Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2008 9:35 AM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hm, since noone has made a discussion about the episode(?) I'll make one! :D

Well, I just finished the episode, and although the sound and video quality (I think it was a camrip or something -__-) was crappy, the beautiful story made up for it. I liked the new scenes which differed from the original Evangelion, but yes, most of the scenes were the same (but you can't get too much of eva!). and it seems like they are trying to explain more about the plot to make the fans understand more, which I also like. AND REI'S SMILE AT THE END I LIKED THE MOST!! <3 *dies*

However, since they've shortened the story and cut away a lot of scenes, it felt like the story went too fast forward sometimes... Like in the beginning when Shinji almost directly agrees to pilot, or when he disappears but comes back immeadiatly. I miss the old monologues and such...
Apr 19, 2008 5:32 PM
Apr 19, 2008 5:33 PM

Nov 2007
The DVD comes out in the 25th, afaik.
Apr 19, 2008 5:35 PM
Apr 20, 2008 3:26 PM

Aug 2007
Asako said:
The DVD comes out in the 25th, afaik.

crap i didn't know it was going to be out that soon.. i should have just waited :(

anyways, great episode. super fast paced but you really shouldnt be watching this unless you've seen the actual series.

Im really curious how far they're going to be develop the characters and how much theyll change the plot.

Can't wait :(
Apr 24, 2008 9:57 AM

Nov 2007
There was a dvd rip iso file up a few mins ago.The encoded raw is to come up soon.

I hope a fansub group will take it ASAP
Apr 24, 2008 1:18 PM

Apr 2008
I also saw the Camrip. Terrible subtitles, I don't like the japanese voice actors, and the subs were black in black areas, dark portions of the movie were indistinguishable, poor sound quality.
Camrip quality: 4/10
Movie Quality: 9/10
Apr 25, 2008 1:37 AM

Jan 2008
Watched it subtitled... great remake. If it weren't for the fact that I've seen it before and know the main plot it would get a higher score from me. Revamped soundtrack is wondrful and on par with fabulous visuals. 9/10 in my book

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 25, 2008 7:21 PM

Feb 2008
I got the DVD right now. It's a great remake. The CG is breath taking and the slight change of the lines and the character of Shinji is quite interesting.
Apr 26, 2008 11:29 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
The HD rip that's been out for the last day seems to do it the justice it needs. I like how nicely the updated graphics were incorporated, complete with more fluent animation and such. Excellent.
Apr 26, 2008 12:26 PM

Aug 2007
I cant wait until this gets subbed, I wish I knew which group was going to do it so I could keep checking their website.
Apr 26, 2008 2:28 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
I have no idea who deleted my post just now, but it linked to a torrent of a TEXT FILE with subtitles inside, for chrissakes. :\

Anyway, the point was that it already got subbed. Not anything stellar, but gets the job done alright.
moozoohApr 26, 2008 3:45 PM
Apr 26, 2008 3:44 PM

Aug 2007
Any fansub released it? I have only [NF] torrent but i dunno if its dvd qual.
Apr 26, 2008 9:59 PM

Mar 2008
Static said:
Any fansub released it? I have only [NF] torrent but i dunno if its dvd qual.

Yea [NF] is the one that subbed it. They subbed the raw from [IZ-DVD]. I had already downloaded the IZ-DVD one so I just used their script. It was fairly good quality.
Apr 27, 2008 2:15 AM

Feb 2008
Did anyone else purchase the DVD? My supplement film was Shinji at Rei's apratment.

I wanted to get Rei's part but mine is better than other people's ones like
Apr 27, 2008 8:46 PM

Nov 2007
Wow... this is truly a Masterpiece! So epic. I can´t think of even one aspect of this movie that could have been better than what i saw/heard/felt.
Everything was perfect and the new song by Utada Hikaru is even better than "Fly Me To The Moon".

I´m so looking forward to the second installment of this series.
Apr 28, 2008 9:14 AM

Aug 2007
Well i would love to buy the DVD but since (i think) it hasnt reached the Ocident i can't :|
Apr 28, 2008 4:09 PM

Apr 2008
An excellent remake, I thought at first that the Jap was going to bug me because I'm used to the Eng Dub of the original series but I wasn't fazed at all by the audio. I didn't mind the changes that they made either, nothing really changed the overall story and the remapped soundtrack was awesome. The new footage at the end is what really interests me. I hope the next movie comes into subs faster than this one did!
Apr 28, 2008 6:52 PM

Jun 2007
its a nice remake, but shinji still makes me sick each time i see him >.< geez, OH NOES I CANT FIGHT CAUSE IM SCARED /gg world. well at least he grows some balls later :P just cause he was abandoned by his dad when he was a child he is such a wuzz:P conquer your fears young one!
Apr 29, 2008 8:07 AM

