Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 6, 2022 9:53 AM

Jul 2017
The story of Swan Lake, and it has to happen on the day of the ballet festival for the Godai Ballet Studio to perform the ending part which has taken eons in training. And while Junpei still has aways to go with his ballet for perfection, he's so hooked on movies with Luou's Rothbart costume portraying Batman's The Dark Knight for mild jealousy.

Yeap, Miyako and Junpei's "flirting" moment isn't so much one of romance, but more of motivation. And Luou is ready to trample on Junpei if he has to avoid facing his torturous grandmother and be able to compete in overseas competitions.

The actual performance where Junpei's former friend comes to watch their Swan Lake act, and while Luou easily stands out, Junpei is too excited and enthusiastic to perform over his core basics, that it becomes a stage between the Prince "Siegfried" Junpei, demon "Rothbart" Luou and Princess "Odette" Miyako. It's defo surprising to see Junpei act like a "plot armour" Shonen protagonist to "come back to life" and Luou to reciprocate on his past to win the MVP title (much less an encore that the audience wants more of it). ALL OF THIS, while Swan Lake continues playing in the background in grandeur fashion.

What a game changer to shake up the world of ballet, the George Asakura and episode director Hajime Ohtani way. ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.
KANLen09May 6, 2022 12:53 PM
May 6, 2022 10:12 AM
Jun 2020
An absolutely unbelievably good episode which is to be expected the goat hajime ohtani who both storyboarded and directed this time around. Honestly some of those shots were just pure art and it was all topped off with swan lake as an insert. You really can’t get much better than this…
May 6, 2022 10:29 AM

Jun 2019
What a great fucking episode. I was already expecting some great moments in this episode just looking at the preview and after looking at the staff and Hajime Ohtani being involved once again. I got what I expected. Pure perfection of an episode. Amazing animation. Great directing and storyboarding as always from the GOAT.

Amazing stuff from all the staff and MAPPA. Beautiful. So far, I'm enjoying this show with each episode.
May 6, 2022 12:36 PM
Sep 2015
On a technical level, this is almost perfect. Almost all dance sequence are handrawn, and the use of 3D model is acceptable. Considering that this anime will never ever be blockbuster that can be profit like shounen genre, I applaud the producer for investing a big budget on this anime. Even the majority of anime adaptation from famous manga don't have this luxury.

Now for the story, don't ever, ever adlib in live performance, especially with a pre-recorded music. Whatever you do, it's not gonna sync well. I feel like Junpei will never learn a lesson on doing whatever he want because the audience are with him. So I'm glad there's a highbrow critic that will give a rotten review to this performance to keep Junpei in check.
May 6, 2022 12:58 PM
Jan 2021
The staff at mappa are gods with CGI best episode so far
May 6, 2022 1:33 PM
Mar 2021
Omg this episode was amazing, couldn't help but start clapping at the end of the performance!!
May 6, 2022 1:42 PM

Jul 2011
The visual of this episode was already high the moment I seen Miyako's gorgeous make-up, that made me remember of some classic shoujo manga eye, that I love.

Awesome performance, but poor Miyako play dead for so long in a uncomfortable place.
For the most that I wanted to see Miyako reaction, would be bad have a cut in that scene for her.
May 6, 2022 1:59 PM

Apr 2012
u know, i was having so much fun with this episode, 10/10

then they went and ruined it in the last 4 secs of the episode with showing that woman villain
May 6, 2022 1:59 PM

Nov 2016
Holy smokes was this episode intense. Jumpei had of course fun, but what positively surprised me was Luou exploding. Seeing him on stage with such a fierce aura was nice.

"Lowbrow performance"

Here comes the elitist bitch.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 6, 2022 2:20 PM

Mar 2016
Luou's makeup and dance were so beautiful. I don't understand dances, but his was still beautiful.

Junpei was a bit annoying because he just did whatever he wanted. On stage!

Junpei's friend is back, and is being a tsundere in the background. lol

Girl in the audience is looking inspired. Guess she'll be important later.

Miyako looks creepy, and she feels so unnecessary to the story. She weakens the plot a lot for me. I think Junpei's arc would have been much stronger if Miyako didn't exist, and he'd decided to do ballet after seeing the bullied Luou dance on stage, looking cooler and more confident than Junpei ever could.
May 6, 2022 2:42 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I think that just a LITTLE more than the intended amount of emotion was displayed on that stage...

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 6, 2022 2:49 PM

Apr 2012
This episode is the peak of the current anime season. Remember when everyone started watching Demon Slayer after that certain episode? This is Dance Dance Danseur's "that moment". Now is the time for those who haven't given this show a try to do so. Absolutely amazing.

