Forum Settings
Forums

Web Novel Writing Contest 2022: Win $3,000 USD & Get Published!

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 20, 2022 11:22 AM
Aug 2021
IndoorGoblinKing said:
I think I'll give this a try this year! I planned on writing a girls' love cyberpunk story, though. I know according to the rules that would mean, then, that I couldn't check off romance or comedy when uploading my story. But, does the same rule apply to the girls love/boys love categories? They're listed as separate categories, but it's all romance in the end. Good luck to everyone participating!

Hi there, that can be either cyberpunk or rom-com, but it's highly dependent on framing. Like, if it's a heartwarming story about how love can trump any dystopian concept the cyberpunk background might engender, then that would make for a nice cyberpunk. Otherwise, if it's more about some goofy shenanigans happening in a mildly futuristic environment with the focus being more on the comedy, I'd go for rom-com. It's rather hard to pin it down when there is only a concept to go of.

While the rules say that you should abstain from changing prompts, I think with sufficient enquiry and reason, Honeyfeed would be willing to make some exceptions. Ultimately, if your story is great, it'd be in their interest to allow it to fit the best mould for the competition. :)

Seyfert said:
For anyone who thinks this is at all a useful exercise... only to waste time. It was singularly the most wasting of time that happened last year. No feedback, 'judges' some nebulous concept who seem to be merely the crux of a fundamentally unfair system... make all novels publicly voteable and then maybe it won't be an utter waste of time. @Kineta last year had to reverse on some paragraph that was supposedly hastily written, but everyone knows they want to have fundamental unfairness in the system.

I do remember you being the belle of the ball last year, when your entire efforts were centred around seething about something you ultimately didn't take part in. If you feel like you wasted time, it was probably because you decided to write more comments than stories.

As for your 'feedback', where do I begin? It's a contest, a competition. You don't lose the Olympics to have a representative tell you what you could've done better. Judges were very much real. It's easy to think that there were names pulled out of a hat, sure, it's the comfortable coping mechanism. The truth that there are people out there who deemed a novel better than others is very harrowing indeed. Salt in the wound hurts. As for making all the novels 'votable', you have fun scrolling through 823 novels and casting your very educated vote. I'm sure it'll be an extremely cerebral opinion coming as a result of careful analysis and curation rather than an exercise in eye-catching marketing akin to picking a book of a shelf.

But hey, this year maybe you want to judge? It's easy to complain, but now you have the unmissable opportunity to be the change you want to see. The glove couldn't fit better, could it?

May 21, 2022 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
Just wanted to ask a question - do you have to be from the US to enter? I'm from another country so I was wondering if there were any restrictions based on that.
May 21, 2022 9:19 AM
Kuroni_Kuru

Dec 2020
SynapticBlast said:
Just wanted to ask a question - do you have to be from the US to enter? I'm from another country so I was wondering if there were any restrictions based on that.

No, you don't have to be from the US, as long as your novel is written in English. A lot of last year's entrants weren't from the US. :3
Formerly known as Kuroni_Kuru
May 21, 2022 12:21 PM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
Thread has been cleaned. Please keep the discussion civil.
May 21, 2022 12:23 PM

May 2011
Karinara said:
Thread has been cleaned. Please keep the discussion civil.

Uh, my reply to Suihou-chan...? (And my initial comment too, like, seriously...?)

Well, I'm going to at least re-insert my answer to the reply still above...

Seyfert said:
For anyone who thinks this is at all a useful exercise... only to waste time. It was singularly the most wasting of time that happened last year. No feedback, 'judges' some nebulous concept who seem to be merely the crux of a fundamentally unfair system... make all novels publicly voteable and then maybe it won't be an utter waste of time. Kineta last year had to reverse on some paragraph that was supposedly hastily written, but everyone knows they want to have fundamental unfairness in the system.

