Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 15, 2022 5:59 PM

Nov 2011
Very happy to see this anime return and Killvearn is not messing around. That's a deadly position he put Dai and Popp into this episode.

Imo, this was a solid comeback for the amount of emotions in the fight. Killvearn establishes himself as a dangerous enemy with a clever mind and not afraid of taking any risks.
Apr 15, 2022 7:33 PM
Jun 2012
There was no mddle card and no ending i wonder if one piece will have that seems like they rushed the episode or it was on purpose to fit in more. Which is amazing
Apr 15, 2022 7:36 PM

Dec 2020
D4rkAnubis said:
There was no mddle card and no ending i wonder if one piece will have that seems like they rushed the episode or it was on purpose to fit in more. Which is amazing

This chapter is a major plot twist and emotional scene in the manga
IMO they put off eyescatches and ending to add some minutes to the episode in order to stop with Hadlar's death in the end.

It was a great episode. Knowing its content from the manga and had to wait 1 more month (because of Toei's Hack) was a pain in the ass. But, hey guys, we waited 30 years for the anime adaptation, so what is a month ...

++++
-Yuki Hayashi did a great job again on the ost.
- Seiyus are GREAT ( Hadlar / Popp)
-Some drawings are beautiful (Hadlar's faces) Some screenplay and animations are great (Medoroa and Popp filmed in black and white, camera rotation on Hadlar, Popp, Dai, Maam, Leona, Hyunckel's faces when Avan is back)
- They really took their time for this episode (deleting the eyescatches and ending even to gain more minutes)
Usually an episode is 70-75 pages of the manga. This one is 56 pages for 23 minutes of airing.
- Storywise, it's a beautiful moment, with great dialogues, great twist, a game changer with Avan's returnal.
A lot of symbolisms around Hadlar, Popp and Avan. Don't forget it's a 90's shonen. It's really well written. Relationship between characters are really built and deep (They don't do this on nowadays shonens anymore) Dai no Daibouken is a classic shonen in Japan (don't forget that, it's sad it appears has a lambda underestimated shonen in its 2020 adaptation, really sad)
Le-ConteurApr 15, 2022 7:54 PM
Apr 15, 2022 7:46 PM

Jun 2015
Long have I waited for this episode. This moment is so strong in the manga, and became even more here.
Apr 15, 2022 7:49 PM

Jun 2015
Le-Conteur said:
D4rkAnubis said:

IMO they put off eyescatches and ending to add some minutes to the episode in order to stop with Hadlar's death in the end.

I think they also wanted to make it a seamless experience, it's a huge deal moment
Apr 15, 2022 7:51 PM
Mar 2021
This gotta be a blessing, this means one piece coming back to🙏🏽🙏🏽
Apr 15, 2022 7:54 PM
Oct 2016
A momentous episode to return with after all these weeks with no Dai. Talk about an epic send off for Hadlar. Someone whom has been the primary villain, aside from a few chunks, for this story to resolve with the heroes right at the end. Hadlar and Popp having one of the best heart to hearts of the show so far. Nearly brought me to tears when Hadlar started to talk about how much it meant to him that Popp would save someone like that. I knew Hadlar always had respect and honor towards Dai and company but when he jumped up to grab the fire so Popp could unleash the spell it shocked me too. Just like Popp I was kinda astonished Hadlar would do that even if he was already on deaths door.

Dai managing to escape without Popp did complicate matters but it lead to a crazy return of Avan!! The legendary hero didn't actually die!? Or has been brought back!? We'll have more answers soon. Wicked way to save Popp and send off Hadlar with a reverse of his first appearance. Came in killing Avan and goes out saving his life. Hadlar was a real one.
Apr 15, 2022 7:55 PM
Oct 2016
Switch_Z said:
Le-Conteur said:

I think they also wanted to make it a seamless experience, it's a huge deal moment

Yeah I think it was more to not interrupt thr flow of such an emotional moment. At least I hope. Would be nice to see those middle cards again
Apr 15, 2022 7:57 PM

Apr 2014
It has been 1 month and 11 days. Looking forward to the next episode. What an awesome fiery one! X3
Apr 15, 2022 7:57 PM

Dec 2020
Dukino said:
A momentous episode to return with after all these weeks with no Dai. Talk about an epic send off for Hadlar. Someone whom has been the primary villain, aside from a few chunks, for this story to resolve with the heroes right at the end. Hadlar and Popp having one of the best heart to hearts of the show so far. Nearly brought me to tears when Hadlar started to talk about how much it meant to him that Popp would save someone like that. I knew Hadlar always had respect and honor towards Dai and company but when he jumped up to grab the fire so Popp could unleash the spell it shocked me too. Just like Popp I was kinda astonished Hadlar would do that even if he was already on deaths door. Dai managing to escape without Popp did complicate matters but it lead to a crazy return of Avan!! The legendary hero didn't actually die!? Or has been brought back!? We'll have more answers soon. Wicked way to save Popp and send off Hadlar with a reverse of his first appearance. Came in killing Avan and goes out saving his life. Hadlar was a real one.

