Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Thermae Romae
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2022 6:08 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
So the show was a mixed bag for me, but this last episode wrapped things up well enough.

Honestly, I had more fun watching the live action bits at the end of each episode than seeing the repetitive storyline of a supposedly brilliant architect not be able to figure out what was causing him to get transported to another place and time even after falling into water nearly a dozen times in this season. Perhaps there is a reason he doesn't figure it out, but if there is, it isn't explained. But it's anime, so I guess some measure of disbelief has to be tolerated.

The animation was super inconsistent throughout the series, ranging from averagely cheap to horrendously cheap. It's a shame the anime couldn't look prettier, cause the end segments were beautiful, and the anime could have easily have capitalized on the premise and made the anime bathhouses look really pretty.

If it was supposed to be a comedy, it didn't really succeed. Perhaps it's due to the repetitive nature, but I think even without the repetition it barely qualified as funny. Comedy is subjective, true, but I think with a naked Roman visiting various naked bathhouses in Japan, there could have easily have been quality humor. Even if not on the same comedic level as the Gintama bathhouse episode, it still could have pulled off a few chuckles. I think the main thing was that the main character, Lucius, wasn't a funny lead.

Some of the episodes were a little fun, but some were boring.

In the end, I think it was a good idea for them to add those live action segments at the end showcasing various bathhouses, cause the anime itself doesn't always do them justice. I haven't had the urge to visit Japan this much ever. So it succeeded in that way. I wouldn't mind getting another season of this just to see more live action bathhouses at the end of the episodes.
anime-primeMar 29, 2022 6:21 AM
Mar 29, 2022 9:05 AM

Aug 2016
Marked for death by bandits, but Lucius uses the occassion to build another bathhouse, this one inspired by a festival he visits in Japan.

His wife left and came back too.

The longer version seemed less fun than the short series, but it did add more depth, overall it was still decent.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Apr 1, 2022 12:14 AM

May 2013
Not showing the actual construction of the bathhouses kind of ruined the show for me.

They should have just had him travel to Japan and stay there for the bulk of the show, and then travel back with all the knowledge.

For a full fledged anime season, it kind of deserves some flak for feeling like each episode had a few minutes of substance.
Apr 2, 2022 9:58 PM

Sep 2019
It might be an educational show in disguise but damn it's one hell of a memorable concept dispute the score anyone would give it, was a blast to watch, also was nice how the things from the live action part showing up in the anime by the end.

I do admit that it would have been better if they showed more of the process, both creative and construction, like how he reverse engineer things into Roman technology, otherwise it looks like Lucius is copying what he saw perfectly when thinking how to make this things with his resources would have been fun to watch, like Roman dr stone, but that would have taken several episodes to do one thing alone so i understand that they didn't
Carpal_Tunnel69Apr 2, 2022 10:04 PM
Apr 3, 2022 6:08 AM

Aug 2017
Practically in every anime we can watch hot spring episodes but until this title it never really struck me that it's not only for relaxing purposes, it's such a huge part of Japanese history and culture.
For me anime was funny, occasionally :D
But yeah, I mainly watched it for the final live parts. And it was impressive on its own. I mean I've been watching anime for years but never was curious of Japanese sights, never wanted to visit the country, learn about real ppl. But this anime changed that. Now visiting their hot springs is a real dream! This anime influenced me a lot!
Apr 4, 2022 12:14 AM
Aug 2011
the one thing that strangely got left behind in this remake is that hilarious facepalming done by characters all the time. It was present in the old series as well as in live action movies, and actually gave a lot of comedy vibes. Shame that this small but significant detail was left out this time.

In fact, we've seen not a lot of new content, and looks like there's only 17 chapters (out of 38) are serialized. Maybe we'll get another season?

Overall, it is better than the old series. But for me, it didn't produced such impact that the old series had.
Apr 27, 2022 8:43 PM

Apr 2021
Interesting anime, neither the best nor the worst. I mainly found fun the parts where Lucius react to modern things, is a contrast that i always like. As already said the animation was really inconsistent but i never expect too much from a anime from Netflix.
May 9, 2022 3:50 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I actually enjoyed this series despite its repetitive as comedy anime can be hit or miss sometimes for Western audiences. I think the main purpose of this anime was to show bath and hot spring culture in Japan which proved to be successful as at the end of each episode we get to spend time with the mangaka Mari Yamazaki. Seeing Lucious react to the culture shock of Japanese culture was hilarious in the English dub. Now I want to experience going to a natural hot spring or bah house when I decide to visit Japan some day. I wouldn't mind seeing a second season.

7/10
AddaeAkonoMay 9, 2022 4:02 PM
May 16, 2022 11:41 AM
Sep 2015
This is the pinnacle of anime about onsen, the "east meets west", or rather "west meets easts" is really creative, since Japan is known for onsen, and the Ancient Roman is known for thermae, this feel like a match in heaven. Too bad nowadays only onsen is active, I want to try thermae, is public bathhouse still active in Rome for an actual use and not just for sightseeing?
Jun 13, 2022 3:53 PM

Jul 2015
Decent show with its niche bathhouse gimmick. I kinda prefer this slice-of-life style more than the comedic 2012 one, especially for the fact that Lucius wife doesn't leave him after all his contributions to save the Roman empire!

Jun 23, 2022 8:11 AM

Sep 2020
I love this series so much
Jul 1, 2022 6:22 PM
Jun 2021
It’s a very good anime; Mari Yamazaki was also great and I enjoyed the documentary part of the show truly.
Sep 11, 2022 12:21 AM
May 2020
A little late to the party but what a great series.
Glad that Lucius is back with his wife Livia.
May they live long and prosper!
Oct 10, 2022 5:09 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh yes there had to be a summer festival to finish the show xD To be honest that's one of the best time travel ideas I've seen for its fun and originality, I'm not even passionate about hot springs or baths etc absolutely not but this show managed to make it both entertaining and very interesting, not to mention the idea of putting live action parts with the author herself is really original, loved everything about this show overall
Oct 27, 2022 6:41 AM
Jun 2020
Nice educational anime about hot springs and bathing culture both in history and contemporary times.
Nov 14, 2022 10:53 AM

Jan 2021
I really liked this anime; it made me laugh a lot and I didn't mind the repetitive storyline. I'm definitely going to check put the manga after this! The only thing I didn't really like was the animation quality.
Apr 14, 2023 1:01 PM
Sep 2017
This was surprisingly educational, especially since I originally tuned in for a comedy. The funniest bit about this anime is the amount of time this thermæ expert spends unconcious underwater. I loved getting to "visit" the real Japan at the end of each episode.
May 29, 2023 5:14 AM

May 2010
Did I actually binge this show in a day? Yes, I did. Surprisingly enjoyable. Was expecting it to be funnier but turned out more educational (I'm not complaining). I find the language barrier funnier than it should've been because it's so relatable. Love the author's part in this anime too. I don't mind watching an entire documentary of her just going around hot springs in Japan.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Thermae Romae Novae Episode 10 Discussion

JokerVentura - Mar 29, 2022

4 by Distrekzy »»
Oct 17, 2023 6:56 PM

Poll: » Thermae Romae Novae Episode 7 Discussion

9 by sandwich-boy »»
Jul 13, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Thermae Romae Novae Episode 9 Discussion

1 by Ashhk »»
Oct 10, 2022 2:46 AM

Poll: » Thermae Romae Novae Episode 8 Discussion

1 by Ashhk »»
Oct 9, 2022 5:40 PM

Poll: » Thermae Romae Novae Episode 4 Discussion

3 by MiniEsteril »»
Oct 9, 2022 8:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.