Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 4, 2022 9:56 AM

May 2021
Great episode!
They found phantom zero...
This show is promising...

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Jul 4, 2022 10:06 AM

Apr 2021
Looks like a Kaiba, walks like a Dennou Coil, quacks like a... ? I'll stay tuned.
Jul 4, 2022 12:33 PM
Jun 2016
alshu said:
@FANTAMELONSODA , dude, you forgot to tag me...kind of pointles if you wanted me to participate in the discussion.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
The dystopia experienced by the alien-robots were not DUE to virtuality.

No, it was due to the horrible rules they lived under.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
They were using virtuality to interact with the slave class

I don't get it. Those guys were AIs, they literally lived in a virtual world.
And stop mentioning the slave part since I am not arguing about it at all...here we don't have that.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
It's not just some avatars clashing, it's actual physical objects with human lives on the line.

Not from the POV of the AIs (well, the most of them).

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Marxist class consciousness isn't about the authoritarian crimes against humanity in communist history and is not related to the gulag (which isn't virtual, it was REAL).

One of the key components of marxism is that every member of society should be doing something for it, they should be productive.
And here the problem with dystopian marxist societies - the rules who is being productive and who isn't are pretty messed up. And if you have forgotten, the AI version of Kaburagi - the MC of Deca-Dence was thrown at a horrible virtual prison of sorts for being unproductive (but actually not fitting the society all that well)...and the conditions there on conceptional level (the supposed reeducation with labor) weren't very different from what you could find in the real island of Gulag at certain historical period.
Also I am pretty sure when you write gulag without a capital letter it means an institution with similar functions...so are you playing dumb with your "But Gulag was a real place"?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Also being oppressed at gunpoint is NOT equal to economic oppression

Are you still talking about the humans in Deca-Dence? Wasn't I clear that I am talking about the AIs in that show...or you are skipping that on purpose?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Ultimately there is no unique idea in Deca-Dence

Yeah actually you are right...there are no original ideas in sci-fi since the 70s...but some of the interpretations of those ideas also how those are used in Deca-Dence give me strong Yurei Deco vibes.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Deca-Dence is just a small blip and I doubt the creators were even aware of it.

In the bigger scale of the things it isn't even a blip...but no doubt it was playing with some very interesting concepts, which the regular virtual reality anime will skip. For example on conceptual level your favorite Fractal was pretty standard and dull in comparison.

I replied but deleted the quotes because this is just spamming the thread with off-topic nonsense.

You keep derailing the topics and don't even accept when you're wrong. When I said there was no Marxist class consciousness, you said "What about that time when the MC was thrown at what is basically a virtual gulag?" then you are trying to justify that gulag is inherently Marxist, which is an uneducated claim, and also equating class consciousness with something that is not even remotely related like the gulag is just a blatant category error like equating a square and a circle. Also there are no MARXIST societies in Deca-Dence, you are completely wrong when you say there is a dystopian Marxist society in there. The robots don't live in a communist world, it's literally a corporation. Thus the use of the Marxist class consciousness is between the slave humans and the master robots.

Also your claim that they were an AI thus virtual is false and shows how desperate you are to qualify your arguments. Here is a difference between virtual and artifical intelligence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_intelligence In Deca-Dence, the AI are operating with general intelligence which is as "real" as it can get (Turing Test-wise), the only difference is in the ontology of consciousness, but in this case it doesn't matter (in the context that physicalists treat consciousness as a non-entity).

Ultimately, I am only arguing against your claim that Yurei Deco borrowed ideas from Deca-Dence and I am reiterating this because you keep moving the goalposts and you still keep insisting that Yurei Deco borrowed ideas from Deca-Dence. It is absurd.
Jul 4, 2022 12:43 PM
Jun 2016
off-season said:
Looks like a Kaiba, walks like a Dennou Coil, quacks like a... ? I'll stay tuned.

Exactly. Kaiba is an original story by Yuasa as well, and Yuasa is credited as original creator of Yurei Deco with Dai Satoh.
Jul 4, 2022 1:06 PM

Mar 2020
Honestly, it was something that I didn't like very much for the first episode, both because of the choice and boldness of choosing very strong and exuberant colors that caused me quite a headache (although this is something very subjective on my part)
but it is certainly beautiful. But check it out, we're talking about an animation by Science SARU that surely must have something very deep and very complicated behind it all.
From now on, I will patiently wait for the end of the anime so that I can taste it in a pleasant way and at least try to unravel what it has to propose.
Jul 4, 2022 2:06 PM

May 2018
FANTAMELONSODA said:

I replied but deleted the quote

Why not simply tag me with @ and my user name after it?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
You keep derailing the topics

I said something about taking ideas from certain show and you pulled some stuff about avatarization, class consciousness, slaves ect, then ignored those different levels of social oppression in Deca-Dance I was talking about...so who is derailing here?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
don't even accept when you're wrong

I am wrong from having a bit different impression about Deca-Dance from yours?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
When I said there was no Marxist class consciousness, you said "What about that time when the MC was thrown at what is basically a virtual gulag?"

I did that because you derailed the conversation towards your favourite "humans were slave in Deca-Dance"...so I tried to turn back to what I was talking about - the social oppression of the AIs there.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
then you are trying to justify that gulag is inherently Marxist, which is an uneducated claim

As far as antiutopia systems pretend to be utopias it's even no topic with the episode of Yurei Deco.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
equating class consciousness with something that is not even remotely related like the gulag is just a blatant category error

It was you who pushed class consciousness into the conversion with zero relevancy...it was easier to push it out, not respond to it.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Also there are no MARXIST societies in Deca-Dence,

Yes there aren't...but there is that idea of productivity (which makes it kind of Marxist) and the MC went into sort of a gulag despite being very productive, because he was inconvenient to the system in other ways...

