Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 16, 2022 2:54 AM

Jul 2017
Aoi's recommendation by Tokyo City Esperion FC Youth's coach-cum-manager Fukuda Tatsuya, and the first thing he does is accidentally bump onto Fukuda's middle-schooler sister-in-law Hana Ichijo while looking for the place of tryouts, whom has a somewhat unimpressive first impression of Aoi.

Fukuda's pep talk speech sounds convincing and jokes all over, but this acceptance rate is quite slim for this selection process which is the stereotypical 11 people per team after rigorous levels of testing. And within the large group of 86 youths, only the select few will get chosen...or none at all. All it needs is the essential spark to make it happen.

A 7 vs. 7 game that unsurprisingly sees the candidates being outclassed against those already in the team, and there're already a few people to spot in their appeal to stand out because it defines their careers from young, and it's an individual battle. And in the midst, only the right mindset can people like Aoi actually play soccer at their best, even it's being selfish, and that earned their goal.

Eisaku Ohtomo earned a spotlight by Tsukishima for his behaviour, while Aoi has both Hana and the team talking about his performance, though it was more perchance by pure luck and wholly by intelligence and skill. By Hana's recollection, Aoi is Fukuda's new reincarnation on the field, and keep building this way.

I understand that Ao Ashi has a lot of source material to go on, but to start rushing the currently almost 300 chapters out right out of the gate has pros and cons. This episode definitely went "gotta go fast", and I do hope the pacing will get better.
KANLen09Apr 16, 2022 6:58 AM
Apr 16, 2022 4:08 AM
Jun 2011
KANLen09 said:

I understand that Ao Ashi has a lot of source material to go on, but to rush the currently almost 300 chapters out right now has pros and cons. This episode definitely went "gotta go fast".

This is Chapter 2 of the manga.
Apr 16, 2022 4:16 AM

Jul 2017
GuardianEnzo said:
KANLen09 said:
I understand that Ao Ashi has a lot of source material to go on, but to rush the currently almost 300 chapters out right now has pros and cons. This episode definitely went "gotta go fast".
Erm, technically yes.

This episode started in the middle of Chapter 2, then blazed all the way through to Chapter 6. Wait till the episode comes out then you see what I mean.
KANLen09Apr 16, 2022 6:39 AM
Apr 16, 2022 6:01 AM
Feb 2021
KANLen09 said:
GuardianEnzo said:
Erm, actually no.

This episode started in the middle of Chapter 2, then blazed all the way through to Chapter 6. Wait till the episode comes out then you see what I mean.

Planning on reading the manga after but the episode didn't feel rushed at all. Especially if this anime ends up having 12 episodes I'd prefer it not to spend too much time on the tryouts when it's obvious the main character will pass
Apr 16, 2022 6:08 AM

Jul 2021
The OP is pretty much giving such a Haikyuu vibe. Hana and Aoi's interaction is wholesome in the end. There are 86 (interesting number btw) participants for the tryout in order to join in the Tokyo City Esperion and the Coach's trying to be a perfectionist with his words was hilarious lmao and Aoi having the audacity to call his coach old was really something, Coach got maddie oh no!

So Aoi started training and met a friend, Ohtomo, they had a good bro moment. The next game of a 7 on 7 started and Aoi is facing a tough match and seemed like it was going rough once that goal strikes due to the uncooperative teamwork but with Aoi getting his own energy back to the field through various flashbacks, a raven sparks in and the coin was a pretty nice illusion in order to form Aoi's state back to the game, also wtf Coach's face when seeing Aoi struggling lmao. No in the way they see potential in Aoi, gotta handle his bratty behavior for the most part. Talking to Hana must be something comfortable for Aoi because she can listen to his struggle and she can give a word of encouragement yep. Now the next episode must be the decision of whether or not Aoi will pass the tryout and go through another secondary or final exam.

