Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 7, 2022 10:28 AM

Nov 2011
Lol, little Roux with such a big weapon. She has a bratty attitude too.

It looks like magic is still a major part of the story with some of the background storytelling told. Sable (Male MC) seems like a decent guy and not as childish as Roux. Not sure I feel about Holt though as she seems kinda annoying. I think it was a fine start but needs to improve more.
Apr 7, 2022 10:28 AM

Jul 2017
The spin-off sequel to Spring 2017's Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho a.k.a. Grimoire of Zero, and you don't need to watch the parent story to understand this show as it's a standalone story.

fripSide is back for another OP, and this is a much better effort than past songs.

The magic-spiralled lowest-ranked Saybil and The Dawn of the Witch Loux "Professor Los" Krystas are definitely unlike the beastfallen-witch duo of tiger Youhei and The Mud-Black Witch Zero. Along with genius girl Hort and lizard beastfallen Kudo, their roles are quite the difference from The Grimoire of Zero. You'll know since the evil sorcerer Thirteen was executed after the events of the parent story in the same Kingdom of Wenias, of which the Witch Hunt still occurs due to sentiment. This is definitely a time skip after the events of the former.

The Magic Academy's chosen ones being sent to be mages in a witch's village (though the beastfallen is quite obvious of their choice), and failure will send them into a total memory wipe. Not surprised that even with the timeskip, the Witch Hunt will still be the recurring topic between both sources, and looks like the conflict between the Church and the witches will never end.

I will have to expect something different out of this, as much as I can only remember bits and pieces of The Grimoire of Zero since it's been 5 years ago.
KANLen09Apr 26, 2022 9:21 PM
Apr 7, 2022 11:39 AM

Nov 2021
KANLen09 said:
5 years later, the spin-off sequel to Spring 2017's Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho a.k.a. Grimoire of Zero is finally adapted, and you don't need to watch the parent story to understand this show as it's a standalone story.

fripSide is back for another OP, and this is a much better effort than past songs.

The amnesic Sable and The Dawn of the Witch Roux Cristasse are definitely unlike the beastfallen-witch duo of tiger Youhei and witch Zero. Along with genius girl Holtz and lizard beastfallen Kudd, these 4 people seek the magic book known as the "Grimoire of Zero".

But this world is still the same as Grimoire of Zero with the whole Church and beastfallen anti-faction effect of the Witch Hunt still rampant, and whatever it is that this spin-off is trying to do, I hope it's a decent ride given the lackluster-ness of the parent story.

I've noticed in your posts that you always write your first para in bold explaining some stuff before you give your review about it

Just wanted to point that out XD
Not saying if it's a good thing or a bad thing
Apr 7, 2022 12:08 PM
Sep 2015
I'm wondering if I should watch Grimoire of Zero before watching this, but I already have a plan to watch 26 anime in this season alone, so I don't have enough time. But at least I'm not as confuse as I expect at first, it seems like this anime can stand on its own without relying on its prequel.
Apr 7, 2022 12:16 PM

Jul 2017
phantomfandom said:
I'm wondering if I should watch Grimoire of Zero before watching this, but I already have a plan to watch 26 anime in this season alone, so I don't have enough time. But at least I'm not as confuse as I expect at first, it seems like this anime can stand on its own without relying on its prequel.
You can watch it anytime, only some things are connected to the prequel since this is a spin-off.
Apr 7, 2022 12:24 PM
Jun 2015
KANLen09 said:
The spin-off sequel to Spring 2017's Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho a.k.a. Grimoire of Zero is finally adapted, and you don't need to watch the parent story to understand this show as it's a standalone story.

The magic-spiralled lowest-ranked Saybil and The Dawn of the Witch Loux "Professor Los" Krystas are definitely unlike the beastfallen-witch duo of tiger Youhei and The Mud-Black Witch Zero. Along with genius girl Hort and lizard beastfallen Kudo, their roles are quite the difference from The Grimoire of Zero. You'll know since the evil sorcerer Thirteen was executed after the events of the parent story in the same Kingdom of Wenias, of which the Witch Hunt still occurs due to sentiment. This is definitely a time skip after the events of the former.