That performance felt like I was watching a new version of the Eclipse from BERSERK, wth. Such amazing animazion, but also choreography and artistry. Junpei was so fun and amazing to watch, and Luou reach entirely new heights when he literally transformed into Rothbart.

If Gigguk doesn't make a video on this anime, he missed this season's must-watch. Again: Absolutely amazing. Gonna rewatch the play later.
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
May 6, 2022 3:00 PM
Apr 2020
Hajime Ohtani WOW 👏👏👏

That's an amazing ep 😭 This is the best ep of the series. I can't believe this show is so underrated. Props to the ep staff who did this amazing ep 👏.
11_BlueSkyMay 6, 2022 3:15 PM
May 6, 2022 4:04 PM

Aug 2019
I'm not familiar with ballet but all I can say is that the performance was fantastic.

However, I feel like I skipped an episode.

They were practising in the last episode and then all of a sudden they were on stage, ready to perform.
May 6, 2022 4:13 PM

Jul 2008
that was awesome, it's more and more exciting, probably my favorite anime in this Spring season, I'm routing for Luo so much !

May 6, 2022 4:13 PM
May 2011
Lovin the series, and this episode. Kinda got the feeling that Junpei would call and audible, and sure enough...

Can't help but feel that Junpei's improv kinda shafted the little swans. Wonder if their parents will want their money back.
May 6, 2022 4:14 PM
Jul 2015
Im in tears. I really enjoyed the episode. I was also waiting for it. So I did seeing all the episode’s again. It’s just so refreshing and pretty to the heart so watch 💕

Thank you for hard work on this, all of you ❤️
May 6, 2022 5:38 PM

Jun 2014
Ugh, Junpei just keeps getting more insufferable in my opinion. It's hard to enjoy the anime when he's the main character. He just annoys me so much.
May 6, 2022 6:19 PM
Oct 2020
God this shows on a whole different level to anything this season. Incredible!
May 6, 2022 7:07 PM

Aug 2021
The intensity that took place during the fight was tremendous, Junpei went completely off script but that helped to create a much greater excitement in the audience and pushed Ruo to his limits, it was great.
May 6, 2022 7:22 PM

Sep 2021
this really was a good episode, the cgi was reaaaaally good for the budget the anime have, and im not a fan of dancing, but this? this is really interesting
May 6, 2022 7:30 PM
Sep 2018
Ballet Improv is an interesting concept.
I loved what occurred, but must note that when Ballet Improv isn't on the program... Junpei is in for a world of hurt in a number of ways.
Louo keeping up with him, and finally overcoming him through sheer intimidation, was very impressive.
And then they all died.
You want a different ending?
Here's a different ending.

The judging will be interesting.
Louo did get forced out of his 'technique is all' mindset to allow the expression of emotion as well.
The technique was still there.
Junpei's technique wasn't so letter perfect, but boy howdy did he ever get into the motivation behind the character he was portraying.
The lay audience ate it up.
Many of the judges also seemed impressed.
The one 'lady' is of the school of thought that if 'the great unwashed' appreciate it, you're doing something wrong.
How many of those doing the judging are aware of what the planned choreography was?
If they don't know this went entirely off the rails, but believe it was planned...

Teach is gonna have a lot to say to Junpei, a bunch of it not pleasant.
She's also going to have a bunch to say to Louo... how he reacts will be of interest.

And then there's the Swan Maiden, dead by the shore.
Her reaction should be of interest as well.

And the 'friends' of Junpei who showed up?
One genuinely is interested in Ballet, the girl.
The other?
He says he came to make fun of Junpei, but it was plenty clear that this impacted him in ways he wasn't expecting at all.

Heh.
Maybe Ballet Battles could become a thing, along the lines of Rap Battles...

Anyway, it was very well done as animation, and those who do have a clue are going to have a lot to say to Junpei and Louo.