Hadlar is really a great villain, well written
Yoshihiro Togashi read Dai no daibouken and the famous Villain Meruem from Hunter X hunter is inspired by Hadlar
Apr 15, 2022 9:05 PM
Jul 2018
Handler died on one damn EPIC way!
I just cant stop praising Popp's character, popp is easily the best character in the story.
I'm 50/50 on Avan coming back but I think I can overlook it because Dragon quest is 30 year old story, so you can expect this to happen. This episode was 5/5 imo, and great way for anime to come back after 1 month break.
I'm excited for next episode!
Apr 15, 2022 9:18 PM

Sep 2018
Two of my top 3 characters in a magnificent moment: #3 shields #1 from the fire!

SALUTE and R.I.P CHADLAR: THE BEST villain/antagonist ever existed in all fictions!

Apr 15, 2022 9:22 PM

Dec 2018
I had a feeling that someone would appear to save them (or Popp, when the Zoom plan had failed)

But I really didn't expect it to be Avan

DQ returned with a bang!
Apr 15, 2022 9:40 PM

Feb 2010
This chapter was so good that I even sweated through my eyes.
Apr 15, 2022 10:00 PM

Mar 2019
This has to be one of the best episodes in the show so far, amazing all around.
Apr 15, 2022 10:36 PM

Feb 2019
I’m legitimately speechless. That was one of the best episodes I’ve ever seen in my life. Legit nonstop tears from about halfway thru till the end. Popp ready to accept his fate, hadlar’s redemption and tears… praying to God… then Avan’s return… it was all perfect. I just really don’t have the words to describe it. Well worth the wait. The Music was PERFECT for Avan’s return too. Can’t wait until next week
Apr 15, 2022 11:13 PM
Aug 2017
Having read the manga many years ago and knowing what tonight episode was going to be about didn't prepared me enough for the emotional rush Hadlar's death would bring. Ep. 73 is one of the best anime episodes that i have ever seen so far...
Kudos to Toei Animation for this superb anime adaptation.
Apr 16, 2022 12:21 AM

Jan 2013
Hadlar gotta have one of the best written character redemptions i ever seen
Apr 16, 2022 1:16 AM

Sep 2013
Man what an episode to come back to,onions broke me.
Deep dark fantasies
Apr 16, 2022 2:09 AM

Jan 2009
Hadlar just wants a fair fight and to win with everything he got man lol

and Avan is back

Apr 16, 2022 2:28 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
After so many times it's back and it's for the best, seriously this episode was incredible, from Popp being epic to Hadlar dying as a hero in Avan's hands after he reappeared, I didn't expect that at all! Of course I'm waiting for more information later but this episode was very emotional from the beginning to the end, the wait was worth it
Apr 16, 2022 3:31 AM

Nov 2019
This episode was enough to bring tears to one's eyes. What a great episode, man I'll miss Hadlar. This is how you write a good likeable villain up until the end. ALSO AVAN'S BACK!? WHAT. Truly one of the best episodes of Dai no Daibouken so far well worth the wait.

R. I. P. Chadlar.
Everyone could use some One Piece in their life.
Apr 16, 2022 3:44 AM

Nov 2020
Best plot twist ever and superb episode!

The animation, the direction, the music, the voice actors, all superb!
Apr 16, 2022 4:12 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 16, 2022 4:49 AM

Sep 2007
At least they are back.
The great hero ressurected. There are beautiful nicely animated scenes like Medoroa, the scene just before the final burn and the camera going from Avan to Dai.
Now Avan is reunited with all his disciples for the first time.

For Hadlar he had a nice death. It doesn't make you forget everything he did against humans but his evolution has been very interesting to follow.

Apr 16, 2022 4:49 AM
Jul 2018
Honestly This episode was just a masterpiece,the animation was amazing especially during the moment in which pop used medroa and the sky appeared, great work of the voice actors they were able to to pass to us viewers all the emotions that the characters were feeling,hadlar and Popp moment made me smile and almost laugh and obviously avan return was super unexpected, it's so funny how hadlar is a better villain than the ones most modern anime have i didn't want him to leave,even famous series have bad villains(looking at you diavollo in JoJo part 5 and ywanch in Bleach and obviously kaguya in Naruto)dragon Quest daí is just crimminaly underrated and i can't understand why mal doesn't want This show to prosper(just look at the mediocre Score)
Apr 16, 2022 5:25 AM

Jun 2011
All around fantastic episode.. Popp and Hadlar shined in this episode.
Hadlar final moment was exceptionally beautiful with the music.
On top of that, Avan sensei is back! love it.
Apr 16, 2022 5:37 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
This is it. The long awaiting moment for the return of the great hero, Avan, and the real end for the great enemy of Dai and friends, Hadlar, which honestly handle with such a complete mixed bag way, that i can't even say it with good wording...

