Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
May 2, 2022 4:21 AM
Dec 2020
so im caught up with the latest episode and while im quite enjoying the show but i have a feeling this show is missing something which makes ppl watch or wait for the show every week and that is a goal or some kind of achievement where the anime is progressing to.

im not saying that this thing is neccessary in every anime infact most of the comedy animes dont even have this thing but considering this to be a romcom there should be some goal or some kind of achivement they should be aiming for and they could not achieve it cuz most romcoms are about confessing at last episode which makes this a goal and makes the readers and watchers excited for more episodes but in this anime they are already dating which makes it hard to create a goal.

do u guys also think this or am i just dumb and not being able to see the goal in this anime.
May 2, 2022 4:26 AM
Aug 2021
Their goal now is to enjoy the summer, right? I mean, by going to the beach and swimming.
May 2, 2022 4:28 AM
Dec 2020
EiyuuuOu said:
Their goal now is to enjoy the summer, right? I mean, by going to the beach and swimming.

im sorry if i didnt make it clear but i didnt mean subplots but rather a complete or u could say main goal or something which could give the anime a complete anime and we could say "they achieved their goal so the ending was good" or something like that.
May 2, 2022 4:36 AM
Aug 2021
PriyanshTheAnime said:
EiyuuuOu said:

im sorry if i didnt make it clear but i didnt mean subplots but rather a complete or u could say main goal or something which could give the anime a complete anime and we could say "they achieved their goal so the ending was good" or something like that.

Then I can't think of anything because they're already dating anyway. Or maybe what if their goal was to climb the ladder of maturity?
May 2, 2022 4:38 AM
Jul 2018
it's just this, I've read 145 chapters of Manga and it's completely their routine life
May 2, 2022 4:39 AM
Dec 2020
EiyuuuOu said:
PriyanshTheAnime said:

Then I can't think of anything because they're already dating anyway. Or maybe what if their goal was to climb the ladder of maturity?

hmm that could be a goal but they are not showing any signs of that or they are not even trying to progress it that way but we'll have to see if they go that route in future eps
May 2, 2022 4:41 AM
Mar 2022
The thing is, this a slice of life. There really isn't that much of a goal here. I came here for the fluffy wholesome romance between Izumi and Shikimori and I got what I want. That's the reason why I tune in to this show every week. Shows don't really need to have a goal or an overarching plot to be enjoyable for people.
May 2, 2022 4:42 AM
Aug 2021
PriyanshTheAnime said:
EiyuuuOu said:

hmm that could be a goal but they are not showing any signs of that or they are not even trying to progress it that way but we'll have to see if they go that route in future eps

^^^ The answer has been found above

So, there really is no specific purpose and just an ordinary Slice of Life show
May 2, 2022 4:42 AM

Jul 2021
I don't think Shikimori has an actual goal other than protecting Izumi, to begin with. It's just a SOL in the eye.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

May 2, 2022 4:46 AM
Dec 2020
Jeje2020 said:
The thing is, this a slice of life. There really isn't that much of a goal here. I came here for the fluffy wholesome romance between Izumi and Shikimori and I got what I want. That's the reason why I tune in to this show every week. Shows don't really need to have a goal or an overarching plot to be enjoyable for people.

still considering this is not a pure slice of life because of it including romcom there is a goal that they aim for in relationship. pure slice of life animes dont have a goal or ending but slice of lice aimes mixed with romance generally have a goal which this show is lacking.
or im just stubborn and making a big thing about this
May 2, 2022 4:49 AM

May 2021
I feel like there won't be an end goal. Maybe smaller goals but its a SOL so its mostly going to be about their routine life.

May 2, 2022 5:17 AM

Apr 2015
Finishing high school can be considering as a goal.

It's just my random prediction that they will graduate, find their dreams, follow them, some time skip to see everyone's life and that's it.

Otherwise, my main reason for watching this is purely to see what are Izumi and Shikimori up to today with their friends?

But I also honestly don't view it as romcom.
May 2, 2022 5:54 AM

Feb 2021
PriyanshTheAnime said:
so im caught up with the latest episode and while im quite enjoying the show but i have a feeling this show is missing something which makes ppl watch or wait for the show every week and that is a goal or some kind of achievement where the anime is progressing to.

im not saying that this thing is neccessary in every anime infact most of the comedy animes dont even have this thing but considering this to be a romcom there should be some goal or some kind of achivement they should be aiming for and they could not achieve it cuz most romcoms are about confessing at last episode which makes this a goal and makes the readers and watchers excited for more episodes but in this anime they are already dating which makes it hard to create a goal.

do u guys also think this or am i just dumb and not being able to see the goal in this anime.