Being in the dark as to the storyline of the manga is a very good thing just now, as I've no clue what happens after this.
May 6, 2022 7:45 PM

Dec 2016
What a fantastic performance! I enjoyed this episode a lot! Luou acted gracefully on stage acting like a true villain, while that idiot Jumpei did the way he wanted on stage and the teacher was not amused >.> At least the audience wanted a rehearsal which meant success, and I'm waiting to see the continuation ;3

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
May 6, 2022 8:03 PM

Feb 2020
omfg watching junpei sabotage the performance so it would be more fun for him was mortifying. I wasn't sure if I liked him or not before this but wow talk about egotistical. idk if that was supposed to be a cool moment but it was infuriating. even more so considering it wasn't a solo performance and he was actively screwing over miyako, the little girls, sensei, & especially luou who had to improv with him. hopefully he will learn from his mistake but considering the tone of that part of the episode, idk if that's where it's going
May 6, 2022 10:17 PM
Dec 2020
Where Is the romance tag
May 6, 2022 10:47 PM
Dec 2020
the dance was AMAZING I couldn’t take my eyes off the screen and when Luou showed that demon side the last time Junpei got up, it got me really excited. I have to admit Junpei was really annoying when he did that but i still enjoyed it so much
May 7, 2022 5:28 AM

Apr 2018
It felt like 5 minutes.
Absolutely amazing.
May 7, 2022 5:36 AM

Mar 2018
I've been on the fence for this show, but this latest episode was just incredible.
Hope there is more of this to come.
May 7, 2022 5:57 AM
Apr 2022
The ballet performance was enjoyable to look at, even though I'm not a ballet enthusiast. However, I'm not that fond of Junpei, actively sabotaging the play. Some little girls didn't get to play because of him, and Ruou had to improvise for the monkey. He's becoming more and more insufferable.
May 7, 2022 6:22 AM
Feb 2021
The lovely old art vs technicality is on the table and I'm lovin' it! And seems like the next episode will explore this even further with that preview.
Now about the episode. of course we all know improv on a stage with other people is almoat impossible, especially when there is synced music, but hey, it's fiction and I'm here for it. Junpei being the monkey-head he is, might be imperfect and full of unrealized potential, but he is definitely an artist in nature. He absolutely can not control the emotions pouring out of him and just goes with the flow, now it would be one thing if he failed to get the feelings across, but everyone felt it! The raw emotion filled people who didn't know much about ballet as much as it annoyed those who knew! Now this is the moment one should question themselves, who is in the right? Isn't the whole purpose of ballet as an art to the exact same thing and if it is, what value is in a technically perfect play with inferior levels of art?
Also it's interesting to see the conflict Lou experienced within himself, which is just an internalized version of the aame dillema mentioned above.
May 7, 2022 6:42 AM

Oct 2016
Jesus Christ, the second hand embarrassment I felt when Junpei stood up, but that was amazing. While that was a shitty thing to do, it definitely elevated their performance, especially for Luou too. Though he shouldn't do that again, cause he pretty much screwed over the other performers, but aye, that was still absolutely beautiful. I can respect Junpei's passion though.

Massive props to Luou for getting through that and he pretty much got lost into the character too, like Junpei, it's like he pulled him in. Well, I guess that's because there was a part of them that related to the character.

Ah yes, the strict judge. Looking forward to the next episode!
May 7, 2022 8:58 AM
Jul 2020
Straight-up amazing episode! I was holding back tears throughout
May 7, 2022 11:10 AM
Jun 2021
Stunning episode; this is the absolute best so far on this season. 👏👏👏 amazing truly
May 7, 2022 12:09 PM

Oct 2020
Probably the absolute best episode of any anime airing this season. Definitely a 10/10 ep. ItI actually got goosebumps while watching it. I hope the rest of this anime can keep up this momentum. Such a shame this show is being slept on this season.

ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴʏ sᴇʀɪᴏᴜs ᴘʀᴏʙʟᴇᴍs? ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴍᴀʏʙᴇ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ʜᴇʟᴘ ʏᴏᴜ… ʜᴇʜᴇʜ.

ɪ’ᴍ ᴛʀᴜʟʏ ʜᴏɴᴏʀᴇᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀʟʟᴇᴅ ғᴏʀ ᴜs. ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴀʟʟ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴡɪsʜᴇs ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛʀᴜᴇ.
🅢🅞🅤🅡🅒🅔
May 7, 2022 12:43 PM
Feb 2022
When I watched episode 3 and cried, I thought it would be hard for this anime to surpass it. When I watched episode 4, I thought it was really the best episode.
But... when I watched episode 5, hahaha... This anime is amazing. I never thought I would be attracted by a ballet anime.
May 7, 2022 12:54 PM
Feb 2022
straight up wanted to murder junpei when he started improvising, that was extremely selfish of him idc if they pulled it off

the animation was gorgeous
May 7, 2022 6:06 PM

May 2021
Boy, that play was intense. However, as much as the crowd got excited, it was wrong of him to get up again and disrupt the script just for his fun. It did seem like there's gonna be a critic with things to say so hopefully Junpei's flaws are addressed. Only so far he could go with disrupting things like that.

