Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 13, 2022 6:57 AM

Jan 2015
Oof, Made in Abyss never misses with the scenery. There’s some truly mesmerizing shots throughout the episode. Background artists went off on this one.

Really good episode. Our crew couldn’t catch a breath that they were already under attack. At least the food seemed to be tasty. Right, Nanachi? Lol cute
Some of the weird stuff is already starting to show. Nanachi’s and Riko’s hair stuffed in those creatures was kinda disgusting, especially because it was stuffed in the creature’s butt lol.

They seem to have finally reached the colorful village!
A weird shadow is following them.

Cuties!
Jul 13, 2022 6:58 AM

Nov 2011
You never know exactly what's down there in the 6th layer. Episode had this tense feeling that anything could happen especially when Rico and their group isn't alone.

I think episode also did a decent job at showcasing how to survive in such an environment. They would have to eat any type of food, no matter how strange it may be. Nanachi is also such an adorable character between the main three.

Jul 13, 2022 7:16 AM

Feb 2020
Decent OP and ED.

Really nice episode. Definitely better than the first one imo.

I love the world-building in this show. All those mysterious places they travel are so cool and interesting.

That hair scene was pretty disgusting. :C

SerafosJul 13, 2022 10:24 AM
Jul 13, 2022 7:39 AM

Apr 2016
See ? This is the part, this is what made this manga shine the most, just adventuring and exploring the abyss, discovering new life the deeper you go, dealing with the environment and or trying to survive in it ... And not getting stuck in some back ass village for half an eternity.

Also no pooping this week ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 13, 2022 7:52 AM

Aug 2020
Only one question I want to ask before I watch the ep :

Is it safe to watch the op ? Is there a risk of getting spoiled ?
Jul 13, 2022 8:00 AM

Aug 2020
Gosh, the ending theme is so good.
This is what an adventure anime should be. Exploring, discovering, surviving.
And the sceneries are god-like as always
DILF characters need more appreciation
Hot boys which are not Bishies also welcome
Jul 13, 2022 8:02 AM
Feb 2021
TweedleDane said:

No it is safe to watch the op
Jul 13, 2022 8:03 AM
Oct 2019
didn't look at the OP Visual, i'm scared of spoiler so just listen to it.

that thing still moved after boiled? ew so disgusting...

what are these mysterious creatures, i'm so curious.
Jul 13, 2022 8:09 AM

Jul 2011
I really like Reg and Nanachi, with their analysis specialties.

To be fair is expected the hatchling survive being boiled and fried, thermal vents are hotter than that.

The hair part was straight out of a terror movie.

Seeing Majikaja moving, makes me curious about the other important citizens move.
Jul 13, 2022 8:10 AM

Jun 2021
Those “eggs” when fried kinda reminded me of popplers from Futurama lol. I like that there are some nice comedic moments in this show to offset all the dark shit. The mail balloon part in this ep being an example. “Let’s just believe it’ll….” aaaand it’s gone haha.

Silliness aside, it looks like they’re not alone down here with the creatures. The creepy fuck didn’t just steal Prushka, they snuck in and clipped Nanachi and Riko’s hair and sewed it into the butthole of some critter. And Reg sniffed that shit. Dude really is like a dog, fits the name haha.

But man, the minute I saw that creepy cave with the human bits and all those creatures, I had a bad feeling. Seeing Majikaja and how “it” can talk and what was said at the end makes me think these were the humans that came down ages ago.
Jul 13, 2022 8:17 AM
Oct 2018
Only 2 episodes are out. already 8.75 score. This is MAL for you guys.
Jul 13, 2022 8:22 AM

Aug 2020
Cartoonlist said:
TweedleDane said:

No it is safe to watch the op

Aight thanks fella . Would have been a shame to have to just listen to a koide op
Jul 13, 2022 8:27 AM

Oct 2017
Quite a freaky episode. Starting with the creepy food and ending with that weird development. Are those the people from the backstory?
Jul 13, 2022 8:44 AM
Aug 2015
Holy fuck that very ending was out of no where and caught me by surprise. Stuff is about to get dark.
It seems that the mechanical guy is at least aware of Prushka. But I can't remember exactly who is she, I thought she was Meinya (who I don't remember who is she either)
Jul 13, 2022 8:46 AM
Jul 2017
the new opening made me need to sit down and pause it ( ≧Д≦)

was mesmerized thinking about how maybe riko reg and nanachi may have been the first people to ever eat that exact dish. how they couldn't follow her mother's recipe and ended up with something completely unique.

I'm warming up to majikajas animation too.
Jul 13, 2022 8:51 AM
Jul 2022
alright.... I think I'm ready...
Jul 13, 2022 9:03 AM

Jan 2020
Nice OP and ED.

