Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 29, 2022 10:47 AM

Aug 2018
For some strange reason, every time a people talk about the yandere trope, the one character that they both always mention and always include pictures of is Yuuno Gasai. I don't know why, but it's obligatory to not only mention her, but to also include a picture of her.

The people who do so claim that it's because Yuuno is something to the effect of 'the perfect example of a yandere', but I don't see how that would be the case. She wasn't the first ever anime yandere (Yukako from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable was created years before Future Diary), nor is she the most famous yandere (Miss from Death Note is far more famous), so why do people treat Yuuno as if she's both the first ever yandere and the most famous yandere?
Jul 29, 2022 10:52 AM
Aug 2021
she's very attractive and thats pretty cool.
StaciasJul 29, 2022 11:01 AM
Jul 29, 2022 10:55 AM

Jun 2016
She's from a popular series and has more exaggerated yanderisms than the characters mentioned in OP.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 29, 2022 11:01 AM
Dec 2018
she's the first one "popular", i think
Jul 29, 2022 11:19 AM
Jan 2021
she's attractive, very very yandere, came from a super popular show, and also (my theory) the people who's tastes align to like future diary, typically like yanderes
Jul 29, 2022 11:26 AM
Mar 2021
I think for me and a lot of people who got into anime in the early 2010s, she was the first yandere we saw plus she was cute
Jul 29, 2022 11:27 AM
Jun 2021
she’s the most popular yandere i think
Jul 29, 2022 11:28 AM
Mar 2016
It was my first or most memorable exposure to the term yandere. I believe it prompted me to look it up and that’s how her character archetype was described. Also saw boobs too from the anime. People remember dumb stuff for dumb reasons. I also don’t watch a lot of shows that would have yanderes so I’m safe.
Jul 29, 2022 11:30 AM
Jun 2020
While Yuno wasn't the first, she was the first actual yandere to be popularized. Yukako from JJBA was a minor character in a larger story (plus the anime for part 4 came like 5 years after the Mirai Nikki). Misa was also a supporting character and was made to be unlikable, so her popularity didn't take off when the anime released, rather she's had a resurgence in recent years, and even then, a lot of people don't see her as a true yandere.
What makes Yuno different is that she was not only the secondary main character (with a lot of the plot revolving around her), she was also portrayed in a different light than the previous two. Yuno has much more screen time/character development and gets her happy (convoluted) ending, which makes her story more memorable than say Yukako's or Misa's.
Also, Yuno is very recognizable and easy to remember. Pink haired ponytailed girl with a school uniform and an axe. One trait that makes anime characters very popular is their simple and recognizable design. The last thing Yuno has going for her is how exaggerated of an archetype she is. She plays both the "yan" and the "dere" to their extremes, again making it more likely you'll remember her.
TLDR: Yuno was the main character, had a recognizable design, and she went above and beyond as a yandere character.
Jul 29, 2022 11:36 AM
Jun 2021
I love Yanderes so I love Yuno. Pretty simple. She has the best stares and Yandere like attitude
Jul 29, 2022 11:38 AM
Sep 2020
she went so far to have her way with Yuuki. Especially when you think about if you watch the ending of Mirai Nikki
Jul 29, 2022 11:51 AM

Aug 2018
I think it has to do with her overall look and how “over the top” she is that makes her stand out against the rest.
Jul 29, 2022 12:12 PM
May 2021
Saori_Shun said:
For some strange reason, every time a people talk about the yandere trope, the one character that they both always mention and always include pictures of is Yuuno Gasai. I don't know why, but it's obligatory to not only mention her, but to also include a picture of her.

The people who do so claim that it's because Yuuno is something to the effect of 'the perfect example of a yandere', but I don't see how that would be the case. She wasn't the first ever anime yandere (Yukako from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable was created years before Future Diary), nor is she the most famous yandere (Miss from Death Note is far more famous), so why do people treat Yuuno as if she's both the first ever yandere and the most famous yandere?

she killed a shit ton of people
Jul 29, 2022 12:26 PM

Jul 2020
I feel like Misa from Death Note is actually far less popular than Yuno. I mean, even people who don't watch anime have seen Yuno on the Internet in memes or whatever, like, I know people irl who don't watch anime but when they saw my phone wp with Yuno holding an axe they were like "oh, idk who this girl is but I've seen her so many times".
Jul 29, 2022 12:27 PM
Jun 2021
Saori_Shun said:

Yuno isn’t the first yandere, but she has an exaggerated behavior.

