Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 26, 2010 5:06 AM

Oct 2008
YES FINALLY UP TO DATE. :3

I hope Blackbeard dies.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 27, 2010 7:51 AM

Feb 2009
I liked it, Blackbeard's blackhole should've put up mora of a fight against that poison I think.
Jun 17, 2010 7:56 AM

Jun 2008
Anitnelav said:

I hope Blackbeard dies.

He REALLY should. I hate him.

Anyway, Luffy should hurry up a bit.
Apr 16, 2011 3:27 AM

Feb 2010
I like Teach, not your every-day villain. He's got goals beyond "being evil and doing evil deeds while gaining power to become even more evil and do more evil deeds"
May 13, 2011 5:58 PM

Jul 2007
Damn, luffy is so enraged about blackbeard now that he knows the truth bout there fight against ace. I can't believe luffy and black beard are just standing there, on a stare down face to face with each other. There have never been so many strong forces together at once since Sabypody archipeligo.

Also i just love blackbeards speeches about justice and the world. He comes off as being one of my favorite villains. I am very interesting in what his intentions are that will shake the world. I bet he will become a very important character in the following arc, im sure.

Now that sadi and hanyball are out of the picture. Now there is only one force left to kill in impel down and that is Maggelen. Although im still interesting in what shirya's real intentions are. So many things are going on at once in this arc, its pretty awesome.

The episode ends with the entire BB crew facing off against magellen and he easily dispatches them with his poesen. Damn that guy is fucking strong.

Finally looks like we get to see him make his move towards the straw hats gang.

May 13, 2011 6:03 PM

Jul 2007
mulderman said:
smokes said:
^BB cant absorb pain o_O

he takes damage like normal people.. so luffy's Jet Pistol is freaky powerful too..( remember Blueno?)

thats the awesomeness of blackbeard.. he thinks he's powerful yet he can get easily killed..

even ZORO can kill him quickly..

I doubt he can be defeated that easily. He's pretty resilient. But I do agree. Part of what makes BB such a great villain is the fact that he's human. He's powerful, a lot smarter than he looks and has a powerful crew. But beneath all that he's a human being, making human mistakes.

It makes him so much better than your average "God villain" who can only be defeated by a deus ex machina.

yeah i totally agree.

Magellen owned him. At first when i first met him. I thought he was going to be a big shot like Kuma, Aoikiji or Kizaru. Guess i was wrong. He doesn't have the power like those guys have, but the fact that his devil fruit ability is able to absorb other devil fruits. That is one "unique" devil fruit ability. With that you can only imagine what kind of stuff he can pull off against some of the strongest foes.

Given his name "blackbeard' which is actually a famous pirate in history. I am sure oda is using him as a main character in the story. I am sure he won't just be beaten like any normal villain has. Just by the way he talks, his speeches, his goals and all that shit. He just makes me realize that he is a VERY important character in the story of one piece. I really lookforward to seeing his true motives.

Jun 13, 2011 10:23 PM
Jul 2018
oh wow that was blackbeard back then. never put 2 and 2 together D:
Jun 24, 2011 12:38 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, probably going to go down as one of my favorite One Piece episode and I'm honestly not sure why. For one Blackbeard intrigues the hell out of me, I wonder what exactly his goal is for him to come to Impel Down like this. Also, you have Luffy completely owning the Minotaur and, of course the scene of Magellen completely owning Blackbeard's crew. Badass.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 3, 2011 9:38 PM

May 2010
Magellan just wiped the floor and beat the whole Blackbeard crew! wahaha Great episode.. purely chaos and lots of fighting!
Aug 7, 2011 9:16 AM

Aug 2010
I can't help but think that Blackbeard intentionally let himself and his crew get hit by the poison
Feb 4, 2012 8:59 PM

Jan 2012
yeah blackbeard is intriguing, a big question mark on the map. i laughed when him and his crew ate poison, it was unexpected due to how he acts like a bigshot.

