Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2022 7:59 AM

Nov 2011
Culinary art is like an art style itself.

Episode was alright and got to know more of Hiiro's personality. She was more of a background character but this episode gave more insight on her character. This show also seems to love giving background stories for its cast.
May 18, 2022 8:29 AM

Apr 2010
The new employee being a bit to serious to realise what she is doing wrong, tho this provided a good learning experience for her.
The part at school was nice as well the parent learned something and hopefully things will turn out better at home.

Still it was nice doing something at school.
May 18, 2022 8:46 AM

Apr 2016
Jesus woman, it's just Japanese candies, don't take it so seriously, i admire passion in the workplace, but again, chill a bit Saori.
May 18, 2022 8:58 AM

Jul 2017
The new apprentice trainee of Ryokushou: Hachiten's Hiiro Kisaichi (voiced by Saori Hayami), she presents a serious attitude for first impressions, considering that she passed confectionary school with flying colours with a dream to be like the artisan whom she admires: Ryokushou's head artisan Masa.

Though certainly Nagomu showing her the ropes isn't what you call perfect with his sloppy kitchen work, for the perfection that Hiiro so desires, there's bound to be cracks forming that she can't fit the form, and serving customers is her Achilles' Heel for Itsuka to rebut her abusive arguments. A good thing that Masa gave her a pep talk since the time that he remembered her as a wagashi artisan in training.

The hands-on wagashi class that Nagomu requested that Ryokushou didn't ask for, he's certainly a joker that mixes work and private life together to give laughs (I know I've certainly enjoyed his comedy) and ease the tension to create the connection from a generational gap between his dad, Itsuka's classmates and parents. Except for one Miyu Naruto whom doesn't seem to be enjoying this class because of her mother whom just laughs off at her clumsiness, Nagomu certainly felt the semblance of his own dream almost being crushed.

A retrospective episode that tugs at the heart and teaches people to be compassionate.
May 18, 2022 9:00 AM

Feb 2019
This was such a damn good episode. The whole situation with Miyu and her mom made me tear up a little ngl. Nagomu and his dad giving her that little bit of inspiration could’ve changed her whole life. Her mom had good intentions, but was doing more harm than good. Also great to have Hayamin in the anime, my favourite seiyuu by far.
May 18, 2022 9:03 AM

Apr 2014
The new girl, Hiiro, got determination but she is too serious and be a perfectionist. She needs to chill out more when she is working.

Namagashi is a type of wagashi that contains more water than another, so a lot of them are not that lasting long. If you will buy it as a souvenir and give it to someone the next day, namagashi might not be the best answer because you need something that is lasting long enough. While, jonamagashi is a seasonal namagashi.
何それ?意味分かんない
May 18, 2022 9:10 AM

Jan 2021
Good episode.
Nagomu, my man.
May 18, 2022 9:40 AM

Nov 2016
It was okay episodes. Pretty typical one and nothing much to find apart from new character and some parenting advice in the last part.
May 18, 2022 9:52 AM
Sep 2015
This episode lacks direction, it's made up from a bunch of heartwarming stock plot with no connecting dot to the big picture at all. But look like next episode will be back to the main story.
May 18, 2022 10:08 AM

May 2021
Great episode! The new apprentice is too serious xD.
Wow. In that wagashi class, there was a girl named Naruto! DATTEBAYO! And wow, her mother is a pathetic idiot! No matter her excuses, no need to bring your own daughter down constantly!

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
May 18, 2022 10:14 AM

Sep 2020
Really great episode!!! The mc may be clumsy sometimes but he's very good at communicating.
May 18, 2022 12:18 PM

Jul 2016
Not the best of episodes but still pretty solid nonetheless. First half with Hiiro's character introduction was pretty bland and unnecessarily melodramatic but second half with Nagomu saving the situation between that mother and her daughter was excellent.
May 18, 2022 1:28 PM
May 2020
new gyal needed to humble herself there
May 18, 2022 1:38 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So the new girl Hiro is now working at Ryokushou although she tries too hard to be a perfectionist causing her crack under pressure when dealing with customers. She just need to relax and be more friendly with the customers. Nagomu's hand's on Wagashi class turned out to be a massive success even though Ryokushou didn't ask for it. He was also handy in explaining Miyu's mother that children want to be praised more often when they are pursuing a goal instead of being laughed at as Nagomu experienced this all too well.
May 18, 2022 2:14 PM

Jul 2015
No wonder Everyone is fond of Nagomu.. Dude gets so much shit and he's still cheerful...

We all need someone like that..
Not the most profoundest Episode but it was 8.5/10.. New Girl lacks any interesting traits to be likeable but I guess we aren't meant to crushing over her..
May 18, 2022 2:32 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
This is what I wanted to see more of actually, the process itself in making these sweets, something we've only gotten quick glimpses of so far as I can remember. Makes you yourself want to try doing it yourself. It's something that would take several repetitions before getting it right, but it looks really fun. The dough must feel really good in the hand

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 18, 2022 3:26 PM

Jul 2014
Just as the show regained some semblance of focus last week, here we are with another mediocre episode about random side characters we've never seen before. What's the betting that we never even see either of these characters for any significant amount of time again after this, as has been the case with every other uninteresting side character the show has already dedicated time to? The second half was much better despite having those same structural challenges, though.