I kinda think it makes sense that they're speedrunning most of the chapters because it's a lot more concise in this adaptation medium and like half in half of the content from the manga from Chapter 2-6 are mostly either narratives from Aoi's inner that just happens in any manga form lol as either an introductory or what the character is feeling, it's a lot more enjoyable in the anime form without it being used too much as it's more straightforward to focusing on the try out though visually I prefer the manga, but then again I understand how difficult it's to fluidly make a soccer movement in an animation form.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 16, 2022 6:17 AM

Sep 2021
This chapter went really fast, and i actually like that it goes fast, im not that really interest in seeing the tryouts of something i already know will end with him passing so the faster the better.

Its kinda obvious now seeing the ED who will pass to the team...

I ike the ED song more than the OP.
Apr 16, 2022 6:31 AM
Feb 2021
more entertaining than actual football
Apr 16, 2022 6:36 AM

Apr 2014
Underwhelming. I think this adaptation lacks a lot. I'll keep watching it, but at the same time I'll probably start reading the manga.
Apr 16, 2022 6:39 AM

Oct 2021
Noice Episode, now we are at tryouts and that field sequence of Ashito, i.e. Observing the players and make a chance to have a long shot was beautiful. OP is Banger and ED Is Soothing which fits perfectly on this show's theme.

I Know that they had skipped so manga panels and now we are on Chapter 6, But personally rushing the Tryouts is good idea, Cause there is no need to show that in detail, as we can predict anyway ashito gonna make it. This time it's good, but i am hoping that they won't gonna rush the story from another episode. Anyways, Good Episode...

Apr 16, 2022 7:24 AM

Jan 2021
Pretty rushed in terms of chapters adapted and skipped panels, but I honestly don't mind as long it's the tryouts. The manga gets better as it goes on so I hope they won't rush the rest of it. The animation was great this episode aswell, and the OP is such a banger. Really looking forward to next episode.
Apr 16, 2022 7:37 AM

Jul 2017
fells like fast paced episode, it's good episode nothing wrong with that they just cut some conflict and dialogue. it's not a problem after all.
im not too good to speak english

.. -- / -. --- - / - --- --- / --. --- --- -.. / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / . -. --. .-.. .. ... ....

Apr 16, 2022 7:41 AM

Jul 2021
I was afraid this show would turn into a generic sport anime with that starter pack. But holy shit, 2 episodes in, it's been really good. Some minor problems here and there but they are not something too important anyway. This might become my favorite sport anime.

I don't know if this sounds weird but I found Fukuda attractive lol.
Apr 16, 2022 7:45 AM

Jun 2021
This is an anime made for football fans like me. References too actual players, actual tactics etc

Loving this so far.
Apr 16, 2022 8:03 AM

Oct 2017
Hana x Ashito huh, I hope romance doesn't create any unnecessary drama.

Things are building up nicely and Ashito's play was pretty cool.
Apr 16, 2022 8:11 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode, really liking this so far.

Seems very well produced as well, most of the previous football shows struggle when it comes to showing the games well but I think this has been good so far, though it remains to be seen if they can keep it up throughout it's run.

I kinda wish we had more than just one play during the mini-game though.

Didn't know this was paced fast, it felt fine to me as an anime-only. I'll consider reading the manga in parallel if there is a lot of skipped content.
Apr 16, 2022 8:39 AM
Oct 2016
Aoi got to really show his prowess in the final moments of that scrimmage game. There's so many quality recruits among those over eighty trying to earn spots that its hard to standout. Aoi really had to display something unique to get noticed. His move at the end did seem reckless but it had merit. Drawing in even the others teams defenders so more of the field could be opened up for that long arching pass to his teammates. Good thing it worked out in the end so they Aoi could do something of note during the match. Coach Fukuda had some harsh words for the hopefuls whom wanted to get their spot. Even just advancing to the junior youth team is not easy, they have to beat out tons of other players to even have a chance. So there's a good possibility that majority or even all of them here wouldn't make it. But there's certainly been a few whom rose to the top so we'll see who makes the cut for the next stage of tryouts.
Apr 16, 2022 8:41 AM

Aug 2015
good ep 2, the op is really good as well, cant wait till he starts showing off more, and the teammates look pretty interesting too!
Apr 16, 2022 8:45 AM

Mar 2016
Is this adaptation really rushed, or are we used to see spokon being slowed or dragged down? For me it's the last one, personally I prefer my futbol faster with some adrenaline.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 16, 2022 8:51 AM
Apr 2022
MegamiRem said:
Hana x Ashito huh, I hope romance doesn't create any unnecessary drama.