Though, welcome back, Dai no Daibouken. Its been a too long time for me, and this is actually a nice way to start everything again from zero. Alright. Hope there's some new oped next week, because i am surely miss something new from this one after such an exhausting previous arc until this point, to be honestly. So, yeah, lets see....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 16, 2022 5:48 AM
Dec 2013
Man, after 6 weeks, Dragon Quest (2020) is finally back. As someone who was following this anime weekly, it was rough waiting 6 weeks for the next episode. Glad we're back to just waiting 1 week for the next episode, until the show ends.

Anyway, OMG, this episode! Avan was alive all along! What a twist! Didn't see that coming at all! How did he survive back then? Then Hadlar killed Killvearn, and then Hadlar died at the end. Just like Baran, someone who started off as a bad guy, but then turns into a good guy, ends up dying.

I still think Popp not holding on to Dai in time when he cast zoom was weird and illogical. He would've died when he didn't have to, so Popp was being suicidal at that moment. I mean yes, he "froze up" when he saw Hadlar, but what a time for that to happen. And how did Hadlar sense Killvearn who was invisible? Nobody else sensed him. And Avan appearing and saving Popp and Hadlar was a bit of a deus ex machina.
wildhoodApr 16, 2022 7:16 AM
Apr 16, 2022 5:50 AM

May 2018
rip Chalder for real this time. And now Avan returns. So that's why Avan's VA was narrating the previews lol
Apr 16, 2022 6:19 AM

Jul 2015
"In their final moments people show who they really are."

Apr 16, 2022 6:33 AM

Apr 2011
I knew it!

I was always skeptical of Avan's death and it turns out I was right all along.
Apr 16, 2022 7:03 AM

Dec 2020
wildhood said:
Man, after 6 weeks, Dragon Quest (2020) is finally back. As someone who was following this anime weekly, it was rough waiting 6 weeks for the next episode. Glad we're back to just waiting 1 week for the next episode, until the show ends.

Anyway, OMG, this episode! Avan was alive all along! What a twist! Didn't see that coming at all! How did he survive back then? Then Hadlar killed Killvearn, and then Hadlar died at the end. Just like Baran, someone who started off as a bad guy, but then turns into a good guy, ends up dying.

I still think Popp not holding on to Dai in time when he cast zoom was weird and illogical. He would've died when he didn't have to, so Popp being suicidal at that moment. I mean yes, he "froze up" when he saw Hadlar, but what a time for that to happen. And how did Hadlar sense Killvearn who was invisible? Nobody else sensed him. And Avan appearing and saving Popp and Hadlar was a bit of a deus ex machina.

in the manga, not sure in the anime version, Popp explained he tried to grip Hadlar to save him. In fact he didn't have the time to grip Dai as well.
So it's not a suicidal choice but a rescue choice that was too slow.
The anime version choose to slow down all this scene (pause on Popp's watching Hadlar) it's a good choice for "emotional" purpose but not a logical choice leading to your asking about Popp's choice.
Apr 16, 2022 7:39 AM
Apr 2022
Isidoro4567 said:
Honestly This episode was just a masterpiece,the animation was amazing especially during the moment in which pop used medroa and the sky appeared, great work of the voice actors they were able to to pass to us viewers all the emotions that the characters were feeling,hadlar and Popp moment made me smile and almost laugh and obviously avan return was super unexpected, it's so funny how hadlar is a better villain than the ones most modern anime have i didn't want him to leave,even famous series have bad villains(looking at you diavollo in JoJo part 5 and ywanch in Bleach and obviously kaguya in Naruto)dragon Quest daí is just crimminaly underrated and i can't understand why mal doesn't want This show to prosper(just look at the mediocre Score)

Yes man it’s obvious that MAL doesn’t want Dai series to rise up .. by looking at the score it’s super obvious.. look at the other sites such as IMDB the score is 8 and the fact of all those fans with their positive comments in every episode.. especially this perfect best episode until now ! But still nothing change in this website 💔.. anyway Dai series is still the greatest classic legendary story with emotional characters and plot that nobody can deny it .
Apr 16, 2022 8:08 AM