FANTAMELONSODA said:
The robots don't live in a communist world, it's literally a corporation.

Actually they both have some similar traits, but do you know what wasn't like in a corporation? You can work for one or you don't, nobody would be care, die out of hunger if you will. But in a communist system if you don't contribute to society there is supposedly something wrong with you, thus you should be reformed.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Those robots didn't

Yeah, those being tortured with dangerous and pointless work (since sone AI with no personalities could be used for it) totally proves your point.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Thus the use of the Marxist class consciousness is between the slave humans and the master robots.

And I never cared for this, since so far it's not seen in Yurei Deco...

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Also your claim that they were an AI thus virtual is false and shows how desperate you are to qualify your arguments.

O RLY?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
the AI are operating with general intelligence which is as "real" as it can get (Turing Test-wise), the only difference is in the ontology of consciousness, but in this case it doesn't matter (in the context that physicalists treat consciousness as a non-entity).

Sounds like "bla-bla-bla" to me.
They are AIs, they can communicate via some sort of network where the virtual part happens, but also they can exist separately. Also they can have copies.
For example in the prison they interacted with it through some sort of virtual representation, not how the real maintenance place looked like.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
I am reiterating this because you keep moving the goalposts

So I started talking first about avatarization, Marxism, class consciousness and slaves?

Do you say that to everyone who disagrees with you?
Jul 4, 2022 5:11 PM
Jun 2016
alshu said:
FANTAMELONSODA said:

I replied but deleted the quote

Why not simply tag me with @ and my user name after it?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
You keep derailing the topics

I said something about taking ideas from certain show and you pulled some stuff about avatarization, class consciousness, slaves ect, then ignored those different levels of social oppression in Deca-Dance I was talking about...so who is derailing here?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
don't even accept when you're wrong

I am wrong from having a bit different impression about Deca-Dance from yours?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
When I said there was no Marxist class consciousness, you said "What about that time when the MC was thrown at what is basically a virtual gulag?"

I did that because you derailed the conversation towards your favourite "humans were slave in Deca-Dance"...so I tried to turn back to what I was talking about - the social oppression of the AIs there.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
then you are trying to justify that gulag is inherently Marxist, which is an uneducated claim

As far as antiutopia systems pretend to be utopias it's even no topic with the episode of Yurei Deco.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
equating class consciousness with something that is not even remotely related like the gulag is just a blatant category error

It was you who pushed class consciousness into the conversion with zero relevancy...it was easier to push it out, not respond to it.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Also there are no MARXIST societies in Deca-Dence,

Yes there aren't...but there is that idea of productivity (which makes it kind of Marxist) and the MC went into sort of a gulag despite being very productive, because he was inconvenient to the system in other ways...

FANTAMELONSODA said:
The robots don't live in a communist world, it's literally a corporation.

Actually they both have some similar traits, but do you know what wasn't like in a corporation? You can work for one or you don't, nobody would be care, die out of hunger if you will. But in a communist system if you don't contribute to society there is supposedly something wrong with you, thus you should be reformed.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Those robots didn't

Yeah, those being tortured with dangerous and pointless work (since sone AI with no personalities could be used for it) totally proves your point.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Thus the use of the Marxist class consciousness is between the slave humans and the master robots.

And I never cared for this, since so far it's not seen in Yurei Deco...

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Also your claim that they were an AI thus virtual is false and shows how desperate you are to qualify your arguments.

O RLY?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
the AI are operating with general intelligence which is as "real" as it can get (Turing Test-wise), the only difference is in the ontology of consciousness, but in this case it doesn't matter (in the context that physicalists treat consciousness as a non-entity).

Sounds like "bla-bla-bla" to me.
They are AIs, they can communicate via some sort of network where the virtual part happens, but also they can exist separately. Also they can have copies.
For example in the prison they interacted with it through some sort of virtual representation, not how the real maintenance place looked like.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
I am reiterating this because you keep moving the goalposts

So I started talking first about avatarization, Marxism, class consciousness and slaves?

Do you say that to everyone who disagrees with you?

First, you said Yurei Deco borrowed ideas from Deca-Dence without explaining which ideas, so I explained the main ideas in Deca-Dence that you might be referring to. I only mentioned Marxist class consciousness because that was the one thing Deca-Dence should've gotten right but missed it big time, making it third-rate schlock. It was meant to dismiss Deca-Dence's value and possibility as a source of inspiration to a Japan Purple Ribbon winner (Masaaki Yuasa). The alien robots could've represented the capitalist class in real life, and humans the proletariat, but they turned it into some rebel hero and an irregular human saving the humans. But then you adamantly tried to qualify Deca-Dence as some Marxist work when it is quite clear you are unfamiliar with Marxism, even erroneously calling a literal capitalist corporation as Marxist just because you want to qualify it as such. Fractale, as an anime, is trash. But conceptually, as it was written by Marxist critic of otaku culture Hiroki Azuma, it was extremely interesting: post-scarcity postmodern world where virtual goods take the place of real ones. Virtuality is a postmodern concept where symbols lose their referents, and yet the symbols are treated as the referent. AI is not a symbol referring to something else, it is literally the thing itself. Artificial is NOT equal to virtual. Sci-Fi dystopias with cyborgs are NOT virtual dystopias, because cyborgs are not virtual. If you are so confident with your authority over the equivalence of artificial and virtual you can publish your work at arXiv or you can start by editing the wikipedia page.