Mirai Nikki bet everything on this aspect and shows a large number of scenes about her being a Yandere,
other Anime don’t show as much as Mirai Nikki, therefore her traits are the most popular
Jul 29, 2022 1:02 PM
Jul 2020
bitch went crazy for a dick she time traveled
Jul 29, 2022 1:52 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Compare to Misa from Death Note or Yukako from JoJo, Yuno is way more brutal and obsessive. She's not the first yandere to be created but is the first yandere to be widely recognized. The term "yandere" likely seems to only become famous after the introduction to her. Basically, it's the same thing as Hatsune Miku is the ultimate vocaloid.
Jul 29, 2022 1:53 PM
Jun 2020
She’s most people’s first impression or introduction to an actual yandere.
Jul 29, 2022 1:54 PM

Aug 2018
isn't she basically the only one? I don't know how an entire dere archetype can be founded on one sole character but here we are.
Jul 29, 2022 2:02 PM
Eggz
Sep 2020
I’m guessing she was a lot of folks first Yandere.
Jul 29, 2022 3:01 PM
Feb 2021
Because she fucking sucks
Jul 29, 2022 4:29 PM
Mar 2022
She is one that most people remember because a lot of people watched the future diary when they were young, and because she/the anime got popular pretty quickly
Jul 29, 2022 4:29 PM
Jun 2022
Cause she embodies the qualities of a Yandere more than most other Yanderes. Fame and being first have nothing to do with it. It’s really about how characters act that make them “Yandere Queen”. Is she the best written? In my opinion yes but others may have found Yanderes that are either under appreciated or no one has even heard of that could be better. Another reason might have something to do with her backstory. That part makes Yuno so much more compelling and interesting, and actually explains why she acts the way she does. Not saying other Yanderes don’t do this, but she’s one of the most notable and interesting. You could also argue Misa Amane also had a compelling backstory, but her backstory was only explored in one scene, versus Yuno who had multiple episodes. Not saying that Misa’s backstory is bad or not interesting, it’s just not given as much time as Yuno’s. At the end of the day, there isn’t necessarily a “definite Yandere” that trumps all others, it just so happens that most people recognize her because of all the crazy shit she does. (For example kidnap and lock up her loved one “to protect him” which is obviously fucked but that’s what makes her interesting.) Hope this helped.
Jul 29, 2022 4:54 PM
Jun 2021
She went farther than any other yandere (that I have heard of) just to be with her love. She has done crazy things literally became a god and go back to a time where her love was alive just to see him again. That’s why I think she’s the yandere that everyone thinks of when they hear the word “yandere.”
YeosinMay 6, 2023 9:23 PM
Jul 29, 2022 5:28 PM
Dec 2021
Along with a lot of the comments written, I also think it’s important to remember the *ICONIC* moment that ended Ep 1. It was super memorable and the perfect hook to end the first episode of a series, and we the viewers were left with mouths agape (I assume based on the number of Mirai Nikki stans).

As a character, she has really good development throughout the show, but also from Ep 1, we understood who Yuno is: someone who would literally do anything, no matter how depraved, for Yuki, and she didn’t disappoint. I think giving us a taste of her madness straight away—and doing it in such an over-the-top way—solidified her position as queen yandere in so many hearts.

Also, she was a straight killer lol.

To your point about Misa, she doesn’t hit the same for several reasons. 1) Death Note has a more serious tone and the animation style is gritty, which grounds the show more in reality—Mirai Nikki has a totally different tone and style that’s perfect for a yandere type to run amok, 2) Misa was introduced later in the series so there’s less of an attachment to her I’d argue, and 3) Death Note as a show is so much bigger than Light and Misa. In the grand scheme of things, Misa was a subplot while Yuno and Yuki are the main event.
gami_kamiJul 29, 2022 5:48 PM
Jul 29, 2022 6:15 PM
Apr 2022
In my opinion it is because of the concept of her character rather than what she does. There are plenty of more ruthless or cunning Yanderes, but whereas a lot of them were always Yandere, Yuno was once a delicate, sensitive girl. Without spoiling anything, the explanation as to why she is the way she is brings a lot of depth and empathy to the character compared to other characters that just “love character A no matter what, and will do anything to protect their love”. I can’t really see anyone being a better concept of a Yandere than her, without being a complete psycho with no backstory. But even then, Yuno as a character is really well conceived, so she’s a really interesting character with a lot more motives to dissect besides just wanting to kill anything that stands in her way.
thunderkitten13Jul 30, 2022 2:03 AM
Jul 29, 2022 10:12 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
Death Note is more popular than Mirai Nikki, but Misa isn't more popular than Yuno. Not to mention the knife swinging, blood covered Yuno is more likely to scream "yandere" than the much less violent Misa.

In terms of firsts I'd argue that Shinobu from Oniisama e is the first yandere but that's subjective I guess
Jul 29, 2022 11:37 PM
Jun 2021
Maybe because of First Exposure and she's kind hot
Jul 30, 2022 4:30 AM
May 2022
When the word "yandere" is mentioned, what comes to mind is yuno, not misa or another character. Yuno's reminds me more of a yandere than others.