Dec 2007
that was a verry good remastered movie or ova, i dont know if it was me but the animations where verry good, like when they activated eva01 for the 1st time and when they fired that beam rifle, that was made verry good

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Apr 29, 2008 3:20 PM

Nov 2007
Hurray for plenty of fanservice in the next movie <(^-^)>
Apr 29, 2008 3:56 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
This was really great, I enjoyed it a lot. Giving it a 9/10, the missing score is due to no Asuka. Yet. I'm really looking forward to 2.0.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 29, 2008 4:21 PM

Aug 2007
Apr 29, 2008 4:35 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I grabbed this one: http://www.tokyotosho.com/details.php?id=131637

Almost none of the 'status lines' you hear when things are being prepared etc. aren't subbed unfortunately, but the rest was pretty good, including the video quality.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 29, 2008 8:25 PM

Dec 2007
there was a sub one on tokyotosho, from nx subs i think it was

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Apr 29, 2008 9:20 PM

Sep 2007
Arkada said:
An excellent remake, I thought at first that the Jap was going to bug me because I'm used to the Eng Dub of the original series but I wasn't fazed at all by the audio. I didn't mind the changes that they made either, nothing really changed the overall story and the remapped soundtrack was awesome. The new footage at the end is what really interests me. I hope the next movie comes into subs faster than this one did!

What, you mean faster than TWO DAYS? Most groups won't work with bootleg films. Period (Although I did hear that someone had subbed a bootleg of this...oh well.).

I thought the voice acting and animation was up to par. It was nice to see crisper animation for this show. Still, a lot of it was rehash (I see they kept the tape player lol) and I felt like I was just watching the show again. Still, the battle with the sixth Angel was good. Having not seen End of Evangelion, I'm eagerly anticipating some new plot being introduced in the next movie.
Apr 30, 2008 7:16 AM
Oct 2007
Aww, 1 second (or less?) of Asuka in Preview, awesome! No Asuka in main movie so of course I'm disappointed but been ready for it and enjoyed this movie a lot. But this preview, umh wow, I'm dying to see it.
May 1, 2008 4:30 PM

Aug 2007
Hell this is how you make a Recap movie. 10/10... Still imho i would love if the movie was a bit more manga oriented than Anime Oriented :| The manga is awesome... And shinji is a bit less emo/fag.

About Shinji i was discussing it with a friend in the internet (while we were both watching the movie) and we both reached the conclusion that Shinji was the most "Human" character when Eva was made... This was in 10-15 minute. Then we reached the conclusion that most of the characters were more "Human" than the other characters were.
StaticMay 1, 2008 4:34 PM
May 3, 2008 1:15 PM

Mar 2007
Static said:
Hell this is how you make a Recap movie.

It's more of a remake rather than recap, though. As it's including things we never got to see in the series iirc.

Anyways, Ramiel must be the coolest creature there is. Loved the way he changed his shape when attacking. So I'm giving this a 9/10.
May 4, 2008 3:39 PM

Oct 2007
Recaps are remakes, since they're pretty much changing the plot.
May 4, 2008 7:56 PM

Apr 2007
You know, I'm not really sure how to approach this film.

Spoiler for banal TL;DR material:
May 8, 2008 12:10 PM

Aug 2007

What if there had been no earlier Evangelion and the new movies had been televised as a 12-episode 2008 series?

12 24 26 or wtv. Yes it would be a direct hit to the top 5. A bit like Code Geass R2
May 8, 2008 1:20 PM

Jan 2008
Wow!

I haven't seen the original series (shame on me), but I must say, this was absolutely fantastic. I had never expected such a thrilling, exciting and high-quality film.

I can understand that omitting some scenes and characters made the movie seem worse for some, but I as a person who has never seen the originals, think that's perfectly fine. I liked that the story moved quickly in contrast to some other movies I've seen where you actually get bored.

Blowing away mountains ftw!
Why have a life when you can watch slice of life?
May 10, 2008 1:17 AM

Oct 2007
Heh, finally got around to watching it. The thing was pretty epic with quality these days, but still took me a while to finish since rewatching things bore me a bit since I know what happened.

May 12, 2008 10:36 PM

Jun 2007
I agree with the people that thought it moved a little too fast. The movie was great, it just seemed like they where trying to fit everything in as fast as possible. Which is some cases was ok but other cases it was really bad.

Also, the second movie looks like its going to be entirely different from the TV series. Am I right about this? Having what's his name awaken on the moon and shown before Asuka even makes her appearance just seemed a bit weird to me considering he doesn't make his appearance till close to the end of the TV series.