Virtuality is clearly a main theme between Yurei Deco and Fractale and Dennou Coil. Their immediate reality is augmented with a virtual reality. In Deca-Dence, there literally is no virtual reality, just remote avatars. That is not what virtual reality is. If a surgeon is using a remote avatar to do a heart transplant, everything happening there is not virtual, the transplant is actual. In Deca-Dence, the Ranker system is not the mandatory economic/social currency for all robots, unlike the Love currency in Yurei Deco. The robots in the robot corporation (clearly not Marxist) have roles and dissidents are punished in the very real robot gulag--not virtual as you claim it to be.
Jul 4, 2022 6:31 PM
Jul 2019
Dickegrobe said:
I'm a bit undecided about that currency thing being perceived as "social credit" in this discussion here. I'd say that - for now (e.i. episode 1) - it's just plain currency. Also, the setting seems more like a corporate-driven dystopia to me - I mean isn't that "love" crap literally about buying shit?

I mean the pink girl gets currency from uploading a selfie, and i'ts super clear that those are likes, plus the girl is hopign to get love from uncovering the Zero thing, so we can assume that being well liked directly relates to having more love, independent of your job- But the main thing would be the much faster consecuaneces of not having love, that is your Deco model being shit and people disliking you more for it.
Though the main thing would be access to public services and benefits, but i doubt the anime will go there for more than 2 lines
Jul 5, 2022 1:50 AM

May 2018
FANTAMELONSODA said:

First, you said Yurei Deco borrowed ideas from Deca-Dence without explaining which ideas

It was just a note from my impressions. I didn't wanted to go deep with that...and I still haven't.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
so I explained the main ideas in Deca-Dence that you might be referring to

No, you directly putted words in my mouth. At least you could add "I guess you are implying..." but you didn't.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
making it third-rate schlock

Yes, Deca-Dance is a third-rate schlock but at least tried to play with interesting concepts.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
dismiss Deca-Dence's value and possibility as a source of inspiration to a Japan Purple Ribbon winner (Masaaki Yuasa).

Isn't it impossible for an author to see something flowed, get inspired and improve upon it?
Not to mention not all Yuasa ideas are always winners...and it's kind of given. When you are doing experiments some of those will eventually fail.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
The alien robots could've represented the capitalist class in real life, and humans the proletariat

I don't think that this is the core idea in Deca-Dance to begin with. It's more about different systems of deceiving interacting with each other.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
But then you adamantly tried to qualify Deca-Dence as some Marxist work

Not really. I see such element only in the society in which the AIs live...

FANTAMELONSODA said:
when it is quite clear you are unfamiliar with Marxism

Actually I am, it even seams quite fair in theory...but the shows we are talking about deal with dystopia. You are supposed to take social ideas an turn then into their worst versions.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
erroneously calling a literal capitalist corporation as Marxist

And from my point of view it is you misinterpreting Deca-Dance also having no idea how communist corporations work (unsurprisingly very similar to the capitalist ones).

FANTAMELONSODA said:
But conceptually, as it was written by Marxist critic of otaku culture Hiroki Azuma

And this is why it's not interesting to bring it here - criticizing Marxim in particular is not the main goal, more like showcasing the instrument dystopian societies use to crush individualism.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
it was extremely interesting: post-scarcity postmodern world where virtual goods take the place of real ones.

Yeah interesting, even reliable to Yurei Deco but I didn't talked about that aspect.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Virtuality is a postmodern concept where symbols lose their referents, and yet the symbols are treated as the referent.

Are we back to avatarization yet again?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
AI is not a symbol referring to something else, it is literally the thing itself.

I mean some AIs are treated as characters in Deca-Dance (and in Ghost In The Shell for example) so all the rules for fictional characters apply to them. This is not necessary a realistic treatment ass you will do to an actual AI.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Artificial is NOT equal to virtual.

But those AIs communicate with each other via an virtual world of sorts.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Sci-Fi dystopias with cyborgs are NOT virtual dystopias

Not all of them...mostly the ones conceived in the pre-internet era. (If we take the 70s as the beginning of the internet era.)

FANTAMELONSODA said:
because cyborgs are not virtual

With the introduction of the concept of being connected to a network with various shared resources 100% of the time they surely begun operating in a virtual world too.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
If you are so confident with your authority over the equivalence of artificial and virtual you can publish your work at arXiv or you can start by editing the wikipedia page.

Or maybe you are interpreting said page in a very narrow and specific way?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
In Deca-Dence, there literally is no virtual reality, just remote avatars.

Naaah.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
That is not what virtual reality is.

Not only Deca-Dance had virtual realty but also it applied it on multiple levels (for the bots, for the humans).

FANTAMELONSODA said:
If a surgeon is using a remote avatar to do a heart transplant, everything happening there is not virtual, the transplant is actual.

But the way said robotic avatar is controlled could have some virtual components. It even could have some independence (AI) in order to prevent mistakes.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
In Deca-Dence, the Ranker system is not the mandatory economic/social currency for all robots, unlike the Love currency in Yurei Deco.

Frankly said I don't remember exactly...it was kind of very important tho (like only elite robots didn't need it?)...also I never said it's an exact copy.
The idea is having a score system which is not fair to begin with and than having some twists.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
punished in the very real robot gulag--not virtual as you claim it to be.

It had real parts of course, but the forced augmented realty of the bots added some torture also prevented them to find an escape route.
Jul 5, 2022 6:29 AM
Jun 2016
alshu said:

And from my point of view it is you misinterpreting Deca-Dance also having no idea how communist corporations work (unsurprisingly very similar to the capitalist ones).

