Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 11, 2022 2:20 PM
Jul 2016
will there be a sequel?
Mar 12, 2022 10:07 AM

Dec 2020
What a wonderful, sweet and at the same time sad anime. I do hope we get a second season or at least the manga gets translated because I'd love more of this.

Poor Kotarou had an awful start to life but so glad Shin is there for him, alongside the rest of his neighbours.
Mar 12, 2022 3:48 PM
Feb 2018
This show reminded me why I love Anime! 9/10
Mar 13, 2022 1:14 PM
Sep 2015
Probably the first anime that has child neglect as its main theme and not just a side dish theme like many other anime that has child abuse scene and move on.
Mar 14, 2022 9:59 AM
Mar 2019
Definitely the sleeper hit from this season.
Did not see it advertised anywhere, it just appeared.
So glad i did find it through someone's review.
For once Netflix got it really right ( do like Aggretsuko though ) hopefully they will do that again.
Recommended.
Mar 14, 2022 12:37 PM
Oct 2021
Can anyone please tell me if there is a way i can read the manga online..? I searched for it forever and i couldnt find it.
Mar 15, 2022 12:15 AM

May 2012
Quite interesting, didn't expect much going into it, but I was honestly surprised by the fun and enjoying time I had watching the various events of this series even with the rather dark background.

I would however loved further character development and back story focus, but other that I really found it rather enjoying!
Mar 15, 2022 6:59 AM

Jul 2021
Was a relaxing SOL imo, would be great if there's a sequel.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Mar 15, 2022 10:06 AM
May 2018
The last episode was so heartbreaking yet wholesome. Wished Mizuki made an appearance. Overall a cute ending that made me tear up.
Mar 15, 2022 8:25 PM
Mar 2016
I'm really looking forward to another season. Mizuki needs to come back.
Mar 16, 2022 2:15 AM

Aug 2016
Manga-ka is finally getting a taste of success, good for him.
His ex stays over and while meaning well, says too much, he does what he does for Kotaro outta choice.
The origins of Kotaro's t-shirt was explain, I had been wondering.... the designer was a kind guy.
So he gets the papers in case his parents appear in it and as a safety measure, smart kid.
His grandparents grave, I knew his mother's name would be there.
I can't agree with Manga-ka's choice, but I do understand it.

Ending scenes: Ex Hostess looks to be doing well by the sea, Designer is sporting the same shirt lol, the three abandonded kids look to be doing well and food sample lady had her kid, nice.

.....So Season Two when?......
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Mar 16, 2022 3:44 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
I loved this show. Binged the whole thing in one sitting. It's the perfect blend of happy and sad.

I really hope we get another season. 9/10

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Mar 16, 2022 10:23 PM
Jan 2019
MarcusWongKS said:
will there be a sequel?

I really really hope so!! I loved this show so much really gave me that Barakamon feel I love so much.
Mar 18, 2022 7:02 AM

Feb 2020
A good Bittersweet slice of life show. Some of the moments hits very hard. Character design were kind of bad, but author did a commentry in show about karino drawing being bad probably referring to his case.

Overall, I would be happy to watch more, if they ever make a sequal.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 19, 2022 9:53 AM
Nov 2020
What a lovely show! I really wish for another season, I need more Karino + Kotarou ♡♡♡♡
Mar 19, 2022 4:34 PM

Dec 2017
I loved this series so much. It was a very interesting look at trauma and the ways in which we can come together to take care of those who are most vulnerable in society. Kotaro and his neighbours were all very fun and charming characters.

All that being said, I can't help but feel like it needs more. I really hope it gets a sequel.
Mar 19, 2022 8:18 PM
Oct 2016
Kotaro and Karino are so wholesome together!! I love their bond the most. Both helping the other to be stronger and become better people.
Mar 20, 2022 3:39 AM
Feb 2016
I really, really, really hope that there will be a second season and more. I want to see them grow together and what will happen in the future. This anime has definitely gone to my Favorites,no questions asked.
Mar 20, 2022 9:26 PM
Sep 2013
I really enjoyed this anime that I started on a whim. It even triggered some emotions and memories from my own childhood. Now I need the manga and expect it doesn't end like Usagi Drop (MAL is recommending that anime that I can also recommend... Just as an anime, not the manga)
Mar 22, 2022 7:37 AM

Jul 2009
Since I finished this series everyday I think about a possible sequel. GIVE ME MORE KOTAROU!
Mar 22, 2022 9:57 PM

Sep 2018
Pretty good overall, didn't know anything about this series and wasn't expecting all the underlying sadness throughout the anime, but it balanced it pretty well with the wholesome moments and it isn't forced at all, unlike other melodrama trash. 8/10.
Mar 24, 2022 7:49 PM
Jun 2021
This anime was a pleasant surprise.
Not at all what I expected.
Poignant, cute, and funny in equal measures!!
Hope there’s more to come.
8/10
Mar 25, 2022 8:15 AM
Mar 2022
damnn!!! I cant anymoree that part where Karino hides the cemetery broo thats soo saddd also the first time he lied to Kotaro.. so fxxkin sad every ep.. I really really hope there would be s2 pls!!
Mar 26, 2022 6:54 AM
May 2020
I think karino made the right choice in the end. Hard as it may be kotarou needs hope in his life
Mar 26, 2022 2:49 PM