Also what was up with the moon base? I don't remember that at all in the original story. Is that new? lol so angles are awaken and produced on the moon and then sent to earth? Totally new and interesting way to change the story. I wonder if the angles are actual creations of man and not of god.
May 20, 2008 6:27 PM

May 2008
I liked this first movie. Granted, it's been a while since I've seen Eva, so I didn't get the whole 'rushed' feeling, but I felt like they've depicted the first six episodes beautifully, from the improved graphics to the little changes and additions they've done to it.

And Utada Hikaru singing the theme was the cherry on the cake.

I liked how Rei didn't see Gendo's face when she looked at Shinji as she did in the original series. Episode 6 was one of my favourites, as is Rei as my favourite character. And while it seems hasty, I'd like to see how they handle showing Kaworu early. It does seem like they're veering off a bit, and even the notes that come with the DVD state what's happening and what's changing, which could come to the shock and dismay of completely hardcore Eva fans, but this IS called the "Rebuild" of Eva. Something's gotta change, and I'm liking it so far.
Jun 20, 2008 4:30 PM

Apr 2008
Terrific remake. Few things were new or change. If I was new to Neon Evangelion , I would probably gave this anime a 10 out of 10, but everything was so predictable and uninteresting.

If I was going to choose between the movie and the series. I would go with the movie. It is much better. Everything is accelerated and the quality is really good.
My score: 7/10.
Jul 2, 2008 2:39 PM
May 2008
cyruz said:
I grabbed this one: http://www.tokyotosho.com/details.php?id=131637

Almost none of the 'status lines' you hear when things are being prepared etc. aren't subbed unfortunately, but the rest was pretty good, including the video quality.
If you're talking about the technobabble that usually comes out of Misato's mouth, you might want to watch the Nyoro~n Fansubs version, since, if I remember correctly, it had them.
MrShepherdJul 2, 2008 6:47 PM
Jul 10, 2008 7:47 AM

Feb 2008
Finally watched this (had it for about 2 months now) =P

This was a very nice remake, I really liked it. The animation was simply superb.
My only complaint was that there was no Asuka, and they used a different "howl" for Unit-01 (it sounded different to me).
But I'm still going to give it 10/10. Can't wait for the 2nd movie ^_^
Jul 12, 2008 3:09 PM

Jan 2008
It's been YEARS since I saw anything Eva related. So watching this just brought back the memories, it felt very nostalgic. I cant remember what they've changed, either from the TV series or the earlier movies, but it's Eva regardless.

It really did reinvent the mecha genre with its Kubrick-like clinically detached direction and lofty abstract philosophical ambitions, there isnt any other show out there that depicts apocalyptic action as bleakly as this (except for Akira), and the main protagonist is so tortured I cant even sum up the strength to get annoyed like most viewers do, because he so realistically represents a nervous kid with daddy-issues, faced with ridiculous circumstances. I'll take that over a shithead like Eureka Seven's Renton any day of the week.

More ponderings:

# I wonder if Shinji is meant to be a metaphor for the average Japanese working salaryman that the country pumps out at a healthy rate? The constant pressure on him to work, the submissive attitude, the white button shirt, etc, etc.

# Second action scene in this movie is one of the best in the history of anime. I just love the fact that there's a gigantic rifle hidden in a gigantic skyscraper, ready for use.

# The only thing I dont like about this show is the mecha, which look like Power Rangers.

# Has anyone in the history of the world ever cosplayed as Shinji before? I'd love to do it myself. I'd just walk around the 'con in a white button shirt, black trousers, and randomly fall to my knees, holding my head in my hands, crying and screaming "I CANT DO IT! I CANT DO IT! I CANT DO IT!" and then I'd get back up and walk along like nothing ever happened.

# Who the HELL decided that having that Utada Hikaru tune in the end credits was a good idea!? I love Hikki, but damn what a bad choice.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 18, 2008 1:35 PM

May 2008
yiu
e- edited a bunch of stuff..kinda typed the original up while typsy
alarmedSep 30, 2008 10:43 PM
Jul 18, 2008 1:46 PM

Jan 2008
SlipperSleaze said:
]I love the EVAs, they were always one of the main things(music is also a very big reason I like eva as much as I do) that drew me to eva.They were different, brutal, I liked that.

Although I dont like the colour design of the mecha, what I love about this show is how creepy it all is. Namely: the mecha that was bashing its head against a wall, and the crucified alien thingy that looks like it's made out of marshmellow. Creepy.