i remember liking him when i saw him in jaya, cause bellamy was being a bitch and blackbeard was just some guy who spoke for the pirate dream. it adds an interesting gray to his character, because in some ways he's just a luffy who wants to be pirate king. wonder what his big plan is, though.

guy's still an ass for doing this to ace.
May 2, 2012 1:23 AM

Nov 2011
I don't know what you guys are talking about! Blackbeard is a beast!
Nov 23, 2012 2:08 PM

Mar 2010
Um That was a quick defeat..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 18, 2013 1:38 AM
Jan 2013
Magellan, if Teach actually dies, I will paint a picture in honor of you....that scene made me so elated. ><
Sep 22, 2013 11:58 AM

Apr 2012
i really cant hate magellan even though he's out for luffy.
the way he handled with blackbeard was so badass and you can totally see that he cares for his men!
it's hard to hate most of the characters on this show :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2014 4:20 PM

Dec 2012
Megallan was badass in this episode. He gained a lot of points for poisoning the Blackbeard crew :P I also liked how they show his relationship with Hannyabal. They are nakama after all :)
Luffy is very very very pissed off... I can't blame him :(
Oct 8, 2014 12:58 AM

Jan 2014
Magellan is pissed.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 21, 2014 11:23 AM

Oct 2013
on to the next 1

Jun 15, 2015 1:51 AM

Jun 2015
BB can't be defeated that easily, he will absorb the poison coz after all its just a devil fruit power
Apr 4, 2016 5:08 PM

May 2013
Blackbeard let his guard down and lost way too easily. Idiot. I needed him to stall for time and hold back Magellan. Blegh.
Jul 27, 2016 8:25 AM

Mar 2015
Wow Magellan's pissed now!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 2, 2016 3:07 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
js930 said:
I'm starting to care less and less about this arc. Needs more death winks to get my attention.

same over here .__.

Mar 18, 2017 5:38 PM

May 2014
Kinda glad Jinbei spoke some sense into Luffy, bc it's blatantly obvious Luffy just isn't ready to fight Blackbeard yet- he'd get wrecked!!

Speaking of, I wonder what Blackbeard actually wants...maybe he's looking for someone in the lower levels of Impel Down or something??
Love how Magellan just took him out so fast...that guy really is strong af.

So Iva vs. Magellan next episode- not sure if Iva can beat him, but we'll hafta wait and see I guess.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2019 3:35 PM

Jun 2016
Okay so, I do believe we had like a 4 episode spread that reminded me of the assault on Enies Lobby. Episodes of what felt like nothing happening but inches of progress made forward. I feel like the escape from Level 6 up has been similar until these last two episodes and it made me realize that, sure it's for money reasons, but I also think by extending these assaults and escapes with so many parties at play it gives the illusion that a lot is happening even when its not when you look at it all together. It makes these Enies Lobby or Impel Down assaults feel more impactful than they otherwise would be. I don't think it's a good practice to do that, but I don't it is an absolute failure, especially since when we get to the substantial, chilling, and meaningful moments it does them so well like these last episodes have been. That said, I would have preferred fast and frantic pacing leading to these chilling slower moments.

I've touched on it before but I adore that Oda made Blackbeard suck up so much damage. He's not like an Eneru, or a Crocodile, or a Lucci who can take so many hits without feeling much at all. I know in the end Lucci took on a ton of pain, but until then he felt pretty impenetrable. So, to have what seems like the big bad of the series wince and show so much pain after a single hit, and then suck in Luffy and force him into a world of pain is such a breath of fresh air. Further, his power is awesome and he's fascinating. I wouldn't be surprised if Blackbeard ends up as one of the greatest One Piece villains.