I doubt I'd survive very long in this Abyss. The sight of those eggs they ate were rather eh. I guess beggars can't be choosers, but still.

These layers never get better, which I guess is the point. But between the exploding vents, and finding your own hair stuffed into dead creatures. This is a pretty bad area. That being said, despite the warning at the end, I can't imagine Riko losing her human form.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 13, 2022 9:08 AM

Nov 2016
Beautiful scenery, hidden dangers, disgusting looking food, funny creatures, we're fully back after the backstory episode.

Majikaja made me think of Cradily

Opening is pretty good again and that's saying something. The first one set the bar high after all. Ending by Myth & Roid is nice too. Give me Re:Zero vibes, but overall it lacks recognition value compared to the one from S1.
FMmatronJul 13, 2022 9:13 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 13, 2022 9:08 AM

Aug 2020
I loved the first episode, but the second one is even better. I've missed the explorers of Vuelko in this one, I wonder what happened with them, maybe they turned into these creatures of the sixth layer? idk what to think
Jul 13, 2022 9:13 AM

May 2019
All aboard the depression train!

If there is one thing I love about this show is the Abyss. Full of unique creatures, weird food, mesmerizing scenery, everything feels alive.

And oh boy, that creature who greets them at the village is kind of creepy to me. Is it just me?
Jul 13, 2022 9:13 AM
Jul 2015
Very much a ‘travelling to the next plot line’ episode which is a bit annoying. Mostly annoying because we gotta wait a week. Probably wouldn’t as big of an issue if I just waited and binged.
Jul 13, 2022 9:29 AM

Jul 2017
Probably an unpopular opinion but I like the opening for this season way more than the first one. The first one was good but I definitely prefer this new one, sounds and looks really good. Liked the MYTH & ROID ending here too quite a bit. Also prefer this way more than the original ED song for the first season.

The episode itself was slower and more of a transition, adventure type episode till the ending but I actually prefer these kinds of episodes from this series way more than whenever there's a major focus on the storytelling since I'm not a fan of that side of Made in Abyss whatsoever, as well as not being a fan of the character writing either. Just seeing the sixth layer be fleshed out visually even more for a majority of the episode with good production overall and an interesting cliffhanger like that was a lot simpler yet better for me than a good chunk of the previous episode.
Jul 13, 2022 9:45 AM

Jul 2021
The journey continues, I think you really have to pay attention to the character writing even if they aren't the best out there it's the most simple but effective yet for understanding their psychology, instead of wanting a fully fleshed-out adventure since Made in Abyss as a whole is all about trying to learn new things and bring tragedy when it is needed to provide a quite of realism and graphicness. This is a formulaic one since throughout the adventure, Riko and the crew have tried out exotic foods that are available in their own surrounding. Anyways though less of a mechanism episode but it's a wonderful setup with the variety of visual imagery and a showcase of them walking around to move forward to their adventure, it was indeed some tranquility. Btw OP of the season. Different sets of emotions were shown, with an interesting perspective and paralleling between Riko and her crew and The Three Sages and a fluid transition from Belaf's close-up to the start of an even immersive adventure! The ED alongside has some sort of identity that I can't really put some emphasis on because the lines in the visual are various sets of symbolism that could dive into the psychological aspect or dark atmospheric like "Calm before the storm", overall just beautiful as the lyrics and hymn goes on.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 13, 2022 9:47 AM
Oct 2021
damn bro what an amazing opening, I almost cried ngl
Jul 13, 2022 9:52 AM

Mar 2021
This season is doing a really great job reminding me why Made in Abyss is one of my favorite franchises. Such incredible scenery and such an intriguing world I can't wait for next week.
★・・・・・・★
If you wish to treat this incident as our nation’s scheme, that is fine by me. History is written by the victors. All of your false accusations will soon be erased.
★・・・・・・★

Jul 13, 2022 9:57 AM

Apr 2016
Will watch the full episode later, but watched the OP and ED; The first one is great, the music and visuals sinergy is nice and both fit the series positive and melancholic feelings. The later is okay imo.

From what I noticed, the OP IS SPOILER F REE FOR ANIME ONLIES that doesn't know anything that will happen in this arc. The only exception is
Who read the manga or know the events will probably get the context from most of its scenes.
Gustop1Jul 13, 2022 10:13 AM
Jul 13, 2022 9:57 AM
Jul 2022
Initial thoughts at the 4 min mark: I will be watching this season on .75x speed. Reading the subs really sucks, especially with MiA. There is way too much to absorb visually & aurally, it's a complete sensory overload. I am constantly rewinding scenes for these first two eps, so watching on a slower speed seems to make the most sense...