COMMUNIST CORPORATIONS. LMFAO. First you equate robots with virtuality. Then you equate a MEGACORPORATION with COMMUNISM lmfao. The great robot sci-fi authors such as Asimov didn't write their works just so you could treat AI as virtual--these works attempt to render the robot-human dichotomy as nonsense (in a mostly functionalist, and sometimes also physicalist sense). In Deca-Dence, they are embodied agents with a physical--not virtual--body. Even their avatars are not virtual, they are physical. In Deca-Dence, Solid Quake is a literal MEGACORPORATION governed by authoritarian rule, and is not communist. The robots don't own the means of production, it's just one entity.
Jul 5, 2022 7:46 AM

May 2018
FANTAMELONSODA said:

COMMUNIST CORPORATIONS. LMFAO..

Big corporations owned by the government were a thing in the Eastern Block, still are in China for example...are even growing bigger.
Chances are the device you are using to read this was made by such.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
First you equate robots with virtuality.

Those robots were totally communicating via virtual reality, no matter how narrow minded you are using said sci-fi terms.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Then you equate a MEGACORPORATION with COMMUNISM lmfao.

Yeah, repeat that one more time, still industry and economy, even in their communist versions need big structures like that.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
The great robot sci-fi authors such as Asimov didn't write their works

Yep, internet and virtual reality wasn't a thing back in the Golden Age of sci-fi. Authors begun exploring such ideas later in the New Wave era...but still not a smaller scale.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
treat AI as virtual--these works attempt to render the robot-human dichotomy as nonsense (in a mostly functionalist, and sometimes also physicalist sense).

Using fancy words which make no sense when added together to demonstrate mock my idea what is going on in Deca-Dance is fun but doesn't convince me.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
In Deca-Dence, they are embodied agents with a physical--not virtual--body.

But they also use virtual reality.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Even their avatars are not virtual, they are physical.

Both their human-like bodies (avatars) and actual robot bodies are physical...still they control their avatars via virtual reality and perceive the actual world with their actual bodies trough augmented reality (well most of the time).

FANTAMELONSODA said:
In Deca-Dence, Solid Quake is a literal MEGACORPORATION governed by authoritarian rule, and is not communist.

- As previously mentioned the existence of megacoporations is compatible with a communist type of economy.
- Authoritarian rule totally possible with a communist type of government too.
- I think (and this was my point from the get go) we see some traits in their society which point at a communist type of society.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
The robots don't own the means of production, it's just one entity.

Communism doesn't work like that. In theory everybody owns part of everything but the government (the system or whatever) is managing it for them all. It provides you with some basic stuff (free education, free healthcare) but than it's up to you to become more skillful and useful to it, thus rise in the ranks. The higher your rank is, the more personal resources you will get...
And megacoporations totally can exist in such system, not to mention you need them in order to use a simple everyday object like a smartphone. A complex conglomerate of different companies working in several types of industries (heavy and light) is needed only to produce it...even bigger conglomerate to build and maintain the cell towers...even bigger for a worldwide computer network...ect.
alshuJul 5, 2022 7:57 AM
Jul 5, 2022 11:41 AM

Oct 2013
This is like Adventure Time/other cartoon network style show But like up the level with Japanese animation!
crazy like '80s vibe but in the future
Jul 5, 2022 12:59 PM
Jun 2016
alshu said:
FANTAMELONSODA said:

COMMUNIST CORPORATIONS. LMFAO..

Big corporations owned by the government were a thing in the Eastern Block, still are in China for example...are even growing bigger.
Chances are the device you are using to read this was made by such.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
First you equate robots with virtuality.

Those robots were totally communicating via virtual reality, no matter how narrow minded you are using said sci-fi terms.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Then you equate a MEGACORPORATION with COMMUNISM lmfao.

Yeah, repeat that one more time, still industry and economy, even in their communist versions need big structures like that.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
The great robot sci-fi authors such as Asimov didn't write their works

Yep, internet and virtual reality wasn't a thing back in the Golden Age of sci-fi. Authors begun exploring such ideas later in the New Wave era...but still not a smaller scale.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
treat AI as virtual--these works attempt to render the robot-human dichotomy as nonsense (in a mostly functionalist, and sometimes also physicalist sense).

Using fancy words which make no sense when added together to demonstrate mock my idea what is going on in Deca-Dance is fun but doesn't convince me.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
In Deca-Dence, they are embodied agents with a physical--not virtual--body.

But they also use virtual reality.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Even their avatars are not virtual, they are physical.

Both their human-like bodies (avatars) and actual robot bodies are physical...still they control their avatars via virtual reality and perceive the actual world with their actual bodies trough augmented reality (well most of the time).

FANTAMELONSODA said:
In Deca-Dence, Solid Quake is a literal MEGACORPORATION governed by authoritarian rule, and is not communist.

- As previously mentioned the existence of megacoporations is compatible with a communist type of economy.
- Authoritarian rule totally possible with a communist type of government too.
- I think (and this was my point from the get go) we see some traits in their society which point at a communist type of society.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
The robots don't own the means of production, it's just one entity.

Communism doesn't work like that. In theory everybody owns part of everything but the government (the system or whatever) is managing it for them all. It provides you with some basic stuff (free education, free healthcare) but than it's up to you to become more skillful and useful to it, thus rise in the ranks. The higher your rank is, the more personal resources you will get...
And megacoporations totally can exist in such system, not to mention you need them in order to use a simple everyday object like a smartphone. A complex conglomerate of different companies working in several types of industries (heavy and light) is needed only to produce it...even bigger conglomerate to build and maintain the cell towers...even bigger for a worldwide computer network...ect.