I was expecting Luffy's encounter with him to become a gang war. It definitely would have without the more leveled headed people to act as his crew normally would and calm him down. But, it's clear he's not here for Luffy or the others so Jimbei did the best thing he could possibly do. He held Luffy back and forced him to face the dilemma that he was approaching, save Ace or get revenge, what's more important. Instead of what I predicted would be an escalation stopped by Magellan we got de-escalation by Jimbei. All of that made Luffy's slow walk past the man who's responsible for all of this feel pretty gross, especially since he told him he's capable of anything, something I presume Blackbeard guides himself with too.

Plus, like Blackbeard said, everything has been a part of a plan. To get this power by any means necessary, aka joining Whitebeard and killing a crewmate, to become a Warlord of the sea by any means necessary, handing in Luffy or his brother, and now to use the panic and chaos Luffy's created to create an event that will shake the entire world.. What could he be doing here? And, this is on top of the war that's going on. In this one arc we're facing a war of the two strongest forces in the world, the impregnable prison getting turned upside down, and the insanely scary Blackbeard creating an event by throwing away his Warlord title to shake the entire world...

I had expected Magellan to intercept Blackbeard and be defeated by him actually but it seems like Luffy isn't getting a free ride out yet. I'm assuming Blackbeard can just suck up the poison that got all over them with his power. Now we have Magellan right on Luffy's tail, so they'll have to deal with him somehow. Do we have any powers that would counter him? Can you poison steel, like with Mr. 1? And Crocodile is sand so couldn't he just turn himself in sand and have all the poison fall through him and stuff? I guess we'll find out.

I really like every force in this situation. Magellan showed some respect for his fallen men and he showed that he was quite proud of Hannyabal and that he's prepared to die for his job. With so many corrupt and selfish notions of justice being used in this series, I think Magellan and Hannyabal are two of the most pure versions of it, along with Coby and those sorts, even if Magellan's means are cruel and imperfect. They are genuine in their efforts when push comes to shove. I've said before but Luffy's group is entirely consisting of people working together for different reasons, all rich, colorful and interesting. Then we have Mr. 3 and Buggy who are just trying to escape on their own and by doing so helping create diversions and riots. And finally Blackbeard's crew who is here, not for any of these characters it seems, but for his own goals and if people don't want to fight him he'll happily have discourse with them and continue on. It's like, everyone can be rooted for and everyone here is doing some wrong, even Luffy freeing all of these people to go create havoc in the world. Something I like about Blackbeard is that he does selfish things and follows his dreams without care of how he has to do them, he mocks the idea of justice yet his means for pursuing his ends reminds me of the world government's, the only difference is they use justice as a excuse rather owning up to it like Teach does!

Lastly, I found it quite awesome how Jimbei calmed Luffy down. I hadn't thought about it, but now that the story has gotten caught up in trying to prove Luffy has a long way to go, that he's a rookie and there's many like him out there and many many far above him, perhaps this is a path it will take. A path of wisening Luffy up, calming him down so he doesn't try and fight every person he hates when there's better means around it like Jimbei reminded him here. I'm sure he'll always do what he believes and keep his always moving forward mentality and always do the impossible, and I'm sure he'll always be emotional, but perhaps he'll learn to channel that into more effective means as the story goes on rather than the most straightforward and direct means. I'm not sure if it will really do that, but I think it may very much happen due to how much Luffy has been losing due to his ordinary practices! So, that's interesting to me. It was at least nice to see him funnel his rage into Minotaurus when he couldn't put that into Teach..

I seriously think these last two episodes have been some of the most exciting in One Piece. There's so many powerful people interacting at this intersection to events that may change the world.
Aug 27, 2020 1:25 PM

May 2016
Luffy and Blackbeard only traded a few blows each but that was enough for both of them to realize that their fight would take a while and will result in massive damage for both parties if they went on.

I'm very surprised that Magellan didn't even spare a second for Blackbeard to put up a decent fight or a fight at all for the matter. The situation's gotten that desperate, to be fair, with all of these unexpected factors turning Impel Down into a mess and all that.

