Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2022 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
Not going to lie, I think the music used for this episode is pretty epic especially the first half.

Then, there's the conflict dealing with village wolves. Noe had a rough fight this episode too but managed to hold his own, at least without getting himself killed. The psychological vibe of this episode still felt pretty impactful imo.
Feb 18, 2022 7:28 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 18, 2022 8:57 AM

Jul 2017
Vanitas coming in to request Jeanne to help him save the framed Beast Chloé, I feel like he's a chad to keeping his promises to her, even to the point that he truly loves her from the bottom of his heart. Now that is what you call a beautiful character moment, and only an esteemed mangaka like Jun Mochizuki can do so.

Chloé d'Apchier's revenge has failed, and Vanitas desperately needs his Book back to save her, and it rests in the hands of Jean-Jacques to save them out of her closed illusion world. Even the Paladins are having a hard time fighting off the Beasts while Noé fights off Astolfo's sudden rage, and Jean-Jacques comes to terms with Chloé's real objective of a future not set for her with everyone beckoning a price on her head, with the only option being her support and shield.

As for Astolfo, he's always lived within the confines of the human world and yet taught disdain towards vampires, and lo and behold, like Noé, he and his little Mistress sister hung out with one such kid stranger vampire...until all hell broke loose that he took advantage of Astolfo's family to exact revenge on the Chasseur's Paladins.

Now all it takes is for Vanitas to activate his Book and commence the purification.

This episode...it may have missed some content from the manga, but the anime-original(?) events give it another level of glimpse that only incites more elevation to the anime as a whole. Loving it, and this is probably my favorite episode of the series thus far.
Feb 18, 2022 9:07 AM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
Three emotionally touching moments combined into a single beautifully composed episode. Everyone in the location got their own role to work with. Not a single forgotten character.

What an epic episode it was.

11/10 lmao
Feb 18, 2022 9:14 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Damn Astolfo's past with his little sister and that end of episode, really emotional :(
Feb 18, 2022 9:31 AM
Sep 2015
I rather find this arc not in my interest, I hope it's not spend the entire season in this arc alone.

Also, I'm not a fan of this subvert trope, two lead male protagonists is supposed to be borderline BL, not this strong-hetero.
Feb 18, 2022 10:13 AM
May 2021
So Astolfo had a bad expirence with vampires and he want to slay every of them. Jean-Jaques told Chloe his true feelings, and Vanitas and Jeanne are cooperating to save her.
An intense episode, the fight between Astolfo and Noé was good.

Feb 18, 2022 10:40 AM

Mar 2020
Loved it!
I knew that they were changing and rearranging the events to fit the tv format.I am glad i wasnt wrong or something of that sort..Though i hope they address the kind of malomen chloe is suffering from in the next episode.
My fav part was when vanitas got the flash back and activated the engine.
Also they elaborated on astolfo s storyline quiet a bit. IN the manga there was no such vampire actually(he existed but the friendship thing was not there for the most part). Considering that it was great!!

The music again was amazing and i liked the action scene as well but considering how bones animated everything else, i did had higher expectations. Not disappointed but expecting an even better treatment with fight scenes.
Overall 10/10 episode
234MannanFeb 18, 2022 11:03 AM
Feb 18, 2022 1:26 PM

Sep 2018
Didn't feel like much happened in that episode, the Astolfo backstory was alright I guess...
Feb 18, 2022 2:05 PM
Dec 2017
I’ve never watched Vanitas before, but I started watching it and reading it just 2 days ago and I love this anime. This ep I really enjoyed it, I’m looking forward for next weeks ep.
Feb 18, 2022 3:09 PM

Nov 2011
I actually thought the entire episode up until the ending was pretty mid.

I have Zero interest in Astolfo and his hated for Vampires was pretty obvious once the flashback happened.

However...the ending...

YES!!!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 18, 2022 4:24 PM

Apr 2015
Quite the emotional episode, especially the part between Chloe and Jean-Jacques. The fact that Jeanne also is quick on the uptake by bringing Vanitas close to Chloe to cure her makes for some great teamwork.

Not to mention Noe keeping Astolfo busy. I really do not like him... despite him having a really messed up past.
Feb 18, 2022 6:13 PM

Dec 2020
so vanijeanne out now? he fr just confessed like that. go off man

astolfo got betrayed by a vampire after thinking that they were differeng from what he was taught. and not just any betrayel, guy killed his whole family. only leaving the butler lmfao. astolfo still p insane tho

chloe and jean-jaques were definitely the highlight of the ep for me, that last part with jean-jaques finally putting all the pieces together and hugging chloe. loveeed it
Feb 18, 2022 7:55 PM

Jun 2019
This episode made it more noticeable that they’re trying to conserve animation effort by not showing characters talking. Many times they held extreme long shots too long and cut to other things while characters were talking. I’m hoping that doesn’t mean bad things in the future.