This show's utterly disjointed approach, seemingly just adapting two random chapters every episode without bothering to build any connecting thread between them, is making it very hard for me to care about anyone besides Nagomu and Itsuka. A good adaptation either chooses to put together chapters that have some sort of connecting thread (whether in terms of actual events or themes) or finds a way to connect chapters that otherwise have little to do with each other (an approach masterfully done by 3gatsu even as it adapted every single chapter in order). Neither seems to be the case here, though.
May 18, 2022 3:34 PM

Sep 2018
That new trainee was ridiculous lmao, would have fired that clown on the spot.

At the end there, I was half expecting to hear "Don't tell me how to raise my child" from that Mother, the usual defensive response when faced with any sort of similar criticism (constructive or not) in the real world.

This anime, whilst still decent, seems to move back and forth between story progress and aimless slice of life episodic stuff, very often.
May 18, 2022 3:54 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
As lovely as every each episode, the choice to include Saori here was perfect because y'know Saori often get a character pretty much like her. So, i highly disagree with people say above that the introduction of new girl artisan appearance had no meaning. While i see it as a way to give more depth into Nagomu easy-going character, how Itsuka finally being shown defending Nagomu, and more depth into Masa-san character that so far still had no background other than he's a senior artisan, got a knowledge of some hypnosis, and an old man. Which i very appreciated it, not like some of those that fail to understand this with more honesty in yourself.

So, as i already said it's lovely, i don't need to describe more into the second half. Glad that the mom wasn't depict more into such a villain, and cleared with a style of wagashi. So yeah, can't wait to see next episode which sure return to another daily dose cuteness of Itsuka. Hell yeah!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 18, 2022 5:03 PM

Nov 2011
i feel like Nagomu's development has been really good.

I liked the introduction of Kisaichi because she brought a seriousness to the show that I think it needed. Even if it was for half an episode I enjoyed it.

I liked the second half and the actual making of the sweets as well. It was nice to see what Nagomu learned as a child was used in current day as well.

I am excited for next week with Kanoko and Nagomu back story.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 18, 2022 6:43 PM

Apr 2008
Atavistic said:
Just as the show regained some semblance of focus last week, here we are with another mediocre episode about random side characters we've never seen before. What's the betting that we never even see either of these characters for any significant amount of time again after this, as has been the case with every other uninteresting side character the show has already dedicated time to? The second half was much better despite having those same structural challenges, though.

This is the same problem I'm having with the show. It absolutely will not stop introducing characters, and so we get no emotional weight. Yeah, they all develop Nagomu a little, and some of the stories are better or worse, but it ends up feeling shallow.
May 18, 2022 7:07 PM
Apr 2022
I think Kisaichi could have been presented more in the second half for her character development besides her senpai talk in the first half, but it still was a nice SoL episode.
May 18, 2022 8:44 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
I definitely like the addition of Hiiro, really liked her talk with Masa after she had that bad moment with Nagomu and the customer, very nice life lesson there. I hope we see more of her going forward.

The wagashi making class was great too, I definitely woulda messed up a bunch trying to make one of those lol, and I really liked how the situation with Miyu and her mom was resolved, Nagomu’s memory of his teacher helping him out was also sweet. I think this was one of my favorite episodes so far for both halves of this episode.
May 18, 2022 10:17 PM

Jun 2021
These people don’t deserve Nagomu.
May 18, 2022 11:01 PM

May 2021
I didn't mind what they were trying to do in this episode but the execution was messy, the conversations were atrocious and out of place while each subplot seems like in need of more time to be clearly explored. The Nagomu intervention was like an everybody clapped story lmao

May 19, 2022 12:42 AM
Feb 2016
It was atrocious, really.
May 19, 2022 1:12 AM

May 2021
Some learning experience for the new trainee. I really appreciated them showing us how to make sweets along with the instruction.

All this is fine and dandy but I hope they progress the plot and if not, at least Nagomu and Itsuka's relationship.

May 19, 2022 5:46 AM

Aug 2021
The new intern was a bit cold at the beginning but seeing Nagomu being so nice and how he works, he is not the best but he has the best treatment with the clients, even when teaching in that class, he could see beyond in that situation and calm her down, yes it goes well.
May 19, 2022 2:41 PM

Mar 2018
I'd argue that going into any sector that deals with customers, talking and being friendly with people is a main part of it, and I'd assume she would know too.

Nagomu proving his worth each episode, he is just an all-round great guy.
May 19, 2022 5:10 PM
Nov 2021
Without a doubt the weakest episode. The new girl was so cartoonishly incompetant, given her age, for the sake of an easy character arc. The fact it was resolved so quickly, while merciful, doesn't justify its existence in the first place.

