3It was OK
17.2%
2Disliked it
1.4%
1Hated it
3.4%
Average 4.3
145 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 6, 2022 9:38 PM

Oct 2015
damn dabis backstory is :whew:
cant wait for him to get obitoed
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 8, 2022 2:19 AM

Mar 2015
i didn't tell my family that i survive, how dare they forgot about me!
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 8, 2022 2:30 AM

Jan 2009
Dabi or Toya backstory

so he is like a Nomu now or having a zombie body
Apr 8, 2022 2:51 AM

Oct 2013
At this point who cares about this character, we've been thrown around with the same topic in hand multiple times.

I don't know, its hard to be on the side of the villains of this manga or have compassion when they're all just so one dimensional.
DejaaaApr 8, 2022 2:55 AM
Apr 8, 2022 3:35 AM

May 2020
Probably the most stupid backstory anyone could imagine.
Apr 8, 2022 3:40 AM

Nov 2021
Nothing special, I guess they wanted to humanize dabi a bit more? Hopefully they actually start fighting and stuff next chapter I've not been particularly interested in the narrative since they left UA lol
stan megumi fr
Apr 8, 2022 5:28 AM

Oct 2017
Yeah couldn't care less.
Apr 8, 2022 5:36 AM

Aug 2021
These comments just ain't it, yikes.
Apr 8, 2022 7:19 AM

Dec 2020
He went wild with that last panel

Apr 8, 2022 8:15 AM

Apr 2018
After seeing that his family moved on from him, he became Dabi. Well, that's a pretty obsessive guy. Anyway, it's good to know that he did everything from the beginning on his own and not with the help of AFO.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 8, 2022 10:02 AM

Jan 2014
can't we just go past this, I'm getting sick of Endeavor family issues.
Apr 8, 2022 11:33 AM

Sep 2013
My expectations were low and this still shocked me.

"You were in a coma for 3 years. Your family believe you to be dead."
Goes home "What!? How could they think I've been dead and moved on in these 3 years!?"

Maybe it was supposed to be about how "Endeavor's need to create the perfect hero is flawed and he continues it even with the death of Touya" or something, but it felt weak.
Apr 8, 2022 11:49 AM
Dec 2020
I think "my family has moved on from me" means his family forgot about what happened him or something.
Deathlydash
Apr 8, 2022 4:24 PM
Jul 2020
When it was first revealed that this would be the final arc I was disappointed as I felt there was more to explore in this story but now I’m bored and just want this story to end. I still hope the ending will be great but after the high of Stars & Stripes the story really feels like it’s slowly grinding to a conclusion. I don’t feel any momentum and what was the point of having Toga take Deku through her portal if their interaction was gonna be so basic and provide no real character development other than confirming who’s evil and who’s good. I’ll give the artwork for Dabi 10/10, that last panel looks insane. But blaming them for moving on after 3yrs…..yeah the writing is getting annoying now.
Apr 8, 2022 4:32 PM

Jun 2017
Pretty "meh" backstory but Dabi's (maybe) final form was good at the end.
Apr 8, 2022 6:28 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
Dabi's vengeance bears resemblance to Shouto's grudges against his father. Albeit, this is expected as they're both Endeavour's sons - I understand why after all these years of hype, people had grown to expect a more grandiose backstory.
Apr 8, 2022 6:42 PM

Jan 2009
Kuma said:

lol for real thats why this backstory of Dabi or Toya sucks
Apr 8, 2022 6:53 PM

Mar 2015
deg said:
Kuma said:

lol for real thats why this backstory of Dabi or Toya sucks
the last good villain in MHA is gentle.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 10, 2022 1:28 AM

Apr 2020
Frankenstein's Monster has always obviously been an aesthetic inspiration for Dabi, but a lot of this backstory is straight-up Frankenstein.

