Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 4, 2022 8:19 AM
Jun 2020
Ok, I saw solid amount of Solo Leveling hate during time especially now that anime is announced, so I have few questions. When you found SL first time, it literally tells you what it's about in the title itself, ☆Solo Leveling☆, yeah its about mc's solo leveling, if you didn't like such a concept where the protagonist becomes stronger and stronger and beats everyone in cool fights, why would you even start reading it. People hate it like its supposed to be something else? It literally is what its supposed to be. With time, specificially after first 15-20 chapters, it establishes it's video game concept, where you have MC leveling up, buying items, upgrading, clearing dungeons, finding out about lore of the game, etc etc. Yeah everything such a concept needed, Solo Leveling done it pretty good. Now why all of the hate, people expected it to be something else or? It's like, yes I dont like that concept but I will still read it for the sake of hating something. It is same as If I dont like basketball, but I watch some random game of it and say its trash becouse players score points by shooting ball with hands trought hoop🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️I really dont understand this, yeah I dont claim that Solo Leveling is best thing ever, but it simply done right almost everything it needed to do right, it fullfiled its name to the fullest.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 4, 2022 11:16 AM

Feb 2021
rxseee said:
Ok, I saw solid amount of Solo Leveling hate during time especially now that anime is announced, so I have few questions. When you found SL first time, it literally tells you what it's about in the title itself, ☆Solo Leveling☆, yeah its about mc's solo leveling, if you didn't like such a concept where the protagonist becomes stronger and stronger and beats everyone in cool fights, why would you even start reading it. People hate it like its supposed to be something else? It literally is what its supposed to be. With time, specificially after first 15-20 chapters, it establishes it's video game concept, where you have MC leveling up, buying items, upgrading, clearing dungeons, finding out about lore of the game, etc etc. Yeah everything such a concept needed, Solo Leveling done it pretty good. Now why all of the hate, people expected it to be something else or? It's like, yes I dont like that concept but I will still read it for the sake of hating something. It is same as If I dont like basketball, but I watch some random game of it and say its trash becouse players score points by shooting ball with hands trought hoop🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️I really dont understand this, yeah I dont claim that Solo Leveling is best thing ever, but it simply done right almost everything it needed to do right, it fullfiled its name to the fullest.

I absolutely agree with you! I also don't understand so much negative to this manhwa!
Jul 4, 2022 11:44 AM

Jan 2017
rxseee said:
Ok, I saw solid amount of Solo Leveling hate during time especially now that anime is announced, so I have few questions. When you found SL first time, it literally tells you what it's about in the title itself, ☆Solo Leveling☆, yeah its about mc's solo leveling

The thing is that once he gets his Shadow powers , he's not solo anymore , and that's not what peoples were expecting at first , especially with the prologue chapters.

With time, specificially after first 15-20 chapters, it establishes it's video game concept, where you have MC leveling up, buying items, upgrading, clearing dungeons, finding out about lore of the game, etc etc. [...] Now why all of the hate, people expected it to be something else or?

But the first 15-20 chapters , when he's in the secret dungeon , had this horror/thriller feels , with a weak MC trying to do his best to survive , and it's exactly what it could have been all the way.
But for some reason , the scenario decide to makes him OP , cutting off this path about a MC struggling to "Solo Level".

It is same as If I dont like basketball, but I watch some random game of it and say its trash becouse players score points by shooting ball with hands trought hoop

To me , it felt as if i was watching a Football match , and at the break , the players suddenly decided to play Basketball.
It's also the feedback a lot of peoples had when the Manhwa first came out.

I dont claim that Solo Leveling is best thing ever

But a lot of fans do it , and it cause a lot of peoples to hate the serie because of that.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jul 4, 2022 3:31 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't even know this manhwa is hated, oh well ima just gonna keep living in my sweet bubble of blissful ignorance
Jul 4, 2022 3:38 PM
Jun 2020
Alexioos95 said:
The thing is that once he gets his Shadow powers , he's not solo anymore , and that's not what peoples were expecting at first , especially with the prologue chapters.

I dont agree, its same as saying that once someone gets sword or dagger they are not solo anymore, its literally their tool for fighting, same with Shadows, they are his tools and he control/uses them, and also they level up with him/he upgrade them and make them stronger, everything is because of him so u cant say he is not solo because he got weapons

Alexioos95 said:
But the first 15-20 chapters , when he's in the secret dungeon , had this horror/thriller feels , with a weak MC trying to do his best to survive , and it's exactly what it could have been all the way.
But for some reason , the scenario decide to makes him OP , cutting off this path about a MC struggling to "Solo Level".

Nah.I dont think it would be good to have him for whole manhwa like he was in first chapters, because it is pretty generic and people would not like it so much. All my friends and other people who I know started SL confirm that everything starts to be more interesting after that prologue, MC especially. He grown so much like a person trought this story and it would not be possible with him being weak trying to do hist best whole manhwa. Also I have a feeling u act like he just got OP immediately without effort. No. He litterally trained so hard whole manhwa, and leveled up whole manhwa to become what he is at the end. There were so much dungeons, monsters/bosses that he could not defeat at the moment, so he either got beat up or decided to fight them later after leveling up more. So yes he was MC who struggled to level up whole manhwa.

Alexioos95 said:
To me , it felt as if i was watching a Football match , and at the break , the players suddenly decided to play Basketball.
It's also the feedback a lot of peoples had when the Manhwa first came out.

Again, I dont understand how it changed when it followed concept of solo leveling whole time like I described above.

Alexioos95 said:
But a lot of fans do it , and it cause a lot of peoples to hate the serie because of that.

This I agree. I understand if u like something so it is 10/10 to your subjective taste, but overrating something and saying it is objectively masterpiece is stupid thing to do and can give bad impressions to other people.
rxseeeJul 4, 2022 5:21 PM
Jul 4, 2022 3:41 PM
Jun 2020
MyCuppaTea said:
I didn't even know this manhwa is hated, oh well ima just gonna keep living in my sweet bubble of blissful ignorance

haha im jealous of you honestly
Jul 4, 2022 5:15 PM

Aug 2012
Hater's gon hate no matter what.