Aside from that, this episode was ok. It all sounds good on paper, but the execution left me less engaged than I should’ve been.
Feb 18, 2022 8:57 PM

Jan 2010
Blue_Maroon said:
This episode made it more noticeable that they’re trying to conserve animation effort by not showing characters talking. Many times they held extreme long shots too long and cut to other things while characters were talking. I’m hoping that doesn’t mean bad things in the future.

Aside from that, this episode was ok. It all sounds good on paper, but the execution left me less engaged than I should’ve been.

The animation quality has been noticeably tanking these past few episodes. But the animation has been inconsistent overall since the first cour imo. But I think this is pretty typical with Bones? idk. The last Bones anime I watched was SK8, and the animation and visuals got pretty bad in the last 1/4 of the anime. But then again, Godzilla S.P. looked really good, which was also done by Bones in collab with studio orange...but that might have just had a better production behind it.

Still got 6 more episodes with this, but it looks like this arc is gonna wrap up in the next episode, so there probably won't be much action scenes left to animate, which have fared the worst visually.
Feb 18, 2022 9:00 PM
May 2016
phantomfandom said:
I rather find this arc not in my interest, I hope it's not spend the entire season in this arc alone.

Also, I'm not a fan of this subvert trope, two lead male protagonists is supposed to be borderline BL, not this strong-hetero.

This is not BL. It's Shounen. shonen or shounen, are Japanese comics marketed towards young teen boys between the ages of 12 and 18.
In the manga Vanitas is in love with Jeanne. Vanitas x Jeanne is OTP.
Feb 18, 2022 9:13 PM

Mar 2017
Pretty alright episode, they did the Jean-Jacques scene with Chloe very well. Also I’m pretty sure young Astolfo’s voice is Iruma-kun’s VA? It surprised me when I heard it lol.

I’m glad they finally did add a bit more to Astolfo and his backstory, even if it wasn’t done in the fantastic way that the manga did it. They better not cut off any of his speech in the next episode at least or else my disappointment will be even greater for this arc, considering Astolfo’s parts were literally my favorite parts. :((
Feb 18, 2022 11:32 PM

Aug 2020
Astolfo's backstory was painful. Chloe :'c

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Feb 18, 2022 11:38 PM

Mar 2020
Shizurusa said:
Pretty alright episode, they did the Jean-Jacques scene with Chloe very well. Also I’m pretty sure young Astolfo’s voice is Iruma-kun’s VA? It surprised me when I heard it lol.

I’m glad they finally did add a bit more to Astolfo and his backstory, even if it wasn’t done in the fantastic way that the manga did it. They better not cut off any of his speech in the next episode at least or else my disappointment will be even greater for this arc, considering Astolfo’s parts were literally my favorite parts. :((
Astofolo backstory was actually much shorter in the manga though...They extended it in the anime by using the storyboards that the author herself provided.
234MannanFeb 18, 2022 11:41 PM
Feb 18, 2022 11:43 PM
Jul 2020
phantomfandom said:

Still to come)
Watch the next arc
Ririnka-kotaFeb 18, 2022 11:46 PM
Feb 19, 2022 1:27 AM
Jul 2020
This episode left a rather strange impression ...
I liked the structure of the episode as a whole and really liked Jean Jacques with Chloe (straight to wet eyes😢). However, for a viewer only familiar with the anime, with the anime cutting into Chloe's past, it must be hard to understand why she chose to kill herself...
Astolfo's past was good, but terribly censored, in the manga there was much more tin. And in the anime they did not name his age, his story looks different if you know that he is 15 now.🤔
I really hoped that they would show Vani playing the piano in more detail....
It's a pity, but the vanijeanne and vanoe scenes in the manga are much more sensual: the first scene (perhaps due to the separation between episodes) seems too fast, and Bones also cut out the moment where Noe shielded Vani with his body from Chloe's wolves.😡
Also, the scene of the arrival of the dhampirs somehow distorts the character of Dante (and this is because his participation was cut earlier). Dante tried so hard to help Vanitas and Johan talked him into running... But like with Astolfo's past, I hope that Bones will just carry the flashbacks of Dante's past and his encounter with Vani into future episodes.

lizziziz said:

Nope, he lied to Jeanne that he loves her from the very beginning)). Although, I think, some love in his understanding (not yet romantic) is his promise to kill her. But this needs to go into the analysis of the character of Vani and spoilers
ninka22 said:
phantomfandom said:

This is not BL. It's Shounen. shonen or shounen, are Japanese comics marketed towards young teen boys between the ages of 12 and 18.