The Magic Academy's chosen ones being sent to be mages in a witch's village (though the beastfallen is quite obvious of their choice), and failure will send them into a total memory wipe. Not surprised that even with the timeskip, the Witch Hunt will still be the recurring topic between both sources, and looks like the conflict between the Church and the witches will never end.

I will have to expect something different out of this, as much as I can only remember bits and pieces of The Grimoire of Zero since it's been 5 years ago.

It is worth noting that starting with Grimoire of Zero (This anime) we enter fripSide Phase 3 (Nanjo Yoshino is not providing the vocals). Its slightly hard to get use to the new vocals but I'm sure we'll get used to it.
Apr 7, 2022 12:52 PM

Feb 2019
Roux is going to get lewded a LOT. Peak loli. I enjoyed this first ep a lot, never seen grimoire of zero but easy enough to follow along and nice waifus. Thursday has a lot of peak fiction airing this season.
Apr 7, 2022 1:55 PM

Jun 2016
Albus has become a very beautiful woman XD :3
The Loli is very funny, it seems a nice series.
Apr 7, 2022 2:03 PM

Apr 2018
A decent start, the loli is pretty cool but the rest are decent. The cliffhanger was good though.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 7, 2022 2:09 PM

May 2018
Is it me or this franchise became way lewder than its previous installment?
alshuApr 7, 2022 11:19 PM
Apr 7, 2022 2:13 PM

Nov 2016
I've never imagined to see a spin-off of Grimoire of Zero, but here we are.

Pretty average in a good way so far, which makes it a good show before going to sleep, lol.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 7, 2022 2:16 PM
Sep 2020
It seems like an anime where mc is very op but he has his powers sealed or something like that, but it was an ok episode. hope to be good.
Apr 7, 2022 2:27 PM

Aug 2018
Decent first episode, we’ll see how it goes.
Apr 7, 2022 2:51 PM

Jul 2011
Im really not feeling this series, seeing that looks like the white tiger dude wont have much screen time.

Dont know if I will up to watch next episode.
Apr 7, 2022 2:53 PM

Oct 2016
Screams in fanservice, I mean judging by those manga covers it wasn't hard to tell before the air
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Apr 7, 2022 3:02 PM
Sep 2021
I'm a GoZ fan, but what I can't accept in The Dawn of The Witch is that the characters and voice acting are extremely bad. I was expecting it but was disappointed!
Apr 7, 2022 4:17 PM

Jun 2017
I wish the main series got a second season but beggars can't be choosers I guess so I settle for this spin-off.

I didn't expect that big of a time skip, it's weird seeing Zero in her (probably) twenties.

Roux is the best character so far.
Apr 7, 2022 5:11 PM
Apr 2014
I don't remember a thing of The grimoire of zero despite I've watched it 5 years ago, but seeing this It seems decent enough. Nice to have a weak MC for once who has room for improvements to gain throughout. I have high hope for him.
Apr 7, 2022 6:31 PM
Feb 2021
kuuhaku1316 said:
It seems like an anime where mc is very op but he has his powers sealed or something like that, but it was an ok episode. hope to be good.

Oh please no that would ruin it. One of the main reasons I’m gonna continue watching this is because the mc is not op, so I hope the he stays weak.
Apr 7, 2022 7:22 PM
Jul 2021
Wow that blonde loli was incredibly annoying, and the red-haired boob lady not that much better. Not sure I can take 12 episode of those two if they don't improve.

Also really odd how they both acted so familiar with the MC almost immediately after they first met him. There's something off about this show, I'm not sure if it's bad writing, poor pacing, or poor directing.