I just started the series yesterday after seeing the animation trailer and I can't stop reading it. It's so hype!

If someone doesn't like battle series and video games they probably aren't going to like it but wow is it a ride if you do.
Jul 4, 2022 5:26 PM
Jun 2020
xp4nic said:
Hater's gon hate no matter what.

I just started the series yesterday after seeing the animation trailer and I can't stop reading it. It's so hype!

If someone doesn't like battle series and video games they probably aren't going to like it but wow is it a ride if you do.

Enjoyyyy bro, it is incredible, especially there where you are :D
Jul 4, 2022 5:38 PM

Oct 2021
Yes, and One Piece is about a piece of something, definitely not about a journey of Luffy.
Jul 4, 2022 6:29 PM
Jun 2020
EdgyLord666 said:
Yes, and One Piece is about a piece of something, definitely not about a journey of Luffy.

Oh my god. It is different bc OP does not have straightforward title that summarize the plot of story like SL does, do I need to paint all up? If OPs title was "Luffys Journey" you could not tell heyy its bad because it follows luffys journey trought life. But ok, if titles are bad example, lets use its premise, synopsis, genres, themes that it processes. Everywhere you look youll see its story about one solo man leveling up to become strongest with training and fighting almost whole manhwa mindless beasts trough this video game system and wanting to find about a lore of the game and why is it all happening. Did they do protagonists journey to level up and achieve his goals good, yes, fights were pretty fire and majority of situations that protagonist was threw in were interesting, also lore of the story was pretty solid and it was good revealing it slowly trough the story, and main point of story, protagonists journey and growth was did great. Have they wrote good protagonist around who the whole story is? yes, they did, they wrote him really good, especially with this ending he just became better, did they do video game system good? yes, you had upgrades, items, loot, dungeons, levels, abilities, mana, stats, everything u needed to and it was pretty good made and interesting. Only one weak point yall can find that is actually valid was not very good writing of side characters, but again this story had other focuses and they served their purpose, at least there were moraly grey characters and they did like how real humans would act in their world. Even using it like its bad/mid point it cant make this whole manhwa mid and bad like you all are making it to be. Wanting from SL to be something other is same as wanting from One Piece to be good horror anime.
rxseeeJul 4, 2022 6:32 PM
Jul 4, 2022 6:59 PM

Aug 2012
That person’s name is “EdgeLord666” lol. You shouldn’t take them too seriously they’re baiting you, this is the internet afterall.

No one worth their salt legitimately thinks that One Piece one of the goat in character development and world building is just a story about Luffy haga
Jul 4, 2022 7:24 PM

Oct 2021
rxseee said:
EdgyLord666 said:

Oh my god. It is different bc OP does not have straightforward title that summarize the plot of story like SL does, do I need to paint all up? If OPs title was "Luffys Journey" you could not tell heyy its bad because it follows luffys journey trought life. But ok, if titles are bad example, lets use its premise, synopsis, genres, themes that it processes. Everywhere you look youll see its story about one solo man leveling up to become strongest

Eh not really, if we use MAL synopsis then "Jin-Woo soon finds that it may just transform him into one of the world's most fearsome Hunters.", it says "one of the world's" not "the world's", so it's fine if people hoping Jin-Woo might be not that op.
Jul 4, 2022 7:31 PM
Mar 2021
I understand that we all have different preferences in reading novels, manhwas, manhuas, and mangas as well as expectations once we read them but what I don't understand is why the hate comments when you could just remove it from your reading list? Stop reading it once you feel like 'ah this will be trash' and so on and go on read something worth wasting your time, why complicate things😭 Well, the fact that some of you finished reading it means yall interested in the story right? But then after reading it all you see was the flaws when there are a bunch of things that are worth praising of.

No hate, just my opinion:))

JanajestyJul 4, 2022 7:35 PM
Jul 4, 2022 7:34 PM
Jun 2020
EdgyLord666 said:
rxseee said:

Oh my god. It is different bc OP does not have straightforward title that summarize the plot of story like SL does, do I need to paint all up? If OPs title was "Luffys Journey" you could not tell heyy its bad because it follows luffys journey trought life. But ok, if titles are bad example, lets use its premise, synopsis, genres, themes that it processes. Everywhere you look youll see its story about one solo man leveling up to become strongest

Eh not really, if we use MAL synopsis then "Jin-Woo soon finds that it may just transform him into one of the world's most fearsome Hunters.", it says "one of the world's" not "the world's", so it's fine if people hoping Jin-Woo might be not that op.

💀...........
Jul 4, 2022 7:35 PM
Jun 2020
xp4nic said:
That person’s name is “EdgeLord666” lol. You shouldn’t take them too seriously they’re baiting you, this is the internet afterall.

No one worth their salt legitimately thinks that One Piece one of the goat in character development and world building is just a story about Luffy haga

yeah you are right
rxseeeJul 4, 2022 8:11 PM
Jul 4, 2022 7:37 PM
Jun 2020
Janajesty said:
I understand that we all have different preferences in reading novels, manhwas, manhuas, and mangas as well as expectations once we read them but what I don't understand is why the hate comments when you could just remove it from your reading list? Stop reading it once you feel like 'ah this will be trash' and so on and go on read something worth wasting your time, why complicate things😭 Well, the fact that some of you finished reading it means yall interested in the story right? But then after reading it all you see was the flaws when there are a bunch of things that are worth praising of.

exectly true i would have dropped if something was that bad to me like people make out SL to be XD
Jul 4, 2022 8:20 PM

Aug 2021
It's being hated because the fans acting like solo leveling is the best manhwa ever
Jul 4, 2022 8:39 PM
Jun 2020
27thEiffel said:
It's being hated because the fans acting like solo leveling is the best manhwa ever