I feel your sentiment. It feels like something is definitely missing, because it didn’t portray itself as a typical slice of life to me at least. But it sounds like this is all it’ll amount to be which isn’t necessarily a bad thing (I enjoy slice of life a lot).

One thing I will say is it seems like Shikimori is always hiding her desires for the sake of Izumi. Like when he asked her what she wants them to do together and she always defers back to him. That might be the only interesting subplot to be revealed maybe at some point? I dunno.
May 2, 2022 7:15 AM
Apr 2021
Jeje2020 said:

Yeah, people really clowning on Izumi becuase he wants to be a good boyfriend but has bad luck. it's so sweet, I never want an episode to end. it's not my fav show now or the most exciting but it's great.
May 2, 2022 8:05 AM

Mar 2021
This is a slice of life begore anything else. Think of it that way.
May 2, 2022 9:02 AM

Jan 2013
This is basically a school/SOL + romance, it does not need a "goal", you're just supposed to enjoy the ride along with these characters.

The only thing that's missing is a good quality adaptation, the show pales in comparison to the source material, but it's improving.

PriyanshTheAnime said:
still considering this is not a pure slice of life because of it including romcom there is a goal that they aim for in relationship. pure slice of life animes dont have a goal or ending but slice of lice aimes mixed with romance generally have a goal which this show is lacking.
The goal in a rom-com is generally that they get together, but our leads are already a couple, and therefore there's no "goal" to be had.
LostSpectreMay 2, 2022 9:09 AM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 2, 2022 10:30 AM
May 2021
For now the anime seem to foreshadow their past. So, maybe we get backstory on how they get together. We did get Shikimori and Nekozaki.
May 2, 2022 4:35 PM
Jun 2021
there is no overarching plot it’s just episodic
May 2, 2022 4:48 PM
Apr 2022
So perhaps a Komi Cant Communicate anime separation into 'chapters' would work better?

And lets hope the show moves towards Horimiya style relationship wholesomeness soon, rather than the onesided dominant dynamic that it is now.
May 17, 2022 4:19 AM
Mar 2022
PriyanshTheAnime said:
Jeje2020 said:

I didn't say this was a pure SOL. And when did it become established that SOLs with Romance needs to have a goal? If the goal is simply to do couple stuff then this show is doing that.
May 17, 2022 7:40 AM
Dec 2020
PriyanshTheAnime said:

Thinking this anime a Romcom is not Right, bc it's about their daily life, hence it must be a Sol anime.
The Goal I think is enjoying every episode till the end!
May 17, 2022 9:50 AM

Jan 2020
I think the characters are not very entertaining to watch and that their attempt at comedy at making Izumi so useless falls flat. It’s a shame because I heard good things about the manga.
May 17, 2022 1:18 PM

Jan 2013
Rudraksh_bhagat said:
PriyanshTheAnime said:

Thinking this anime a Romcom is not Right, bc it's about their daily life, hence it must be a Sol anime.
I mean, the manga is unequivocally a romcom, and that's not any less true just because the comedy mostly falls flat in the anime.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 17, 2022 1:27 PM

Jan 2013
Animillion said:
I think the characters are not very entertaining to watch and that their attempt at comedy at making Izumi so useless falls flat. It’s a shame because I heard good things about the manga.
Yeah, the characters feel bland in the anime, and the comedy barely translates at all. The manga has a very "comic-strip" type of feel to it, with a lot more character/personality in the panels than the anime is conveying, the anime is trying to copy that into a sort of relaxed feel good SoL, but there isn't enough depth here to pull that off, and it feels slow and overly simple, even when the pacing is improved by episode 4. Overall, it's just a really clumsy attempt at capturing the simple wholesomeness of the manga.

Oh, and the art in the manga is fantastic, the anime looks good, but there's no real comparison.
LostSpectreMay 17, 2022 2:16 PM
May 17, 2022 1:31 PM

Aug 2018
No, I agree, I cannot see why it is so hyped but if others like it, then fine.

May 17, 2022 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
plutochan said:

I think you mean was hyped, because it certainly isn't hyped any more, and it seems destined to fall under a 7.0 at this rate.
May 19, 2022 3:50 AM
Dec 2020
LostSpectre said:
Rudraksh_bhagat said:

I mean, the manga is unequivocally a romcom, and that's not any less true just because the comedy mostly falls flat in the anime.