The connection of Dabi's backstory with AFO and Garaki isn't a surprise either, but still satisfactory.
Apr 10, 2022 8:22 AM

Jun 2014
Nothing too special regarding Dabi's backstory, so let's just get on with this sibling fight please.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 10, 2022 9:03 AM

Sep 2020
I believe most of you lack the ability to interpret. The point is that he was always Endevours' first priority in his ambition to become the greatest hero on the planet. He ended up in that scenario because he wanted to prove to his father that he could go above his limits and make Endevours' dream come true. Because his father instilled in him the belief that this was his life's purpose. When he returns, he discovers that Shoto has taken his post. The issue here is not that his family has forgotten him, but that even after he "died," his father was still fixated on making Shoto the number one hero, which implies he was just replaced and goes back to his entire philosophy that heroes' society is corrupted. That is why he started following Stain. Basically, not even his ''death'' made his dad change his attitude and obsession, pretty much he felt like his life never mattered in the first place.
JellybeanxApr 10, 2022 9:07 AM
Apr 10, 2022 9:21 AM
Apr 2016
I don't understand why anyone thinks Dabi was just upset because his family thought he was dead or that they moved on. That's not the issue. It was that even though they thought he was dead, from Touya's perspective, Endeavor still didn't care. Touya came home, saw that his supposed death was technically acknowledged, and yet there was Endeavor, still training Shoto to be his successor, continuing with his mission as if everything that happened with Touya meant nothing. Touya was already hurt after Endeavor gave up training him because of his inability to handle his quirk's heat, and even more so when he told him to essentially give up on being a hero after everything he had been through, as did his mother for that matter. And even though he kept pushing himself to the point of near-death, Endeavor didn't seem to care. All that seemed to matter to Endeavor was making a successor. Touya wanted his life to have meaning. He wanted his father to acknowledge him. But even his supposed death didn't seem to be enough to make Endeavor care. Confirmation. His life really didn't matter. It never did. It broke him. So Touya Todoroki was dead and Dabi was born. He now knew that to achieve his goal not even death was enough. It's not about revenge. It's not about power. All that matters is giving his life meaning. Leaving a mark. If even his death wasn't enough to do that, then he would find a way to leave a mark, one way or another. And not even a master of manipulation like All for One could convince Dabi otherwise.
Apr 10, 2022 9:23 AM
Jun 2017
Jellybeanx said:
I believe most of you lack the ability to interpret. The point is that he was always Endevours' first priority in his ambition to become the greatest hero on the planet. He ended up in that scenario because he wanted to prove to his father that he could go above his limits and make Endevours' dream come true. Because his father instilled in him the belief that this was his life's purpose. When he returns, he discovers that Shoto has taken his post. The issue here is not that his family has forgotten him, but that even after he "died," his father was still fixated on making Shoto the number one hero, which implies he was just replaced and goes back to his entire philosophy that heroes' society is corrupted. That is why he started following Stain. Basically, not even his ''death'' made his dad change his attitude and obsession, pretty much he felt like his life never mattered in the first place.

Exactly. After all this time, after supposedly seeing the first son he'd been pushing die, Endeavour was still up to the exact same thing with the next kid. The guy's in the exact same pose with the same look in his eyes while he's training Shoto, I thought it was pretty obvious.
Apr 10, 2022 9:44 AM

Jun 2014
Bro we get it Endeavor sucked as a dad lol.

Without coming off as edgy, this manga is in desperate needs of raising the stakes somehow. We’re 350 chapters in and the most we’ve had die in present day is like…

Nighteye, Jin, Stars & Stripes, and like all of the originators of Deku’s powers and a few minor antagonists/side characters?

Why are we splitting up the class to give them fights with antagonists we still don’t really care about? Am I supposed to feel bad for Dabi at this point 350 chapters in over Shoto? Obviously we’re gonna be rooting for the dude we’ve known since chapter 6. So why delay the fight by another 2 weeks just so we can get a “Don’t you feel bad now? Dabi got left behind too :( “ type flashback when we’re well aware of the Todoroki family issues by now. This manga never fails to let me down week in and out.
Apr 10, 2022 10:40 AM

Aug 2021
Jellybinx and The_Flaming_E are the only people who has a brain here
Apr 10, 2022 11:01 AM

Jun 2014
27thEiffel said:

Gee, could it be because they like you liked the chapter? It’s almost like everybody’s allowed to have an opinion on the thing that you may like more than others. Shocking, I know.
Apr 10, 2022 1:30 PM

Jun 2013
Touya not succumbing to All For One gave me some satisfaction, ngl. The kid still managed to be tough as nails, in that regard. I can appreciate this extra layer of him wanting to leave some type of trace of himself and for it to be by his own hands, even though that is still inevitably chained to his Endeavor-tunnel vision.