Yeah true fans can really overrate something. Its 10/10 for me, but only because I enjoyed it so much and it was my cup of tea, but I wouldnt even say that it is objectively that good bc its not, or force my opninion on others. But still some people are genuinely analysing it and saying its actual bif trash and stating that as facts which is messed up even if you are irritated by fans
Jul 4, 2022 10:22 PM

Oct 2020
It was just very dissapointing. The beginning of the story and the art quality can really hype you. I found it hard to be interested in any character outside of the MC , well , i even lost interest in the MC fairly quickly
Jul 4, 2022 11:23 PM

Feb 2021
Janajesty said:

Indeed. Read manga that you like, it is simple.
27thEiffel said:

And they are wrong. Different people like what they like.
Jul 5, 2022 12:54 AM
Sep 2021
Bruh there's literally tons lf Solo Leveling hype. Idk what hate your talking about. There are always some minority that hate on popular things. Why let a minority of people effect your enjoyment? Ignore them and move on. Solo leveling is going to be a big thing of done properly.
Jul 5, 2022 4:10 AM
Apr 2020
I actually think Solo Leveling is good but it's not masterpiece. It's like a Sword art online with amazing art. As someone that have read numerous manhwas before Solo Leveling I can say that the art is the best thing about it. The story is mediocre, similar manhwas like Hardcore Leveling Warrior have better stories. But if it's your first manhwa it definitely seems amazing, it's easier to read because of the quality of the art and shounen hype.
Jul 5, 2022 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
rxseee said:
MyCuppaTea said:

haha im jealous of you honestly

First time someone's admired my lack of awareness xD
Jul 6, 2022 6:12 AM

Jan 2021
the people who hate it are those self proclaimed anime geniuses who think they are better then anyone else and their taste is superior.
Jul 6, 2022 12:21 PM
Jan 2022
Literally all the reviews that pop out when looking at the page are negative, like bruh you read 180 chapters, there is no way it's a 4 lol
Jul 7, 2022 5:22 AM

Aug 2020
I don't mind the fact that it's about some dude leveling up, what bothers me is that I'd have enjoyed it so much more if the main character ever struggled to make a more tense environment.
What I see when I read Solo Leveling is some dude who flawlessly does everything. Yes he levels up but even then it never feels like Sung Jin-woo ever struggles to level up, he flawlessly kills a bunch of monster and then boom, he's now stronger than the strongest characters introduced few chapters ago.
Not to mention he progresses so fast that the rankings feel like they have no weight to them.
Solo Leveling could've easily been a great underdog story about a weak character trying to grow stronger gradually, which you might argue that it is that type of story but like I said, the MC never struggles and the odds are never stacked up against him.
And at least the story could've developed the characters they introduce, but no. All they get to do is just do exaggerated remarks whenever Sung Jin-woo surpasses their strength.
The story and the characters are all so bland and boring that it's hard to enjoy. If the well drawn action is all you're looking for then there are much better series out there such as One Punch Man or Rikudou.
If you disagree with someone then at least come up with and provide constructive arguments or understand the other side by listening to what they have to say, instead of just throwing words like "forced" or "pretentious" at them.
TyraqJul 7, 2022 5:33 AM
Jul 7, 2022 5:54 AM
Jun 2020
Tyraq said:
I don't mind the fact that it's about some dude leveling up, what bothers me is that I'd have enjoyed it so much more if the main character ever struggled to make a more tense environment.
What I see when I read Solo Leveling is some dude who flawlessly does everything. Yes he levels up but even then it never feels like Sung Jin-woo ever struggles to level up, he flawlessly kills a bunch of monster and then boom, he's now stronger than the strongest characters introduced few chapters ago.
Not to mention he progresses so fast that the rankings feel like they have no weight to them.
Solo Leveling could've easily been a great underdog story about a weak character trying to grow stronger gradually, which you might argue that it is that type of story but like I said, the MC never struggles and the odds are never stacked up against him.
And at least the story could've developed the characters they introduce, but no. All they get to do is just do exaggerated remarks whenever Sung Jin-woo surpasses their strength.
The story and the characters are all so bland and boring that it's hard to enjoy. If the well drawn action is all you're looking for then there are much better series out there such as One Punch Man or Rikudou.
If you disagree with someone then at least come up with and provide constructive arguments or understand the other side by listening to what they have to say, instead of just throwing words like "forced" or "pretentious" at them.

And still I gave so much better arguments then yall who just said "omgg he didnt struggle". Actually he did, but what I need to do to prove you that? When you read whole manhwa and act like u didnt read what u read, I cant help there much. How contradictory you are just shows how you are saying that something like One Punch Man is so much better series. It literally cant be, its just mindless fighting with good art, it arguably doesnt have better side characters then SL while Sung Jin Woo is 300x better written then Saitama, SL have this video game concept with dungeons, leveling, items, upgrades, abilities, while OPM doesnt have anything, like characters just throw random attacks from nowhere without basis. Also story/lore of SL is 100x better, like what is even thing in One Punch Man? There were demons who always hated humans so now they attack them, yeah thats it. And you saying OPM is better just shows me how you hate SL just for hate u dont have any valid things to say.
Oh plus I see u gave OPM fucking 8 while SL 4, this shows everythinf and how much u dont know what u talk about xd
rxseeeJul 7, 2022 5:58 AM
Jul 7, 2022 6:07 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I never heard someone hating Solo Levelling before, I guess I just dont care whatever other people are saying, it's more peaceful :)

Although tbh the story spiraled out of control and became a bit too ridiculous after Sung Jin Woo defeated Andre. Must be convenient suddenly he gets Kira Yoshikage's Bites the Dust power later on, as if he isnt overpowered enough ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 7, 2022 6:21 AM

Aug 2020
rxseee said:
Tyraq said:

And still I gave so much better arguments then yall who just said "omgg he didnt struggle". Actually he did, but what I need to do to prove you that? When you read whole manhwa and act like u didnt read what u read, I cant help there much. How contradictory you are just shows how you are saying that something like One Punch Man is so much better series. It literally cant be, its just mindless fighting with good art, it arguably doesnt have better side characters then SL while Sung Jin Woo is 300x better written then Saitama, SL have this video game concept with dungeons, leveling, items, upgrades, abilities, while OPM doesnt have anything, like characters just throw random attacks from nowhere without basis. Also story/lore of SL is 100x better, like what is even thing in One Punch Man? There were demons who always hated humans so now they attack them, yeah thats it. And you saying OPM is better just shows me how you hate SL just for hate u dont have any valid things to say.
Oh plus I see u gave OPM fucking 8 while SL 4, this shows everythinf and how much u dont know what u talk about xd

Maybe if you understood my post then you could've known that I didn't only mention one point.
He didn't struggle, all I remember was him just going "oh this quest is hard" with absolutely no expression of struggling. There's clearly no stakes when Sung Jin-woo flawlessly accomplishes everything, which just makes everything so much more predictable.
"Mindless Fighting with good art" is exactly what Solo Leveling felt to me. One Punch Man is a parody of the superhero genre. It's comedic most of the times. It not only has made me laugh a handful of times but also has great fights with great art that actually have stakes in it and aren't nearly as predictable. It does so by constantly shifting focus. Which side character in Solo Leveling was actually memorable? In One Punch Man we have Garou, Metal Bat, Genos etc. All of them are so much more likable than any character in SL.
Oh the demons in SL hate humans? And that's supposed to make it so much better than OPM? Oh there's a game system? As if that wasn't done a million times before but hey a typical game system apparently makes the lore 100 times better.
You also didn't understand my point. I said "if you want to read a series for well drawn action then there are better series like OPM" which meant I said OPM has better drawn action and better fights.
I also feel like you didn't even read my entire post and just concluded that I only brought up one point because I sure as heck didn't.
Jul 7, 2022 6:35 AM

Jan 2013
Tyraq said:
He didn't struggle, all I remember was him just going "oh this quest is hard" with absolutely no expression of struggling.
Honestly this is what made SL so enjoyable for me. For the first time ever we (or well, I personally) see an overlord of a main character who can beat anyone. That's refreshing to me and I quite liked it.
Jul 7, 2022 6:37 AM
Jun 2020
Tyraq said:
rxseee said:

Maybe if you understood my post then you could've known that I didn't only mention one point.
He didn't struggle, all I remember was him just going "oh this quest is hard" with absolutely no expression of struggling. There's clearly no stakes when Sung Jin-woo flawlessly accomplishes everything, which just makes everything so much more predictable.
"Mindless Fighting with good art" is exactly what Solo Leveling felt to me. One Punch Man is a parody of the superhero genre. It's comedic most of the times. It not only has made me laugh a handful of times but also has great fights with great art that actually have stakes in it and aren't nearly as predictable. It does so by constantly shifting focus. Which side character in Solo Leveling was actually memorable? In One Punch Man we have Garou, Metal Bat, Genos etc. All of them are so much more likable than any character in SL.
Oh the demons in SL hate humans? And that's supposed to make it so much better than OPM? Oh there's a game system? As if that wasn't done a million times before but hey a typical game system apparently makes the lore 100 times better.
You also didn't understand my point. I said "if you want to read a series for well drawn action then there are better series like OPM" which meant I said OPM has better drawn action and better fights.
I also feel like you didn't even read my entire post and just concluded that I only brought up one point because I sure as heck didn't.

Oh yes characters in OPM are much better, my man Garou, while all other kids said they wanted to be heroes, he said he wanted to be villain, and that same flashback of him saying it repeated 928 times and successfully convinced you that he is good character, sad. You cant compare villains in those two, bc villains in SL had actual origin, Rulers and Monarchs lore, everything was explained about them and everything made sanse. Yeah also why OP protagonist that can beat anyone without struggle needed to actually dont go in some dungeons because he knew he would be beat up, and waited to get stronger for them, hmm?? Also comedic/parody shit in OPM ended after battle with Boros that can confirm everyone who read it and people who actually likes it agreed with that, so your point doesnt make sanse. In SL u at least knew from where powers come and how characters acquired skills tools and everything whille in OPM every character get his power from ass and nothing is explained, like i said OPM is nothing more then mindless fighting with powers coming directly from ass against monsters that hate humans because they hate them, with bland characters that didnt get better with those bland backstories like you think they did.
rxseeeJul 7, 2022 7:12 AM
Jul 7, 2022 6:39 AM

Aug 2020
Klad said:
Tyraq said:
He didn't struggle, all I remember was him just going "oh this quest is hard" with absolutely no expression of struggling.
Honestly this is what made SL so enjoyable for me. For the first time ever we (or well, I personally) see an overlord of a main character who can beat anyone. That's refreshing to me and I quite liked it.

That's understandable but for me it just felt like every other generic Isekai or Fantasy series. I do enjoy stuff where the main characters never lose like "One Outs" but I guess SL never had that suspenseful and tense environment like it so I just found it boring and predictable.
Jul 7, 2022 8:00 AM

Aug 2020
rxseee said:

Oh yes characters in OPM are much better, my man Garou, while all other kids said they wanted to be heroes, he said he wanted to be villain, and that same flashback of him saying it repeated 928 times and successfully convinced you that he is good character, sad. You cant compare villains in those two, bc villains in SL had actual origin, Rulers and Monarchs lore, everything was explained about them and everything made sanse. Yeah also why OP protagonist that can beat anyone without struggle needed to actually dont go in some dungeons because he knew he would be beat up, and waited to get stronger for them, hmm?? Also comedic/parody shit in OPM ended after battle with Boros that can confirm everyone who read it and people who actually likes it agreed with that, so your point doesnt make sanse. In SL u at least knew from where powers come and how characters acquired skills tools and everything whille in OPM every character get his power from ass and nothing is explained, like i said OPM is nothing more then mindless fighting with powers coming directly from ass against monsters that hate humans because they hate them, with bland characters that didnt get better with those bland backstories like you think they did.