Maybe it's because Yuno looks more attractive and cruel than the others
Jul 30, 2022 5:52 AM
Apr 2022
I think it's because when Mirai Nikki was released, particularly in Japan, there was some enormous hype about Yanderes (popularized by School Days and others..). And the show got very popular too in Occident where this ''yandere hype'' didn't existed, so a lot of people discovered yandere through the character of Yuno and remember her as the ''Yandere Archetype'' as well. Also she's beautiful.
Jul 30, 2022 9:50 AM
May 2022
She time travels just to be again with the guy she's obsessed with
Jul 30, 2022 4:19 PM
May 2022
Because she was among the first to popularize the trend. Because of that, you can kinda consider her the mother of all yandere characters. Majority of yandere characters are based on her. The genre / archetype was built in large part thanks to her. Whether she's actually the 1st yandere, I dunno. But most people weren't really aware of it til she appeared.

Has nothing to do with being attractive like some of the other comments are suggesting.

She simply was one of the first. In specific, it was extremely rare to see that archetype in the female main heroine of a shounen / seinen romance series. It was a new fresh take on the genre during its time. Similarly to how Higurashi no naku Koro ni was quite fresh in its twist on the romance harem genre.

But again, whether they were actually the first to do this, I don't know -- but that's how they're treated both in and outside of Japan by a large portion of the otaku / weeb audience.
Jul 31, 2022 6:06 AM
Aug 2021
Because she is very beautiful but very crazy too, I guess
Jul 31, 2022 7:44 PM
Apr 2022
This is going to be my first every post on this site, however I love that show, so I need express my option. Why people describe Yuuno as the an excellent example of Yandere is that the whole show revolves around her wanting to be with Yukiteru, and will to prove that to anyone. Yuuno killed anyone that was getting in the of her “Yuki.” She was winning to kill her lover for the chance of living with him forever in cycles until it was broken by Yuki, which he becomes the new “god,” with her. If I had to give a better example of a Yandere, it would be Satou Matsuzaka (from Happy Sugar Life), or Yomi Isayama (from Ga-Rei-Zero), they are all character willing to kill anyone (and the show revolves around that premise too), their lovers, or themselves for their ideal love. At least that is my opinion on the word Yan (sick/insane) - Dere (committed, infatuated) and which character ties into those characteristics.
Aug 1, 2022 12:24 AM
Jul 2021
Saori_Shun said:

watch the fucking anime and you will know
Aug 3, 2022 7:17 AM
May 2021
Her whole personality is being a yandere. other famous characters such as Misa actually have something more so they're not the perfect famous stereotype.
Sep 9, 2022 3:18 PM

Aug 2016
Because yandere is a garbage trope and Yuno encompasses the absolute worst aspects of it.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 9, 2022 3:25 PM

Apr 2020
Cause the Anime was hyped.

There were plenty more interesting Yandere, before Yuuno. The Yandere-Trope was just new to people and Yuuno was their entry.
Sep 9, 2022 3:36 PM

Apr 2020
anthrshttydy said:
Merve2Love said:
Cause the Anime was hyped.

There were plenty more interesting Yandere, before Yuuno. The Yandere-Trope was just new to people and Yuuno was their entry.

Except after all this time Yuno is still the most popular and relevant yandere in existence, so that must be saying something. You also say "There were plenty more interesting Yandere, before Yuuno." without providing any examples or proof and talking as if your subjective opinion is a fact. And as I said before, yandere is character type, not a trope.

1. Is she? How did you determine that as a fact?

2. When did you say what? I don't read anything you say, before I start writing, sorry.

3. It was a fact, cause there were Yandere characters existing long before Mirai Nikki came along. Fact. It's also a fact that I found many of them to be more interesting than Yuno. Fact.
Posting your opinion in the forums will always be subjective. Fact.

Sep 9, 2022 3:56 PM

Apr 2020
anthrshttydy said:
Merve2Love said:

1. Is she? How did you determine that as a fact?

2. When did you say what? I don't read anything you say, before I start writing, sorry.

3. It was a fact, cause there were Yandere characters existing long before Mirai Nikki came along. Fact. It's also a fact that I found many of them to be more interesting than Yuno. Fact.
Posting your opinion in the forums will always be subjective. Fact.

Just google the word yandere and see which character comes with the most results, assuming you are capable of doing that, which I doubt. Also, I see lots of whining and coping on your side yet nothing concrete as proof or example to back up your claims, you said "plenty more interesting yandere", you didn't say "plenty more yandere that I find interesting" , there is a difference, plenty means more than at least 10 btw, so let's see those plenty yandere names. Now, let me try posting like you, You are salty because I refuted your baseless claims. FACT.

So the way you determine who's the most "relevant" Yandere is typing his/her Name into google? Okay, I was just asking.