I would clarify that manga is more popular with women, and the age limit for anime is 18+ (at least in my country) XD the concept of "shonena is very blurry" now
I think, nevertheless, that the manga is not purely BL, but not purely het either, the author has a lot of ambiguous relationships of characters with blurry platonic / romantic / psychological boundaries (otherwise, in this thread, I ask you to refrain from another sracha and be intelligent people)
Ririnka-kotaFeb 19, 2022 2:00 AM
Feb 19, 2022 7:22 AM
May 2016
Ririnka-kota said:
I liked the structure of the episode as a whole and really liked Jean Jacques with Chloe (straight to wet eyes😢). However, for a viewer only familiar with the anime, with the anime cutting into Chloe's past, it must be hard to understand why she chose to kill herself...
Astolfo's past was good, but terribly censored, in the manga there was much more tin. And in the anime they did not name his age, his story looks different if you know that he is 15 now.🤔
It's a pity, but the vanijeanne and vanoe scenes in the manga are much more sensual: the first scene (perhaps due to the separation between episodes) seems too fast, and Bones also cut out the moment where Noe shielded Vani with his body from Chloe's wolves.😡
Also, the scene of the arrival of the dhampirs somehow distorts the character of Dante (and this is because his participation was cut earlier). Dante tried so hard to help Vanitas and Johan talked him into running... But like with Astolfo's past, I hope that Bones will just carry the flashbacks of Dante's past and his encounter with Vani into future episodes.

lizziziz said:

Nope, he lied to Jeanne that he loves her from the very beginning)). Although, I think, some love in his understanding (not yet romantic) is his promise to kill her. But this needs to go into the analysis of the character of Vani and spoilers
ninka22 said:

I would clarify that manga is more popular with women, and the age limit for anime is 18+ (at least in my country) XD the concept of "shonena is very blurry" now
I think, nevertheless, that the manga is not purely BL, but not purely het either, the author has a lot of ambiguous relationships of characters with blurry platonic / romantic / psychological boundaries (otherwise, in this thread, I ask you to refrain from another sracha and be intelligent people)

There is nothing ambiguous there. There is only friendship between Vanitas and Noe.There is nothing romantic. fujoshi see what they want to see.
chapter 44 confirms Vanitas has fallen in love with Jeanne.
This manga is Shounen not Bl. It has been serialized in shounen manga magazine Monthly Gangan Joker. It doesn't matter if It's popular with women. It's marketed towards boys. It will never be BL. lmao
ninka22Feb 19, 2022 7:25 AM
Feb 19, 2022 8:09 AM
Jul 2020
[quote=ninka22 message=65750756]
Ririnka-kota said:

There is nothing ambiguous there. There is only friendship between Vanitas and Noe.There is nothing romantic. fujoshi see what they want to see.
chapter 44 confirms Vanitas has fallen in love with Jeanne.
This manga is Shounen not Bl. It has been serialized in shounen manga magazine Monthly Gangan Joker. It doesn't matter if It's popular with women. It's marketed towards boys. It will never be BL. lmao

Lol, I didn’t say that it’s directly BL and I didn’t deny vanijeanne, you somehow read my comment wrong.
As for the ambiguity - in the eye of the beholder, you are very much mistaken that only fujoshi see the romantic...
And, if anything, the topic is not for this topic, it is only for discussing this episode.
Ririnka-kotaFeb 19, 2022 8:13 AM
Feb 19, 2022 8:18 AM

Mar 2020
Ririnka-kota said:

lizziziz said:

ninka22 said:

Again...i would like to mention that astofolo past was extended in the anime with author story boards...It wasnt censored infact, he would state the age in the continuation of the fight in the next episode...(just like in the manga where he mentioned about his sister later on)

I agree that the manga is more immersive but i swear, sometimes the manga readers make anime sound like a disaster when its pretty far from that...Its rushed but a good adaptation nevertheless...(kinda like fruba finale where they cut some chapters as well and vanitas atleast is better in that regard)

Feb 19, 2022 8:30 AM
Jul 2020
234Mannan said:

Again...i would like to mention that astofolo past was extended in the anime with author story boards...It wasnt censored infact, he would state the age in the continuation of the fight in the next episode...(just like in the manga where he mentioned about his sister later on)