Things are building up nicely and Ashito's play was pretty cool.

KEKW KEKW KEKW KEKW KEKW
Apr 16, 2022 9:09 AM

Dec 2020
nice episode. i see that it seems to have rushed over some chapters? but i didnt feel that at all so id say good job for "rushing" it, since this Is only 12 eps after all. gotta make the most of everything

op and ed are exactly what id expect out of a sports anime but i loving the ed a helll lot. reminded me of dia no ace for some reason
Apr 16, 2022 9:13 AM
Sep 2019
Do you guys realize that sports anime always adapt many manga chapters if the chapters are about playing and not talking. Mangakas spend a lot of time drawing the sports' dynamics and it could take some chapters only for 4-5 minutes scene in the anime and that's why it feels that is rushed compared to the manga. For example, there was a episode in kuroko that adapted 7 chapters, didn't feel rushed and it adapted every scene. So, if they are not playing, it won't feel rushed
MaxAkumaxApr 18, 2022 11:56 PM
Apr 16, 2022 10:01 AM
Mar 2017
I mean yes it blasted till the end of chapter 6? But it didn't skip anything. Every panel, every bubble of dialog got adapted? I mean the pacing was perfectly fine. I don't understand what would you like differently when the adaptation is being completely faithful.
Apr 16, 2022 10:05 AM
Jul 2021
I don't feel like its rushed. From what i remember there was a whole chapter just introducing the players participating in the tryouts which is unnecessary to put in.
Apr 16, 2022 10:12 AM

Aug 2015
Aleone said:
I don't feel like its rushed. From what i remember there was a whole chapter just introducing the players participating in the tryouts which is unnecessary to put in.

yeah i really hope they do, they already seem interesting tbh
Apr 16, 2022 11:12 AM

Jul 2017
lizzziziz said:
nice episode. i see that it seems to have rushed over some chapters? but i didnt feel that at all so id say good job for "rushing" it, since this Is only 12 eps after all. gotta make the most of everything

op and ed are exactly what id expect out of a sports anime but i loving the ed a helll lot. reminded me of dia no ace for some reason
they just cut some dialogue and conflict scene between the teammate it's not important afterall, but this is only 12 eps ? just heard of it.
im not too good to speak english

.. -- / -. --- - / - --- --- / --. --- --- -.. / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / . -. --. .-.. .. ... ....

Apr 16, 2022 11:21 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
So this is it, its time for Ao to step up his career as a youth player for Esperion soccer club. Already met with cute girl like that seems like meeting with a goddess of fortune for Ao. But its not that easy at first, because he already placed with a lack of teamworks group when playing a mini soccer tryout. Almost fell down into the same previous mistake, Ao already used his bird-eye talent to consolidate how his teammate plays and found a way to turned up the table, even if its means a slightly chance to get into the final test. Revealed that whats Ao's doing perfectly same as what Manager Fukuda did on the past, changed the mood for the girl, and its must be become a good sign for Ao too for the next step into the final team...

As always, this is still an interesting episode. The pacing is just decent and i really looking forward to see the next.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 16, 2022 11:33 AM
Sep 2015
Watching this reminds me of Black Clover where Asta is screaming in every word, making everyone hate him because his voice is unbearable, but after hundred of episodes, those who're still watch love him.

So I hope Ao Ashi has enough episode to turn me into Ashito's lover, because just 12 or 24 episodes definitely won't be enough.
Apr 16, 2022 11:53 AM
May 2021
I just liked it. It is more fun to watch than read.
It has cover up to vol1 chapter6 .
Can't wait for the next episode .