Suihou-chan said:
I do remember you being the belle of the ball last year, when your entire efforts were centred around seething about something you ultimately didn't take part in. If you feel like you wasted time, it was probably because you decided to write more comments than stories. As for your 'feedback', where do I begin? It's a contest, a competition. You don't lose the Olympics to have a representative tell you what you could've done better. Judges were very much real. It's easy to think that there were names pulled out of a hat, sure, it's the comfortable coping mechanism. The truth that there are people out there who deemed a novel better than others is very harrowing indeed. Salt in the wound hurts. As for making all the novels 'votable', you have fun scrolling through 823 novels and casting your very educated vote. I'm sure it'll be an extremely cerebral opinion coming as a result of careful analysis and curation rather than an exercise in eye-catching marketing akin to picking a book of a shelf. But hey, this year maybe you want to judge? It's easy to complain, but now you have the unmissable opportunity to be the change you want to see. The glove couldn't fit better, could it?

Not sure what you remember from last year, but it's the opposite of what you claim... certainly participated, didn't much comment (but hey, if we claim something next time it could always be 50% correct, no?) - why in the world would I comment now if I didn't participate...

And it's as much a contest as a lottery is. But, by all means, if you think that is somehow a contest... and no, it's really not comparable to the Olympics, which has an objective measure of results, not some random, nebulous element. And what mechanism, I might as well have left my writing on a local PC's notepad... what mechanism would there be there... all of these analogies make no sense. And harrowing? No, it was simply 'null', because nothing happened at all (barely got comments too, but then I'm not blaming external participants for how something is run... as I said, they even had to reverse a paragraph based on some legalities... if you think that is 'harrowing', then you're merely trolling). It was a horridly run 'contest', and it seems they want to continue the same format forever... but hey, at least it's not so much of a waste of time now, due to a lower count, so there's that if people want to waste 60% of the time, instead of 100%.

And... you're seriously now claiming that possibly thousands of people reading... are less likely to have the time to read than a much lower number of people...? Some logic there. I actually really wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have the time... a smaller number has obviously a bigger problem with that. And you claim the ones last year weren't eye-catching now...? All had lewd covers, but hey, that's not even the worst aspect out of all this (certainly not a fundamental problem with how it's organized... merely what tabloids have long exploited; and, no, I'd rather write than be a 'judge' that deprives hundreds of novels their chance... but you seem eager to participate in a flawed, unjust system... I'd rather try to change it, or at least inform others what a huge waste of time this is... either way, if it doesn't change then I certainly learned from last year and simply won't participate at all). Well... we could see how many people do write this year in comparison to last year, statistically then it would show if people were eager on how it's being run... then maybe at some point in the future there will be as many novels as there are 'judges', a symbol of every dysfunctional system the world over that insists on retaining flawed democracies and other things (in contrast, of course, this is very much more easy to simply not participate... so, by all means, let's see the numbers...)
SeyfertMay 21, 2022 2:42 PM
May 21, 2022 12:28 PM

Nov 2017
good luck, to all of you who participate in this contest!!
May 22, 2022 11:37 AM

Jan 2013
This sounds very interesting. I have been attempting (...procrastinating, let's be real here ;) ) to write a novel. I've had an idea for a cyberpunk-ish novel that incorporates elements of philosophy/psychology. If nothing else, this contest sounds like a great incentive for me to finally take action. I hadn't even considered the angle of a light novel, so hopefully, this will help me "get to the finish line."

Two questions:

1. Is there a particular demographic we should be targeting? The idea is for the story to be a hard PG-13/soft R, so it'd still be appropriate for a teenage audience.

2. Do we have to have anime-esque tropes? Not to be snooty, I'm not really into dime a dozen cliches that are used overly frequently.