5/10 epi
Stink_BugApr 7, 2022 7:31 PM
Apr 7, 2022 7:41 PM

Aug 2020
definitely a true mid show. Not that exciting or something

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Apr 7, 2022 9:09 PM

May 2014
Liked this first episode, seems to be teasing some fantasy adventure, SoL, and fanservice fun. The loli Roux is really enjoyable, definitely the draw so far. Other two have great designs but not entirely sold on their personalities just yet. MC is obviously a bit plain, but seems alright, like his straight man role for the comedy. I feel like I might wanna try to quickly watch Grimoire of Zero before continuing with this though.
Apr 7, 2022 9:11 PM

Apr 2008
I'm struggling to remember anything about Grimoire of Zero other than it being disappointing. I'd like to believe this will be better, but I really don't.

Culturedmaster said:
kuuhaku1316 said:

Oh please no that would ruin it. One of the main reasons I’m gonna continue watching this is because the mc is not op, so I hope the he stays weak.

I'm sick of the secretly strongest cliche too, but he's one hundred percent going to have at least some secret power.
Apr 7, 2022 10:26 PM
Mar 2021
I hope sybil goes absolutely insane and turns out to be the guy who started the war- like just not giving up and becoming so desperate that he goes insane and destroys whoever is near

Apr 7, 2022 11:21 PM

Mar 2010
This is a eh for me. I liked the previous characters but the mains in this currently don't seem special and kinda annoying. Wow headmage looking way older then before. Hope we get to see Zero and her tiger soon and maybe I will drop when I do lol.
Apr 7, 2022 11:51 PM

Dec 2021
Albus from annoying little "brother" to hot big sister, also Holdem become little older here with white fur, cant wait to see Zero and Mercenary (Youhei) later episode, so far kinda meh first episode. that loli is annoying, and male lead somehow kinda lost meaning of life (he is so soulless from beginning till end of episode)
Apr 8, 2022 12:05 AM

Oct 2018
Not bad, so far, I have liked all the four isekai I watched this season, how is this possible? I had no idea that this was related to another anime which I didn't watch but looks like I'm fine. Characters are pretty boring, the loli is the only who is spreading some life among the cast. Protagonist's power levels seem to be yikes level and of course, there is focus on the panty.
Etherius_ZSApr 8, 2022 4:36 AM
Apr 8, 2022 12:16 AM

Sep 2018
A Magic School headmaster called Albus? Had a little chuckle at that. Pretty damn average and I don't expect it to get that much better tbh
Apr 8, 2022 12:32 AM
Sep 2021
It was a great beginning of the anime. I can only say it's a decent start because the things I expected didn't happen in the story, but well it is still a great start so I am expecting more in the next episode of this anime.
Apr 8, 2022 1:05 AM

Dec 2020
oh wtf i didn't expect this to get an adaptation. but its a spinoff(?) of GoZ (which i havent watched oops) so good for them ig

animation's better than i expected but the sound work is kind Eh.... so far i only like loli professors voice
Apr 8, 2022 1:20 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
This ain't a spin-off of Zero kara mahou no sho. It's a sequel to it.

Whoever watched this episode before the other one, you just saw the ending spoiler for it from Albus's explanation. (damn, she grew up to be a waifu with long hair now lol)
Apr 8, 2022 3:02 AM

Aug 2020
KANLen09 said:

do you not like other fripside songs? they have some great ones imo, mostly the railgun OPs
Call me Ren
Apr 8, 2022 4:00 AM

Mar 2013
I was actually hoping for a sequel of Grimoire of Zero but I guess spin-off is what we've got. A bit disappointed but the anime reminds of SnS and ToAru because of that OP!!!. I hope this will be a good adaptation!
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 8, 2022 6:50 AM

Jun 2013
Adult Zero is so beautiful =))
Apr 8, 2022 7:43 AM

Feb 2013
astralkill00 said:
I was actually hoping for a sequel of Grimoire of Zero but I guess spin-off is what we've got. A bit disappointed but the anime reminds of SnS and ToAru because of that OP!!!. I hope this will be a good adaptation!

It is kind of a sequel just with new Characters.