Then the second half...the mom was such a passive-aggressive, boarding on abusive, bitch that one, it was uncomfortable, and two, was kinda just handwaved away for the sake of concise "happy" arc.
May 19, 2022 7:07 PM
Jul 2020
The scene when the mother and child are very touching, a mother must always love her child. When little Nagumo said his goal but was laughed at, I also felt it.

May 21, 2022 12:39 AM

Aug 2019
In this anime, the moms are terrible.

We're fortunate to have our cinnamon roll Nagomu to cheer people up
May 21, 2022 3:15 AM

Oct 2008
that new employee has ZERO customer service!! lolz
4/5

May 23, 2022 8:54 AM

Nov 2013
I think many people can relate to Hiiro. I remember my first day at work was also all about being serious and focused.

Nagomu is a bit dense but he's arguably the best MC of the season. Too bad he gets yelled at often lol.
May 23, 2022 10:07 AM
Sep 2016
Ryokushou's future talents:
- Itsuka on management + front desk (+ HR?)
- Nagomu on sales + marketing
- Saki & Hiiro on production (a.k.a confections making). Saki as a taste master (QA?), and Hiiro as artistic master (art & design?).

Especially Nagomu. Dude's really good at sales & marketing, with how good he's with networking and how out of the box he can sometimes be.

Ofc, there's also Mitsuru, but she's a part timer, and I can only see her pick a musical career in the future instead.

And, there's also Kanoko. If she married into the Irino family in the future, she'd be on desk job + HR (internal affair?), I think.
uncleqrowMay 23, 2022 10:16 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
May 23, 2022 9:59 PM

Nov 2019
After making me think positively about episode 6, the show definitely needed to introduce Yukino Yukinoshita on screen. Yeah, her character is interesting to know, but not after the first time, and it seems that Saori Hayama's got tied with this stereotype. People love such thing, you know. 3/5
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

May 26, 2022 4:53 AM
Jul 2019
Aroo-nyan said:
It was okay episodes. Pretty typical one and nothing much to find apart from new character and some parenting advice in the last part.
so parenting advice in anime is pretty typical you think?
May 26, 2022 4:56 AM
Jul 2019
Sun_Chan said:
In this anime, the moms are terrible.

We're fortunate to have our cinnamon roll Nagomu to cheer people up
No the moms are not just straight up illogically evil written in this anime there lot of realism in this anime.
May 26, 2022 8:30 AM

Nov 2016
GalacticSamurai said:
Aroo-nyan said:
so parenting advice in anime is pretty typical you think?

Yes to me. But you seem missing the point that I'm making in the post. The episode's story and structure is typical, but things that stood out is we get new characters and those parenting advice.
PesterDrivelMay 26, 2022 8:46 AM
May 26, 2022 7:41 PM

Feb 2022
Always heartwarming for a teacher to see that she had a positive impact on someone. Was a very good scene and a good lesson. It's easy to laugh sometimes without recognizing what negativity our laughing can have in certain situations.

May 26, 2022 9:13 PM

Feb 2017
Are we ever getting back to the central premise of this show, because it doesn't feel like there's anything really guiding the show narratively or tonally. It's fine to treat dramatic material lightly, but how many side characters and plots is this show gonna introduce? It especially doesn't help when the character's arc is so rote that it's wrapped up in about 10 minutes. How am I supposed to care about Nagomu and Itsuka's relationship if both the characters are treated as incidental to everything around them.
𝘼 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙡 𝙙𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮
Jun 28, 2022 4:03 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That Hiiro girl is an unexpected addition but it's pretty interesting especially for how devoted to work she is and pushed it too far, so the 2nd part with the human interactions/feelings was needed and well done, good episode.
Jul 9, 2022 9:17 AM

Feb 2021
Everyone has their own style when they are doing art so don't judge others.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 17, 2022 4:22 AM

Jul 2015
Good to see Hiiro being a bit more chill, way too serious for someone working on sweets. Should unironically take some notes from Nagomu.

Aug 28, 2022 8:59 AM

Apr 2015
Felt formulaic in a way

Serious + formulaic means bad most of the time
Sep 9, 2022 6:04 AM

Jan 2022
I think the new character who has a serious character is a bit annoying, Nagumo may make mistakes a lot but he has a good thing which is good at communication.

No matter how small a good thing that a person has should be appreciated.
“Life is never boring, but some people choose to be bored.”

— Wayne Dyer
Sep 28, 2022 5:23 AM
Jan 2022
I love this episode because it has an emotional sequence that teared me up
May 2, 2023 3:28 AM
Dec 2022
A heart warming episode with the arrival of a new artisan apprentice.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2022

84 by TuchasNuchas638 »»
Apr 20, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2022

61 by defaulticus »»
Apr 3, 9:40 AM

» Asking what happen at the manga

FeliksXzl - Jan 9

1 by bossunhimeswitch »»
Jan 9, 10:27 AM

» What are our thoughts on this one?

sorames - Jun 12, 2023

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 7, 2023 2:56 PM

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2022

53 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jun 21, 2023 11:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.