I haven't read the manga, but the anime doesn't have the romcom element...
What you're saying must be true!
May 19, 2022 3:51 AM
Dec 2020
LostSpectre said:
plutochan said:

I think you mean was hyped, because it certainly isn't hyped any more, and it seems destined to fall under a 7.0 at this rate.

Yeah it's like any other average Sol!
May 19, 2022 4:46 AM

Apr 2022
Rudraksh_bhagat said:
LostSpectre said:

Below average Sol* (anime that falls under 7.0 are usually considered/is below average)
Kene_MMay 19, 2022 4:55 AM
May 19, 2022 10:38 AM

Jul 2017
If they're already dating, then the ultimate goal is
あなたは誰?
May 22, 2022 4:30 AM
Dec 2020
Kene_M said:
Rudraksh_bhagat said:

Below average Sol* (anime that falls under 7.0 are usually considered/is below average)

Maybe...
I am not a very big fan of Sol.
But it's true I came here with a lot of expectations, and disappointed me...
😔
May 22, 2022 5:13 AM
Jun 2020

This is better right?
May 22, 2022 9:58 AM

Jan 2021
Koimeguna said:

This is better right?

no, it's not better...
Roxy

May 24, 2022 2:34 PM
Jan 2022
Well Ultimate Goal has to be Nirvana(Chika chika) or Marriage...Sidenote: Watch Kaguya sama if u want real Romcom with much better animation😁 or just search Chika dance
May 25, 2022 4:43 AM

Dec 2018
Koimeguna said:

This is better right?

far better (character limit)
May 25, 2022 5:19 AM

Jun 2020
PriyanshTheAnime said:

Yeah, I also feel the same way. Also, the opening kinda implied that something will happen .So I'm waiting for it to happen.
May 25, 2022 6:07 AM

Oct 2014
For me, whats missing is not enough fan service. I want some long angle shot, or bath scene, or no pantsu episode.
May 25, 2022 6:01 PM

Jun 2015
I'm lost in thoughts right now... I can confidently say that I'm a connoisseur of Slice of Life (SOL). And I very well aware that the main trait of a SOL series is the mundanity of daily lives. That it's basically goalless. There is no such thing as "becoming a pirate king" or "becoming a hokage" and whatnot. Therefore, if there's people asking about the goal of a SOL series, you can simply answer it with "there is no goal."

Here is the thing. Why do Shikimori which is claimed by many to be a SOL series somehow lacks the weight necessary to carry it off? I do have a theory. But since it's too long, I will surmise it into one line. That is:

"Romcom is not slice of life."

It's likely to be a personal bias, sure. In my eyes, what defines a slice of life is basically Iyashikei series, namely:

- Mushishi. (https://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi)
- Natsume Yuujinchou. (https://myanimelist.net/anime/4081/Natsume_Yuujinchou)
- Barakamon. (https://myanimelist.net/anime/22789/Barakamon)

Or if you want to go a bit further than Iyashikei, you can get:

- Sangatsu no Lion. (https://myanimelist.net/manga/1224/3-gatsu_no_Lion)
- Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho. (https://myanimelist.net/anime/35839/Sora_yori_mo_Tooi_Basho)

I say romcom with SOL tag is fake SOL most of the time. In Shikimori's case, if it can't thrive in the mundanity of main cast daily lives, at least they can thrive in their romance. But is there any kind of romance to seek of here either? They are already a couple. According to their character, Shikimori is definitely committed to Izumi, and likewise Izumi himself.

What goal? There is no goal. What romance? There is no meaningful romance. Hence there is no that "I can't wait for the next chapter/episode" sentiment on the series. Meaning there isn't a continuity of expectation of what may come next, making it too mundane.

Thank you for reading my rants. Have a good day. 😁
YosepRAMay 25, 2022 6:53 PM
May 25, 2022 9:20 PM
Mar 2019
welcome to slice of life
May 26, 2022 3:41 AM
May 2022
YosepRA said:
I'm lost in thoughts right now... I can confidently say that I'm a connoisseur of Slice of Life (SOL). And I very well aware that the main trait of a SOL series is the mundanity of daily lives. That it's basically goalless. There is no such thing as "becoming a pirate king" or "becoming a hokage" and whatnot. Therefore, if there's people asking about the goal of a SOL series, you can simply answer it with "there is no goal."

Here is the thing. Why do Shikimori which is claimed by many to be a SOL series somehow lacks the weight necessary to carry it off? I do have a theory. But since it's too long, I will surmise it into one line. That is:

It's likely to be a personal bias, sure. In my eyes, what defines a slice of life is basically Iyashikei series, namely:

- Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho. (https://myanimelist.net/anime/35839/Sora_yori_mo_Tooi_Basho)

I say romcom with SOL tag is fake SOL most of the time. In Shikimori's case, if it can't thrive in the mundanity of main cast daily lives, at least they can thrive in their romance. But is there any kind of romance to seek of here either? They are already a couple. According to their character, Shikimori is definitely committed to Izumi, and likewise Izumi himself.