Apr 2020
I initially wasn't gonna pick this up because it looked really childish but it quickly turned into one of those shows that I watched all of in one sitting. Absolutely adorable, funny, wholesome and sad all at the same time. The animation is kinda ugly and there were some... I guess cheap transitions? Very windows movie maker. But the art style is really nice and the music was cute.
Mar 27, 2022 12:18 PM
Apr 2020
After all i can say that this anime is worth watching.
It hits hard, like a bee sting, but not as hard as a k.o. punch.
It's hard to describe but it's something i've never experienced in any other animes.
Mar 28, 2022 3:02 PM
Aug 2020
every parent should watch this anime ;___;
Mar 30, 2022 9:04 AM

Mar 2013
Watching this makes me realize many things in life... 😭 I need a sequel!
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 30, 2022 11:12 PM
Jul 2013
astralkill00 said:
Watching this makes me realize many things in life... 😭 I need a sequel!

Exactly! This anime plays great on emotions. Some people say watch this if you have bad day to make it better... It isnt true because most of the time I was sad and almost crying.
Last scene in the cemetery is so sad...
Mar 31, 2022 7:17 PM

Jan 2022
This anime hit home in some aspects. It made me feel so many different emotions in each episode. I think they did a good job and portraying child abuse and the effects it has on people. I really hope we get a second season. 10/10 this is definitely one of my favorite animes.
This never updates so that's cool
Apr 1, 2022 8:20 PM

May 2019
Slicing the feelings.

Amazing anime, i wonder the inspiration of the author.

I'm pretty sure Karino is his alter-ego, remember the editor criticizing the "bad" character design, lol, totally meta.

But this focus on chikd abuse, no, its not something purely from inagination. There is some experience about this too.

Kotaro is the mature unrealistic little child which is a vehicle to hit the feels of the audience. We know it, and we like it.
Apr 3, 2022 6:25 AM

Aug 2011
Mami Tsumura created an incredible story. Although comedic, it touches on sensitive topics and endears us to the main character, Kotaro. Of all the neighbors, Shin Karino shines the most. This lazy, laid-back manga artist becomes the main center of this child's world and I find it very endearing.

Although it was hinted at in an earlier episode, the final ep confirmed it and had me in tears. As smart and perceptive as Kotaro is, I wonder if he already knows and is simply in denial. If there is a season 2, I will be there.
Apr 5, 2022 3:53 AM

Aug 2017
Great anime! I'm actually here hoping to read about the sequel, that's how I usually learn about that, in comments xD Sadly, nothing so far.
There was one disturbing thing, tho. His eyes! ☹ Why were they drawn like 2 vertical lines? That made me so uncomfortable and I couldn't take my eyes away.
Otherwise it'd be a masterpiece!
Apr 10, 2022 4:53 AM

Jun 2014
This was definitely a surprise gem show that came kinda out of nowhere. Very solid watch, a sad but hopeful series that explored themes you don't really get to see that often in anime/manga. It made me really think about stuff like emotional neglect and abandonment.

9/10
:3
Apr 13, 2022 9:22 AM

Jan 2013
Karino's lie at the end was very powerful stuff. Overall it was an enjoyable feel-good series, we need more of these.
Apr 13, 2022 1:03 PM

Mar 2017
That was one of the most beautiful but saddest anime I’ve ever seen. I think it dealt well with a lot of heavy stuff and carried such important messages.

Karino is dad of the year and proof that being a father is more than being the biological father to a child.

I hope there will be a season 2 cause this was some of the most heartfelt and thought provoking stuff I’ve seen in a while
Apr 13, 2022 1:04 PM

Mar 2017
bushman66 said:
Definitely the sleeper hit from this season.
Did not see it advertised anywhere, it just appeared.
So glad i did find it through someone's review.
For once Netflix got it really right ( do like Aggretsuko though ) hopefully they will do that again.
Recommended.

I feel like Netflix did a brilliant job with this anime but it’s not portrayed very well; first impressions make it seem like a cute comedy when it’s so much more than that
Apr 13, 2022 4:56 PM

May 2021
Shirt dude and mail men are amazing
Inhales oxygen
May 5, 2022 1:13 PM

Jan 2012
Interesting if not ironic timing that I finished this series with Mother's Day just a few days off. Considering Karino finding out about Kotaro's mother in this finale and all. This finale brought a smile to my face(when Kotaro lit up and started singing better after seeing Karino show up at the school recital thingy) and tears during some obvious sections. And I think that perfectly encapsulates this series. It often left me feeling rather emotional. I don't think I've seen an anime with such a wide variety of good and bad adults, parents especially were often depicted in very bad lights, but I suppose it's realistic. The series wasn't perfect. The character models were serviceable but at times felt wonky. The way the Mizuki character was written out of the story around episode 6 or 7 I wanna say really didn't sit right with me either. Still, it was a pretty powerful series on the whole, one that left quite the impression. At times brutal and others hopeful. I don't think we'll be getting more of this animated, just a gut feeling, but I'll certainly watch it if we do. Solid 8/10.
May 11, 2022 11:48 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty nice finale, this.