You are making your own definitions of already established terms. Virtual reality is defined as COMPLETE simulation, which substitutes "real reality". Virtual reality is DISTINCT from augmented and mixed realities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_reality. These are no-nonsense, fancy words. These are complicated topics that need nuance that you refuse to comprehend (or, more obviously, simply lack the faculty to do so). Equating AI with virtual reality is so mind-numbingly laughable and sad, but I still left you with vectors of justifying the "virtuality" of AI by mentioning functionalism and physicalism (which are not fancy words, these literally mean what they say: function, and physicality).

There are NO corporations in Marx's Communism. In the Soviet Union, they had enterprises: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprises_in_the_Soviet_Union Corporations have a strict definition under capitalism: "by whether they can issue stock, or by whether they are formed to make a profit" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation In current day China, they have corporations, but they are NOT a Communist country, they are state capitalism. These terms have clearly defined meanings and you don't get to blur these definitions just because you want so badly to qualify your wrong opinions. These entities are fundamentally different because they exist within a starkly different system of laws. There is NOTHING Communist about a MEGACORPORATION that is owned by one entity.

Finally, I will try to be charitable and entertain how Deca-Dence's "Virtual Reality" (according to you) may have been borrowed by Masaaki Yuasa (who already made a cyberpunk cyborg show about switching bodies 12 years prior to Deca-Dence). In the single episode that we have of Yurei Deco, we see a completely Virtual World running parallel to the real world, which is emphasized by Berry's broken eye which doesn't see the virtual decos. It can turn into a mix of augmented and mixed reality, but it is apparent that eyes that don't see decos are seen as something to be fixed by an ophthalmologist. In this Virtual World, decos are as "REAL" as they get, and people work hard for Love to afford better decos to increase their quality of life.

Now where in Deca-Dence did they explicate this? Your only vector is qualifying Deca-Dence as "Virtual Reality" because "Robots are Virtual" but where are the robots in Yurei Deco? Is this kind of "Virtuality" the same "virtuality" explicated in Yurei Deco? Does virtuality subsume the ENTIRETY of their daily lives, not just in the theme park called Deca-Dence, just like in Yurei Deco and Fractale and Dennou Coil? By definition, by being virtual it means it refers to something real that doesn't physically exist. But avatars exists physically. Uploading the AI mind into another body is not virtuality. Suppose that the avatars themselves are holographic, and the humans are completely virtual, then indeed there will be a virtual world called Deca-Dence.

Also you are equating the rise of computers and the internet with virtual, which is completely false. You should follow the definition of words and not make things up like "robots are virtual so robot sci-fi are virtual sci-fi" when Asimov very clearly wants to ask: "what makes you human and not a robot though" and make you realize the functionality of humanity compared to robots and notice no difference. Then you tell Asimov, "hey, robots are virtual lol" because somehow you think you are more educated then him.
hiatusbyeatusJul 5, 2022 1:31 PM
Jul 5, 2022 3:05 PM

Jul 2016
Not too crazy about the premise so far.

OK start overall. Looking forward to seeing what direction the plot will take.
Jul 6, 2022 1:06 AM

Jun 2013
I have no idea what I just watched, but i'm all for it
Jul 6, 2022 1:20 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
the guy with a fish avatar is named Isda. In Tagalog that word literally means fish.

Anyway, I was totally going to ignore this at first but I saw that it's by ScienceSaru and now I'm intrigued! Basically, it's a world where "Likes" are currency and everyone has AR implants that lets them pretty much alter the way they see reality and how people see them.

This episode was just pretty much an introduction to the world and characters so I am interested to see what will be the main conflict of the show. I'm guessing it will revolve around the Phantom Zero glitch.

Jul 6, 2022 1:35 AM
Jun 2020
Absolutely love the art style, world and character designs as well as the colour palette! Already hooked into the premise so far, can't wait to see where thies goes after that bit of a cliffhanger! My only "criticism" after just this episode is the repetitive phrases from both main characters very quickly gets old and loses it's charm... I really do hope the upcoming episodes feature less of these sort of catch phrases/speech quirks. Excited for more!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 6, 2022 2:03 AM

May 2018
FANTAMELONSODA said:

You are making your own definitions of already established terms.

Or you are using those inappropriately.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Virtual reality is defined as COMPLETE simulation, which substitutes "real reality".

Yep, they are using that too, but interact with the real world too...is this inconceivable?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Virtual reality is DISTINCT from augmented

Yes, and augmented reality is layering virtual reality over real reality...so you need virtual reality in the first place.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
These are no-nonsense, fancy words.

In your previous post you used some fancy words like robot-human dichotomy in a sentence which didn't make sense to me...thus I complained about.
So when you use such terminology better apply it to say something not just to flash out your glossary.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
These are complicated topics that need nuance that you refuse to comprehend

Naaah, you weren't going that deep with said sentence.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Equating AI with virtual reality is so mind-numbingly laughable

I never did that. Virtual reality is more of a media...maybe you need some AIs to run it, but I didn't go in that direction.
What I talked is about AIs living in it and interacting with it, but also having some relations with the real world too. Is that unthinkable?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
but I still left you with vectors of justifying the "virtuality" of AI by mentioning functionalism and physicalism (which are not fancy words, these literally mean what they say: function, and physicality).

Lorem Ipsum it is.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
There are NO corporations in Marx's Communism.

But you have industry in that concept...thus you must have industrial corporations.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
In the Soviet Union, they had enterprises

Same difference.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
but they are NOT a Communist country

The Eastern Block wasn't too, but those are the only IRL examples closest to a communist type of economy...and those were/are pretty close to their western counterparts. The main difference being centralized management from the government which is kind of slow to react to changing economical circumstances or can hinder for purely political reasons.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
you don't get to blur these definitions just because you want so badly to qualify your wrong opinions

Or you are using those definitions in very limited and twisted ways.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
MEGACORPORATION that is owned by one entity.