I agree that the manga is more immersive but i swear, sometimes the manga readers make anime sound like a disaster when its pretty far from that...Its rushed but a good adaptation nevertheless...(kinda like fruba finale where they cut some chapters as well and vanitas atleast is better in that regard)

No, I don’t want to say that the anime is terrible, it certainly has its advantages, but the manga conveys the nuances much better, the relationships of the characters are much better conveyed in the manga. As for the dhamps, their behavior in this series is really quite different from the original, which confuses me.
I saw about the storyboards on Twitter, but the censorship is not in hushing up his age, but in what the vampires did to his body and how his mother and father died ...
Feb 19, 2022 9:06 AM

Oct 2021
Too much happened in this episode and i swear it felt like 5 minutes long.
Feb 19, 2022 9:53 AM

Mar 2020
Ririnka-kota said:
234Mannan said:

No, I don’t want to say that the anime is terrible, it certainly has its advantages, but the manga conveys the nuances much better, the relationships of the characters are much better conveyed in the manga. As for the dhamps, their behavior in this series is really quite different from the original, which confuses me.
I saw about the storyboards on Twitter, but the censorship is not in hushing up his age, but in what the vampires did to his body and how his mother and father died ...
Well only at rare occasions an adaptation surpasses its source and its even rarer when the source itself is a complex piece....
As i said the manga is more immersive and detailed since it has no time constraints...But its not the case with anime...What readers need to understand is not jumping to conclusions hastily in an adapt which rearrnages the order of original events and also, adapting panel to panel is pretty cliche imo.
Not to mention that the anime captures the atmosphere as well..

Also since the author is involved, i dont think they are going to mess it up...
But well...Manga biass comes in play for the most part(Readers forget that they know the entire story) and its not just vanitas.
Believe me i have seen alot of anime adapts and this is certainly much better then 75 to 80 percent of them..
About astolfo, the parts where he mentions his sister getting violated were in a conversation with Noe in the later half of their battle.(Which hasnt been adapted yet)
The anime did potray it visually though..
About dhams, I think they will rearrange it later on.
(It could have been pretty out of place in the anime even though it felt natural in the manga)
Feb 19, 2022 9:05 PM

Mar 2017
234Mannan said:
Shizurusa said:

Astofolo backstory was actually much shorter in the manga though...They extended it in the anime by using the storyboards that the author herself provided.

I'm aware it's shorter in the manga and personally, that's how I preferred it. It was better expressed that way, where we saw Astolfo's trauma/past in bits and pieces and then it was finally connected together with Astolfo's words with his recount of the incident, along with the short manga panels showing what happened during that, instead of having it more "elaborately" shown in one sitting the way this episode did it. For me, that was more impactful and much more fascinating, and why I greatly enjoyed Astolfo's character in this arc.

They still did a good job of course, and I very much understand why they made the decision to do it this way, but it's still of course disappointing for me because it's just not the same and will never be able to compare to the way the manga revealed it.
Feb 20, 2022 8:12 AM

Mar 2020
Shizurusa said:
234Mannan said:

I'm aware it's shorter in the manga and personally, that's how I preferred it. It was better expressed that way, where we saw Astolfo's trauma/past in bits and pieces and then it was finally connected together with Astolfo's words with his recount of the incident, along with the short manga panels showing what happened during that, instead of having it more "elaborately" shown in one sitting the way this episode did it. For me, that was more impactful and much more fascinating, and why I greatly enjoyed Astolfo's character in this arc.

They still did a good job of course, and I very much understand why they made the decision to do it this way, but it's still of course disappointing for me because it's just not the same and will never be able to compare to the way the manga revealed it.
Ah...I am pretty sure you are refering to the events that havent been adapted yet...(in the next chapter 41,42)
Since you mentioned his final words regarding his sister and all...
Yeah it isnt revealed in just one sitting... You cant really make that judgement considering that and i would advise revisiting the manga to confirm that as well...

I personally adore the manga but those last statements were a bit of a stretch if you ask me...
Anime did elevate some scenes (eg vanitas flashbacks, Jeanne and vanitas in the start was tiny bit better as well and yeah astofolo s flash back isnt complete but still i thought it was just as good, even better if you ask me)
ALso just to clarify, we know the story sooo ofcourse its going to be different and much less impactful...
The only complain i can give right now is regarding the animation tbh...Other then that, all i comprehend with these statements "is manga bias in effect"....
So yeah try to view anime without the biass :) ...

Feb 20, 2022 9:06 AM

Jul 2021
It was a really good episode and a lot of things happened. I'm curious to know what will happen to Chloe.
Now Astolfo's story has been shown and we know why he hates vampires so much.
asdasdsadad
Feb 20, 2022 5:27 PM

May 2021
A bit slow for me in the beginning but the ending was awesome.