Penguin dude still bugs me and feels out of place though.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 27, 2008 1:31 AM

Apr 2008
Watched not on DVD, not from the internet, but at the NZ Film Festival! On the big screen! With about half the people from Doujin Overload but whatever. Most epic thing ever, its so much better with the sounds blasted at you.
Jul 28, 2008 12:01 PM

Jul 2008
Not sure I like the new "voice" for Unit 01, didn't sound as released or unrestrained as I remember it ten or so years ago. The additional Rei nudity doesn't appeal to me either, I am a Rei fan but not because she's cute.... although she is very cute.

I agree it felt rushed in many places and there were some scene's that I thought should have been added in at first but as the movie progresses and the plot starts to change and become more apparent that this is not the original story, maybe those scene's were left out deliberately, Unit 01 protecting Shinji from falling lights for example.

NGE was my first anime and I became a hardcore fan from day one, I am not impressed with the new graphics, I would have liked to hear fly me to the moon on the close and I would have loved to hear a grand epic entry theme, but really it was well done for a movie.

Oh, just for the record, I gave it an extra point for stopping before Asuka got some screen time... just to put a needle in the Asuka fans sides....... can't make a first post without that!
Kind regards
Sidoen

Jul 29, 2008 4:11 AM

May 2008
Cihan said:
SlipperSleaze said:
]I love the EVAs, they were always one of the main things(music is also a very big reason I like eva as much as I do) that drew me to eva.They were different, brutal, I liked that.

Although I dont like the colour design of the mecha, what I love about this show is how creepy it all is. Namely: the mecha that was bashing its head against a wall, and the crucified alien thingy that looks like it's made out of marshmellow. Creepy.

Penguin dude still bugs me and feels out of place though.

You know I never got why a penguin of all animals.

Pen Pen is just...he never did much anyway..As for the creepy aspect of EVA, I think you're spot on.Unit 00's berserk scene is a classic wouldn't be too far fetched to say it's one of the most memorable.
Aug 6, 2008 10:13 PM

Jan 2008
I've never watched the original so I watched this not knowing what to expect.
I was pleasantly surprised, this was quite good. Though there are a few points that are left unanswered which may be answered later movies.

What are the Eva's are made of? Who is the enemy? Why only children pilots?

The idea of the mechas having a mind of their own and able to bleed is still weird concept to me, though I first saw this in Eureka Seven, I enjoyed this none the less. 9/10.
Aug 19, 2008 9:12 AM

Jul 2007
I finally got around to watching this last night, after not watching anything to do with Eva since I was... fifteen? So it's been a while. With that in mind, the movie struck me as very fresh, with a bit more pop from the improved animation and CG.

I forgot just how creepy and dark this show is, right off the bat. But it's so good, just like when I was younger I can't help but feel sympathetic to Shinji and his circumstances. He's very raw, which makes for good viewing. I feel like they're laying the groundwork for something big in movie two! It looks like Kaworu will be arriving then, I wonder how this will impact Shinji and the story as we know it? Also, the new girl - the meganekko, I wonder what she's about too.

Overall, a good watch but not too different from what I remember. Looking forward to the second movie and its potential differences. Also, this makes me want to rewatch the series, because I already feel impatient for the second movie.
Aug 19, 2008 9:18 AM

Jul 2008
aero said:
I was pleasantly surprised, this was quite good. Though there are a few points that are left unanswered which may be answered later movies.

The idea of the mechas having a mind of their own and able to bleed is still weird concept to me, though I first saw this in Eureka Seven, I enjoyed this none the less. 9/10.

Please continue to watch the series and if possible watch the orginals. I think you could watch them all before 2.0 comes out :) I think most of your questions will be answered, but you may find you will have a hundred more
Sep 3, 2008 8:25 PM

Feb 2008
aero said:

You should really watch the original series and End of Evangelion once you finish the original series.
Sep 3, 2008 8:35 PM

Jan 2008
Perposterone said:
Please continue to watch the series and if possible watch the orginals. I think you could watch them all before 2.0 comes out :) I think most of your questions will be answered, but you may find you will have a hundred more
Veronin said:
You should really watch the original series and End of Evangelion once you finish the original series.
*goes searching for the original*
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The last scene in Evangelion 1.0 is one of the best in all of anime

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

10 by El_Professor07 »»
Oct 18, 2022 7:49 AM

» Can I skip this?

jonnn9 - Aug 15, 2022

30 by Jayby »»
Aug 22, 2022 9:36 PM

» Am I the only one who was annoyed by the CGI?

Flugzeug - Jul 30, 2022

15 by Worm_Death »»
Jul 31, 2022 4:31 PM

» Gendou's Parenting Skills

KelpRings - Jul 27, 2022

0 by KelpRings »»
Jul 27, 2022 4:11 PM

» Should I drop the original and watch this instead?

Igreja - Jul 24, 2022

37 by TombER0N »»
Jul 27, 2022 9:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.