May 7, 2022 8:38 PM

Jan 2011
this might end up being my favorite show this season its so good

even if i loved the act i can totally see a pro looking at this and saying how shit it was , wanna get mad at him for being so selfish but boyou was having too much fun
May 7, 2022 9:26 PM

Oct 2008
Even the previous friend of Jumpei who frequently insults him is in now denial and was actually drawn-in/enthralled to the entire performance!!
5/5.

May 7, 2022 9:56 PM
Mar 2015
Luou really did turn into a demon
May 8, 2022 6:40 AM

May 2009
Best episode so far. That performance was STUNNING.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
May 8, 2022 8:52 PM

Jul 2016
Wow, I'm speechless. The performance was simply astonishing and all thanks to Junpei's undying desire to keep dancing no matter what. Screw everyone, him going off-script ended up making this boring ass play ten times more interesting.
May 9, 2022 4:15 AM
Nov 2021
Fail_Man_X said:
Can't help but feel that Junpei's improv kinda shafted the little swans. Wonder if their parents will want their money back.

My first and only thought.
May 9, 2022 6:42 AM
Dec 2020
This show is on a whole other level, how is this not more popular?!

The choreography, the music, the voice acting, the visuals... Oh my gosh! This episode was beautiful, on a whole other level. I felt the excitement, the revenge, the pain, everything!!

The scene where Luou does the final jump and his whole past starts flashing before his eyes was incredible. Not to mention the little moments where the sparks would fly on Junpei's eyes... Truly, this show captures the essence of what it means to be truly passionate about something.

Unrelated, but WHY ARE ALL THE MOMS SO HOT OMFG
May 11, 2022 12:54 AM

Jan 2020
Bravo MAPPA!

That scene with Luou unleashing his inner evil was absolutely beautiful, I was too absorbed in the whole thing and also concerned about how much longer Jumpei was going to go at it, but it all went away with Luou's dance. I absolutely love the scenes where the light is shooting on the characters, made the whole thing 10 times more realistic.

But, my face dropped as soon as the word lowbrow got out of that judge's mouth.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
May 11, 2022 5:10 AM

Dec 2020
DAMNNN GOOD JOB ONCE AGAIN MAPPA. visuals are on point, no like seriously i dont know much about ballet but whenever chizuru pointed out junpei's mistakes i could see it too. even when that lady at the back was commentating on it.

performance was dope as heck, i kept laughing whenever junpei resurrected bc lmfaoo this dumbass😭😭😭 poor miyako had to lie down in perfect princess position all that time and luou dealing with him.. def our mvp here
May 11, 2022 3:24 PM

May 2021
Poor little swans, such a lowbrow performance indeed. I like that the outcome will probably be grounded, it makes an interesting premise for what is coming now

ponpokorin said:
omfg watching junpei sabotage the performance so it would be more fun for him was mortifying. I wasn't sure if I liked him or not before this but wow talk about egotistical. idk if that was supposed to be a cool moment but it was infuriating. even more so considering it wasn't a solo performance and he was actively screwing over miyako, the little girls, sensei, & especially luou who had to improv with him. hopefully he will learn from his mistake but considering the tone of that part of the episode, idk if that's where it's going

I believe that the judge reaction is telling, or so I hope, like I feel that they were going for the unexperienced vs experienced eye throughout the whole episode. I couldnt but pause of second hand embarrassment when it happened though lmao
Gween_GweenMay 11, 2022 3:29 PM

May 12, 2022 8:59 AM

Mar 2021
Best episode of the series so far. Mappa showing us how a ballet anime should be animated.
Story wise, big big upgrade in the writing!

May 13, 2022 4:55 AM

Jan 2021
Holy shit! I didn't expect that dance to be this intense.
Really liked this episode.
May 26, 2022 1:00 PM

Oct 2015
Jumpei was really unprofessional, stupid stupid stupid boy. I hope he won't get MVP of the festival. What a piece of shit, poor Lou
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dance Dance Danseur Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 17, 2022

88 by Hoshi14 »»
Apr 21, 7:19 AM

Poll: » Dance Dance Danseur Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 3, 2022

45 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Feb 1, 11:43 PM

Poll: » Dance Dance Danseur Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - May 27, 2022

59 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Feb 1, 11:29 PM

Poll: » Dance Dance Danseur Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 20, 2022

33 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Feb 1, 11:10 PM

Poll: » Dance Dance Danseur Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 13, 2022

30 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Feb 1, 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.