I'm looking forward to everyone's submissions!
"If you’re always worried about crushing the ants beneath you, you won’t be able to walk." -
Guts (Berserk)

"Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don’t desire, but they’re inevitable, we have to face them. It’s what being human is all about." - Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)

"The world cannot be changed with pretty words alone." - Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass)

"A true man doesn’t die even if he’s killed!" - Kamina (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
May 22, 2022 10:23 PM
Dec 2018
Pearlyn_M said:
Good luck to those joining this year ❤️

Good luck ❤️
I'll be writing my own novel for myself, which I've been working on for a while, so I most probably won't participate this year. Who knows.

Good luck to everyone ❤️
May 23, 2022 11:29 AM
Jun 2017
Good luck to everyone! Probably I'm going to participate for the first time. I'm not used to write or even think about these three genres, but is going to be a fun challenge.

One question, is it necessary to write explicitly the chosen keywords at some point of the novel? Or is the concept alone okay?
May 24, 2022 2:38 PM
Aug 2021
ironcladgranite said:
This sounds very interesting. I have been attempting (...procrastinating, let's be real here ;) ) to write a novel. I've had an idea for a cyberpunk-ish novel that incorporates elements of philosophy/psychology. If nothing else, this contest sounds like a great incentive for me to finally take action. I hadn't even considered the angle of a light novel, so hopefully, this will help me "get to the finish line."

Two questions:

1. Is there a particular demographic we should be targeting? The idea is for the story to be a hard PG-13/soft R, so it'd still be appropriate for a teenage audience.

2. Do we have to have anime-esque tropes? Not to be snooty, I'm not really into dime a dozen cliches that are used overly frequently.

I'm looking forward to everyone's submissions!

You needn't target any demographic in particular, but do bear in mind that anime tend to be, in general, oriented towards the younger folk. This shouldn't dissuade you from tackling anything deeper or more abstract/philosophical. If anything, the way you frame those messages is probably the one that will have to change, which leads me to your second point. Whilst there is no need to include anime-esque tropes, I wouldn't look down on them just because they're anime-esque. There's a lot that can be said with those and the narrative breadth they offer isn't one to scoff at. If you can tell your story with those there would surely be a benefit in the marketability aspect.

Dalion_Alteri said:
Good luck to everyone! Probably I'm going to participate for the first time. I'm not used to write or even think about these three genres, but is going to be a fun challenge.

One question, is it necessary to write explicitly the chosen keywords at some point of the novel? Or is the concept alone okay?

The keywords are there to provide you with guidance about what the judges might be interested in reading. I believe they've been made broad enough to not encumber you too much. There isn't a compulsion to write with one of those keywords in mind, but I think it would benefit you more than it'd harm you to keep some of them with you whilst you write. :)
May 24, 2022 10:37 PM
Aug 2021
Hello... I have a question: Can I participate if my story is written in Spanish?
May 25, 2022 12:25 AM
May 2022
maryanto said:
Hello... I have a question: Can I participate if my story is written in Spanish?

No, stories must be written in English only.
May 25, 2022 3:13 PM

Dec 2006
This seems interesting. Will be using this as an excuse to actually get off my butt and write a novel.
If I win 3K in the process, neat. If not, I was still productive and created something.

I hope people like a cyber punk heist story that takes place in outer space. And is an isekai.
VyraLoveMay 25, 2022 3:18 PM
May 25, 2022 6:59 PM

Mar 2021
Man, really wanted to join this contest but I'm still 14. :(
May 26, 2022 6:52 AM
May 2022
I would like to join but mine (so far and it is still on-going) donce it already ranges to 500K & up words hahaha and probably does not belong to the given prompts since it have a "strange" theme so good luck everyone.
UglyDreamerMay 26, 2022 7:03 AM
May 26, 2022 7:38 PM
Aug 2020
Is genre rule absolute?

No genre other than the mentioned ones can be used in the contest??
May 27, 2022 7:16 PM

Dec 2006
AnimeJunki3 said:
Is genre rule absolute?

No genre other than the mentioned ones can be used in the contest??