The primary thing that I've noticed & admired with this new season, is the camera work/cinematography (especially in this episode); it is the best that it has ever been.

Kojima has improved exponentially throughout the years. I have never been his biggest fan. Loved his work on the 1990 'Moomin' anime series, the Matsumoto OVA he did in 1998 ('DNA Sights 999.9') was cool, I liked 'Monster' well enough (although I find it to be slightly overrated..), and I was mildly compelled by what I saw from 'A Spirit Of The Sun' (still need to finish that miniseries), but I find his oeuvre to be quite weak/pedestrian overall.

In fact, I was somewhat disappointed when it was announced that he'd be helming MiA, and I found it to be an odd choice. I figured for sure that they'd tap Ryutaro Nakamura to direct, Ikuhara (I know that he tends to only work on his own original content) or even Koji Masunari... the elusive Mitsuo Iso was my personal dream choice to adapt the series....

However, assigning Kojima with the colossally daunting task of adapting this masterwork for the screen has proven to be a stroke of genius on the part of Kinema Citrus. He must have really sold them on his vision for the manga during those preliminary sit-downs. You can tell that he is genuinely a fan of the source content.

Kojima has truly come a long, long way, and has solidified himself as one of the top contemporary anime directors (not like he's got a whole lot of competition, but nevertheless...). I really noticed this during my viewings of the final season 1 episodes, and of 'DOTDS'; this isn't the same person that worked on ho-hum 80s sci-fi drab a la 'Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross'. I went from being highly concerned that he would turn MiA into a dull, pulpy mess, to not wanting any other director to touch the material. He has taken the source material & made it his own, in many ways....

Really intrigued to see where Kojima takes his career going forward. It isn't often that we see a director blossom & come into his own at a later stage of life.

I personally like Kaja's CGI design, and I like the sparse use of CGI overall. It was a ballsy move, but MiA is a ballsy entity, and I feel that the CGI adds some spicy depth to the aesthetic. The end of the opening credits, with the CGI Abyss, I found to be pretty visually arresting. Wasn't expecting that, and I dig it

The 6th layer looks spectacular. Pure Miyazaki; it's like Laputa Inverted. I *really* hope that we get to explore more of this environment over the next couple of manga chapters, because it would be criminal to just move onto the 7th without first further dissecting the 6th...
Jul 13, 2022 10:07 AM

Jun 2016
Anime openings rarely give me goosebumps but this one did, the song and visuals are amazing
Jul 13, 2022 10:08 AM

Oct 2014
What an unsettling episode, creepy as hell.
Jul 13, 2022 10:12 AM
Jul 2022
These subtitles.... wow. Why are they so off-kilter/horrible?
Jul 13, 2022 10:15 AM
Mar 2015
Take a good look at your future
Jul 13, 2022 10:18 AM

Jun 2015
Gotta say, out of everything we've seen in this show so far, nothing has grossed me out more than that thing's butt being ripped open and a bloody clump of hair coming out... Reminded me of a certain something Howie Mandel posted last week ಠ_ಠ

Jokes aside, I haven't felt this enthralled by the world of MiA since the last ep of season 1. The movie and ep 1 were great, but they were so gritty, I started wondering if everything was going to be gray and depressing/claustrophobic from now on, so I'm glad that's not the case. The CG wasn't bad, and the visuals seem on par with season 1 so far.
That last line gave me the chills... Can't wait for the story to kick into gear.
Jul 13, 2022 10:30 AM

Jul 2013
Good OP and ED. I think I may like the OP more than the first one. The butt ripping scene was beyond gross, thank god the didn't delve too much into it.
Majikaja's voice sounds so pleasant, I imagined him soundind like that.
Jul 13, 2022 10:31 AM

Jul 2014
Riko and Nanachi’s hair being sewn shut inside the butt of those creatures is the last thing I expected to see in today’s episode. But when I thought it wouldn’t get anymore weirder, they really ended it with the appearance of a creepy puppet creature and a bunch of other Hollows. Shits crazy.
Jul 13, 2022 10:32 AM

May 2020
that cliff hanger ending
damnnnnn
pretty disgusting seeing riko and nanachis hair stuffed in the creature's butts
and as always nanachis is just the cutest
cant wait for the next ep
Homura24Jul 13, 2022 10:36 AM

Jul 13, 2022 10:33 AM
May 2021
Made in abyss doesn’t fail to creep me the fck out 🙂
Jul 13, 2022 10:33 AM