And that entity can be the government or some sort of international organization.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
In the single episode that we have of Yurei Deco, we see a completely Virtual World running parallel to the real world

We have that in Deca-Dance too.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Now where in Deca-Dence did they explicate this?

We see switching between full virtual reality, to augmented reality to reality. From human and robot perspective.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Your only vector is qualifying Deca-Dence as "Virtual Reality" because "Robots are Virtual"

Yey for always misquote and misinterpret me!
What part of they are robots who use virtual rea...you know what, I don't care anymore. You are obviously trashposting at this point.
There are other shows which use a mix of AIs, cyborgs, robots, mechs, virtual reality, augmented reality and this on multiple layers...titles like Ghost In The Shell and Psycho Pass for example.
As motioned the relations I see between Deca-Dance and Yurei Deco are more on the level how some of those are played with.
If you don't see such connections you can only disagree, You also can disagree with my ways of using sci-fi, political and economical jargon. Tho you are not convince me tho change them.
Jul 6, 2022 1:01 PM
Jun 2016
alshu said:
FANTAMELONSODA said:

You are making your own definitions of already established terms.

Or you are using those inappropriately.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Virtual reality is defined as COMPLETE simulation, which substitutes "real reality".

Yep, they are using that too, but interact with the real world too...is this inconceivable?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Virtual reality is DISTINCT from augmented

Yes, and augmented reality is layering virtual reality over real reality...so you need virtual reality in the first place.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
These are no-nonsense, fancy words.

In your previous post you used some fancy words like robot-human dichotomy in a sentence which didn't make sense to me...thus I complained about.
So when you use such terminology better apply it to say something not just to flash out your glossary.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
These are complicated topics that need nuance that you refuse to comprehend

Naaah, you weren't going that deep with said sentence.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Equating AI with virtual reality is so mind-numbingly laughable

I never did that. Virtual reality is more of a media...maybe you need some AIs to run it, but I didn't go in that direction.
What I talked is about AIs living in it and interacting with it, but also having some relations with the real world too. Is that unthinkable?

FANTAMELONSODA said:
but I still left you with vectors of justifying the "virtuality" of AI by mentioning functionalism and physicalism (which are not fancy words, these literally mean what they say: function, and physicality).

Lorem Ipsum it is.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
There are NO corporations in Marx's Communism.

But you have industry in that concept...thus you must have industrial corporations.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
In the Soviet Union, they had enterprises

Same difference.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
but they are NOT a Communist country

The Eastern Block wasn't too, but those are the only IRL examples closest to a communist type of economy...and those were/are pretty close to their western counterparts. The main difference being centralized management from the government which is kind of slow to react to changing economical circumstances or can hinder for purely political reasons.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
you don't get to blur these definitions just because you want so badly to qualify your wrong opinions

Or you are using those definitions in very limited and twisted ways.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
MEGACORPORATION that is owned by one entity.

And that entity can be the government or some sort of international organization.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
In the single episode that we have of Yurei Deco, we see a completely Virtual World running parallel to the real world

We have that in Deca-Dance too.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Now where in Deca-Dence did they explicate this?

We see switching between full virtual reality, to augmented reality to reality. From human and robot perspective.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Your only vector is qualifying Deca-Dence as "Virtual Reality" because "Robots are Virtual"

Yey for always misquote and misinterpret me!
What part of they are robots who use virtual rea...you know what, I don't care anymore. You are obviously trashposting at this point.
There are other shows which use a mix of AIs, cyborgs, robots, mechs, virtual reality, augmented reality and this on multiple layers...titles like Ghost In The Shell and Psycho Pass for example.
As motioned the relations I see between Deca-Dance and Yurei Deco are more on the level how some of those are played with.
If you don't see such connections you can only disagree, You also can disagree with my ways of using sci-fi, political and economical jargon. Tho you are not convince me tho change them.

Yes I am shitposting because this is extremely funny to me and I'd like to apologize, but this is some peak Dunning-Kruger example you are showing here among other cognitive biases, just because you can't accept you're wrong, even changing definitions of terms without giving sources to your justifications. "Communist Corporations" "same difference" LOL so Communism and Capitalism are the same in your head too? LMFAO. You aren't even giving ACTUAL EXAMPLES of virtual reality in Deca-Dence. Deca-Dence is NOT a Virtual World. The robot world is NOT a Virtual World. You are equating their digital communications as virtual, and you don't even have the slightest clue what "virtual" means in the postmodern definition that sci-fi writers are using. Not all cyborg/AI shows have a virtuality theme, and there's a huge difference between postmodern virtuality where symbols replace the referents, and where communication is mediated by technology.

Also to help you with your elementary English vocabulary I'm going to link the definitions so you can learn something:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichotomy#Usage_and_examples
Human Robot Dichotomy therefore is a conceptual division between humans and sentient machines that implies different ethical treatments, much like the Gender Binary. Most cyborg sci-fi questions this dichotomy, and Ghost in the Shell goes so far as to refer to an emergent "consciousness" called Ghosts in machines.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/physicalism/
Physicalism means EVERYTHING, even concepts and consciousness, can be explained physically, in the form of matter or energy and the physical relationship between them. Physicalism can both be used FOR and AGAINST the human robot dichotomy. For FOR, a robot brain that is physically equivalent to the human brain are equal, OR the more controversial FOR is that human consciousness is an illusion, therefore it is wrong to assume robots don't "experience" the same illusory consciousness, even if they're made purely of code. AGAINST is just negation of FOR with robots not having the exact physical model of human consciousness not being considered conscious.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/functionalism/
Functionalism is used in theories of mind where the physical state of the object is not relevant, only its behavior (function) in relation to others in the environment. Machine State Functionalism goes so far as to propose a computational model of mind that subsumes human, animal, and machine cognition. In this view, there is no human-machine dichotomy, and both are computational "animals".

