Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 3, 2022 2:01 PM

Oct 2018
I've always been intimidated to write. I want to write a comic script.

I've always felt that a bad drawing can be forgiven but a bad piece of writing is less forgivable especially on the internet.

Should I just do it and improve via feedback?
Take a course of some kind?
And when creation goes to die
You can find me in the sky
Upon the last day

And you will be okay
Jul 3, 2022 8:21 PM

Aug 2015
A simple guide on being good at writing:
Step 1: Write whatever comes to mind
Step 2: Go back and edit until it isn't shit

The above works because changing preexisting writing is easier than coming up with material from scratch. It also allows you to get the bulk of your ideas on paper quick instead of worrying about every little word.

If writing feels too daunting and intimidating, then break the process down into simpler steps. Draw up a rough outline for your story before getting into the nitty gritty of dialogue and specifics about the scenes.

One thing to keep in mind: writing scripts for a comic/graphic novel/manga is fundamentally different than writing, say, a regular novel. You need to adopt an entirely different approach to utilize the unique characteristics of comics. For example, comics rely mostly on visual stimuli, so massive exposition dumps are better explained with the drawings instead of words. This article goes into detail on the considerations you need to make when writing for specific mediums.

Lastly, remember that everything you make, at least at first, is gonna suck no matter what. There isn't a creative person on the planet who isn't embarassed by their first works. Anything you put online will be subject to criticism, so just be happy anyone took the time to engage with your work at all, and take their perspectives into consideration. Even if someone is especially vitriolic, try to glean what you can; some people can be assholes, but you won't improve by defending your pride from strangers on the internet. Best of luck.
Jul 4, 2022 3:38 AM
Jul 2018
Monrello's advice is extremely valuable, especially the first few bits. Getting something down is the unequivocal first step, and, as Monrello said, it will be awful. But it's something to think about when you're not writing. It's something to wonder about when you're in the shower. Every free moment is an opportunity for further consideration. All because you have something to consider.
Jul 5, 2022 4:02 AM

Jan 2020
A-L said:
I've always been intimidated to write. I want to write a comic script.

I've always felt that a bad drawing can be forgiven but a bad piece of writing is less forgivable especially on the internet.

I agree with the two above. I've found that just getting something down on paper makes things a lot less intimidating. I do most of my writing through stream of consciousness; and then, from there, I tend to go back and re-read and edit as necessary. But when I'm just trying to get words on paper I'm pretty much saying yes to just about every idea I get. I've found that just getting the raw idea done and on paper makes it a lot easier to work with.

My biggest piece of advice would be to simply take some time every day and write "something." It doesn't particularly matter how much, but just creating a routine will help. Even a few words is still progress toward your goal. From the time I thought about the idea until I eventually self-published my first novel it was about 6-7 years. So, it is what it is. You can go at the pace you feel most comfortable, just try and keep at it.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 7, 2022 12:07 PM

Oct 2018
@Monrello @-Kokomi- @commonxreaction Thanks for your advice and input. Very much appreciated :)
And when creation goes to die
You can find me in the sky
Upon the last day

And you will be okay
Jul 11, 2022 10:10 PM

Aug 2011
You’ve already gotten some good advice! Here’s a little exercise for you just to add to your toolbox: if you like walks bring a notebook(or anything that you can write on) with you. I find walking and letting my mind wander is really helpful for my creative process. Something about movement puts my editor mind at ease so whatever natural creative stuff flows out.
desu desu binches
Aug 16, 2022 4:52 AM
Jun 2022
Hey!
I know this feeling.... when you freeze up at the thought of putting your thoughts into words.
However, there are a few simple tips that can help you overcome your fear of writing. First, it is important to remember that no one is perfect. You will not be able to create a flawless piece of writing, and that is okay. Just do your best and be proud of what you have accomplished. Second, it is important to take your time. Do not try to force yourself to write quickly. Instead, allow yourself the time you need to gather your thoughts and put them into words. I like story about Superhero and comic book
https://assignbuster.com/superhero-and-comic-book/
Lastly, do not be afraid to ask for help if you need it.
Be yourself and don't give up! good luck :)
maxlakonsky_17Sep 8, 2022 4:02 AM
Aug 17, 2022 5:52 PM

Dec 2019
Monrello already gave really good advice, so I'll just add on to a little bit on what they said. If you want to get better, keep writing more as well.

Also here's a fun YouTube channel called "Terrible Writing Advice": https://www.youtube.com/c/TerribleWritingAdvice
Aug 18, 2022 1:42 AM
May 2022
A-L said:

Many (most?) writers feel insecure about their writing. Even successful. The best thing to do is to just start writing, every day (some more useful tips - https://ivypanda.com/blog/brainstorming-techniques/). You could also ask for feedback on the web or from friends who could give objective feedback and improve that way. I have improved that way, so hopefully, it will help you, too.

More topics from this board

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
8 minutes ago

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - 11 hours ago

4 by Kinspie13 »»
9 hours ago

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
10 hours ago

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM

» Share an ai anime pic

NowOldCow - Dec 6, 2023

19 by loligoth666 »»
Yesterday, 9:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.