Sep 24, 2020 7:28 AM

Dec 2007
i would love to see more blackbear vs luffy but oh well.

though blackbeard became villain, i really wouldn't care see his plan, it's actually makes him more interesting.

i'm glad they didn't did the narration explanation about blackbeard power but used flashbacks.

the battle of ivancov against magellan going to be epic!!
May 28, 2021 11:51 AM

Jun 2019
Sadie chan got an Uno reverse card. LOL. Shit's going down. The Warden is pissed.
Aug 16, 2022 5:57 PM

Feb 2014
Oh shit, that guy in an early arc was Blackbeard, I totally missed it.

DeadIEnd said:
Sadi-chan being tied with ropes was the best part about this episode.

Dec 16, 2022 2:03 PM
Jun 2020
OMG This episode guys!! OMG I love impel down I am so excited for the execution of ace OMG I hate that GUY!!! Man I hope this series will to continue without him!! I will definitely watch this show. Okkay guys Im out! Peace!
Feb 11, 2023 5:39 PM
Feb 2022
Barba Negra es alguien horrible en todos los aspectos, pero lo que me gusta de el es que, el cree que ningún sueño es inalcanzable, y todos pueden conseguir lo que quieren (su único punto a favor). Magellan pretende darle en el futuro su puesto a Hanybal. Es bueno ver que lo aprecia tanto en secreto.
Mar 6, 2023 12:09 PM
Aug 2020
always luvlay seein my fav himbo blackbeard
Jun 14, 2023 12:46 AM
Oct 2019
Man, this title is bait. The fight not even last 5 mins šŸ¤£
Oh yeah i forgot Kurohige had that kind of power.

Kurohige playing dumb into Magellan poison?
What?
Also clearly Shiryuu didn't fight Kurohige at all on the 1st Floor, so what is his play here?
Oct 22, 2023 10:59 AM
Mar 2023
Dang I got so hyped for a battle between Blackbeard and Magellan and Blackbeard just stood there and got pooped on. That was a huge let down lol. I still liked the episode though.
Nov 16, 2023 2:11 AM

Mar 2017
Blackbeard is growing on me.. He seems like the most quintessential pirate of all the characters so far. He’s ugly, overweight and incredibly strong. Always laughing, probably drunk, with no doubt bad intentions. He’s a great villain.
bingamu85Nov 16, 2023 4:18 AM
Dec 13, 2023 10:54 AM

May 2019
Reply to smokes
The_Will_of_D said:
Was Crocodile's voice actor different or was I imagining things?? 0_o

heh it kinda sounded different also to me ;P
tho its the same)

Monad said:
Is Blackbeard playing the dead man or is he really that stupid that he got himself completely poisoned.

BurningEyedShana said:
It was nice to see Luffy use haki again.

Where? I saw no haki being used. Only gear secando.

thats the awesomeness of Blackbeard.. he's very powerful ( at least he think he is) and the next second he gets pwned in the face)
it makes things more realistic and more awesome... unlike Aizen-god..

Luffy used his haki... Blackbeard also felt some pain.. and that wasnt just from his 'jet-pistol'..
Luffy has been using Haki ever since at least him defeating Crocodile (people who think it was solely his wet fists fell for Oda's misdirection). He used Haki to beat Eneru as well. He's always had the inherent ability to use it, he just can't control it, and it only comes out when he's desperate or furious (the Amazonian island arc demonstrates this explicitly).
Jan 28, 9:59 AM

Oct 2019
Doubt the poison will do much to Blackbeard
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

53 by AlexoYuki »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 242 Discussion

Kaito__Kid - Dec 2, 2009

39 by IvanTheWalker »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 397 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HydraA - Apr 19, 2009

91 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:36 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 396 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Somebody - Apr 12, 2009

195 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:15 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 395 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Apr 5, 2009

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
Yesterday, 11:56 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.