OPM doesn't take itself seriously. All the characters have ridiculous backstories but what they have that SL doesn't is a fucking personality.
Sung Jin-woo's character is so predictable and he has the personality equivalent to a piece of paper. He does anything that might seem cool and badass to the SL fans but that just makes him have no personality.
Because each character in OPM have a distinct personality it makes the character dynamics significantly more entertaining which I didn't feel reading SL.
The parody never ended, it was always a parody. Yes it rarely becomes lighthearted in the recent chapters but it's still a parody. It's like Gintama which is also a parody but will occasionally add more serious toned arcs in the story.
Sung Jin-woo is overpowered, in the sense that he does everything perfectly. Never was there a point that I felt like he was struggling and he easily demolished any sort of enemy that he faced. Saitama is definitely more overpowered in OPM's storyline than Jin-woo but that's not a bad thing because unlike SL, OPM constantly shifts focus to different characters. The story evolves to something more than it was and even then at the end it came back to what it originally was.
What I mean by that is how the story shifted focus to these characters like Garou but eventually he was lead to clash against Saitama. With SL however, things just got more ridiculous and out of hand, which all lead to that rushed and disappointing conclusion.
Garou is easily more interesting than any character in SL imo and if you want to believe that OPM is a bland story with bland characters and it's only good for it's action, then sure go ahead but idk why you'd be accusing me of hating SL just to hate it because if I did, I'd have hated OPM too due to how popular it is.
Jul 7, 2022 8:10 AM
May 2022
I don't understand why it is being hated on. I'm personally waiting for it to start airing.
Jul 7, 2022 8:48 AM
Jun 2020
Tyraq said:
rxseee said:

OPM doesn't take itself seriously. All the characters have ridiculous backstories but what they have that SL doesn't is a fucking personality.
Sung Jin-woo's character is so predictable and he has the personality equivalent to a piece of paper. He does anything that might seem cool and badass to the SL fans but that just makes him have no personality.
Because each character in OPM have a distinct personality it makes the character dynamics significantly more entertaining which I didn't feel reading SL.
The parody never ended, it was always a parody. Yes it rarely becomes lighthearted in the recent chapters but it's still a parody. It's like Gintama which is also a parody but will occasionally add more serious toned arcs in the story.
Sung Jin-woo is overpowered, in the sense that he does everything perfectly. Never was there a point that I felt like he was struggling and he easily demolished any sort of enemy that he faced. Saitama is definitely more overpowered in OPM's storyline than Jin-woo but that's not a bad thing because unlike SL, OPM constantly shifts focus to different characters. The story evolves to something more than it was and even then at the end it came back to what it originally was.
What I mean by that is how the story shifted focus to these characters like Garou but eventually he was lead to clash against Saitama. With SL however, things just got more ridiculous and out of hand, which all lead to that rushed and disappointing conclusion.
Garou is easily more interesting than any character in SL imo and if you want to believe that OPM is a bland story with bland characters and it's only good for it's action, then sure go ahead but idk why you'd be accusing me of hating SL just to hate it because if I did, I'd have hated OPM too due to how popular it is.

nah bro I cant take u seriously anymore when u unironically said all this about OPM, like not that I just cant take ur SL opinion seriously anymore but just any opinion about anything related to anime/manga. You just proved to me that there is no need to bother with haters in this community. Bye
Jul 7, 2022 8:54 AM

Aug 2020
rxseee said:
Tyraq said:

nah bro I cant take u seriously anymore when u unironically said all this about OPM, like not that I just cant take ur SL opinion seriously anymore but just any opinion about anything related to anime/manga. You just proved to me that there is no need to bother with haters in this community. Bye

Ig if you can't handle me praising something that you dislike, then sure bye.
Jul 7, 2022 8:59 AM
Jun 2020
Tyraq said:
rxseee said:

Correction, I cant handle when people act all smart and mighty trashing on some series while they are simultaneously praising something that is so much worse.
Jul 7, 2022 9:03 AM

Aug 2020
rxseee said:
Tyraq said:

Correction, I cant handle when people act all smart and mighty trashing on some series while they are simultaneously praising something that is so much worse.

Well I wasn't the one who made a threat whining about how some people dislike one of my favorites nor was I the person that went through someone else's list only to make fun of them for having a different opinion like a smartass, only to try leave the argument by announcing how the other person is stupid and acts like a smartass.
Jul 7, 2022 9:28 AM
Jun 2020
Tyraq said:
rxseee said:

Well I wasn't the one who made a threat whining about how some people dislike one of my favorites nor was I the person that went through someone else's list only to make fun of them for having a different opinion like a smartass, only to try leave the argument by announcing how the other person is stupid and acts like a smartass.

making post to discuss something about series is not ''threat whining'', exactly I didnt have anything against casual people disliking SL bc its one of my favorite series so they had to like it, its perfectly fine if someone dont like it or if it is bad to someone , I am just against hardcore haters that trash on the manhwa without any basis and making it out to be worst shit ever, again without valid arguments. I checked ur list rating for One Punch Man just because u brought it up in conversation to compare it with SL, and again I dont have anything against u or anyone liking One Punch Man but u brought it in conversation to use it for comparing and saying its so much better then SL while it obviously is not, so its perfectly fine for me to bring point of contradictory up, saying how opm actually is and with that argumentatively showing that you dont know what u talk about bc u trash on one series while praising other that did all things that you say first series did ''bad'' so much worse.
Jul 7, 2022 9:34 AM

Aug 2020
rxseee said:
Tyraq said:

making post to discuss something about series is not ''threat whining'', exactly I didnt have anything against casual people disliking SL bc its one of my favorite series so they had to like it, its perfectly fine if someone dont like it or if it is bad to someone , I am just against hardcore haters that trash on the manhwa without any basis and making it out to be worst shit ever, again without valid arguments. I checked ur list rating for One Punch Man just because u brought it up in conversation to compare it with SL, and again I dont have anything against u or anyone liking One Punch Man but u brought it in conversation to use it for comparing and saying its so much better then SL while it obviously is not, so its perfectly fine for me to bring point of contradictory up, saying how opm actually is and with that argumentatively showing that you dont know what u talk about bc u trash on one series while praising other that did all things that you say first series did ''bad'' so much worse.