Apr 2020
After weeks waiting, we're blessed with a PERFECT episode. My God. I don't have words to describe the roller coaster of emotions this episode gave me.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Apr 16, 2022 10:01 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Finally, Dragon Quest: The Adventures of Dai is back after a month delay due to Toei being hacked. This was an emotional episode in which Hadlar gave up his life to save Dai and Popp bringing Hadlar's redemption arc to a close. More importantly, Avan is back from the dead after God answered Hadlar's prayer to save Popp. Hadlar's final moments were very sad that I almost cried because he's such a well written character.
Apr 16, 2022 2:58 PM

Apr 2021
After 5 weeks its back, So glad to see it is back
Apr 16, 2022 3:04 PM
Apr 2021
We can all agree that this is by far the best episode in the series right? I don’t think anything after that is going to top it right?

I almost started crying, what a roller coaster I have been barely even watching anime recently but this is what I’m talking about, these are the moments that define why anime is so freaking awesome!
Apr 16, 2022 5:04 PM
Apr 2009
That was a fantastic episode, I'm glad that they didn't use the "commercial cards" for this one as well, also no ending theme. It shows how much they cared about this episode and it really worked pretty well.

Hadlar is a pretty fantastic villain considering that this manga is like 30 years old.

Also Popp continues to be the best character, I love how he inspires everyone and even gets recognized by so many villains of this show.
Apr 16, 2022 6:34 PM

Nov 2012
As anime only I didn't know about Avan's return, but I've been waiting for it for about 70 episodes. They waited until everyone had given up. It was a great save.

Every second in the fire vortex was fantastic. I'm gonna miss Hadlar and his chess pieces.

DQ has had the best villains.
Apr 16, 2022 7:19 PM
Feb 2014
What a fucking glorious episode this was, reminder that this anime has a 7.15 on this website, that's how good the rating system is.
Apr 16, 2022 7:26 PM
May 2021
Great episode! I am so happy for the most powerful union with Avan ♥️
Apr 16, 2022 9:12 PM

Jul 2015
We got peak fiction here, what an episode!
Apr 17, 2022 2:17 AM

Dec 2020
majin_mark505 said:
We can all agree that this is by far the best episode in the series right? I don’t think anything after that is going to top it right?

I almost started crying, what a roller coaster I have been barely even watching anime recently but this is what I’m talking about, these are the moments that define why anime is so freaking awesome!

There will be another greats epic, emotional events . the 30 last episodes will go crescendo.
Prepare your pant my friend :p
Apr 17, 2022 3:50 AM
Apr 2021
Le-Conteur said:
majin_mark505 said:

There will be another greats epic, emotional events . the 30 last episodes will go crescendo.
Prepare your pant my friend :p

Wow no way are you for real?! I can’t wait let’s go!
Apr 17, 2022 4:40 AM
Dec 2015
Finally I can comment on my favourite moment in the whole serie without spoiling anyone...

While Popp character developpment is very nice all the way until now, my vote for the best character redemption/evolution in any manga/series goes to Hadlar.

Dude is their mortal enemy since the very beginning, scheming being cruel and deceptive and then bam ! His heart changes to eventually help Dai and his friends to escape and live all while being considered highly by Popp .

I got tearful by reading this part ~28 years ago, I got tearful by watching it again.. damn thank you, authors and Toei.
Apr 17, 2022 7:28 AM

Sep 2009
This was well worth the wait. I swear if you didn't get at least a bit tearful watching this episode, you have no soul.
Apr 18, 2022 2:13 AM

Oct 2008
DAI is back!!! after how many weeks because of the hack?? lolz
What a truly majestic episode!
there has to be an explanation of how Avan is back!
and for Hadlar i salute to you RIP!
5/5.

Apr 18, 2022 8:14 AM
Sep 2020
anyone else think this show deserves a better score? I feel like this is rated way too low for what it is. This episode was great and the ones leading up to it were great as well maybe once it finishes it will go up by a lot just like black clover.
Apr 19, 2022 10:51 AM
May 2018
I felt like the opening already hinted at Avan coming back but I was still hoping that it wouldn't happen. All the comebacks in this series have been annoying. The bad guys always have to do something heroic before they die and the heroes always have to come back from the dead. Though in this case it feels like there will be some kind of bullshit where Avan is on borrowed time, came back to save them and will die again. The animation was nice.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» NEW ANIME PROJECT CONFIRMED

SOSYBOI - Mar 11, 2023

12 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Choose the best arc(s) in Dai no Daibouken!

DragonKnight92 - Oct 21, 2022

10 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

35 by Teirayo »»
Mar 30, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

132 by MonkeyDKyle »»
Mar 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

50 by Teirayo »»
Mar 27, 7:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.