's garbage and disaster

This was fixed long ago and is not possible anymore. Also how would a yes/no system prevent that? People would also mass vote yes. Sounds like a terrible idea overall.
Aug 11, 2022 11:34 AM
Aug 2021
So I did the requirements What should I do?
Aug 12, 2022 2:03 PM
Feb 2014
I hope for a dark theme o.o)v
My candies 2021:

My candies 2022:

My candies 2023:
Aug 13, 2022 4:36 PM
Oct 2017
Good Morning.

Any change that will improve the site will be welcome.
Aug 14, 2022 2:41 PM
Jul 2020
no please not anime i need anime don't do this to me i beg you
Aug 14, 2022 7:40 PM

Mar 2016
relentlezzz said:
no please not anime i need anime don't do this to me i beg you
I mean.... you can use notepad for a while, and search stuff on Wikipedia 🚶‍♂️

Signature layout designed by myself,
using Microsoft Office PowerPoint and Paint.NET
Aug 14, 2022 7:48 PM

Mar 2016
Tyrone_sleep said:
Do you lose some progress?
Do you have to put things back again?
No, but it's advisable to export a backup before maintenance.

Why? Well, once MAL has "maintenance" and the service shutdown for a month iirc on 2018 or 2019 because some stuff happened.
If it's happened again, you have a snapshot of your library, and you can import it to another sites for anime tracking. Note, these site has different database listing, and some titles might not register yet.

Signature layout designed by myself,
using Microsoft Office PowerPoint and Paint.NET
Aug 14, 2022 9:12 PM
Jul 2021
Oh thx thx
Aug 14, 2022 9:39 PM
Jul 2021
I do not know why. why the maintenance coincided with the independence of Indonesia.
Aug 16, 2022 3:18 AM

Aug 2013
Kasra092 said:

most top sites like Netflix and steam use "yes" or "no" and the rating system from 0 to 10 is a disaster in 2022 and make users an endless fight to keep their entry in the top

Oh hell no.

If there is a change to the scoring system make it more detailed rather than more simple. A yes or no would ruin the favourites and lists of users.
Aug 16, 2022 9:58 AM

Feb 2020
Well, hope nothing gets messed up. I have ward duty tomorrow anyways, so I would be busy.

Just to be on safe side i will back it up on another anime listing site.
I personally love both changes to review and profile page designs. Hopefully non of those gets reverted back. Only thing is Profile page designs do needs further customization options and review enthusiast should learn to read reviews instead of relying on clout scores of review.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Aug 16, 2022 9:58 AM

Sep 2012
I honestly just want to add decimal points in rating an anime lol. Cause I keep a spreadsheet giving a score episode-by-episode as I watch a show so I usually end up with a lot of x.5s everywhere and I really want decimals so I don't have to round up/down the score.
Aug 16, 2022 10:05 AM

Jan 2009
Thanks for the banner message and the convenient link for the conversion ^^

A good reminder to export and backup the lists, which I've just finished now

Curious to see if the account infrastructure will make more privacy possible with profile conversations and/or more different settings when banning people. From the way things have been with the changes to the profile privacy settings and the fixing of the " 'Top Friends' remain in 'Top Friend' list even when you're removed by them"-bug that probably no one but me even noticed, it wouldn't surprise me if they fixed it in the upcoming maintenance. Though a bit of the fun gets lost if you cannot read other users' profile conversations any longer, but oh well
Aug 16, 2022 4:09 PM

Jun 2021
The link provided to check local time zones was rather confusing to me as I don't use PDT (I always find PDT annoying) and it also uses military time (I do know how to read/convert military time, though). This one is easier to use, just type your place or timezone.
Aug 16, 2022 11:44 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Thanks for letting us know! Do what ya do.
I chose the worst night to catch up on anime, ha hah! Oh well. Notepad throwback.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Aug 17, 2022 2:43 PM

Dec 2020
dear lord 😭😭
Aug 17, 2022 2:47 PM

Jul 2022
This didn't age well 💀
"A person who cannot give up anything, can change nothing."
Aug 17, 2022 2:48 PM

Feb 2020
Omg I can login and write something --- are we done yet? At least I can login again... So I'm taking that as a yes.

Just doing stuff over here.

Aug 17, 2022 2:51 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
We uh... we all good? All done? It's not going down for maintenance again, right?

Aug 17, 2022 2:54 PM

Sep 2010
Kyusetzu said:
Omg I can login and write something --- are we done yet? At least I can login again... So I'm taking that as a yes.
Swiggy said:
We uh... we all good? All done? It's not going down for maintenance again, right?