What goal? There is no goal. What romance? There is no meaningful romance. Hence there is no that "I can't wait for the next chapter/episode" sentiment on the series. Meaning there isn't a continuity of expectation of what may come next, making it too mundane.

You put all my thoughts about this anime into words.
May 26, 2022 4:23 AM

Sep 2018
YosepRA said:

I like the thrust of your argument, but I simply cannot see either March comes in Like a Lion or A Place further than the Universe as SoL

We need a special classification for shows like Shitimori

Something that captures the essence of the "Useless potato boy get great GF so you can get too" message these types of show espouse.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
May 26, 2022 2:02 PM

Dec 2018
borderliner said:
YosepRA said:

I like the thrust of your argument, but I simply cannot see either March comes in Like a Lion or A Place further than the Universe as SoL

We need a special classification for shows like Shitimori

Something that captures the essence of the "Useless potato boy get great GF so you can get too" message these types of show espouse.

"Useless potato boy get great GF so you can get too"
🤣🤣🤣
May 26, 2022 9:33 PM
Oct 2019
Frankly, it is missing a purpose. I quite enjoy it but I thought id love it. I dont. And i think the fact that each episode is sort of the same thing without any movement towards any goal is why. Isumi is a clutch but loving. Shikimori saves him and is cool. They like each other. Everyone knows it. Cute face. Thats about it. Nothing to keep u coming back.
May 27, 2022 1:56 PM

Jan 2021
ceasertiberius said:
Frankly, it is missing a purpose. I quite enjoy it but I thought id love it. I dont. And i think the fact that each episode is sort of the same thing without any movement towards any goal is why. Isumi is a clutch but loving. Shikimori saves him and is cool. They like each other. Everyone knows it. Cute face. Thats about it. Nothing to keep u coming back.

Something different will happen on next episoded i guess...
May 27, 2022 4:30 PM
Apr 2020
YosepRA said:

Just a heads up, I don't consider myself as a "connoisseur" of the genre since I don't want to sound pretentious when stating my opinion on things I (and many people) enjoy. I do consider myself educated enough to talk about it though, so I think my point is still valid enough. Back to the main topic...

While I agree that the SoL genre deals with the mundanity of life and that it is goalless, I completely don't agree on your main point that "Romcom is not slice of life."

SoL is literally just "a realistic depiction of everyday life," whether it being a young man dealing with paranormal stuff that's haunting him everyday, an pharmacist dealing with wacky costumers in an unfamiliar setup, the everyday shenanigans of a group of students in high school, or a couple dealing with each other's quirks as they go through their relationship.

No matter the setting of the story is, a story of the main character/s in their everyday life has been the definition of the genre. Romance, comedy, or a combination of both can be a part of everyday life, in fact, they're ALWAYS a part of it.

Caging the definition of the genre to some anime series and deeming others that don't follow these animes' formula as fake is a stupid take (especially coming from a "connoisseur").

P.S.: I won't argue on the quality of SoL animes in general, especially Shikimori-san and the ones you mentioned, since that's always up to the viewers' subjective taste. I personally enjoyed the manga and I kinda agree on the pacing issues of the adaptation but still enjoyed it nonetheless.
May 27, 2022 5:17 PM

Jun 2015

Ouch, that hurts... 🤣

Anyway, my definition of a (great) SOL series is:

"A true SOL is a series that will give you the warmth of life, something you can relate to, and something you can learn from."

And yes, it is I, the connoisseur of Slice of Life series, YosepRA. Nice to meet you, kind sir/ma'am. 😁 It seems like we simply have a different way to define SOL. And I also need to say that "something you can learn from" is truly relative to one's experience in life. For instance, I can't relate to school life, thus I say Romcom is not slice of life. Good day.
Jun 3, 2022 8:58 PM
Jun 2021
Why is the rating so low?
Jun 5, 2022 6:04 AM

Sep 2016
It's missing soul and chemical reaction between characters.
"b-but it's SoL! it's supposed to be like this!"
SoL doesn't mean uninteresting boring snorefost, mr.battleshonenfans. watch more anime.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

107 by ad0rablegoat »»
Apr 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2022

351 by HollowP03 »»
Apr 16, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2022

223 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 31, 3:49 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

116 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 1:03 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2022

98 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 11:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.