Apr 16, 2022 12:06 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So Ashhito made it to Tokyo for the Esperion try outs where there are 86 other candidates coming out of junior high. He made a few friends including meeting Hana Ichijo who is Manager Fukuda's sister-in-law. I think we all know who is going to advance to the next stage.
Apr 16, 2022 12:30 PM

Apr 2021
Giving a very good vibe so far. There is a lot of drama, which makes the process of sports very engaging...

Fall 2022 is the most Unforgettable anime season of all time

Apr 16, 2022 1:02 PM

May 2020
Dude has Eagle Eye? Is this Kuroko?
But fr tho this episode was great, ik he moves on cause of course he will, but this whole selection process had me hooked!
Apr 16, 2022 1:21 PM

May 2015
Aoi is a bit annoying with his genius forward attitude, but at least he has the ability to cool off and see things as they are. Also, he's capable to appreciate other players' talents so I hope he won't have this conflict about playing by himself anymore.

It's funny how they try to keep us wondering if he'll pass the tryouts when "MC" is written all over his face and we can clearly see the whole team in the op and ed, lol.
Apr 16, 2022 2:04 PM

Nov 2017
Having read 2 volumes of the manga yet, the first two episodes are excellent as I had imagined! The chara-design is super neat and I really like Hana's voice. I also really like the opening and the ending!
ElyshionOct 8, 2022 1:37 PM
Apr 16, 2022 2:09 PM

Nov 2016
Esperion's logo reminds me of Gold's

Good sport anime stuff so far.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 16, 2022 2:28 PM

Apr 2018
Well, Ao's got a lot of energy and can be annoying at times but I still find him funny. Hana's pretty cute, seems like they'll get closer together. Anyway, he made it for sure with the othr green-haired kid.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 16, 2022 2:35 PM

Nov 2013
I got more goosebumps reading the manga than watching the anime when Ashito pulled that assist, maybe because I already knew what's going to happen, but I thought they could do better for that scene..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Apr 16, 2022 2:41 PM

Nov 2013
iantreel said:
Dude has Eagle Eye? Is this Kuroko?
But fr tho this episode was great, ik he moves on cause of course he will, but this whole selection process had me hooked!

Eagle eye is just a metaphor to show that Aoi could see the entire pitch like people watching it on tv (eagle eye pov), many footballers have this kind of vision, but this ability alone won't take you much if you don't have the technical skills which Aoi still lacking.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Apr 16, 2022 4:00 PM
Apr 2021
Dan-Te said:
Underwhelming. I think this adaptation lacks a lot. I'll keep watching it, but at the same time I'll probably start reading the manga.

Yeah, the manga is interesting. They still keep what the manga does but it feels pretty cheap.
Apr 16, 2022 4:08 PM

Jan 2020
solid. It could benefit from being a little bit slower but I didn't think it was awful. That was cool from Aoi

Apr 16, 2022 5:39 PM

May 2021
Dope moves from Aoi. Pacing did indeed feel a bit fast.

Apr 16, 2022 6:16 PM
Jun 2021
CQLLIST said:
The OP is pretty much giving such a Haikyuu vibe. Hana and Aoi's interaction is wholesome in the end. There are 86 (interesting number btw) participants for the tryout in order to join in the Tokyo City Esperion and the Coach's trying to be a perfectionist with his words was hilarious lmao and Aoi having the audacity to call his coach old was really something, Coach got maddie oh no!

So Aoi started training and met a friend, Ohtomo, they had a good bro moment. The next game of a 7 on 7 started and Aoi is facing a tough match and seemed like it was going rough once that goal strikes due to the uncooperative teamwork but with Aoi getting his own energy back to the field through various flashbacks, a raven sparks in and the coin was a pretty nice illusion in order to form Aoi's state back to the game, also wtf Coach's face when seeing Aoi struggling lmao. No in the way they see potential in Aoi, gotta handle his bratty behavior for the most part. Talking to Hana must be something comfortable for Aoi because she can listen to his struggle and she can give a word of encouragement yep. Now the next episode must be the decision of whether or not Aoi will pass the tryout and go through another secondary or final exam.