It's sad to see that just how it currently feels like he's looking at Shouto without really seeing him, the same thing had already happened before - he witnessed Shouto being put through the same abuse he was, but the ache he felt was in seeing the cycle repeat itself without him, not that it was happening to his little brother. Trauma does a number on you, folks.

The flags seem to be set for Dabi's eventual (permanent) demise, but part of me still feels like he could either not go down or take a certain someone with him by said someone's own volition. I guess we'll just have to see.

In the meanwhile: Alexa, play "Dynasty" by Rina Sawayama.
Apr 10, 2022 1:37 PM
Aug 2020
First enjoyable chapter in a long while. I'm expecting that we may get a little more on Dabi's backstory since it seemed kinda abridged here. They didn't really show how Dabi lived in the years after Toya "died" and before the series started.

I have no hopes for either the All for One or Shigaraki fights so if this fight ends up good I'll be content. Just want some good action, character moments and a satisfying conclusion to the Todoroki storyline.
Apr 10, 2022 2:55 PM
Feb 2020
Jellybeanx said:
EXACTLY, THANKS FOR WRITING THAT. A LOT OF THESE PEOPLE JUST THINK IN A VERY SUPERFICIAL WAY.
Apr 10, 2022 5:04 PM
Nov 2019
Wasn't looking forward to the idea of AFO and the doctor being involved in Dabi's backstory but I did like how it was handled here. Dabi even going back home and seeing how the family moved on, Endeavor especially, is a great addition.
Apr 10, 2022 6:48 PM

Aug 2021
so this chapter pretty much confirms that this guy is afo

which also confirms or makes it more likely that afo gave decay to Tenko
Apr 10, 2022 7:02 PM

Aug 2021
Gattz said:
27thEiffel said:

Gee, could it be because they like you liked the chapter? It’s almost like everybody’s allowed to have an opinion on the thing that you may like more than others. Shocking, I know.
lmao, I was talking about those people that didn't understand what is dabi coming from like they would mock it by saying "i didn't tell my family that i survive, how dare they forgot about me!" and Jellybinx and The_Flaming_E explained it for the people who couldn't understand it, hence why I praised them. It's almost like you got pissed because I didn't include you on the only people who have a brain lmao, it was just an exaggeration, doesn't really mean they are the only people who have a brain here.. Shocking, I know.
27thEiffelApr 10, 2022 7:06 PM
Apr 10, 2022 7:33 PM

Jun 2014
27thEiffel said:
Gattz said:

lmao, I was talking about those people that didn't understand what is dabi coming from like they would mock it by saying "i didn't tell my family that i survive, how dare they forgot about me!" and Jellybinx and The_Flaming_E explained it for the people who couldn't understand it, hence why I praised them. It's almost like you got pissed because I didn't include you on the only people who have a brain lmao, it was just an exaggeration, doesn't really mean they are the only people who have a brain here.. Shocking, I know.

I had a stroke reading this. You said “the only people who have a brain here” in referring to this thread, and now you’re trying to save face by exaggerating. You don’t have to insult everybody just because others don’t enjoy the series as much as you do.
Apr 10, 2022 7:49 PM

Aug 2021
Gattz said:
27thEiffel said:

I had a stroke reading this. You said “the only people who have a brain here” in referring to this thread, and now you’re trying to save face by exaggerating. You don’t have to insult everybody just because others don’t enjoy the series as much as you do.
Gattz said:
27thEiffel said:

Not enjoying, liking, or disliking is not the point here, I already explained it, I'm talking about the people that didn't understand it. Jellybinx and The_Flaming_E, didn't even say if they like it to not, they are just explaining it, explaining =/= liking/disliking it. Also, how is it that I was trying to save face by exaggerating, is by saying those two people are the only people who have brain here is not enough to be exaggerating lmao. If you still don't understand it, then I'm talking to a brick wall. Bye.
Apr 10, 2022 8:56 PM
Nov 2016
I might be one of the few people around here that actually likes Dabi, that character is a bit interesting and all but honestly, I expected better on his backstory, it was crap.