Physicalism and functionalism are two of the MOST important concepts when thinking about AI and the human-machine dichotomy. These are important because YOU treat Robot interaction as virtual when they are simply communicating electronically as opposed to robots MEDIATING their communications with NON-PHYSICAL symbols. When a robot talks to another robot through a webcam, that is NOT necessarily virtual reality unless they manipulate their images on screen. When a robot uses a remote physical avatar to interact with humans, that is not virtual reality. There is no mediation between what they see in Deca-Dence, they are literally seeing the reality of human deaths and gadoll destruction. To help you visualize this, instead of treating the robots in Deca-Dence as robots, treat them as humans. The story then becomes: a previously enslaved class of humans (Robots) rises against their masters (Humans) and forms a CAPITALIST MEGACORPORATION that buys the rights to the ex-master humans to be treated as slaves in a theme park (where does Marx condone the existence of slaves again?). These ex-slave humans (robots) live their lives under authoritarian rule as the CAPITALIST MEGACORPORATION is owned and governed by one entity. These ex-slave humans use remote-avatars to interact with DECA-DENCE. It is clearer to see the dichotomy dissolve with this simple cognitive trick. The communications between these ex-slave humans aren't the same kind of mediated communications in Yurei Deco.
hiatusbyeatusJul 6, 2022 2:14 PM
Jul 6, 2022 1:28 PM

May 2018
FANTAMELONSODA said:
because this is extremely funny to me

You are easy to please I guess.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
just because you can't accept you're wrong

But I am not.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
"Communist Corporations" "same difference" LOL so Communism and Capitalism are the same in your head too? LMFAO.

I was talking about the common taints which are somehow inevitable from industrial point of view...but of course you will twist the things as if I said they are one and the some...
Wow, entertainment!

FANTAMELONSODA said:
You aren't even giving ACTUAL EXAMPLES of virtual reality in Deca-Dence.

Why should I? We are not doing a deep analysis, just talking about "Why X cartoon reminds me if Y cartoon". Not to mention if you want the episodes and the time codes I should rewatch it again or something...not in the mood for that.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Deca-Dence is NOT a Virtual World.

Not the whole show...there are instances of charters on it who diving in such.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
The robot world is NOT a Virtual World.

It is real and also it has virtual world in it, which the robots use to live in. They occasionality dive in or out. Sometimes communicate via, in or out of it.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
you don't even have the slightest clue what "virtual" means

Not by your twisted definition.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Not all cyborg/AI shows have a virtuality theme

This one has.
Jul 6, 2022 2:14 PM
Jun 2016
alshu said:
FANTAMELONSODA said:
because this is extremely funny to me

FANTAMELONSODA said:
just because you can't accept you're wrong

But I am not.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
"Communist Corporations" "same difference" LOL so Communism and Capitalism are the same in your head too? LMFAO.

I was talking about the common taints which are somehow inevitable from industrial point of view...but of course you will twist the things as if I said they are one and the some...
Wow, entertainment!

FANTAMELONSODA said:

Why should I? We are not doing a deep analysis, just talking about "Why X cartoon reminds me if Y cartoon". Not to mention if you want the episodes and the time codes I should rewatch it again or something...not in the mood for that.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Deca-Dence is NOT a Virtual World.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
The robot world is NOT a Virtual World.

It is real and also it has virtual world in it, which the robots use to live in. They occasionality dive in or out. Sometimes communicate via, in or out of it.

FANTAMELONSODA said:
you don't even have the slightest clue what "virtual" means

FANTAMELONSODA said:
Not all cyborg/AI shows have a virtuality theme

This one has.

Also to help you with your elementary English vocabulary I'm going to link the definitions so you can learn something:
Human Robot Dichotomy therefore is a conceptual division between humans and sentient machines that implies different ethical treatments, much like the Gender Binary. Most cyborg sci-fi questions this dichotomy, and Ghost in the Shell goes so far as to refer to an emergent "consciousness" called Ghosts in machines.
Physicalism means EVERYTHING, even concepts and consciousness, can be explained physically, in the form of matter or energy and the physical relationship between them. Physicalism can both be used FOR and AGAINST the human robot dichotomy. For FOR, a robot brain that is physically equivalent to the human brain are equal, OR the more controversial FOR is that human consciousness is an illusion, therefore it is wrong to assume robots don't "experience" the same illusory consciousness, even if they're made purely of code. AGAINST is just negation of FOR with robots not having the exact physical model of human consciousness not being considered conscious.
Functionalism is used in theories of mind where the physical state of the object is not relevant, only its behavior (function) in relation to others in the environment. Machine State Functionalism goes so far as to propose a computational model of mind that subsumes human, animal, and machine cognition. In this view, there is no human-machine dichotomy, and both are computational "animals".

