Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2022 2:41 PM

Jul 2011
Ryoma made a good decision to represent the USA team.
But I cant shake the feeling that he will turn, and represent Japan, the team which relegated him.
Jul 6, 2022 3:38 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
As someone who's watched all the prince of tennis episodes years ago and it was hella fun and exciting, i think this new one looks much different than the original series in general, it was nice seeing all the characters again but halfway through the episode, i just didn't really feel like the ssme anymore and felt like i was just forcing myself to watch it...the characters have undergone drastic personality changes...
And its again just Germany and USA being hyped up in another sports anime...like in reality they don't have anyone good since graff and agashi got married..and he lost all is hair...

i'm sure it'll be a fund and exciting season but i'm just not so exited, may be with age I want something like ao ashi which will show tactical aspects and actual plays instead of battle shounen slicing tennis balls and destroying walls

also that opening is being way to spoilerish. god look at all those pretty boys, it felt like a bl, like they are better off as kpop idols and male models than tennis players.. i wouldn't be surprised if lots of chicks watched this show

Jul 6, 2022 4:45 PM

Jul 2016
The production was constantly swapping between pretty good to okay, I hope it does well.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Jul 6, 2022 8:03 PM
Apr 2013
Prince of Tennis is back. Though for how many episodes who knows. Still a lot of questions up in the air.
The pre-release showed a ton of characters which they cant possibly(??) fit into a single cour. At the same time, while it has been a long time the last full season back in 2012 was only a single cour too.

Pacing is a bit weird for the first episode, but kinda to be expected since they're transitioning arcs right now again. Ryoma basically instantly got onto the usa team apparently because the rest of the candidates were pushovers, or maybe they just skipped over it because alas, time constraint.

It seems the main focus will be japan, usa, and germany, not entirely sure how they're gonna juggle this or the other countries.

I was definitely not expecting tezuka to make a return, but apparently it is. Things will probably fall into place over the next episode or two, but exactly how they're gonna handle the pacing for the whole thing remains to be seen.

As usual the ed is kinda flamboyant and bombastic in it's own way. I'm assuming** the op is a placeholder for some reason because its basically 100% just clips from the previous season.

As for the country selection and the format, well im hoping they'll tell us everything next episode so we dont have to keep waiting. Still, if they only have a single cour its going to be insanely rushed, team japan alone has so many people. And they have a middle school AND a high school team (Still feelsbad for everyone that got left behind)

Edit: One other interesting thing is how, we've basically never heard tezuka called by his first name (or anyone else for that matter, including ryoma) so its interesting to hear both germany and usa using first names.
CocoaGalaxyJul 7, 2022 11:11 PM
Jul 8, 2022 12:18 AM
Jul 2013
My favourite part of this episode were two things:

Oishi being nervous, then having a small panic when his ‘family’ got broken up, was very in character. When he found out Echizen is playing for USA and Tezuka for Germany, he looked so sad :( I didn’t understand how he made the team to begin with, but now I think I know why they need him there.

Echizen being the arrogant brat was FANTASTIC. I got so sick of seeing ‘good guy’ shonen protagonists, it was actually refreshing to see him beat up a bunch of players then ask to play someone ‘actually good’.

This series knows it’s audience, and isn’t really trying for appeal to new fans at this stage. For someone who has been following for 20 years, I appreciate that. Next episode has Fuji on the court, so I’m excited!
Jul 10, 2022 3:48 PM

Jul 2016
melissachansan said:
My favourite part of this episode were two things:

Oishi being nervous, then having a small panic when his ‘family’ got broken up, was very in character. When he found out Echizen is playing for USA and Tezuka for Germany, he looked so sad :( I didn’t understand how he made the team to begin with, but now I think I know why they need him there.

Echizen being the arrogant brat was FANTASTIC. I got so sick of seeing ‘good guy’ shonen protagonists, it was actually refreshing to see him beat up a bunch of players then ask to play someone ‘actually good’.

This series knows it’s audience, and isn’t really trying for appeal to new fans at this stage. For someone who has been following for 20 years, I appreciate that. Next episode has Fuji on the court, so I’m excited!

Echizen's personality was what made me watch POT, it's really refreshing, like you said. I think we will be seeing some romance IIRC in this season tho.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Jul 11, 2022 12:30 AM

Mar 2008
It's been so long that I have no idea wtf is going on but I don't care. Literally screamed the entire time I watched this. Tezuka and Atobe the LOVES OF MY LIIIIIIFE looks like I'll get to see them play next episode!
Sep 5, 2022 3:46 PM
Sep 2022
I liked this episode! It was good classic cocky ryoma beating up a ton of guys and earning a spot on team USA. Though when oishi, echizen, tezuka met I had a feeling ryoma would eventually end up back on team Japan where he belongs or tezuka would someone convince him to go back to team Japan but they got interrupted. Overall to me it was a pretty good episode
Jan 20, 2023 6:24 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
First episode and first surprise, Ryoma play in USA Team!!! kekeke
Jul 12, 2023 10:51 PM
Jul 2023
Awwww ryomaaaa is the only reason I still watch this 🙂

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shin Tennis no Ouji-sama: U-17 World Cup Episode 10 Discussion

CocoaGalaxy - Sep 7, 2022

3 by kiwiskies »»
Jan 25, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Shin Tennis no Ouji-sama: U-17 World Cup Episode 8 Discussion

CocoaGalaxy - Aug 24, 2022

6 by Tatsunami »»
Aug 5, 2023 1:29 AM

Poll: » Shin Tennis no Ouji-sama: U-17 World Cup Episode 3 Discussion

CocoaGalaxy - Jul 20, 2022

4 by Tatsunami »»
Aug 3, 2023 8:25 AM

» Sequel Announced

tsubasalover - Jun 4, 2023

2 by Pspdice »»
Jun 4, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Shin Tennis no Ouji-sama: U-17 World Cup Episode 13 Discussion

CocoaGalaxy - Sep 29, 2022

9 by Mira »»
Apr 6, 2023 8:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.