Oh well, the last part with him going super-saiyan was nice I guess. And btw, where the hell is Stain? he's the most interesting character in the entire show IMHO, I want to see more of him.
Apr 11, 2022 12:57 AM

Jan 2011
Was fine, but besides the AFO involvement it was pretty much just reiterating what we already knew or could infer.
Apr 12, 2022 6:07 AM

Jun 2015
While I think that it's good that the Dabi issue was deepened in this regard, it's also time to move on to current events. Enough of Endeavor's family issues for now.
uh oh!
Apr 12, 2022 7:28 PM

Mar 2016
Rather short but enjoyable backstory, it's pretty cool knowing that Dabi is one of the supposed potential backups in case Shigaraki failed to be a vessel for AFO. Yet even despite being saved, Dabi is a lost cause unswayed even by the allure of sweet promises that AFO could usually always offer.

Well then, Dabi isn't much for telling a long-winded story, so it's right about time for the battle to occur, I expect nothing less than him burning himself to ashes in this battle.
Apr 13, 2022 2:19 AM
Feb 2022
Jellybeanx said:
atleast someone with a bit brain

Tho backstory was nothing special
Dumbasses didn't even get the meaning
Like the chapter was ok but the fucking comments somehow are so dumb, it makes me laugh so hard!!
Apr 15, 2022 4:28 PM

Nov 2012
Its like Toy Story 3, damn

My Candies:

Apr 16, 2022 7:08 AM

Apr 2015
knktzvra said:

Touya Story
XDDDDD
Apr 16, 2022 12:40 PM

Nov 2012
ShadowUnown said:
knktzvra said:

Touya Story
XDDDDD

You madlad! hahahaha

My Candies:

Apr 26, 2022 8:21 PM

Jul 2013
His backstory is pretty much what I've read theories on these past years. Though nice to read it in the actual manga.
May 1, 2022 11:48 AM

Feb 2018
Dabi's fire burns stronger than ever *no pun intended*. ''The demon lord himself had to abandon that frenzied flame of death'' damn Shoto better get ready for this >_<
May 6, 2022 10:20 AM
Mar 2021
the problem is not that the family has moved forward, but that Endeavor has continued to try to create the perfect child even when it cause Touta's"death"
May 14, 2022 8:39 AM

Feb 2021
His backstory was what I expected. Nothing much different. Not sure how his hatred let him live as he was only supposed to live for a month with those cellular surgeries. I'll let that pass for now.

Dabi looks insane! I sure hope Dabi vs Todoroki lives up to the hype.

Jun 25, 2022 2:49 PM
Tyrant

Aug 2018
Yeah his backstory is okay but it made me hate Endeavor a bit more even though I did not hate him up to this point or idk maybe I did but haven't realised
Aug 23, 2022 7:29 AM

Feb 2019
Interesting how he actually attempted to meet his family again. Still, he just melted All Mights statue so I don't feel sorry for him.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Aug 27, 2022 9:38 PM
Community Mod
💧Focalors💧

Mar 2022
His backstory wasn't perfect but I still feel bad for him.

Honestly, it's sad seeing him use his power and destroy his body, killing himself in the process.

That being said, he's still a villain so that doesn't excuse whatever he's done.

Dec 22, 2022 12:35 AM

Apr 2021
The battle between the two brothers, is gonna be one awesome fight!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 403 Discussion ( 1 2 )

deg - Oct 10, 2023

53 by tmsmnrq »»
48 minutes ago

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 372 Discussion

Mei-o_Scarlett - Nov 2, 2022

23 by KoniginElle »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 420 Discussion

deg - Apr 10

23 by em4sx2020 »»
Apr 16, 7:15 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 419 Discussion ( 1 2 )

thebrentinator24 - Apr 3

50 by marquinti2 »»
Apr 14, 10:23 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 418 Discussion

deg - Mar 28

17 by marquinti2 »»
Apr 14, 9:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.