Karino-san's ex misunderstood the situation and nearly distanced the space between the two but I'm glad that it did not end up that way. Sick moonwalk skills from Kotarou by the way, lol.

Kotarou didn't notice his mother's name on the grave but Karino-san did. God, that lie hurt. Necessary perhaps but certainly heartbreaking. Knowing Kotarou though, I feel like he may have figured out the truth...

Takei-san fitted into the show pretty well, the umbrella sharing segment was touching, but I'm sad that Mizuki-san never came back after that sudden drop of serious tone.

All in all, the show was entertaining to keep up with and, at the same time, had this controlled dark underlying theme to leave a mark. Definitely didn't expect that side of story coming when I watched the first episode.

Solid 7/10 from my side and I wouldn't mind a second season of this!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 17, 2022 12:46 AM
Oct 2019
a seinen where the mc is a 4-year old... it's just, super bizarre sounding. but wow, it works

this is one of the best anime i've ever watched. and maybe one of the best tv shows - not just anime - that i've ever watched

it makes you laugh, and just as quickly makes you cry. it's deep and thought provoking, and it's simple and fun. i really enjoyed it

9/10. just a great show. i'd love for this to get a second season. IT DESERVES IT. but, at the same time, i almost kind of dread it. because an adorable, respectful, intelligent, thoughtful little boy having THAT backstory and emotional trauma...fack...it's just painful. it hurts me. shows like this always get to me
May 17, 2022 7:26 PM

Feb 2012
I cried a LOT at the end of this episode. Stuff like that really hurt when you think about all the neglected children out there.
Jun 1, 2022 8:03 AM

Jul 2013
A good time waster. A little bit pretentious though tbh. A 4 year old kid doing all that, being like that? come on.

Jun 8, 2022 8:42 PM
Aug 2013
Tsuyu_no_Inochi said:
Mami Tsumura created an incredible story. Although comedic, it touches on sensitive topics and endears us to the main character, Kotaro. Of all the neighbors, Shin Karino shines the most. This lazy, laid-back manga artist becomes the main center of this child's world and I find it very endearing.

Although it was hinted at in an earlier episode, the final ep confirmed it and had me in tears. As smart and perceptive as Kotaro is, I wonder if he already knows and is simply in denial. If there is a season 2, I will be there.

I hope the last part is not true T_T!!! He can't know yet!!
Jun 8, 2022 8:53 PM

Oct 2015
Sad indeed. The way Kotaro bought newspapers so he could get noticed by the delivery guy In case something happened to him, totally got me. High points of the show, were the moments of Kotarou and the apartment gang. Low points, was when Kobayashi showed Kotaro his old home apartment, that didn't sit well with me. The other Low, was when Miku had to leave.

Good show, but I still feel like there's more. Shin should adopt Kotaro and spare us the heartache, but I am willing to wait. I think he's also waiting for Kotaro too.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 8, 2022 8:58 PM

Oct 2015
PrimeX said:
A good time waster. A little bit pretentious though tbh. A 4 year old kid doing all that, being like that? come on.

I have to agree. No way is this true, a 4 year old is not THAT capable. They totally exaggerated a lot about what's true. Like how did he pay for certain stuff or enroll himself to school. Can four year old even cook? Come on
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 16, 2022 2:04 AM

Jul 2015
Quite the heavy lie from Karino of which Kotarou will probably hate him down the line but definitely the right choice. Overall a solid watch from its sweet to its sad moments, hopefully a second season will one day come.

Jun 21, 2022 12:43 PM
Oct 2020
Just finished it and I think it was good. I feel like I've seen it before or part of it before but oh well. Hope a second season happens
Jun 26, 2022 4:05 AM
Jan 2021
Karino may of lied but sometimes white lies are for the best.
Jun 28, 2022 12:06 AM
May 2020
Dug this Kotaro is wise beyond his years.
We hope for a second season!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotarou wa Hitorigurashi Episode 4 Discussion

JokerVentura - Mar 12, 2022

16 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Mar 14, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Kotarou wa Hitorigurashi Episode 3 Discussion

FMmatron - Mar 11, 2022

27 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Feb 17, 5:28 PM

Poll: » Kotarou wa Hitorigurashi Episode 2 Discussion

FMmatron - Mar 11, 2022

22 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Feb 15, 3:06 AM

Poll: » Kotarou wa Hitorigurashi Episode 1 Discussion

FMmatron - Mar 10, 2022

29 by OutOfGalaxy »»
Feb 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Kotarou wa Hitorigurashi Episode 5 Discussion

JokerVentura - Mar 12, 2022

16 by Niz_Akil »»
Dec 9, 2023 4:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.