I kinda think it makes sense that they're speedrunning most of the chapters because it's a lot more concise in this adaptation medium and like half in half of the content from the manga from Chapter 2-6 are mostly either narratives from Aoi's inner that just happens in any manga form lol as either an introductory or what the character is feeling, it's a lot more enjoyable in the anime form without it being used too much as it's more straightforward to focusing on the try out though visually I prefer the manga, but then again I understand how difficult it's to fluidly make a soccer movement in an animation form.

i thought the same thing about the OP! the black crow feathers and crow symbolism throughout the episode was giving major karasuno energy.
Apr 16, 2022 6:18 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Why this Date dude looks like he about to go Gatotsu on those who don't make the cut...? If they don't make the cut he is gonna cut them down.. cut down all shit immediately..
Why shinpachi has a bleached afro.. he stole that from saito but i can recognise him from his glasses...

Apr 16, 2022 6:20 PM
Jul 2019
FalloutIsntFunny said:
more entertaining than actual football

Pov: you dont watch football
Apr 16, 2022 10:36 PM

Jul 2016
Dear lord, seeing Ashito keeping the ball to clearly draw the opponents' attention and his teammates not understanding what he was doing really stressed me out.

Overall, another solid episode. We all know MC is gonna be selected so "rushing" the tryouts was indeed a good decision.
Apr 16, 2022 11:03 PM
Nov 2021
Love it! Love the OP and ED. I can agree that they rushing it a bit but i think that's okay because this is just the first phase of selection exam. Manga is a lot better of course but it's still a solid adaptation. Also, I asked my friends who didn't read the manga on how they see it, they said it's good and they'd enjoyed it too so i guess it's fine.
Apr 16, 2022 11:05 PM

Feb 2008
surf78987898 said:
This is an anime made for football fans like me. References too actual players, actual tactics etc

Loving this so far.

IKR. The last football anime I watched was Area no Kishi, and that was a long time ago. Looking forward to more football anime as the World Cup draws near.

------------

"Assists feel great, huh?"

Hopefully this hints that Ashito develops into a advanced playmaker than a straight-up traditional No. 9. Maybe a false-9 like Messi or Cesc was, or maybe a "Nine and a half" like Platini or Baggio was. It would be interesting.
Apr 16, 2022 11:20 PM
Apr 2022
as someone who hasn't read the manga yet the ep didn't feel rushed at all, we got glimpse of (possibly) his future teammates and how he would react when placed in a new team, I didn't think I would enjoy it this much. moving forward I hope the pacing only gets better bc from all I've heard from manga readers I have expections from this.
Apr 17, 2022 12:15 AM

Apr 2020
Even though a lot of people saying that it's rushed they probably just skipped the unimportant parts that don't add anything to the overall story ( I hope )

I'm really liking this so far, opening is a banger.

I hope this goes for a 2-cour run, feels like that type of show that should
Apr 17, 2022 1:35 AM

Feb 2012
lizzziziz said:

is this 12 episodes series? Becz MAL is still uncertain about its length...

I feel it's more like Dia no Ace, there should be enough material for 50+
Apr 17, 2022 1:47 AM

Dec 2020
IFA1 said:
is this 12 episodes series? Becz MAL is still uncertain about its length...

I feel it's more like Dia no Ace, there should be enough material for 50+

Logical_ said:
they just cut some dialogue and conflict scene between the teammate it's not important afterall, but this is only 12 eps ? just heard of it.

ohh okay thats cool. but noo no what i said was just something i and some of my friends thought (which makes my brain think its real) but no number of eps have been confirmed yet i think. my bad for saying it as if its alr a fact
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Ashi Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 2, 2022

136 by Animeniac1 »»
Yesterday, 4:07 PM

» Second season announcement

Ale054 - Nov 7, 2022

12 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 24, 11:59 AM

» Will hana and ashito fall in love?

Weebhpk - Jun 25, 2022

16 by axou12 »»
Apr 22, 6:14 AM

Poll: » Ao Ashi Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Sep 24, 2022

225 by Shantanubarman »»
Apr 17, 11:36 PM

Poll: » Ao Ashi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - May 28, 2022

56 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 1, 1:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.