Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 8, 2022 12:14 AM

Mar 2021
I read it and its just... tough. Not even in the realistic kind of way, I think.
For me its just an obvious play with charas from Genshiken and exploring how would they behave in dysfunctional relationships with each other - or in these deviating from the norm.

Thats why I was pretty shocked to see that this manga was featured in 'Kono Manga ga Sugoi!' ranking of top 20 best female oriented mangas in 2015, ranked by manga industry professionals - AFAIK.
I cant understand - why?

In my opinion, this manga manages to be both dull and revolting. When I read slice of life, I expect to it to be relevant to struggles of many, or to just provide the comfort, fun. It does not do any of these things. I think you have to have serious masochistic streak to find it a good work.

Maybe people feel for characters and thats why they think its good? Maybe they appreciate the unorthodox. But for me, its just isnt enough: when the charas behaviors - while being somehow tied to their personality - have basically no point and provide no satisfaction for the reader.
Mar 15, 2023 6:14 AM

Jun 2009
itabanita said:
Maybe people feel for characters and thats why they think its good? Maybe they appreciate the unorthodox. But for me, its just isnt enough: when the charas behaviors - while being somehow tied to their personality - have basically no point and provide no satisfaction for the reader.

People will enjoy and read all sorts of things, in my experience.

For me, I just hate Spotted Flower. At first, I thought it was a fluffy but also pretty bland slice-of-life story about a husband and wife dealing with pregnancy (and they are both VERY OBVIOUS expies of Madarame and Saki). Then...the cheating and NTR plotline happened, and I bailed. I just do not like what they did to the characters, who are basically also copies of the Genshiken cast. Many people deny the connection between SF and GSKN...and I think they are being pretty naive to believe neither universe is connected at all. 

I just saw that the characters were finally given names, according to the MAL page, Tsuma and Otto. I guess Kio was pressured into trying to differentiate the two series more, probably due to backlash. 

More topics from this board

» This page is all sorts of wrong, not actually Saki and Madarame

melton80 - Apr 1, 2018

9 by superstaff »»
Mar 26, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Spotted Flower Chapter 39 Discussion

shutcardboard - Sep 1, 2023

1 by superstaff »»
Dec 13, 2023 1:38 AM

Poll: » Spotted Flower Chapter 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

11 by Sw3at »»
May 30, 2021 12:07 PM

Poll: » Spotted Flower Chapter 22 Discussion

Misiakk - Mar 18, 2018

14 by ALOC »»
Jul 7, 2019 5:28 PM

Poll: » Spotted Flower Chapter 10 Discussion

Misiakk - May 31, 2014

4 by theoriginalshew »»
Sep 22, 2018 6:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.