Well again I addressed this.
It's completely fine if you found OPM to be bland and all but I only put it to comparison because most people read it purely for action and art, the same reason most SL fans like SL so much. I did not say OPM is much better even though imo it is but if you were to read a series only for art and action then there are much better series like One Punch Man for it. Which again I'm telling you what it means, it means that I said the art and action of OPM is much better than SL.
Now I know you never said SL is only good for art and action but in my first post I was only addressing people that liked SL only for those reasons.
Jul 16, 2022 1:08 PM

Jul 2019
rxseee said:

It doesn't absolve itself from criticism though. Yes it's about the MC leveling solo and getting OP. Does that mean the MC has to be the most blandest and generic MC in existence? No. Yet he is. Does this mean all the side-characters have to be more tools than characters lacking any real development? No. Yet they are. Does this mean the plot arcs have to be incredibly uninspired? No. Yet they are. I can go on and on. Even the worst concept can have amazing execution. And the best concept can have awful execution.

It's not "forced" just because people expect some semblance of quality. Especially from something that is incredibly highly rated and has been praised as the single best manhwa in existence. A masterpiece of masterpieces. Imagine the disappointment a lot of people feel when they then realize it's just the same generic OP MC with a game like setting plot that has been done a million times before with nothing to discern itself from everything else other than the art.

rxseee said:
With time, specificially after first 15-20 chapters, it establishes it's video game concept, where you have MC leveling up, buying items, upgrading, clearing dungeons, finding out about lore of the game, etc etc.

Here's another big issue. The first 15-20 chapters are MUCH different from the rest of the story. The gate they first entered is actually interesting. It's very mysterious and deadly. You actually feel the dread of the Gates. The MC also actually had emotions then. Then once we're past the prologue, every Gate becomes incredibly generic and stale and the MC loses all hints of emotion.
Subarashii
Jul 16, 2022 4:42 PM
Jun 2020
i only dislike this manhwa because of 2 reasons

1. the story its realy nothing special and it can only has a good artstyle
2. when it comes to art there is a manhwa with a great artstyle aswell + it has a better story its an isekai called her summon but its not your 0815 trash its realy cool

but sadly solo leveling steals all the attention just look at reddit solo leveling 200k vs her summon 500 members both came out nearly the same time
Jul 16, 2022 9:32 PM
Jun 2020
Avicebrons said:
rxseee said:

It doesn't absolve itself from criticism though. Yes it's about the MC leveling solo and getting OP. Does that mean the MC has to be the most blandest and generic MC in existence? No. Yet he is. Does this mean all the side-characters have to be more tools than characters lacking any real development? No. Yet they are. Does this mean the plot arcs have to be incredibly uninspired? No. Yet they are. I can go on and on. Even the worst concept can have amazing execution. And the best concept can have awful execution.

It's not "forced" just because people expect some semblance of quality. Especially from something that is incredibly highly rated and has been praised as the single best manhwa in existence. A masterpiece of masterpieces. Imagine the disappointment a lot of people feel when they then realize it's just the same generic OP MC with a game like setting plot that has been done a million times before with nothing to discern itself from everything else other than the art.

rxseee said:
With time, specificially after first 15-20 chapters, it establishes it's video game concept, where you have MC leveling up, buying items, upgrading, clearing dungeons, finding out about lore of the game, etc etc.

Here's another big issue. The first 15-20 chapters are MUCH different from the rest of the story. The gate they first entered is actually interesting. It's very mysterious and deadly. You actually feel the dread of the Gates. The MC also actually had emotions then. Then once we're past the prologue, every Gate becomes incredibly generic and stale and the MC loses all hints of emotion.

Love this criticism with no exact arguments at all. All you are saying is this is bad, that is bad, this is bland, that is generic, that has no quality, this is bad, this is uninspired, this is bad, that is bad. Like bro do you actually believe someone will seriously take ur opinion when u come to shit on a series with takes like this. Not me for sure lmao
Jul 16, 2022 9:51 PM

Jul 2019
rxseee said:
Avicebrons said:

Love this criticism with no exact arguments at all. All you are saying is this is bad, that is bad, this is bland, that is generic, that has no quality, this is bad, this is uninspired, this is bad, that is bad. Like bro do you actually believe someone will seriously take ur opinion when u come to shit on a series with takes like this. Not me for sure lmao

I wasn't trying to convince anyone that the series is bad, so there wasn't any need for elaboration. You must've missed the point I was making if that was your takeaway. My point is that even though people know exactly what they're getting into, it can be executed well and it can be executed poorly. How you perceive that is of course entirely subjective. As I've said, I found this and that bad. But it does negate his point of the criticism being "forced". And if you were really starving for some elaboration, I at least touched on it in the last sentence regarding the prologue in relation to the rest of the story. If you really really is starved for elaboration, then here's my review of it:
Solo Leveling is a manhwa that always baffles me whenever I hear someone talk about it. They usually like to say nice sounding buzzwords whenever they praise it, but never bother to actually expand on it. It's always at the front page of whatever site or app you're using. But when I myself read it, it felt like I was reading a completely different manhwa than the one everyone was talking about.

I'm gonna be honest, the first like 15 chapters were actually entertaining. And I thought it was gonna turn out to be a really good manhwa. The gate we entered in the prologue was so different than how they are presented in the rest of the manhwa. There were rules to be followed and if not followed it would mean death. This is not at all present in later gates, in later gates its basically just different monsters in different environments. Which means the gates themselves are not at all interesting after the prologue which is a shame cause you had this sense of dread and mystique surrounding the gate when they entered it for the first time.