It will, the upgrade failed and was rolled back and they will schedule another maintenance. (Source Twitter)
Aug 17, 2022 3:00 PM

Feb 2020
I believe this is what is commonly referred to as a "bruh moment".
Aug 17, 2022 3:00 PM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
Finally.
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

Aug 17, 2022 3:02 PM

Aug 2017
Let me guess, there was an edge case that triggered a bug that was only obvious in prod?

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Aug 17, 2022 3:03 PM

Aug 2017
Well, at least the site is back.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 17, 2022 3:10 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
ateks said:
Kyusetzu said:
Swiggy said:

It will, the upgrade failed and was rolled back and they will schedule another maintenance. (Source Twitter)
Ah shoot. Oh well. Thanks for informing us. I wouldn't have thought to look on Twitter.

Aug 17, 2022 3:33 PM

Jan 2009
MAL should really consider having a beta test website
Aug 17, 2022 4:12 PM

Dec 2016
So all that for nothing? This site is a joke.
Aug 17, 2022 4:25 PM

Nov 2013

current MAL dev team after a hard day of failing to untangle years of spaghetti code
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 17, 2022 5:47 PM

Aug 2018
Updating anything account related can be a nightmare so I'm not surprised things didn't work out. Best of luck to the devs for round 2.
Friendly reminder to keep your list stored at 3 different places, I have a local copy & one on anilist that I update monthly.

Kasra092 said:

Netflix is a streaming service, a more apt comparison would be imdb which btw seems to have higher traffic than Netflix. Anyways I fail to see how a dichotomous rating system would prevent users from fighting over ratings....or any rating system for that matter.

Kasra092 said:

yes, we can't simply put everything on yes or no but do you have a better idea for voting entries in 2022? I said this system is better compared to others and has been proven by used by many big companies like Netflix and... I didn't say that yes or no is perfect, my point is that's the best choice for myanimelist to use in 2022

You haven't really provided any evidence/reasoning for why a yes or no is better, big companies using it is not a valid justification. If we want to cherry pick then I can mention Amazon's rating system or as mentioned above for more similar areas then taking inspiration from Imdb and Anilist would be better.
xLoopAug 17, 2022 5:51 PM
<Insert clever quote>
Aug 18, 2022 1:00 AM

Dec 2018
All this drama and effort only to end in a roll back lol
Aug 18, 2022 4:22 AM
Feb 2015
MAL really is a joke huh jeez what a waste of time
Aug 18, 2022 7:37 AM

Jan 2009
So all that just to introduce some ReCaptcha bot protection
Didn't manage to login, but it seems like the profile ID URL linking system stayed the same even during the time of the failed update

PwnZ said:
This didn't age well 💀
Yes, they planned, patched and failed 💀

Monochrosanity said:
All this drama and effort only to end in a roll back lol
I guess a good part of the downtime was spent on doing an up-to-date backup and to revert to it in the end. Still sounds quite bitter for the technical staff that pretty much worked through the night on it

deg said:
MAL should really consider having a beta test website
I believe they have, but it apparently cannot simulate the actual traffic load through large numbers of logins at once. Probably some back-end optimization and/or more server capacities are needed:

"Due to the high volume of login requests just now, a critical problem was found which resulted in many members being unable to login successfully."

https://twitter.com/myanimelist/status/1559995333605822464
Aug 18, 2022 8:14 AM

Jan 2009
@Noboru

their beta testing should be more open to higher tester count then like where is our invite to the beta? lol
Aug 18, 2022 8:59 AM

Jul 2019
mfw mal devs
Aug 18, 2022 9:42 AM

Jan 2009
deg said:
their beta testing should be more open to higher tester count then like where is our invite to the beta? lol
Not sure if a couple more MAL users would suffice, but it would be a nice idea to actually have some users see and test some functions first before they get rolled out. I'd vote for you to become a beta tester ^^
Aug 18, 2022 9:43 AM

Jan 2009
Noboru said:
deg said:
Not sure if a couple more MAL users would suffice, but it would be a nice idea to actually have some users see and test some functions first before they get rolled out. I'd vote for you to become a beta tester ^^

lol i vote for all active forum users to be beta testers that includes you obviously
Aug 19, 2022 1:18 PM

Jan 2021
And they didn't even change a single thing. Lol.
Roxy

Aug 22, 2022 3:19 AM

Jul 2010
So what has changed? I don't see any changes to something
May be some anime?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Destinesia »»
37 minutes ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

200 by BasilZero »»
Yesterday, 5:27 PM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3341 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.