Apr 8, 2022 10:26 AM

Jun 2016
damnn .. i t hought albus a boy in grimoire zero before !!

now she is become a sexy woman !!
Apr 8, 2022 10:38 AM

Mar 2014
After 5 years it's back, not a bad start but since it such long time ago there some details I forgot
Apr 8, 2022 10:42 AM

Oct 2014
Decent enough first episode, I would have liked a magic school setting akin to blue exorcist but looks like that wont be what we get.
Regardless the characters seem decent enough. It will probably come down to the world building and main goal of Sable for me. If the world sucks you in and his goals are interesting, this could be a pretty good anime. If not it will end up being just another mid tier magic anime.

Apr 8, 2022 3:24 PM

Jul 2013
Wow... Albus grew to be a principal of a magic school. (and no reason to be confused for a boy with those honkers). And Zero is hotter than before. Overall this was meh, I'll give it three episode.

Apr 8, 2022 3:31 PM

Oct 2020
La verdad ver una historia que me trajo nostalgia y al notar que la creación de su "continuación" y ver que no es un terrible fracaso me alegro un poco (solo un poco).

Espero mucho de esto 🈷
Apr 8, 2022 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
Good opening, the show doesn't give something special for 1st ep, I'll give one more ep
Apr 9, 2022 1:27 AM
Apr 2019
i can't stand watching the first episode. that was such a fanservice. i'll keep watching in suffering until Mercenary and Zero comes up
Apr 9, 2022 12:22 PM

Oct 2017
I like the loli but Idk if I'll actually continue watching this or not tbh.
Apr 9, 2022 2:44 PM

Nov 2011
I think with the Opening this anime does have some potential. I don't trust Holt.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 9, 2022 7:35 PM

Jan 2013
Pretty nice episode man, and that ending was really good. I do wonder if she'll die or something lmao
But i wonder why she reacted that way when he spoke about his bullying experience.
Also, the main girl's VA is rimuru tempest, i knew i heard it before.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 10, 2022 6:38 AM

Mar 2018
I'm not a fan of the characters in the spin-off, it just seems like a much worse group of mages than its predecessor.

I guess I'll continue to watch in hopes of seeing more of the original cast.
Apr 11, 2022 6:07 AM
Case is closed!

Jan 2019
It’s good. Promising start!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2022 9:20 PM
Oct 2021
Kind of weird how the loli walks around showing her panties but w/e. The world is interesting enough to keep watching.
Apr 12, 2022 3:39 PM
Mar 2008
Enjoying it so far with Roux being my favourite character... though I could honestly do without the camera constantly zooming in on her crotch :/
Apr 13, 2022 8:07 PM
Nov 2019
Pred8r said:
KANLen09 said:
5 years later, the spin-off sequel to Spring 2017's Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho a.k.a. Grimoire of Zero is finally adapted, and you don't need to watch the parent story to understand this show as it's a standalone story.

The amnesic Sable and The Dawn of the Witch Roux Cristasse are definitely unlike the beastfallen-witch duo of tiger Youhei and witch Zero. Along with genius girl Holtz and lizard beastfallen Kudd, these 4 people seek the magic book known as the "Grimoire of Zero".

But this world is still the same as Grimoire of Zero with the whole Church and beastfallen anti-faction effect of the Witch Hunt still rampant, and whatever it is that this spin-off is trying to do, I hope it's a decent ride given the lackluster-ness of the parent story.

I've noticed in your posts that you always write your first para in bold explaining some stuff before you give your review about it

Just wanted to point that out XD
Not saying if it's a good thing or a bad thing

Thank you 👏👏👏🙌
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Reimeiki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2022

61 by Eshindid »»
Apr 22, 10:17 AM

Poll: » What do you think about Mahoutsukai Reimeiki characters?

Shizuna - Apr 11

0 by Shizuna »»
Apr 11, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Reimeiki Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2022

29 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 4, 2:20 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Reimeiki Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2022

16 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 4, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Reimeiki Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 5, 2022

39 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 3, 5:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.