Forum Settings
Forums

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - Individual Eleven Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2010 5:16 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I didn't like it. It was hard to watch. I never thought I would feel that way about anything of this property.

The Stand Alone Complex movie did such an AMAZING job of re-packaging the first series into a movie. This one could not live up to that feat. The second series was very deep in story, the repackaged movie felt fractured and unable to (sorry) "Stand Alone".
Jan 22, 2012 11:10 PM

Jul 2009
^^

lol no just no.

actually after watching this, it opened up alot of things i didn't see from the first time watching it. and i just finish watching the 2nd season 2 days ago.

for example some people were confused on how the pilot died of unknown cause. it was actually the result of micromachines. the reason why the CIA switch the meds is to fool Section 9 and the investigators thinking the pilot was taking meds for heart disease and such.

though it i did notice some few new scenes like when batou asked major what had happened when she dove into kuze's ghost(in the scene where batou gave major a sandwich after the failing to locate kuze and the death of yasu; a rookie member of section 9)

she said that she used to knew a person like him(reference to her backstory) and even the diving act where the Major was struck(they put a new scene portraying the boy and the girl's flashback) as well as Motoko mentioning to batou that Kuze could indeed be the boy she used to be close to(which i don't think she even said kuze outright in the open)

another interesting scene i just notice right now is that in the final episode of the series. where major blasts gouda's head off. she actually said the same words during the first episode. with the guy proclaiming he is part of the individual eleven.

that's actually pretty cool and amazing feat that i didn't notice the first time around.

though they were a few scenes that were missing and are essential to the series. like how Major failed to locate kuze thus ending up yasu dying with batou being angry at her. they didn't show the individual eleven's motives before cutting their heads off(the scene in the van talking about how they came to be, one guy killed a cyber rapper, while the other blackmail a company etc) i also don't know why kuze asked for a copy of the individual eleven essay(which they didn't showed the scene)

they also didn't put any backstory about gouda besides the fact that he used to be a researcher and producer of the radioactive scrubber technology that made japan a power house of the world.

though as expected from the first movie summary. they cut out pretty much every filler episodes(angels feathers, motoko and kuze backstory, tachikoma's discussion etc)

overall despite the missing scenes as i mention, i freaking love it!!!!!!! this movie is for those who want to remember the main key plot points without having to watch the whole thing(Summary if you will) plus it showed me a few things that i have missed during my first session.

overall just as good as the first movie and definitely worth the watch for those who can't get enough for 2nd GiG :P
SomaHeirJan 22, 2012 11:21 PM
Feb 18, 2013 11:20 AM

May 2012
Like the first summery special they did quite a nice job on this one as well to put 26 episodes into 2:41 hours although a bit more boring but that could also be because the first season was slightly better than the second imo...

Still a quite nice movie special summary of the second season! 7/10
Mar 4, 2017 6:31 PM

Apr 2012
As a film on its own merits...

I lose track of the plot logic when Kusanagi randomly visits the guy who had his brain fried (the one with all the lounging ladies). An operation follows where Batou shrugs off capturing freaking PLUTONIUM to engage in some macho bullshit with Kuze instead.

And then... so ok, they've recovered some plutonium but on the way back all their communication's jammed, and there're roadblocks everywhere so they can't get out. So~! Plan B is they miraculously communicate with Ishikawa despite the jamming and send out a Tachikoma with half the plutonium - through said roadblock - instead. Uhh...?

Also yeah it's just pretty boring and hard to follow. Best part was the Tachikoma self-sacrifice.
Mar 31, 2017 3:25 PM

Feb 2013
Decent recap, boring like the main series though.
Oct 1, 2017 10:59 AM
Aug 2014
This didn't work in such condensed form nearly as well at the Laughing Man did.

More topics from this board

» Should I watch this recap?

StevePen387 - Sep 4, 2015

2 by GennosukeKouga »»
Oct 2, 2018 5:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.