So how does the story develop after the prologue? Well...It doesn't really. We simply follow Sung Jin-Woo as he goes into different gates and strengthen himself at an insane speed. It just uses the same formula over and over again. He goes into a gate, something unexpected happens, for instance the gate was more dangerous than it seemed. He handles it with ease despite the difficulty change. And then rinse and repeat. It was very disappointing to have him become so extremely strong so quickly. There was no real sense of progress. One second he's the weakest and another second there is literally no threat in existence that can phase him.

Also a lack of overarching story makes it hard to be motivated to continue. There's no real goal Sung Jin-Woo set for himself. They did slightly touch on his mother being ill and he needing to heal her. But they barely explored his relationship with his mother or anything like that. It was more just a dumb reason for him to enter a gate. And it was resolved with ease.

Now we get into the absolute worst part of Solo Leveling. The characters. Mainly Sung Jin-Woo himself. Sung Jin-Woo was made to be as bland as humanly possible so that people can insert themselves into him and live out a power fantasy. We barely know anything about Sung Jin-Woo. He doesn't have any real motivation that drives him. He doesn't have any clear morals. In fact, he doesn't really have any emotions at all. Almost every single panel he is in he will make the same generic emotionless edgy expression. He almost never smiles, laughs, look scared, nervous or anything like that. His expression is always like he's watching a mediocre movie cause his girlfriend wanted to see it.

He has no development at all either. He goes from being the generic weak main character that's surprisingly brave when the situation calls for it into the generic edgy overpowered main character. There's no transition. And even after he has become overpowered nothing still develops him. And besides, there's nothing to push him into development since the arcs never presents him with a dilemma that forces character change.

As for other characters, there aren't really any notable ones. They introduce some new characters each arc but then they just kinda forget about their existence and you never see them again. At this point I've stopped remembering the name of the characters because they've proven time and time again that there's no point to it. And they aren't interesting. They're mostly just there to gasp at the sight of the MC doing MC shit. I also have a problem with how much they're pandering and using certain characters (mainly female characters) as tools for this. What I mean by this is that Sung Jin-Woo is made to be the ultimate edgy overpowered main character that you can self insert yourself into for a power fantasy. And they also uses characters as a tool to reinforce this, like him needing to rescue every female character as soon as they are about to get hurt (all the while the male characters gets slaughtered left and right).

Pretty much every female character he meets will at some point be rescued by him and/or fall for him. For instance there is one female character that is a bit obsessed with him cause he "smells" different than other people. And at another point where he's murdering monsters suddenly the last monster surrenders out of fear. And what do you know, that monster turns out to be a super hot monster babe that falls for him. All characters are just tools used to put Sung Jin-Woo himself up on a pedestal or as a measuring stick to see how overpowered he is.

As you may already have figured out, my enjoyment for this manhwa is not really high. None of the characters are memorable, the arcs are uninspired and had no real purpose except to make the main character stronger. The main character himself was dull. Except early on in the story where it was actually interesting and he had emotions and there was a sense of overall dread. But that was only the first couple of chapters.

Overall 3/10: I really can't give this any higher. Remove the art which is its only praiseworthy point and all you will be left with is the same generic self insert edgy overpowered main character power fantasy that has all the ladies fall for him. There's nothing memorable at all about this manhwa.

But again, you missed the point. Because all I was saying is that criticism can be justified despite what OP is saying.
Subarashii
Jul 16, 2022 10:06 PM
Jun 2020
Avicebrons said:
rxseee said:

I wasn't trying to convince anyone that the series is bad, so there wasn't any need for elaboration. You must've missed the point I was making if that was your takeaway. My point is that even though people know exactly what they're getting into, it can be executed well and it can be executed poorly. How you perceive that is of course entirely subjective. As I've said, I found this and that bad. But it does negate his point of the criticism being "forced". And if you were really starving for some elaboration, I at least touched on it in the last sentence regarding the prologue in relation to the rest of the story. If you really really is starved for elaboration, then here's my review of it:
Solo Leveling is a manhwa that always baffles me whenever I hear someone talk about it. They usually like to say nice sounding buzzwords whenever they praise it, but never bother to actually expand on it. It's always at the front page of whatever site or app you're using. But when I myself read it, it felt like I was reading a completely different manhwa than the one everyone was talking about.

I'm gonna be honest, the first like 15 chapters were actually entertaining. And I thought it was gonna turn out to be a really good manhwa. The gate we entered in the prologue was so different than how they are presented in the rest of the manhwa. There were rules to be followed and if not followed it would mean death. This is not at all present in later gates, in later gates its basically just different monsters in different environments. Which means the gates themselves are not at all interesting after the prologue which is a shame cause you had this sense of dread and mystique surrounding the gate when they entered it for the first time.

So how does the story develop after the prologue? Well...It doesn't really. We simply follow Sung Jin-Woo as he goes into different gates and strengthen himself at an insane speed. It just uses the same formula over and over again. He goes into a gate, something unexpected happens, for instance the gate was more dangerous than it seemed. He handles it with ease despite the difficulty change. And then rinse and repeat. It was very disappointing to have him become so extremely strong so quickly. There was no real sense of progress. One second he's the weakest and another second there is literally no threat in existence that can phase him.

Also a lack of overarching story makes it hard to be motivated to continue. There's no real goal Sung Jin-Woo set for himself. They did slightly touch on his mother being ill and he needing to heal her. But they barely explored his relationship with his mother or anything like that. It was more just a dumb reason for him to enter a gate. And it was resolved with ease.

Now we get into the absolute worst part of Solo Leveling. The characters. Mainly Sung Jin-Woo himself. Sung Jin-Woo was made to be as bland as humanly possible so that people can insert themselves into him and live out a power fantasy. We barely know anything about Sung Jin-Woo. He doesn't have any real motivation that drives him. He doesn't have any clear morals. In fact, he doesn't really have any emotions at all. Almost every single panel he is in he will make the same generic emotionless edgy expression. He almost never smiles, laughs, look scared, nervous or anything like that. His expression is always like he's watching a mediocre movie cause his girlfriend wanted to see it.