Why would I whine about anything? I just gave my opinion on the topic. I answered OP^^ You're the one defending something Im not even attacking. Nothing more. Sorry, if I upset you. Im not salty. All good, on my side. Don't worry.

Also the word "plenty" now means 10 or more? Should I google this again? Pretty sure that's not the actual definition.... Although there ARE 10 other Yandere out there, you know^^

Here's an example that is an actual fact AND tied to MaL:

Yuno is in the favorite Characters of 28526 User, here on MaL

Hitagi Senjougahara is in the favorite Characters 39256 User, here on MaL

Both are Yandere.

I'd say it's at least debateable if Yuno really is the most relevant Yandere ever or not.
Maybe you're just right about subjective opinions, tho. Maybe I shouldn't give my two Cents and just read up on your take instead, next time. Maybe Im just salty...about...uh....something.

Sep 9, 2022 4:27 PM

Apr 2020
anthrshttydy said:
Merve2Love said:

So the way you determine who's the most "relevant" Yandere is typing his/her Name into google? Okay, I was just asking.

Why would I whine about anything? I just gave my opinion on the topic. I answered OP^^ You're the one defending something Im not even attacking. Nothing more. Sorry, if I upset you. Im not salty. All good, on my side. Don't worry.

Also the word "plenty" now means 10 or more? Should I google this again? Pretty sure that's not the actual definition.... Although there ARE 10 other Yandere out there, you know^^

Here's an example that is an actual fact AND tied to MaL:

Yuno is in the favorite Characters of 28526 User, here on MaL

Hitagi Senjougahara is in the favorite Characters 39256 User, here on MaL

Both are Yandere.

I'd say it's at least debateable if Yuno really is the most relevant Yandere ever or not.
Maybe you're just right about subjective opinions, tho. Maybe I shouldn't give my two Cents and just read up on your take instead, next time. Maybe Im just salty...about...uh....something.

It's actually amusing to see trying to sell your your subjective opinion as a fact to avoid admitting you were wrong. Hitagi Senjougahara is not truly a yandere, she might have some yandere aspects but not quite there yet. Unlike her, there is no doubt about Yuno being a yandere though. So, saying "Both are Yandere." is not a fact, but an opinion. For further proof on the subject I will provide links, unlike you:

https://tsuntsun.fandom.com/wiki/Hitagi_Senjougahara
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/41zd9a/senjougahara_tsundere_kuudere_or_yandere/

And I perfectly know there are "10 other Yandere" out there , but we are discussing "10 other yandere" came before Yuno, which you did not name.

PS Last but not least, the correct spelling of the word is debatable, not debateable.

Why do you feel like Im selling you something? Im just ... giving my own opinion^^ Just like you did, right?
I even said it's at least debateable. I didn't say that Im right or that you are wrong...
Why are you so condescending?^^ All good. We have different takes on the matter.

Hitagi_Senjougahara is a Yandere. Im sorry^^
We can agree to disagree :) But that IS a fact.
Sep 9, 2022 4:33 PM

Apr 2020
anthrshttydy said:
Merve2Love said:

Hitagi_Senjougahara is a Yandere. Im sorry^^
We can agree to disagree :) But that IS a fact.

After all this I see you are still trying to sell your subjective opinion as a fact. As I said before, I find it quite amusing.

That is the one thing I said that isn't subjective, tho^^
Sorry, again, If this makes you mad or...upset or something. That wasn't my intention.
Sep 9, 2022 4:47 PM

Aug 2016
anthrshttydy said:
You are edgier than a yandere girl holding a knife with a sharp edge. Yandere is a character type, not a trope btw.

Alright, yandere is a garbage character type*, there you go. Also, why would this be edgy? I'm just giving my opinion on something.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 9, 2022 4:53 PM

Apr 2020
-Ryu said:
anthrshttydy said:
You are edgier than a yandere girl holding a knife with a sharp edge. Yandere is a character type, not a trope btw.

Alright, yandere is a garbage character type*, there you go. Also, why would this be edgy? I'm just giving my opinion on something.

He reaaaally doesn't like that^^ Beware

More topics from this board

» Animes like Mirai Nikki?

Rovy62815 - Apr 22

23 by xXGoreGrinderXx »»
Yesterday, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Mirai Nikki (TV) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 19, 2012

305 by Salty_Cookie »»
Apr 21, 5:23 AM

Poll: » Mirai Nikki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 16, 2011

364 by Konyalianimekizi »»
Apr 20, 1:50 PM

Poll: » Mirai Nikki (TV) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 12, 2012

259 by Salty_Cookie »»
Apr 20, 6:27 AM

Poll: » Mirai Nikki (TV) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 5, 2012

326 by Salty_Cookie »»
Apr 19, 8:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.