Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 28, 2022 3:55 PM

Jun 2015
Spotlight Anime: Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai

MAL Series Information Page: Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai

MAL Score: 7.80 (scored by 26,942 users)
Ranked: #880
Popularity: #1789

In this thread we will conduct a discussion about the anime. You are free to structure your thoughts at will, both in terms of length and which aspects of the title you consider worth mentioning; and to further civilly discuss issues of contention with other members.

You Decide results:

Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai (Anime) (04/22)
- Yes: 6
- No: 7
- Haven't Watched: 23
~ Abstained: 1

- 46.15%
HiroM_May 1, 2022 1:57 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 15, 2022 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
I had to tap out halfway through the first episode. The Monogatari and Katanagatari series (from the same author) already required huge expenditures of patience with no payoff, and I cannot see this one being much different.

Dialogue-driven cinema is deceptively challenging to execute well, because the conversations therein should remain natural and engaging while exploring the characters and moving the plot forward, and the visuals should, at the very least, provide some level of supplementation to warrant the choice of medium; otherwise, the work risks becoming a glorified audiobook of banal chatting and/or unwieldy exposition. It is even more challenging to pull off when the subtleties of an acting performance are constrained to only voice-work (capturing the minutiae of human expression is notoriously difficult in animation). It is even more challenging yet to adapt a dialogue-driven story from a literary piece, as doing so typically requires a number of heavy alterations from a talented screenwriter to successfully make the leap between formats—and that is assuming the source material is even good to begin with. This show proved it was not up to task in the first fifteen or so minutes of its runtime.

Kubikiri Cycle begins with a Nietzsche quote (of course) and an attempt at two characters waxing philosophical, seated across from one another on an enormous chessboard (yes, really). They babble in a somewhat esoteric manner about whether or not genius intellect justifies moral imperialism, using a dialectic that feels like it was lifted straight from a high schooler’s diary (as to be expected from writer Nisio Isin). The opening sequence is like an entire color guard performance of red flags for a coming plague of intolerable pretension. After the opening credits, it transitions into a vacuous introductory scene for what is presumably the mandatory moe character (or more likely, one of many). Then begins the expected tedium ad nauseam of narrated exposition blocks and grueling, heavy-handed dialogue, at which point I had to smack the emergency eject button.

Visually speaking, the general direction, storyboarding, framing, etcetera are clearly more concerned with aesthetic value than functionality (i.e., serving the story). The show is pretty enough to look at, and the original light novel is probably enjoyable, but as an animation it is a bit of a dud—at least in my opinion of what constitutes a good film/series.
removed-userMar 16, 2022 3:54 PM
Apr 7, 2022 1:51 PM
Apr 2011
Seems interesting. I'm going to give this a fair shot and watch it.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.