Physicalism and functionalism are two of the MOST important concepts when thinking about AI and the human-machine dichotomy. These are important because YOU treat Robot interaction as virtual when they are simply communicating electronically as opposed to robots MEDIATING their communications with NON-PHYSICAL symbols. When a robot talks to another robot through a webcam, that is NOT necessarily virtual reality unless they manipulate their images on screen. When a robot uses a remote physical avatar to interact with humans, that is not virtual reality. There is no mediation between what they see in Deca-Dence, they are literally seeing the reality of human deaths and gadoll destruction. To help you visualize this, instead of treating the robots in Deca-Dence as robots, treat them as humans. The story then becomes: a previously enslaved class of humans (Robots) rises against their masters (Humans) and forms a CAPITALIST MEGACORPORATION that buys the rights to the ex-master humans to be treated as slaves in a theme park (where does Marx condone the existence of slaves again?). These ex-slave humans (robots) live their lives under authoritarian rule as the CAPITALIST MEGACORPORATION is owned and governed by one entity. These ex-slave humans use remote-avatars to interact with DECA-DENCE. It is clearer to see the dichotomy dissolve with this simple cognitive trick. The communications between these ex-slave humans aren't the same kind of mediated communications in Yurei Deco.
Jul 6, 2022 2:19 PM
Jun 2016
alshu said:

FANTAMELONSODA said:

So "JUST BELIEVE ME BRO BECAUSE I SAID SO BUT I'M NOT QUOTING RELEVANT SOURCES BRO" that is how you think lmao.

Also lmao at "COMMUNIST ROBOT CORPORATION THAT HAS A LITERAL SLAVE PROLETARIAT HUMAN CLASS"
Jul 6, 2022 2:27 PM

May 2018
FANTAMELONSODA said:
alshu said:

But I am not.

Wow, entertainment!

This one has.

tl;dr

FANTAMELONSODA said:

Also lmao at "COMMUNIST ROBOT CORPORATION THAT HAS A LITERAL SLAVE PROLETARIAT HUMAN CLASS"

Yep, this is actually funny - I like that aspect: people are subrobots, they don't deserve to have rights.
Jul 6, 2022 3:22 PM

Oct 2016
Well that was certainly weird. Has me curious enough to keep going, though. Not a fan of Science SARU in general, but this might surprise me. Mostly leaning toward it's just weird though.
Trying out (almost) every anime that airs each season since 2018.
Jul 7, 2022 1:34 AM

Oct 2008
This show has unique concept! and i like it!
5/5.

Jul 7, 2022 4:46 PM

Apr 2020
Show is nice, but as for a pilot episode, it doesn't reveal much or hook me. The way Hack and Berry speak is kinda annoying. The world is very intriguing though. Details are still cryptic, will keep an eye on this.

Also love the wordplay in this anime: the title is "Yu 0 Deco" because zero is rei in japanese. Love is also a word for zero, maybe it's why love will return to zero. Looking forward on how this'll develop.
Jul 7, 2022 11:32 PM

Jan 2016
This reminds me of both Jet Set Radio and Digimon for some reason. I really like it, it's so quirky and the characters are cute.
Jul 8, 2022 7:20 PM

Nov 2015
This is one of those which is either going to turn out awesome, or awful. I'm undecided which I'm leaning toward so far.

The premise, of eye implants leading to a society based essentially entirely on "likes", is taken straight from the Black Mirror episode "Nosedive". Though, hey, there are certainly worse places one could draw inspiration than from Black Mirror.

It will be interesting to see how it develops. Obviously, "Zero" has something to do with discovering or being in the actual real world, instead of the "Deco" illusion. Will be interesting to see what happens then. I do wish they would tone down how godawfully annoying the dialogue can be--it's cute the first time or two, but by the tenth it's seriously irritating.
Risk something, take back what's yours
Say something they know they might attack you for.
--Linkin Park, "Hands Held High"
Jul 10, 2022 1:25 AM
Apr 2022
I like it. Nice start but my expectation isn't high.
Jul 10, 2022 1:44 PM
Mar 2015
Welcome to the metaverse
Jul 12, 2022 4:22 AM

Mar 2008
Love the colourful art design and strangeness of the world but not really feeling the characters yet since they are a little annoying. Cool OP

From what I can gather it seems Love as a currency basically is just same as social media as their economy which is pretty lulzy.
Jul 12, 2022 7:40 AM
Mar 2012
Wacky scifi VR scenery, metaverse, remote learning/work, maybe a bit too covid era.
Saving grace is AI isn't censoring posts, instead a min wage dad is checking approve/reject.
Monetizing likes (love) as social credit, AR games, interesting concepts. Color make me want to breakout my b/w CRT. There's that weird vibe that yells overhyped darkhorse, or it's bizarre enough but not keeping attention.
Aug 1, 2022 1:53 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I don't know if it's good yet but it's visually awesome and really original, I love it mainly for that right now
Aug 26, 2022 2:17 AM
Jun 2021
Super original, interesting and well produced. I'm all in
Sep 17, 2022 6:02 PM

Apr 2020
i guess it doesn't actually suck and just got distorted from the low number of watchers?

Sep 20, 2022 6:39 AM

Feb 2021
I love the art style of this anime but the story is quite strange, but let's see how it is going.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 25, 2022 4:19 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Visual wonderland over here! I'm happy to see where it goes. I like the style and designs so far. We'll see about the plot.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» This screams hidden gem of the season ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jun 6, 2022

68 by Marinate1016 »»
Sep 27, 2023 12:17 PM

» Pilot film question

Myani2016 - Dec 25, 2022

0 by Myani2016 »»
Dec 25, 2022 7:42 PM

Poll: » Yurei Deco Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2022

38 by bastek66 »»
Dec 15, 2022 5:11 AM

» Song Information Regarding to Teaser video

Ancerise - Dec 10, 2022

0 by Ancerise »»
Dec 10, 2022 9:29 PM

Poll: » Yurei Deco Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2022

26 by Swiggy »»
Sep 26, 2022 3:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.