He has no development at all either. He goes from being the generic weak main character that's surprisingly brave when the situation calls for it into the generic edgy overpowered main character. There's no transition. And even after he has become overpowered nothing still develops him. And besides, there's nothing to push him into development since the arcs never presents him with a dilemma that forces character change.

As for other characters, there aren't really any notable ones. They introduce some new characters each arc but then they just kinda forget about their existence and you never see them again. At this point I've stopped remembering the name of the characters because they've proven time and time again that there's no point to it. And they aren't interesting. They're mostly just there to gasp at the sight of the MC doing MC shit. I also have a problem with how much they're pandering and using certain characters (mainly female characters) as tools for this. What I mean by this is that Sung Jin-Woo is made to be the ultimate edgy overpowered main character that you can self insert yourself into for a power fantasy. And they also uses characters as a tool to reinforce this, like him needing to rescue every female character as soon as they are about to get hurt (all the while the male characters gets slaughtered left and right).

Pretty much every female character he meets will at some point be rescued by him and/or fall for him. For instance there is one female character that is a bit obsessed with him cause he "smells" different than other people. And at another point where he's murdering monsters suddenly the last monster surrenders out of fear. And what do you know, that monster turns out to be a super hot monster babe that falls for him. All characters are just tools used to put Sung Jin-Woo himself up on a pedestal or as a measuring stick to see how overpowered he is.

As you may already have figured out, my enjoyment for this manhwa is not really high. None of the characters are memorable, the arcs are uninspired and had no real purpose except to make the main character stronger. The main character himself was dull. Except early on in the story where it was actually interesting and he had emotions and there was a sense of overall dread. But that was only the first couple of chapters.

Overall 3/10: I really can't give this any higher. Remove the art which is its only praiseworthy point and all you will be left with is the same generic self insert edgy overpowered main character power fantasy that has all the ladies fall for him. There's nothing memorable at all about this manhwa.

But again, you missed the point. Because all I was saying is that criticism can be justified despite what OP is saying.

I said I will not take u seriously so why are u even writing all of this I wont bother really
Jul 16, 2022 10:09 PM

Jul 2019
rxseee said:
Avicebrons said:

I said I will not take u seriously so why are u even writing all of this I wont bother really

I mean if this is how all Solo Leveling fans behave, no wonder they dismiss criticism under the guise of being "forced".
Subarashii
Jul 16, 2022 11:28 PM

Oct 2017
I mean you have an uninteresting premise, cookie-cutter characters, and a boring OP MC; to top if off its a Manwha, so its only natural to be a piece of shit.

afaik most of the fandom I have seen hyping this shit up are 14yo who never read a manga before and think this is somehow peak fiction.
Jul 17, 2022 5:53 AM
Jun 2020
Avicebrons said:
rxseee said:

I mean if this is how all Solo Leveling fans behave, no wonder they dismiss criticism under the guise of being "forced".

Like I said, I cant take u seriously when ur criticism is not serious, I took other people serious and discussed with them bc they had criticism that was discussable, but I surely dont plan on wasting my time to try to convince someone who is saying *grass is purple* that grass is green, literally, go shit on SL on some other places youll surely find someone stupid enough to argue with u, but not me, sorry.
Jul 17, 2022 8:26 AM

Jul 2019
rxseee said:
Avicebrons said:

Like I said, I cant take u seriously when ur criticism is not serious, I took other people serious and discussed with them bc they had criticism that was discussable, but I surely dont plan on wasting my time to try to convince someone who is saying *grass is purple* that grass is green, literally, go shit on SL on some other places youll surely find someone stupid enough to argue with u, but not me, sorry.

I literally explained why I didn't elaborate. And then I even gave a proper elaboration on my criticism in the form of my review. But you are just acting like a child covering your eyes and ears and refusing to actually listen cause you've already decided that you won't accept any criticism. You seem to embody the average Solo Leveling fan. Refusing to accept any criticism that isn't calling it a masterpiece. And no wonder the manhwa gets so overhyped when they have fans like this.
Subarashii
Jul 17, 2022 8:56 AM
Jun 2020
Avicebrons said:
rxseee said:

I literally explained why I didn't elaborate. And then I even gave a proper elaboration on my criticism in the form of my review. But you are just acting like a child covering your eyes and ears and refusing to actually listen cause you've already decided that you won't accept any criticism. You seem to embody the average Solo Leveling fan. Refusing to accept any criticism that isn't calling it a masterpiece. And no wonder the manhwa gets so overhyped when they have fans like this.

Bros every sentence is ClASsIc SoLo LeveLing FaN, avArAge SL FAn, EvEry Sl Fan BeHaVe LiKe ThiS hu hu he he. Bro why u so mad who hurt u. I said I wont accept YOUR criticism even before u sent whole this "elaboration" so you cant go with that Im now covering my eyes and ears blah blah shit. I literally discussed with many people in this thread so your point that Im like a scared child doesnt make sanse. One and only problem here is your lack of intellect to be at the same level as those people
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Solo Leveling Chapter 145 Discussion

asapabri - Mar 24, 2021

37 by the_foundation »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Solo Leveling Chapter 142 Discussion

zkl_ - Mar 3, 2021

27 by spicarie »»
Yesterday, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Solo Leveling Chapter 129 Discussion

lazy_Modifier - Dec 2, 2020

33 by Dgana »»
Yesterday, 2:37 AM

Poll: » Solo Leveling Chapter 196 Discussion

MegamiRem - May 3, 2023

18 by Artromex »»
Yesterday, 1:34 AM

Poll: » Solo Leveling Chapter 191 Discussion

MegamiRem - Mar 29, 2023

22 by Artromex »»
Yesterday, 12:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.