For reference, my story is: Cyberpunk, Isekai, Fantasy, Crime, Space.
Just don't stack the 3 prompt genres.
Jun 1, 2022 5:38 AM
Apr 2021
This is a sort of dumb question, but when I go to submit my entry in the Honeyfeed website, the submission box to allow my novel to participate does not appear. Could anyone help me with this? Ik its dumb but plz lol
Jun 1, 2022 9:50 AM
May 2022
MasterMelvin said:
This is a sort of dumb question, but when I go to submit my entry in the Honeyfeed website, the submission box to allow my novel to participate does not appear. Could anyone help me with this? Ik its dumb but plz lol

They moved the starting date a bit forward.

Attention:
MAL x HF Writing Contest start time has been moved from Jun 1 at 12:00 AM EDT (May 31 at 9:00 PM PDT) to Jun 1 at 9:00 PM EDT (Jun 1 at 6:00 PM PDT)
Jun 1, 2022 11:18 AM

Aug 2020
Oooh nice ♡
With the reduced word count, I might actually participate this time. 25-75k is chill in 2 months.
I've had an idea for a cyberpunk story for a while, though it does contain some romance, so not sure if that is acceptable 🤭
Jun 2, 2022 5:41 AM

Jun 2020
Getting readers is the hardest challenge. Often promoted a lot and got no results.
Well, if there's a chance, so there's a chance.

Oh as a beginner writer, I don't really intend to win the contest, I just want readers who want to give me feedback. (Or maybe I didn't enter the contest at all)

Anyway, I wrote mystery without action or supernatural or fantasy touch since it's my favorite.
MochizukiTomoyaJun 2, 2022 5:50 AM

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
ー キノの旅 ー
Jun 7, 2022 7:18 PM
Jan 2020
Can it be any manga/anime genre?

For example if I wanted to make battle shonen
Jun 9, 2022 3:39 PM

Jan 2008
I've returned to MAL after a lengthy absence, and am pleasantly surprised by all the new features I've seen.

This competition is appealing. I've never written a novel, but do have some experience in screenwriting, and I love Cyberpunk... I think I'll give this a shot.

I'm not sure what to make of the judging criteria though...specifically "posting frequency" (why is uploading multiple chapters not allowed?) and "public engagement" is a bit confusing. It seems this is quite a different format than the usual writing contest! I'll read the rules carefully... (and wish everyone good luck and to have fun!)
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 17, 2022 9:32 PM

Jun 2022
I'm participating. Could be fun!
Jun 18, 2022 6:53 AM

Nov 2013
prize seems pretty generous considering its free, although the voting method looks very open to manipulation

what happened with last years winner?
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jun 18, 2022 7:23 AM

Jun 2015
Suihou-chan said:

You needn't target any demographic in particular, but do bear in mind that anime tend to be, in general, oriented towards the younger folk.

Wait what. This is total bs. Anime is for everyone. Dont go making assumptions snd out right declaring something which isint true. Western cartoons are for children, anime if for life.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Sep 5, 2022 3:45 AM

Mar 2017
This was my first time writing anything, and even though it was pretty stressful, I'm happy to have participated and actually finished my light novel!
I entered under the Cyberpunk board but must admit that I strayed a little and ended up in the Battle Shonen realm.
If you're interested in my novel, you can check it out here: https://www.honeyfeed.fm/novels/8456

I would love to see the stats on how many entries or average word count and stuff.
Since it wasn't posted here yet, here's an overview of all participating novels: https://www.honeyfeed.fm/contests/myanimelist_x_honeyfeed_2022
Unfortunately, it includes those that did not meet the requirements too...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

117 by TheBestPessimist »»
Jul 10, 12:13 PM

» Clubs Have a Brand-New Look—In-App!

Kineta - May 15, 2022

46 by YourFriendHolly »»
Jul 9, 9:47 AM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

124 by maverickwhites »»
Jul 7, 11:07 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

155 by gprime70 »»
Jul 7, 11:05 PM

» Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 6, 2021

408 by bastek66 »»
Jul 7, 6:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.