Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 23, 2022 3:01 PM

Oct 2014
I think boiling Asuka down to just a mean tsundere is a disservice to her character. You can't really compare her to standard tsunderes because she has a lot more emotional complexity than usual. If someone looks at her only on a superficial level, then it's always the most simple reason why they dislike her. It's the same with people who despise Shinji for being a spineless coward. Is it wrong? Not necessarily, but I think one should look more in depth with characters who have more depth. Anyway, are there people that like her because she's an attractive tsundere that can step on them? Sure, but I would assume that the hardcore Asuka fans also connect to her on a deeper level.

What makes Asuka interesting is that at her core she's a broken and flawed character, just like the rest of the Eva cast. Her confident, headstrong, loud and self-centered personality isn't a complete front, but the main purpose of it is to hide her pain deep down. Very much like Shinji, she has major self-worth issues, doesn't fully understand how to connect to others and is afraid of feeling more pain. The difference is that she actually does have a fiery, determined spirit in her, and can rise to action even against all odds as shown brilliantly in End of Evangelion. Asuka's fight against the Eva Series cemented her as one of my favorite female characters.
Jun 23, 2022 7:15 PM
Apr 2022
Theo1899 said:
Appealing design and I like tsunderes.

Just say you're a pedophile dawg
Jun 23, 2022 9:12 PM

Jan 2022
I mean what’s not to love?

> Iconic character design
> absolutely insane
> Tsundere
> German

Anta baka?!
-insert NGE meme here-
Jun 24, 2022 4:00 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Because it's understandable why she is the way she is. I also resonate with her quite a bit (Not the violent part), but the parts about not wanting to be alone, about hating herself, and about hating those around her and learning to come out of her shell and to trust and care about people, especially Shinji. She has an arch and a personality that isn't just "violence" and actually learns a lot and grows as a person.
Jun 25, 2022 8:00 AM
Aug 2021
How many Asuka exist?
Alexis290Jun 25, 2022 8:06 AM
Jun 25, 2022 8:53 AM
Aug 2021
Who is the sensei who takes care of Shinji for ten years when he was abandoned by Gendo?
Jun 25, 2022 8:55 AM
Aug 2021
Who is the sensei who takes care of Shinji for ten years when he was abandoned by Gendo?
Jun 26, 2022 7:44 AM
Jun 2021
Because she has issues like every characters in the anime she is one of the character that get explored more in depth and i like that.
Jun 26, 2022 7:20 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
It's a combination of her design and personalitty
Sep 15, 2022 12:17 PM
suii

Dec 2018
ADreadnought said:
I thought that Asuka’s defining trait is how SHE IS so unlikable as a person. She’s a total ego freak and a beyotch to anyone who isn’t Kaji, especially Shinji and Rei. Then, of course, the horrifying episode 22 when everything is spilled out on the table about why she acts this way. I don’t think she’s supposed to be likable, in the same way how Shinji is frustrating to watch as a main character if you don’t relate to his struggles at all lol. Doesn’t detract from how well written the characters are (arguably), but the average socially healthy person will find it hard to root for them.
4vivi4 said:
i just think she’s relatable
thats true, but not in a good way, her attitude. and the way she yells i used to lash out like she did when i was younger, and what she goes thorugh, the same stuff. its releatable. but the attitude she has towards shinji was pretty bad, didnt releate to that.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this

Lonely_kun - 8 hours ago

42 by Thecrot »»
39 minutes ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

268 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:15 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

290 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 16, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

810 by _reii017 »»
Apr 16, 2:49 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

151 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 15, 5:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.