Feb 21, 2022 4:38 AM

Aug 2019
Poor Astolfo, he had a messed up backstory.

Now I understand why he despise vampires
Feb 22, 2022 8:40 PM

Jul 2016
So-so episode overall. Honestly, I never cared about Astolfo and his backstory being this generic sure didn't help in changing that aspect. Last minutes with Jean-Jacques and Chloé were alright tho.

234Mannan said:
About astolfo, the parts where he mentions his sister getting violated were in a conversation with Noe in the later half of their battle.(Which hasnt been adapted yet)
The anime did potray it visually though..

What are you saying? What did it portray? There wasn't any hint of Astolfo's sister having been raped...
Feb 25, 2022 12:16 AM

May 2020
Okay episode with Astolfo's backstory being the highlight.
Feb 27, 2022 1:29 PM

Aug 2017
I can't take the Astolfo backstory seriously when he was making weird faces during the entire season lol.
NurguburuFeb 27, 2022 1:37 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 3, 2022 7:19 AM

May 2016
That was intense and impactful I hope this show gets some more recognition.
Mar 3, 2022 8:43 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Where can i find a woman like Jeanne? Short hair and albino and flawless skin. My dream woman.. so strong physical and typical woman inside..
Shouldn't a vampire has the healing ability to grow a hand ? Do they need to stitch it? Or will he be the one armed vampire?

Mar 9, 2022 11:25 AM

Apr 2021
So far really interesting.......it was really sad to see Astolfo's backstory. This episode was also really intense and good imo!!!!
Mar 27, 2022 7:32 AM

Jun 2020
Oh my god why is no one talking about Astolfo voice acting. So so SOOO GOOOOD. I’ve been so impressed. Ayu is killing it!!!!!

Okay but why was Noé holding the pipe to fight so cute lol. I’m such a Noé simp everything he does is hella cute

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Mar 29, 2022 11:09 AM

Oct 2017
Enough with the cliche chasseur backstories, doesn't make me feel bad for them one bit.
Apr 21, 2022 2:21 PM
Nov 2020
Honestly I really can't blame Astolfo for his hatred towards vampires, he's extremalty traumatized plus most likelyblames himself for ehat happend to his family.
Apr 26, 2022 10:14 AM

Apr 2010
I loved the little detail where Vanitas makes this promise to help Jeanne, and then next time we see him, he's smacking Noe saying "I spoke too soon cuz of you! This is your fault! I don't make promises I can't keep!" all the while blushing like crazy🤭
Hahaha for someone who's always so in control, I loved seeing Vanitas lose his cool (and he's been doing so for a while now xD) And he's been this way around Noe too
You love to see it!
May 1, 2022 3:02 AM

Jul 2015
I like how Astolfo is using this sacred vampire slaying spear while Noé just parries most of his attacks with a random pipe he found.

Sep 2, 2022 6:50 PM

Jul 2013
I still don't like Astolfo no matter what
Mar 19, 2023 5:30 PM
Aug 2019
Interesting developments in this episode. I liked where astolfo's character was finally going in this episode but he could have still used some work. I wished we could have seen more build up with him and his friend before the betrayal (even though it was obvious it was coming) I interested to see where things will go. My favor relationship is between Jean Jacques and Chloe. Good Mother and Son relationship. I wish we had more time to flesh this out. I wish we had more time to flesh all of these characters out.
May 6, 2023 7:31 PM

Nov 2022
Vanitas and Jaenne is a perfect match for sure, but Vanitas just have superficial love till now he don't know his true feelings. I feed bad for that lad but it was his mistake to being a fool to begin with, so he can't blame all the vampire
Oct 14, 2023 1:23 AM
Oct 2023
Incredible to see the story unfolding itself and adding new colours to the story, it's amazing.
Apr 11, 5:11 AM
Feb 2024
This was a really good episode. In the end Astolfo is not just a basic crazy evil guy, he has a really complicated past so I can understand his hatred towards vampires. The relationship between Chloe and Jan Jaques is so pure and sad, I want them to be happy together forever
Apr 11, 11:51 AM
Mar 2019
Just wish for help, Jeanne.
Never ever trust a Vampire you don't know.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2022

82 by bushman66 »»
Apr 11, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Mar 25, 2022

74 by bushman66 »»
Apr 11, 12:07 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2022

54 by bushman66 »»
Apr 11, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Part 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Mar 11, 2022

64 by bushman66 »»
Apr 11, 12:00 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2022

59 by bushman66 »»
Apr 11, 11:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.