Apr 2018
The 6th layer is a creepy place for sure. Huge monsters, smol monsters and creepy monsters. The background and visuals were on another level as always, can't complain about this aspect of the show. Well, they got hairly assaulted when they were sleeping. Time to look for who did it and they managed to find the place but there's a secret that they don't know. Humans can't keep their original form and I feel like the monsters there are the first group who arrived at the 6th layer.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 13, 2022 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
As always, the sound direction is amazing. i love both the op and ed too
Jul 13, 2022 10:37 AM
Mar 2016
Obscure_Otaku said:
damn bro what an amazing opening, I almost cried ngl
I did, took me off guard. I think it settled my fears about quality as a big fan, seeing the love put into the OP quelled any doubts.
Jul 13, 2022 10:55 AM

Jun 2016
the journey is begin !!

i loved this show !!
Jul 13, 2022 11:07 AM
Jul 2022
Holy gawd... can anyone else not believe that we are actually seeing Iruburu animated/come to life...? Kojima & his team seriously outdid themselves with this. I just can't believe that it's actually a palpable reality. A big part of me thought that we'd never get an animated continuation of the series. It feels very surreal.

The village & it's entire arc/lore has got to be one of the most f**ked things in this history of fiction.... It's like if Baum, CS Lewis, Leiji Matsumoto, & Hayao Miyazaki went on a prolonged crack & ketamine bender with Clive Barker & Yumeno Kyūsaku....
Jul 13, 2022 11:12 AM

Feb 2011
davidyodo24 said:
didn't look at the OP Visual, i'm scared of spoiler so just listen to it.

that thing still moved after boiled? ew so disgusting...

what are these mysterious creatures, i'm so curious.

OP has very minor spoilers but mostly relating too future character appearances and some relics. Other than that, not really.
【=◈︿◈=】セックス大好き... What can I say? 【=◈︿◈=】
Jul 13, 2022 11:23 AM
Jul 2022
ShadowMonkey said:
Gotta say, out of everything we've seen in this show so far, nothing has grossed me out more than that thing's butt being ripped open and a bloody clump of hair coming out... Reminded me of a certain something Howie Mandel posted last week ಠ_ಠ

Jokes aside, I haven't felt this enthralled by the world of MiA since the last ep of season 1. The movie and ep 1 were great, but they were so gritty, I started wondering if everything was going to be gray and depressing/claustrophobic from now on, so I'm glad that's not the case. The CG wasn't bad, and the visuals seem on par with season 1 so far.
That last line gave me the chills... Can't wait for the story to kick into gear.

the ironic thing, is that the 6th layer.the village did *not* come across this way in the manga. Everyone had the same concerns as you did, that this arc would be bleak & caked in grit/grimness. I am personally elated to see that that is not the case, and that was clearly not what Aikihito was going for with this arc in the manga. One of the many reasons why I prefer the MiA anime to the source material.
Jul 13, 2022 11:28 AM

Mar 2015
I am once again here to shill for Kevin Penkin. OP & ED are awesome, especially the ED love me some MYTH&ROID. And the OST when they were at the village entrance...so good.

Seeing all the villagers in color was pretty nice. Can't say I expected that color scheme for Majika but no complaints.

How did they make almost-hatched eggs look so delicious...you trying to get me to eat fried chick's?!
Jul 13, 2022 11:37 AM
Jul 2021
A lot better than ep1, I can’t wait for next week
Jul 13, 2022 12:00 PM

Apr 2018
DoubleR said:
Holy fuck that very ending was out of no where and caught me by surprise. Stuff is about to get dark.
It seems that the mechanical guy is at least aware of Prushka. But I can't remember exactly who is she, I thought she was Meinya (who I don't remember who is she either)

Prushka was Bondrewds daughter, if you remember the third movie, and Meinya was her pet.
“You are not alone, Ash. I am with you. My soul is with you.” - Eiji Okumura.
Jul 13, 2022 12:02 PM

Jan 2018
this week in Wholesome in Abyss, we got raw and alive kfc. Gordon Ramsay approves!
Great episode. Next episode will be quite a punch it seems.
Jul 13, 2022 12:04 PM

Dec 2017
DoubleR said:

Have you watched the third movie? It's the direct prequel to this season and absolutely relevant to the story. If you haven't already, definitely watch it!
Jul 13, 2022 12:10 PM
Feb 2022
I liked it because the episode shows that Riko's gang are exploring the golden city to get more information about this city and when they stop to rest someone steals some of Riko's stuff and they go after and find two animals with their asses sewn with threads of Riko and Nanachi's hair
Jul 13, 2022 12:15 PM
Jul 2022
DoubleR said:

...? wait, what? Did you not watch the movie..?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2022

258 by Toooooooooohru »»
Today, 10:25 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2022

404 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 13, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2022

138 by Toooooooooohru »»
Apr 12, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2022

300 by owonism »»
Mar 31, 11:20 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2022

206 by owonism »»
Mar 31, 5:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.